Which KOF's can you cancel/super cancel in? And how exactly do you do it?

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Okay, this sounds dumb probably, but I watch the combo vids and see this done, and I don't know if there's a trick to it or what? I can't seem to cancel/super cancel! Is a cancel the same as a super cancel...I think so, but I'm not sure. I want to do this and I think it will really improve my overall game.

Which KOF games can you cancel/super cancel in? Is there a certain year it starts and it continues from then on, or are there some years that it's skipped?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
KOF 2001 and onward.

you can cancel in 99 & 2000 too, but you need to press ABC first, which takes 3 power stocks (forgot the mode's name .... offensive mode perhaps?)

as for the later KOFs, you can do them anytime as long as you have 2 powerstocks or more.

try Benimaru's qcb A (B in 2003) to qcf x2 A

very easy to pull and causes a lot of damage (just do the DM while he's spinning)

out of these, KOF 2001 has the biggest amount of "useful" cancels.

let us know which KOF you're playing, so we can give you some more combos.

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Fuckin' A, I have '01 I will try the Benimaru cancel you mentioned. Any other good ones that you know of? Thanks!

IIRC it's counter mode in '99, and if you press BCD you activate armor mode.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
yes, counter mode that is.

just one more note about 2001. with some Characters, you can cancel super moves with another super move, but there aren't much of this kind of cancels. the one I can think of right now is Iori's [qcb + C]. you can cancel it with any of his other moves. (doesn't require anything)

for example, if the first 2 hits of the 3 [qcb+C]'s were blocked, cancel the second hit with a projectile [qcf+C] to push the opponent away and being safe from being countered.

May lee too has a lot of these cancels.

also, 2001 has the biggest number of chain combos, now you can connect Benimaru's [close C] with a [forward B] and then follow that up with a super move (same goes with Iori).

here are 2 nice combos:

Iori:

overhead jump + B ..... close C ..... forward B ...... qcb C .....
dragon punch C ....[cancel]... qcf hcb C ...... qcf x4 A+C

Benimaru:

jump D ..... close C ..... forward B ...... qcb A ...[cancel].. qcf x2 A (or A+C for SDM)

(bolded part for DMs)

I'll post more later. as for now, have fun pulling some combos of your own :). I'm pretty sure you will like 2001, if you figure out what does it offer (gameplay/combo wise)

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Okay, I'm going to try this stuff out, just curious though. Been wondering this for about a week now, I've read that Iori need's 2 power stocks to do his sdm. However, does this mean that he actually needs a total of three to perfrom this sdm? Because, you do the first part (the DM) and then at the end when you grab the opponent you do the rest, soooo I'm wondering if you actually need 3 or just 2? I could probably figure this out on my own if I f'd around enough in practice mode, but I don't feel like waisting time doing that. Also, know any combos/super cancel's for Kula, Whip, or Daimon. Thanks!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
SnairDogg said:
Okay, I'm going to try this stuff out, just curious though. Been wondering this for about a week now, I've read that Iori need's 2 power stocks to do his sdm. However, does this mean that he actually needs a total of three to perfrom this sdm? Because, you do the first part (the DM) and then at the end when you grab the opponent you do the rest, soooo I'm wondering if you actually need 3 or just 2? I could probably figure this out on my own if I f'd around enough in practice mode, but I don't feel like waisting time doing that. Also, know any combos/super cancel's for Kula, Whip, or Daimon. Thanks!

no, you'll only need a total of 2 power stocks only for Iori's SDM: one for the [qcf hcb] part, and the other one for the [qcf x4] part.

hmmm. I don't use these chaeacters, but I'll try to learn some of their combos and post them here, as I've seen some nice combos for them before (especially kula).

Last edited:

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Hmm, super cancels for Kula...

-QCF+C --> run in --> close s.C --> f+A --> QCB+B, f+D (SC point) --> QCF, QCF+AC

-f+B after QCB+B/D can be super cancelled as well (try HCB, HCB+AC)

-f, d, df+C can also be super cancelled during the first hit (it's not as easy to time, though)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
if you still need help with gameplay, or how to pull combos ... etc., just let us know.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I'm not that good with grapplers, but here are some tips that I already know:

Goro:

- a [close C] to the [hcb forward C] grab takes a lot of damage.

- you can grab the enemy while he's on the floor (knocked down) with the [hcf C] grab.

- Goro's jumping C+D has a wire effect (where the opponent bounces to wall). you can do the hcf A grap afterward, while the enemy is still in air.

note: the Jumping C+D won't cause the wire efferct unless it's a counter hit (hitting the enemy while he's in the middle of a normal attack).

- if the jumping C+D didn't cause a wire effect, you can run and grab the enemy with the [hcf C] grab while he's on the floor.

- the [hcf A] is a very dangerous anti-air grab.

- the normal "D" kick and the [down-forward C] are also good anti-air attacks.

- use Goro's far "C" attack along with some weak attacks (standing or crouching "A" and "B" attacks) to stress on the enemy and to confuse him. also, the Jumping C+D attack and the [dragon punch A] super move work well for this purpose.

- Goro is very noisy when he runs.

- I hear that Goro is one of the most over-powered characters in KOF. ask people here for advice, as they know a lot more about him than I do.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Maxima:

- combos:

close C ...... forward A ...... hcb A

close C ...... forward A ...... hcb x2 D

crouching A ..... qcf A x3

crouching A ...... qcf A x2 ...[cancel]... hcb x2 D

crouching A ..... qcf A x2 ..... [call striker Angel] ..... close C ..... forward A ..... hcb x2 D

- [down-forward C] and [dragon punch B] are anti-air attacks.

- [hcb A] has a counter wire effect (just like Goro's jumping CD) follow that up with another [hcb A] (distructive)

- make use of his [hcb D] grab. the enemy can't roll past it. for example, you can throw some [hcb A] vapor cannons and when the enemy tries to roll past that, grab hin with the [hcb D]. also, you can have an additional attack after this grab by holding forward and pressing B.

- Maxima is very hard to use, since he's very slow. but on the other hand, few clean hits can easily finish off his opponent. His combos are very distructive.

Last edited:

MaidenMasher

Overtop Pathfinder
that maxima combo rules man!!
Do you know another striker combos?? I have never used the strikers until now!!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
MaidenMasher said:
that maxima combo rules man!!
Do you know another striker combos?? I have never used the strikers until now!!

I don't know any other easy striker combo. all the other combos I know are "near corner" only or useless ones (except for Maylee, but her combos are very long and complicated).

but in case you're interested:

Iori ------- [striker = Xiangfei] near corner:

qcb C ..... qcb C .... [call striker] .... qcb C ..... (continue)

notes:

- you can add [close C .... forward B] before that.
- you must be VERY QUICK when you call the striker.
- Xiangfei will hit the opponent after Iori's third [qcb C], giving you a chance to add more attacks/combos.
- you can repeat the combo again and again if you have more power stocks.

Lin ------ [striker = Angel] near corner:

qcf C ..... qcf B+C * ..... (continue)

notes:

* this is a techneque that will perform the qcf C and call the striker at the same time (also used with May Lee).
- while choosing the characters' order, you must place Angel as the first striker.
- you can add a [crouching B .... crouching B] or [close C] at the beginning.
- best way to finish the combo is [close C ..... qcb hcf C]

if you can pull these, you can start using May Lee. she's the most powerful character in 2001 and totally over powered. all you need to learn with her is 2 combos (one is big, and the other is very easy).

also, with Lin, you can use Xiangfei (striker), to follow up that combo. use the same techneque, but with the third attack:

qcf C ..... qcf C ...... qcf B+C

the opponent will fall, and xiangfei will hit him, giving you a chance to add another combo.

so the big complete combo will be like this:

Lin ----- [1st striker = Angel / 2nd striker = Xiangfei]: (3 power stocks) near corner:

close C ...... qcf C ..... qcf B+C ..... [character is hit by Angel] ....

close C ...... qcf C ..... qcf C ..... qcf B+C [the character is hit by Xiangfei] ....

close C ..... forward A ..... qcb hcf C

Yasakani

n00b
99 through 2k3...but in 2k3 the super cancels are fairly routine, no special conditions or animations