Best type of monitor for MVS?

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I recently bought a Big Red stand up cab. The monitor has some flickering issues so I thought I would try a new monitor. I tried a wells gardner standard res 25" monitor(It has a resolution of 600 x 200). I actually like the old monitor better (when it is working properly). Problems with the wells gardner monitor: 1)It looks very pixelly (I guess because it is brand new and cannot display the full MVS resolution of 320 x 224) and 2)The scan lines show up more than the original 1992 25" Zenith monitor (Seems like the resolution again).

Here's my question: Should I stick with the wells gardner or try out another type of monitor with a resolution more suited to the MVS (I saw a samsung 25" monitor on ebay with a resolution of 320 x 240). If anyone has a monitor like this, please let me know any helpful hints or facts I have not thought of.
Thanks for the help.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Jack Burton said:
I recently bought a Big Red stand up cab. The monitor has some flickering issues so I thought I would try a new monitor. I tried a wells gardner standard res 25" monitor(It has a resolution of 600 x 200). I actually like the old monitor better (when it is working properly). Problems with the wells gardner monitor: 1)It looks very pixelly (I guess because it is brand new and cannot display the full MVS resolution of 320 x 224) and 2)The scan lines show up more than the original 1992 25" Zenith monitor (Seems like the resolution again).

Here's my question: Should I stick with the wells gardner or try out another type of monitor with a resolution more suited to the MVS (I saw a samsung 25" monitor on ebay with a resolution of 320 x 240). If anyone has a monitor like this, please let me know any helpful hints or facts I have not thought of.
Thanks for the help.

Just Curious..
Did your cab come with ....(Original 1992 25" Zenith monitor)Originally but had been replaced at sometime?

I thought all Big Reds only came with Wells Gardner Monitors(?) whereas you would be putting the original type monitor back in the cab..

(I don't know anything about resolution/please forgive me)

When I first saw the thread I re-checked all my MVS manuals and they say Wells Gardner (19K7100 25")
Then to be sure again as to what I have in my Big Red I took off the back Monitor panel and though I don't understand what I'm looking for I do See WG in places.
Though the seller said he replaced the monitor with an Original Type I can't tell/The monitor has always worked perfectly clear and looks to have always been in the Cab..Plus I don't know how long the seller had the cab...(and he could of been full of it)

I don't know if Big Red came with other types of Monitors though they may have I'm just curous and I'm looking to learn something new here that I didn't know..

My Candy Cab however has a 25" Toshiba Monitor in it that Must have an Isolation Transformer somewhere on it's chassis because I can't find one in the cab and the Monitor has it's own AC plug.
(something when buying a monitor for a US cab that may be important)

The 25" Toshiba Monitor in the Candy can IMO looks much better then the one in my Big Red "but"..It's behind clear Glass whereas the Monitor in my Big Red is behind Tinted Glass(dark)

Do you have the Tinted Glass in your Big Red..?

Playing games on the Candy Cabs monitor is Pure Eye Candy Gaming Bliss..It looks so damn nice..
But then I don't know if that's a resolution thing or a Glass thing.

I like the monitor in the Big Red though and I've never tried playing the cab with the Tinted Glass off... It may be much Brighter with it off looking like the Candy Cabs Monitor.....
Or is the Toshiba just a better Monitor..?

Could tweaking the monitor adjustments clear up the scan lines or the pixels on your WG monitor..?

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Thanks for the reply and information.
I have tinted glass over the monitor. I'm not sure whether the cabinet originally had the zenith monitor in it. You mentioned something about tweaking the monitor. Is it possible to change the monitor's sharpness? (I wouldn't mind turning it down just a bit) If it is possible, let me know. I did not see any place to change that on the monitor. I did see a B+ adjust knob, a screen adjust knob, and a focus knob. I'm sure I could make the screen a little less sharp with the focus knob, but I don't think that it is a good thing to mess with the focus knob. I'm not sure what the B+ knob does. I did not feel like messing with it. If you know what it is for let me know.

I will say that the wells gardner had very good color and contrast (even through the tinted glass), whereas my old zenith does not. It seems to have a washed-out look to it.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Jack Burton said:
Thanks for the reply and information.
I have tinted glass over the monitor. I'm not sure whether the cabinet originally had the zenith monitor in it. You mentioned something about tweaking the monitor. Is it possible to change the monitor's sharpness? (I wouldn't mind turning it down just a bit) If it is possible, let me know. I did not see any place to change that on the monitor. I did see a B+ adjust knob, a screen adjust knob, and a focus knob. I'm sure I could make the screen a little less sharp with the focus knob, but I don't think that it is a good thing to mess with the focus knob. I'm not sure what the B+ knob does. I did not feel like messing with it. If you know what it is for let me know.

I will say that the wells gardner had very good color and contrast (even through the tinted glass), whereas my old zenith does not. It seems to have a washed-out look to it.

Is it possible to change the monitor's sharpness?
Yes..

You should have a small monitor adjustment pot pcb board located under the control panel..

I figure every monitor has this small monitor adjustment pot pcb board ...(?)
The WG monitor should have one...and it would of had to be unplugged when you removed it..

All my cabs have this small monitor adjustment pot pcb board in some way..

Sometimes they are hidden like in my Candy cab but the wires going the monitor adjustment pot pcb board in upright can't be missed when you take out or instal a monitor..
Sometimes they are mounted inside the cabinet on the side/inside..

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Yeah, mine has an adjustment board. But it only lets me adjust the contrast, brightness, vertical position, vertical hold, horizontal position, and width. Sorry, no sharpness control.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Jack Burton said:
Yeah, mine has an adjustment board. But it only lets me adjust the contrast, brightness, vertical position, vertical hold, horizontal position, and width. Sorry, no sharpness control.

Yea,that'll be the one..
Hmmm...

I need to locate my old thread where ttooddddyyexplained to me how to adjust the monitor in my Neo Gold Machine using that focus button in the back..

If you'd like shoot ttooddddyy a PM..He's the mastermind of monitors..

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
chris1 said:
Yea,that'll be the one..
Hmmm...

I need to locate my old thread where ttooddddyyexplained to me how to adjust the monitor in my Neo Gold Machine using that focus button in the back..

If you'd like shoot ttooddddyy a PM..He's the mastermind of monitors..

After trying to locate my own threads with numerous tries all I get is....Or a hanging screen..

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 129 bytes) in /home/www/neo-geo/forums/search.php on line 815

Here's the one after looking through my started threads.?not using the search Engine.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94576

Last edited:

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
Zenith is just the maker of the pic tube. Did you try adjusting the Vert size? I know when I adj the vert size to big I can see more of the scan lines. If it is a 4 slot the adj pot for the vert size is the pot on the bottom right when you open the control panel.

Last edited:
Cap kit may be in order, i always thought that the neo 25"s came with the wg 7000 series monitor in it . zenith made the tube , the chassis is a wgk7000 series :mr_t:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
arcadecalgary said:
Cap kit may be in order,

i always thought that the neo 25"s came with the wg 7000 series monitor in it . zenith made the tube , the chassis is a wgk7000 series
:mr_t:

Could be..

If I took pics of the back of my monitor could you tell me what it is..?

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I found a setting I can live with for my new wells gardner 25" monitor. I did like you said (interestingly I came to the same conclusion without reading your post). I figured that since it keeps the 200 line resolution no matter how big the screen was, I would just letter-box it a bit.
The funny thing is that I had to take it to be de-gaused because it had strange colors on the top and bottom of the screen due to magnetic interference. The reason I knew it was that was because the patterns changed when I turned the whole game 180 degrees. I brought it to a local tv repair shop and they took care of it. It looks pretty damn fine now. So if you are having any discoloration problems on your screen like this I would suggest getting it de-gaused (or de-magnetized).And now with a brand new monitor I shouldn't have to worry about problems for a while.
Oh well, back to playing my new arcade cab to death.
Thanks, guys.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
chris1 said:
Cool..Setting up a pic now..

There is a Sticker on the chassis that says WG and some numbers but to be honest I can't get the Camera in there to get a pic..
I tried but I'm freaken scared to get my butt shocked.. :tickled:

2004_0815_195951AA.jpg

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
chris1 said:
There is a Sticker on the chassis that says WG and some numbers but to be honest I can't get the Camera in there to get a pic..
I tried but I'm freaken scared to get my butt shocked.. :tickled:

2004_0815_195951AA.jpg

I think I got my answer..

I typed in the numbers on the top of that Tube sticker in a internet search and got..

a Zenith G-A63ADG25X 04RC0105-009..

But is it on a Wells Gardner Chassis..?
As they come out of the Company..?

.EDIT:..

Here's one part on the Chassis/left lower side that I can get a picture of that says WG..

zzv.jpg

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
I think I got my answer..

I typed in the numbers on the top of that Tube sticker in a internet search and got..

a Zenith G-A63ADG25X 04RC0105-009..

But is it on a Wells Gardner Chassis..?
As the come out of the Company..?

The Wells Gardner chassis used a Zenith monitor. Whether all Neos are like that I do not know.

And yes, being zapped by a monitor is NOT a real good feeling...TRUST me on that :crying: