2.5/2D side scrolling beat em ups/belt fighters - Whats Next?

Khan

New Challenger
Ok so this genre has suffered in the past with the lack of titles, I mean we got some great stuff on cps2,pgm,pgm2 I love this genre but I cannot understand why developers just dont surface with games......I mean we all know how popular Streets of rage remixed was and how the Beats Of Rage community grew massively.

When will companies start supporting developers who want to make games in this genre and What will we see next?

seriously the last 2d side brawler that got me peeing in my pants for anticipation was Oriental Legend 2 and I ended up buying that!

So does anyone have some input or lists of expected games that are coming out be it on xbox360/psp/ps3/ds/wii/arc?

G-Mantle

False Accuser, ITG
Ok so this genre has suffered in the past with the lack of titles, I mean we got some great stuff on cps2,pgm,pgm2 I love this genre but I cannot understand why developers just dont surface with games......I mean we all know how popular Streets of rage remixed was and how the Beats Of Rage community grew massively.

When will companies start supporting developers who want to make games in this genre and What will we see next?

seriously the last 2d side brawler that got me peeing in my pants for anticipation was Oriental Legend 2 and I ended up buying that!

So does anyone have some input or lists of expected games that are coming out be it on xbox360/psp/ps3/ds/wii/arc?

There is a beat 'em up for DS called Tokyo Beat Down published by Atlus. Looks like Die Hard Arcade and Dynamite Cop.

Khan

New Challenger
Yep I already have that ;)

its too bad its not a 2d sprite game I think it would have been better imo

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Ever play Ikkitousen - Eloquent Fist on the PSP?

Khan

New Challenger
yea ive played that, another one ive enjoyed is the guilty gear on the psp GG judgment :)

Khan

New Challenger
bump - just wanted to ask if anyone knew of any new 2d brawlers in development?

Lochlan - I disagree dude, the thing is people love to play co-op and side scrolling fighters are perfect for such. The problem I can see is longevity......most of this genre is filled with games that can take less than an hour to finish and this is the problem for me, thankfully oriental legends 2 is filled with so many secrets and different paths as well as housing tons of hidden powerups and story paths it would take months of playing to discover them all.

With all the current technology we have and the popularity the games industry has in todays times why cant sony or mircosoft release a game of this genre on something like Live? or PSN network? we got castle crashers on Live but we need more dammit! :(

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I don't think it would take too much effort to make longer beat-em-up games these days. However, Sengoku 3 was long enough that it felt too drawn out. I love the games, but I can't see new ones being full-price titles. I personally don't like paying for downloadable content. However, if a company was to release a budget ($20) beat-em-up for Xbox 360, I'd buy it if it was well-done.

Beat-Em-Ups were a more viable form of game when games relied more on difficulty than actual length to give a game longevity. They were also better suited to arcades. In a day and age where people want many many hours of gameplay, and arcades are all but dead, beat-em-ups don't really have a place anymore. It's sad. I wonder if one could make a system of levelling up and getting new weapons and characters, (like the next step beyond Sengoku 3,) in combination with incorporating enough depth of moves that it could double as a 2D fighting game (a la GanGan) to give a modern beat-em-up enough longevity to make it worth paying a reasonable amount for.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Ever play Ikkitousen - Eloquent Fist on the PSP?

And boy does it suck!

I don't think it sucks, although I did at first. It just takes some time to get used to. Once you get into the mechanics and start throwing bad guys into clumps and hit 'em with a super attack, it becomes more enjoyable.

But yeah, the graphics are the main selling point, not the gameplay. They're how I always imagined 2D would evolve into if 3D hadn't taken over.

Just like shoot 'em ups, the whole beat 'em up genre is pretty obsolete though. Every game tends to be the same. I think Double Dragon II for NES is the most fun game of this type.

What's next indeed.

I love beat-em-ups, but maybe the genre is inherently unable to handle more complexity. Personally, I think these games pretty much peaked with Sengoku 3.

The only definitive thing I was able to culminate from that link is that "icycalm" reminds me of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. Combative, irritating, and nerdy in a bad way. I hope that's not you, Lochlan. :D

Last edited:

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
I don't think it sucks, although I did at first. It just takes some time to get used to. Once you get into the mechanics and start throwing bad guys into clumps and hit 'em with a super attack, it becomes more enjoyable.

But yeah, the graphics are the main selling point, not the gameplay. They're how I always imagined 2D would evolve into if 3D hadn't taken over.

Just like shoot 'em ups, the whole beat 'em up genre is pretty obsolete though. Every game tends to be the same. I think Double Dragon II for NES is the most fun game of this type.

The only definitive thing I was able to culminate from that link is that "icycalm" reminds me of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. Combative, irritating, and nerdy in a bad way. I hope that's not you, Lochlan. :D

I'll give you that the graphics are decent, but the underage characters don't do it for me.
It is your opinion, but play some Guardians(Denjin Makai II), Gladiator, AvP, etc, and then come back to Eloquent Fist. It does no hold a candle to them.