Hyper 64 about to be emulated?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Cool I'd like to give some of these games a play, especially the ones hardest to play since it requires the dedicated hardware like Beat Busters 2nd Nightmare and the driving games.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I don't care for emulating, but does this not mean that we can get a Hyper64 Unibios now?

J0e Musashi said:
I don't care for emulating, but does this not mean that we can get a Hyper64 Unibios now?

Why would you need a Hyper64 Unibios? :spock:

The games are not censored for the Japanese nor the English boards. The only exception is the Korean board that censores blood, but it only plays the Samurai Showdown (Samurai Spirits) games.

Therefore, a unibios for the Hyper64 will be useless in my opinion.

About the emulation, I just hope it fails. Call me an eilist, but I rather keep the Hyper64 games exclusive to that system.

Charles

Last edited:

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
Charles Franklin Fernandez said:
About the emulation, I just hope it fails. Call me an eilist, but I rather keep the Hyper64 games exclusive to that system.

Charles

agreed. it will happen eventually of course, and most people won't care much when it is emulated, but it'd be a shame to see warrior's rage on PC for some reason.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Yeah you guys are elitist pricks, they never got ported except for Wild Ambition so bring it on.

WA and the first SS games are now in mame as non-working games.

Nesagwa said:
Yeah you guys are elitist pricks, they never got ported except for Wild Ambition so bring it on.

WA and the first SS games are now in mame as non-working games.

Oh no, the HORROR!!! Aside from Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, SNK did not realease anymore inferior ports of their Hyper Neo Geo 64 games. The horror, the horror...

Compared to five years ago, the hyper 64 games and boards are dirt cheap. But nooooooooooo instead of buying them and enjoy them in an arcade setup (or at least via a supergun) as they were meant to be, you want an emulator so you can play the ROMS on your computer or modded XBOX. Oh yeah and you feel a lot better calling other members that have the kits and gave their opinion about not wanting a Hyper 64 emulator pricks.

Boy you are really mature... :rolleyes:

Charles

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Charles,

Don't waste your time arguing with this invecile moron, called nesagwa.
It's not even worth it. Just add him to your ignore list, you will do yourself
a favor.

Oh no, the HORROR!!! Aside from Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, SNK did not realease anymore inferior ports of their Hyper Neo Geo 64 games. The horror, the horror...

Compared to five years ago, the hyper 64 games and boards are dirt cheap. But nooooooooooo instead of buying them and enjoy them in an arcade setup (or at least via a supergun) as they were meant to be, you want an emulator so you can play the ROMS on your computer or modded XBOX. Oh yeah and you feel a lot better calling other members that have the kits and gave their opinion about not wanting a Hyper 64 emulator pricks.

Boy you are really mature... :rolleyes:

Charles

xtoo_short20x said:
Charles,

Don't waste your time arguing with this invecile moron, called nesagwa.
It's not even worth it. Just add him to your ignore list, you will do yourself
a favor.

Thanks for the advice.

Charles

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
kafuin_gaira said:
agreed. it will happen eventually of course, and most people won't care much when it is emulated, but it'd be a shame to see warrior's rage on PC for some reason.
Welcome back. For the 4 fighting games, it seems the board and games aren't too rare or too expensive, so there isn't much need for it...

But...

I've never even seen the driving games, or the games that only work on the other board. There's also zero chance I'm going to end up with a cab with a steering wheel and whatnot to play those other games. I wouldn't mind at least seeing what these games look like.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Meh...if it's gonna be running off MAME I imagine it won't be won't be playable for another 3 years afterwards anyway....If it can barely handle the poly count for something like Ehrgiez, then there is no fucking way it'll run HNG 64 games properly. At least, not for a LONG time.

Personally, I just wish there was an arcade supplier somewhere in Toronto where I could just pick up the whole godamn cabinet and be done with it. >_<

Spectre

Banned
Nesagwa said:

Yeah you are a cheapskate prick, you'll never lay down the cash for a Hyper64 so fuck right off.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Why would you need a Hyper64 Unibios? :spock:

The games are not censored for the Japanese nor the English boards. The only exception is the Korean board that censores blood, but it only plays the Samurai Showdown (Samurai Spirits) games.

Therefore, a unibios for the Hyper64 will be useless in my opinion.

Charles

Well for cheats and with a bit of luck that all important pause feature. A CRC check and jukebox would be OK too. It's just something Raz told me a while back, that's where I got the idea.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Sp0o/\/?! said:
Meh...if it's gonna be running off MAME I imagine it won't be won't be playable for another 3 years afterwards anyway....If it can barely handle the poly count for something like Ehrgiez, then there is no fucking way it'll run HNG 64 games properly. At least, not for a LONG time.

Personally, I just wish there was an arcade supplier somewhere in Toronto where I could just pick up the whole godamn cabinet and be done with it. >_<

Thats a good point its gonna play as glitchy as shit on even the fastest of PCs, but at least it will give some a look see at the NG64.
Im pleased its being emulated and realise it wont be even close to perfect for quite a while, dont hold your breath.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Yes, it is definitely being worked on. So you can begin griping in full earnest.

For what it's worth, I look forward to quality HNG64 emulation (and before anyone jumps on my case, note that I have three Hyper boards of my own, so shut up). It's a ways off, but there is always the possible benefits... texture smoothing, sound interpolation, crystal clear picture, netplay, higher resolution display... note that those are only the potentials, not definite features.

Not to mention that it will give more people the opportunity to play the driving/shooting games... and from a personal perspective, the sheer convenience factor of not having to drag out the Sigma/Hyper setup, with all the wires and crapola, is highly appealing to me. ;P

-Deuce

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Deuce said:
Yes, it is definitely being worked on. So you can begin griping in full earnest.

For what it's worth, I look forward to quality HNG64 emulation (and before anyone jumps on my case, note that I have three Hyper boards of my own, so shut up). It's a ways off, but there is always the possible benefits... texture smoothing, sound interpolation, crystal clear picture, netplay, higher resolution display... note that those are only the potentials, not definite features.

Not to mention that it will give more people the opportunity to play the driving/shooting games... and from a personal perspective, the sheer convenience factor of not having to drag out the Sigma/Hyper setup, with all the wires and crapola, is highly appealing to me. ;P

-Deuce

Finally someone spoke with wisdom.

I'm looking foward the fighters. The shipping costs and taxes to import a H64 setup to here are proibitive.

Last edited:

Kumavnmitsurugi

Marked Wolf
i used t ohave a hyper neo 64 w/ beast busters and the thing served me very well..
if hyper neo 64 is emulated then i wont care, none of the games were really worth playing, except for beast busters.

i dont have a problem with emulation , but idont support it..... please buy a real hyper neo, the emu will be nothing like the real thing

Verythrax said:
Finally someone spoke with wisdom.

I'm looking foward the fighters. The shipping costs and taxes to import a H64 setup to here are proibitive.

I disagree. He did not speak with wisdom, instead he spoke BS, IMHO.

So he has 3 mother boards, big freaking deal, I have four mother boards each inside their respective cabs.

And those possible features do not impress me one bit because I am a purist. And I believe that a game should be played as it was first released.

And like the guy above me said, I do not have anything against emulation, but I do not and will not support it. Therefore, if there are people working on an emulator, then more power to them. As I still wish that they fail.

Charles

p.s.- And that excuse of yours is not valid at all. That is the typical excuse that most emulators supporters have. If you cannot afford it, then save some money for it. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I wasn't bragging. I was simply making the point that I'm not just a ROM-kiddie. And the HNG64 is years past anything even remotely close to viability. Given EvilWasabi's tales to me of boards and carts dying, I'd say HNG64 emulation now falls squarely into the realm of preservation. Let's face it: the hardware was not built to last like the 16-bit.

Sure, it's still gray-market, and notably less than legal, like pretty much all emulation is. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have its positive points.

Of course, the hardcore purist can be happy with the original hardware, and with good reason. It's good stuff. I spent several hundred dollars on my HNG64 setup (mostly from the Sigma), and I don't regret it a bit. On the other hand, it's good that more people will get to play these games (or hell, even SEE them, given the system's crappy distribution). But I implore you, don't piss on everyone else's parade. This isn't remotely the same as people dumping/emulating brand new MVS titles.

And in my case, given that SNK is highly unlikely to do what I'd so love for them to... that being, make a revamped 3D remake of Asura Zanmaden for consoles, with more characters and selectable gameplay modes between SS64, AZ and SS!2... an emu-beefed up version of AZ (one of my favorites of the SS series) would be a nice consolation prize.

-Deuce

Deuce said:
I wasn't bragging. I was simply making the point that I'm not just a ROM-kiddie. And the HNG64 is years past anything even remotely close to viability. Given EvilWasabi's tales to me of boards and carts dying, I'd say HNG64 emulation now falls squarely into the realm of preservation. Let's face it: the hardware was not built to last like the 16-bit.

Sure, it's still gray-market, and notably less than legal, like pretty much all emulation is. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have its positive points.

Of course, the hardcore purist can be happy with the original hardware, and with good reason. It's good stuff. I spent several hundred dollars on my HNG64 setup (mostly from the Sigma), and I don't regret it a bit. On the other hand, it's good that more people will get to play these games (or hell, even SEE them, given the system's crappy distribution). But I implore you, don't piss on everyone else's parade. This isn't remotely the same as people dumping/emulating brand new MVS titles.

And in my case, given that SNK is highly unlikely to do what I'd so love for them to... that being, make a revamped 3D remake of Asura Zanmaden for consoles, with more characters and selectable gameplay modes between SS64, AZ and SS!2... an emu-beefed up version of AZ (one of my favorites of the SS series) would be a nice consolation prize.

-Deuce

Well thank you for this better explanation. I admit that I was a bit pissed for the attitute that I got from your previous post, and I apologize for offending you in any way, shape, or form.

I am not pissing on anyone's parade, I was just stating my opinion.
To be honest with you, I just wish that SNK Playmore just released a complete Hyper Neo-Geo 64 collection for either the GameCube, PS2, or even XBOX. At least these games would be released from the true IP holders instead of the other option. I know this is wishfull thinking, but if SNK Playmore got a petition with more than enough signatures, anything could be possible.

I also understand your concerns about the Hyper's quality, and let me assure you that, if treated properly, these mother boards will last a very long time. Usually the burned up rev. 1 boards were the result of users, who did not connect the extra power supply harness as stated in the manual. This problem was solved with the rev. 2 board, but it was only released in Japan. Carts can go bad if they are not handled or stored correctly just like home carts.

Anyway I can see were you are comming from, so I will not bring this issue up anymore.

Charles

p.s.- But I am still curious, how many people would be interested for SNK Playmore to realease a complete Hyper Neo-Geo 64 collection?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
p.s.- But I am still curious, how many people would be interested for SNK Playmore to realease a complete Hyper Neo-Geo 64 collection?

I'd pee myself at the suggestion. An updated Asura Zanmaden that included SS64's Dekuina Osu/Mesu + Kuroko would be to die for.

Deku-Osu > Rase.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!

It's not a matter of being interested or not. That games were engulfed by the low success/power of the system and poor graphic execution. The 2 SS64, as example, have a killer game engine. A fews tweaks in the game system and SC2 quality graphics would turn them in a instant success.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --

I would probably pounce on it myself, especially if it included the racing and beast-buster games along with the fighting games.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Considering that I don't know a single person even on these boards who owns a working version of one of the HNG64 racing or shooting games, I'd really be happy to see these get emulated. I think with these particular games we're well past the point where it's reasonable for anyone to obtain a working cab of anything that's not one of the fighters.

SSS

neo retired
Meh, Mame can't even run Cruisn World on my 3ghz with a Nvidia G-Force FX card. Mame isn't optimized and I'd love to see it try to emulate a 64 bit RISC processor with decent speed on today's computers. It's PSX based code is still ass, I have better luck with Zinc.