Opinions on neo-ps2 ports

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've got the original KOF2000 for ps2 but I'm finding almost nothing about whether or not this is even close to an arcade perfect port. Can anyone shed some light on the situation? Also are the KOF02 and KOF98 PS2 ports worth the purchase?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've got the original KOF2000 for ps2 but I'm finding almost nothing about whether or not this is even close to an arcade perfect port.
Do you enjoy it? If you do, what difference does it make if it's arcade perfect? I mean, honestly. Are you preparing for a KOF 2000 tournament or something? For what it's worth, I believe the 2000 port is just emulated like a lot of PS2 Neo ports. So if it's not perfect, any differences should be pretty minor.

And I don't know about '98, but I have the '02/'03 port and I can tell you it's very worth having.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
For what it's worth, I believe the 2000 port is just emulated like a lot of PS2 Neo ports. So if it's not perfect, any differences should be pretty minor.

I'm pretty sure the first three PS2 KOF games (00, 01, 02) were actual ports. I mean the first three stand-alone releases, and not the later multi-game-to-one-disc "Neo-Geo Collection" games.

Come to think of it, KOF01 and 02 were definitely ports because they had enhanced background stages.

I don't think the straight-up emulation started until they released the "Neo-Geo Collection" games. Even then, I heard there were some problems with some releases, like the "Last Blade" collection had sound issues or something or other.

The later "Neo-Geo Collection" releases were supposed to be pretty well perfect though.

I don't know if the Atomiswave games were ports or emulations (can you even emulate the AW on the PS2?), but I do know that Neo-Geo Battle Colosseum had really long loading times, 'cause I owned a copy.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Do you enjoy it? If you do, what difference does it make if it's arcade perfect? I mean, honestly. Are you preparing for a KOF 2000 tournament or something? For what it's worth, I believe the 2000 port is just emulated like a lot of PS2 Neo ports. So if it's not perfect, any differences should be pretty minor.

And I don't know about '98, but I have the '02/'03 port and I can tell you it's very worth having.

I was just curious, that's all. Arcade perfect or not, I can't tell the difference just like the PS3 input lag on PS2 games.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the first three PS2 KOF games (00, 01, 02) were actual ports. I mean the first three stand-alone releases, and not the later multi-game-to-one-disc "Neo-Geo Collection" games.

Come to think of it, KOF01 and 02 were definitely ports because they had enhanced background stages.

I don't think the straight-up emulation started until they released the "Neo-Geo Collection" games.
It's been a while since I popped them in, but I believe the 3D backgrounds were optional. The reason I remember them as being emulated is that at least in the case of 2000, they were emulated from the US MVS, which meant, among other things, no Mai "bounce", upsetting some people. Okay, upsetting me.

But yeah, I'm talking about the 2000/'01 and '02/'03 double-game releases.

tsukaesugi

Oh, OK, I see what you mean.

I always thought that "emulation" meant running an exact duplicate of the original game software, with no changes to the code (like adding backgrounds, extra music tracks, or training modes etc.)

I don't actually own any of the "Neo-Geo Collection" games, so I have no idea how many changes were made, or how accurate they are.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh, OK, I see what you mean.

I always thought that "emulation" meant running an exact duplicate of the original game software, with no changes to the code
Yeah, that's what I meant, too. I think they offered it as two separate modes. Like Original and Arranged, or something. I remember there was some gnashing of teeth on the SNK USA forum about them doing straight-up emulation from the US MVS, rather than emulating the Japanese version and adding the English text.

tsukaesugi

Ah ah, OK OK, I do understand you now. The default version of these PS2 games is like an "arranged emulation", but there's also a straight-up 1:1 emulation called "original mode".

The PS2 KOF94 Rebout had an "original mode" too, but IIRC it added the extra character "Saisyu", so it was still an arranged emulation.

(@lachlan: KOF94 Rebout is lots of fun, and also very worth picking up)

The XBLA KOF98 Ultimate Match also has an "original mode", but I can't remember if it includes the extra characters or not.

I really wish the XBLA KOF02 Ultimate Match had an "original mode" because the new background stages are terrible. SNKP at its absolute worst.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
I'd leave the attract mode for 2k1 near all the time if they hadn't swapped the arcade intro for some weird video using static art and bad death metal music.

2000 has Whip invisible-gun syndrome. The gun is there. It fires. It's just removed from the animation. So, bullets from an invisible gun.
2k1 Whip's gun is viewable.--lots of different background choices and a lot of weird "going through a vortex" action on the menu screen backgrounds.

2002 is alright.
2k3 I dunno... I blocked most of it out.

The 94-98 collection is okay as long as you're playing 95-97.
94 feels weird and 98 has strange lag and voice glitches.
If you want a good version of 98 on PS2, go for 98 Ultimate Match and play classic arcade mode.

--Speaking of, UM randomizes it's boss sequence and mid boss. Your mid-boss is based on performance and can be Shingo, Kasumi, Eiji, Rugal, Orochi-Iori, or Orochi-Leona.

Your second to last fight will be a clue as to what your boss will be.
Sports team? - Omega Rugal
Boss team? - Goenitz
Orochi New Face team? - Orochi

Only other collection I had something against was the Real Bout collection.
For some reason, it doesn't like my speaker setup. So, sound effects that use any amount of bass boom through my speakers as if the cones have just blown out--even though they haven't. Could be my TV card, but that's the only collection that does it.

There are others on the shelf. I really don't feel like starting up the PS2 to run through them right now.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd leave the attract mode for 2k1 near all the time if they hadn't swapped the arcade intro for some weird video using static art and bad death metal music.
Yeah, that was disappointing. Whatever complaints people might have had about 2001, it had a kickass intro.

That lame PS2 intro was a crime:

No es muy buen.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I've got most of the Japanese PS2 Neo-Geo collection titles, and I have to say that they're all pretty close, if not identical to the MVS originals.

The KoF Orochi Collection (KoF's 95 - 97) features all three original titles in what I would call a nigh on perfect set of ports. Certainly if there are any differences, they're so small as to say un-noticeable. The cool thing with these ports is you can either play the original cart OST, or choose the NeoCD arrange OST's.

KoF '98 Ultimate Match does feature the original KoF '98 and it's a perfect straight port.

KoF Nests Collection (KoF's 99 - 01) feature original ports as well as the arrange modes from the DC versions.

AoF collection is a straight set of ports, as is the Sunsoft Collection and Fuun Collection (Kizuna & Savage Reign)

The Last Blade ports are not quite there, but only just. The graphics and sound are fine but the difficulty on LB2 is well off, making it very challenging, especially to a casual player like myself. I certainly don't recall my AES copies being so difficult on the "easier" settings.

Not got Garou MotW, World Heroes Collection, ADK: Tamashii (yet) or the Samurai Spirits Collection (yet), but I haven't heard anything negative about them.

Overall, in my opinion the Japanese versions are all well worth picking up and are ideal substitutes for the MVS/AES originals.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury Battle Archives volume 1 has the flaw of the player not being able to use the hidden super desperation moves in Fatal Fury 3, because the Start button pauses the game. :loco: Fucking dumbasses. It's like they don't even know their own games when they are putting these compilations together.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
PS2 Garou is a whole world better than the DC version and as far as I can see it's pretty much the same. I thought the Nest collection was a terrible port? I must've heard wrong. Despite the fact that I've got an MVS I'm still very interested in having a few neo ports, sometimes I think it's just a hell of a lot easier to insert a disc.

Fatal Fury Battle Archives volume 1 has the flaw of the player not being able to use the hidden super desperation moves in Fatal Fury 3, because the Start button pauses the game. :loco: Fucking dumbasses. It's like they don't even know their own games when they are putting these compilations together.

Doesn't suprise me one bit, then again I didn't even know that.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
lol, totally forgot about Garou Battle Archives! Well, I would say, that again, these are pretty much perfect ports of the originals, but Southtownkid has shot me down there!

Didn't know about that hsdm thing with Garou 3, not a massive fan of the game so that feature would just pass me by I guess.

The port of Real Bout 2 is awesome imo, one of my favourite neo games, so glad the port is so good. :)

tsukaesugi

LOL @ the no-HSDMs in Fatal Fury 3. That's just classic SNKP.

I just checked the XBLA KOF98 UM, and yeah the original mode doesn't have the extra characters either, it's just the original KOF98.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
KOF 2000 - Slower speed, but has added transparencies in special moves and better shadows.

KOF 2001 - Stiffer controls and rougher sprites. Better backgrounds, but that isn't saying much.

KOF 2002 - Glitchy controls. When you do a CD, but a C comes out. Rough, pixelated sprites.

KOF 2003 - Perfect

KOF XI - Perfect

KOF neowave - Perfect

KOF orochi - muffled audio, but gameplay is perfect

KOF nests - Perfect

KOF 98 UM - Perfect

KOF 2002 UM(tougeki) - Glitches still present from original UM unlike the arcade version. So, not perfect except for the original KOF 2002.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
KOF 2002 UM(tougeki) - Glitches still present from original UM unlike the arcade version. So, not perfect except for the original KOF 2002.

I'm assuming that this release includes the original arcade game?

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
Original arcade 2k2 is in. Perfect version. I don't recommend tougeki unless you don't own the original KOF 2k2 UM.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
KOF XI is fantastic. Arcade perfect. Such a rad game too; with flashes of brilliance like this, it makes me sad for what could have been. Playmore's uneven output consistency just doesn't make sense...

mesmer

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
How do the PS2 ports compare to the latest MAME?

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
might pick up KOFUM98 at the store near me before I leave, it's only $9.89