Match Vids

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
ray_7 said:
Wait for it to be hosted on gfb.combovideos.com.

I watched it and it's good.

Glad to see Raoh among the top tiers.

Here's the thing about that: of course it makes sense for Raoh to be top-tier given the approximate time period in the series that the game is supposed to take place (Raoh, Shin, Jagi, etc. are all alive and kicking). However, the only other character that can hang with him (and seems to be able to beat him consistently) is Toki, whom Raoh eventually defeated. Also, aside from Raoh, Toki seems to be able to totally dominate everyone, he's way too fast and can juggle you forever. Not barely scrape out a win, completely dominate. He is way, way too fast for someone who got nuked. The fact that his fatal KO is a full-screen projectile is ridiculous. It also doesn't help that Toki otherwise seems like a very boring character (chain combo, juggle, chain, juggle, chain, juggle, etc.).

Also, what's worse...Kenshiro seems to be one of the worst characters in the game, even though the entire series is built around Kenshiro being able to beat anybody. For instance, Rei seems to be much stronger, even though Kenshiro, as I'm sure you know, made him look like a weakling several times. Keep in mind I'm basing this solely on the hours of tournament and competitive videos I've seen since I haven't been able to play the damn game yet, but Kenshiro seems to be one of the weakest characters in the game (right down there with Jagi and Mamiya), since he's slow and doesn't have big long juggles. I don't know, there are some nice little references to the source material in the game, but there's also some really weird stuff that seems out of whack, like Kenshiro's fatal KO.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
EX_Andy said:
To be honest, 3rd Strike is such a mature game at this point that the imbalances really show through. Like how the game uses the SF3 "choose only one super art" system, yet the top 3 characters (Chun Li, Ken, and Yun) all have one "best" super that they always choose. You almost wish Capcom would put out a 4th version of SF3 where all the characters, and super arts, are balanced. You never see more than half the roster in serious play (though to be fair, that more than half the roster consists of a zany breakdancing Inspector Gadget, a blob shaped like an old man, a blob shaped like a blob, etc.), but at the highest levels of play, there are only a few "right" characters to play in only certain "right" ways.

Sure, the game has balance issues (to say the least). But even if Capcom gave enough of a shit to make a 4th version and attempt to "rebalance" the game, you just know that down the line people are going to find ways in which certain Supers are overpowered for certain characters, and then we're right back where we started from. We all know that it's practically impossible to make a completely balanced fighting game. It is of course a shame that Chun, Ken, Yun, and Urien all only have one Super worth using, but at the very least other characters near the top can be played almost equally well with either of two Supers, like Makoto, Dudley, and Necro. Ryu can be played with any of the three depending on what you're looking for (versatility + lots of EX's, big damage, or dizzy setups).

Honestly, I think the only character in the game who usually has almost no chance of winning is Sean. Even Twelve can have a fighting chance if you've ever seen Yamazaki use him, even if it does usually degenerate into turtling. Who else is low tier... Hugo? Hugo has some bad mismatches, but when used right he can be incredibly intimidating to play against. Q? You REALLY have to know what you're doing with Inspector Gadget, but it is indeed possible to win with some work (seen the SBO3 video where Kuroda tears apart Justin Wong and Ricky Ortiz using Q? freakin hilarious). Oro? He has plenty of mixups and "unblockable" Yagyou-Dama's, he's far from being worthless. Ibuki? Not many people bother to play her, but look at Aruka, he's definitely doing something right.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
BBH said:
Sure, the game has balance issues (to say the least). But even if Capcom gave enough of a shit to make a 4th version and attempt to "rebalance" the game, you just know that down the line people are going to find ways in which certain Supers are overpowered for certain characters, and then we're right back where we started from. We all know that it's practically impossible to make a completely balanced fighting game. It is of course a shame that Chun, Ken, Yun, and Urien all only have one Super worth using, but at the very least other characters near the top can be played almost equally well with either of two Supers, like Makoto, Dudley, and Necro. Ryu can be played with any of the three depending on what you're looking for (versatility + lots of EX's, big damage, or dizzy setups).

Honestly, I think the only character in the game who usually has almost no chance of winning is Sean. Even Twelve can have a fighting chance if you've ever seen Yamazaki use him, even if it does usually degenerate into turtling. Who else is low tier... Hugo? Hugo has some bad mismatches, but when used right he can be incredibly intimidating to play against. Q? You REALLY have to know what you're doing with Inspector Gadget, but it is indeed possible to win with some work (seen the SBO3 video where Kuroda tears apart Justin Wong and Ricky Ortiz using Q? freakin hilarious). Oro? He has plenty of mixups and "unblockable" Yagyou-Dama's, he's far from being worthless. Ibuki? Not many people bother to play her, but look at Aruka, he's definitely doing something right.

As I see it, and you can tell me I'm wrong, there's basically 3 tiers of 3rd Strike at this point: top tier (Chun, Ken, Yun), "can hang with top tier" tier (Urien, Dudley, Makoto), and "everyone else" tier. Yes, guys like Alex and Necro can be competitive, but require relatively more effort and skill, which shouldn't be news to anyone here.

I don't need any Inspector Gadget or wacky, loveable blobs in my fighting games. I'd just be happy with a new version of the game where the top tiers were just slightly bigger, so there were maybe 5-6 top tier guys and 5-6 "can hang with top tier" guys. But of course, I'm beating a dead, buried horse since this game is older than most second graders.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
every game has "easier to use - overpowered " characters in it

it's been like that ever since garou den 2

so ?

if you want to use them,you can

if you want to be different and choose a low tier,you can

if you only want to use characters you like
and don't care about how high or low they are on those lists,wow,you can

yun is too good in 3.3 because of that super art and the uber short meter bar ?

yes

but so were gouki and ibuki and sean in second impact

i played with chikyuu,hayao and pino ab7

they were owning people like you wouldn't believe

their opponents were using legions of yun,ken,chun etc

it's all about your ability and your personal preference

so stop whining,please ;)

ah,by the way...necro > your god

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
yeah, what Fran said.

yes, Yun has the best super in the game and a turtle Chun can be hell to play against solely because of crouching Forward into Super

but it's not as if an average player who decides to use Yun or Chun is instantly going to dominate everyone. People using low-tier characters can still win, and WILL win if they can read their opponent. It's not as if it's instantly a gross, unwinnable mismatch. Anybody that decides to be too predictable with their play will lose to a better player, period.

if you have issues with the game because of certain character designs, then yeah... can't please everyone. whatever.

I <3 Hayao

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Thanks for the great links ppl.

The XI vids on gfb site were great, really fun to watch. Saving shift is such a great idea.

What really caught my interest though is Rumble Fish. The gfb site only had one vid, anyone know where I can get more?

ray_7

Evolution 2k5 SF3.3 torrent is up at gfb!!!

SRK is releasing it for free!!

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Devil_Gans said:
Guys, you should check out the Henvoke vids. They are better than the game41 ones. A lot more aggressive style of play and their Iori is solid. They update their vids regularly as well.

Check out the link below. Scroll down to the KOF XI pic and dl away.

http://page.freett.com/henvoke/index.html

Yeah man, henvoke is updating almost everyday now.

I am really starting to like the Clark/Ryo/Kula and the Terry/Ryo/Kyo (AllStarTeam) players

Overall, the aggressive playing style of most of these Japanese players is something I am trying to achieve myself.

Edit: oh shit!!! now its these 2 guys facing each other!! :drool: :multi_co:

Last edited:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
i agree with most of what bbh and fran said. but when it comes to 2 highly skilled players and one of them is using sean, 9 outta 10 times he will loose. while chunli can be beaten by urien or anybody else, i dont think the tiers are too strong, sure their top tiers. its about the low tiers, particularly sean, he cant win against anybody. besides gouki isnt ranked top tier, but in the right hands, even while taking damage like a bitch and getting stunned that fast hell tear a new asshole into most characters (as long as you aint nailed by combos or supers). only chara i really hate is chun, how could they make her so turtlestic.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
yea, i go down to tj for X reason and I find a kof machine literally every other little store. Anyways, mexicans play this game way too much lol

:chimp:

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Ah nevermind... I saw the thread.

Last edited: