Thread: Installing a Unibios 2.0 in a MV-1B & MV-1C

Bling kills, but...

icon16.gif Installing a Unibios 2.0 in a MV-1B & MV-1C

Could someone please give me the pin layout of the chip from the bios to the board. Is it neccesary to put a waffer on the chip to install? And is it possible to piggy back it?
    Last edited by Alex0916; 09-12-2004 at 08:29 PM.
    Awesome members I had transactions with: BIG BEAR, Biocat, Retrogamer, The Worm2, Magician, kobylka68, Jeff Kurtz(2x), Battle Version, mikace01, neogeofusion, cdurant, buttasuperb,Trieu, MDGamesales, outsider, cLo, gemen(3x), geekabilly, Cnidarian, neo-geo 2, Sonic Blast, deffty, 2point0, Sundance, B.I.GPSYCHE(2x), Ken Masters, Snair Dogg, NeoGeo on Brain, subbie, Neo-Store, mdog, D-Lite(2x), Terry330, Division, norton9478, Bulletnyourass, and more just can't remeber them all right now.

Cheng's Errand Boy

It looks like it is very hard to change the bios in a MV-1B motherboard. Look at this set of pictures and decide if you want to try.

http://unibios.free.fr/soldered/

Anyone know if the bios in a MV-1C are a prom or a surface mount chip?

Bling kills, but...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGeo on Brain
    It looks like it is very hard to change the bios in a MV-1B motherboard. Look at this set of pictures and decide if you want to try.
    Well it's not me who is going to try it's my friend. He has done plenty modds before I just need to get the pin layout so he can do it. Someone please me as soon as I get this info I'm heading straight to my friends house so he can install it.
    Awesome members I had transactions with: BIG BEAR, Biocat, Retrogamer, The Worm2, Magician, kobylka68, Jeff Kurtz(2x), Battle Version, mikace01, neogeofusion, cdurant, buttasuperb,Trieu, MDGamesales, outsider, cLo, gemen(3x), geekabilly, Cnidarian, neo-geo 2, Sonic Blast, deffty, 2point0, Sundance, B.I.GPSYCHE(2x), Ken Masters, Snair Dogg, NeoGeo on Brain, subbie, Neo-Store, mdog, D-Lite(2x), Terry330, Division, norton9478, Bulletnyourass, and more just can't remeber them all right now.

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

The pin layout is identical to the 27C1024 chip used to hold the UNIVERSE BIOS, 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 and so on.

Please let us know how you go and pictures during the process would be nice also as this is one of the harder mods to do.

Raz
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Kula's Candy
    I modded a MV1b before but I don't really recommended it.
    The mv1b comes with Irritating maze and cannot be used with normal MVS games if you don't mod the bios.

Its very tedious, time consuming and frustrating,
    had to be very careful with it.

The pins out is exactly the same as a 27C1024C eprom like what razoola say;
    (1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc..) just put the eprom(unibios) on top of the original bios and solder wires to the legs.
    I used a socket for it for future upgrade.

See pictures;

Tech Support Moderator

The 1C is not the same as all other MVS boards. The 1C uses a 57C4200 equivalent pinout. I've sent you two PDF's -- one for 27C1024 equivalent (1B board) and one for 57C4200 equivalent (1C board).

I recommend putting the socket on a perf board for extra stability too.

If you stick a 27C1024 on a 1C (without the proper wiring), it won't work.

Jeff

Camel Slug

Ugh. That does not look fun.
    WTB broken AES's, controllers, AC adapters, orphaned Neo stuff!

Great to deal with: Insaneclown, NexWave, Maxlords, lithy, NeoBob, johnkiddier, JMKurtz, Tung Fu Rue, Joe McCabe, BIG BEAR, Razoola, Star Phoenix

For ALL of your videogame and iPod repair or modification service needs: http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/

yeah i'm havin the same problem, i really want a bios but have a MV-1B >.< very anoying, i cant really be bothered with all the fiddly work so i guess i'll just buy a new MVS board.

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

Quote Originally Posted by JMKurtz
    The 1C is not the same as all other MVS boards. The 1C uses a 57C4200 equivalent pinout. I've sent you two PDF's -- one for 27C1024 equivalent (1B board) and one for 57C4200 equivalent (1C board).

Jeff
    Can you send me that 57C4200 pdf also please

Raz
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Disciple Of Orochi

Jeff
    So is is possible to mod a MVS-1C with unibios, have you done one yet?

Tech Support Moderator

Yes, I've done a few of them on 1B and 1C.

However, I am running out of 57C4200 eproms rather quick so I will have to start wiring them to use 27C1024 eproms, which really isn't a bad thing as the 1024 is cheaper and easier to find.

The nice thing about the 57C4200 (or M27C400) is that they are 4 Mb, which means you could easily put up to 4 bios images on a single chip -- a normal bios & uni-bios would be an example, and use a switch to toggle between the two.

Of course, you can do the same on the other MVS boards too, just pick up a 27C2048 for two bios images or a 27C4096 or M27C4002 for 4 bios images. With the uni-bios though, all you would really need is the standard bios and uni-bios. Those that have the 1B though, you could have a nice bios set up for UNI/Normal/IMaze.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by neo_X7
    So is is possible to mod a MVS-1C with unibios, have you done one yet?

Tech Support Moderator

Here are the links to the two different rom pinouts we are discussing...

M27C400 - http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/6674.pdf
    M27C1024 - http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/2381.pdf

The 27C400 is the equivalent to what you would find on a 1C, except of course in DIP package, not SOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Razoola
    Can you send me that 57C4200 pdf also please

Raz

Cheng's Errand Boy

Lightbulb Multi Bios MV-1B board

Those that have the 1B though, you could have a nice bios set up for UNI/Normal/IMaze.

Jeff

Would solve a lot of problems. ROTD for one. Do you have a MV-1B running with a multi bios? More of a mod than I would want to try but if someone is doing this mod I would pay to have it done.

Thread Information