NO FATALITIES in Samurai Showdown 5 Special

Kickin' Wing

Armored Scrum Object
This will be my last post on the subject, but I went back and played it again...

On MY Neo-Geo (japanese debug mode)... when I do the near death move:

The Screen Turns Purple, my character runs and slashes through the opponent and stops on the other side. The other player gets a delayed splattering of blood that comes out of his chest (lots of it), then falls over. It's a lot like cutting the throat in SS1.

Is that not a Fatality?

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Kickin|wiNg said:
This will be my last post on the subject, but I went back and played it again...

On MY Neo-Geo (japanese debug mode)... when I do the near death move:

The Screen Turns Purple, my character runs and slashes through the opponent and stops on the other side. The other player gets a delayed splattering of blood that comes out of his chest (lots of it), then falls over. It's a lot like cutting the throat in SS1.

Is that not a Fatality?

That was in regular SS5.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
The following was in gamefaqs.com. It's for SSV (not SSVS), a code to "enable blood". (I know, a long shot, but I guess everything needs to be tried, right?)

Go to options, move to "exit", and press A, B, C and D at the same time. Then play normally.

Any change?

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
Kickin|wiNg said:
No offence to anyone here (this is not intended as a flame)...

But how many of you angry Neo-Geo'erz actually own the game? Or if you do own it, do you know how to perform the fatality?

I got my copy of SSV:S Saturday around 11am and did notice like most of you that the traditional SS Fatalities were not working (like in SS1 or 2 where they just kinda did it when u hit w/ the final blow). So I hit up GameFAQs and read the SSV:S guide on the game:

-Wait till your opponents life meter is BLUE (this will if your opponent has been defeated once and the bar has gone below the marker)
-Become Raged (a+b+c < rage explosion... dont use it earlier if you plan on doing this or your bar will disappear)
-Perform the Near Death Move (quarter circle back + cd)

it is... NOT impressive.. it DOES work -- also I have never seen the computer use this move and it is nearly impossible to perform under normal gameplay because the computer will kick your ass if you try and coddle it to pull this off.

If you watch the video I posted you will notice that the Near Death Move was drastically edited.

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
finngamer said:
The following was in gamefaqs.com. It's for SSV (not SSVS), a code to "enable blood". (I know, a long shot, but I guess everything needs to be tried, right?)

Go to options, move to "exit", and press A, B, C and D at the same time. Then play normally.

Any change?

Nope. nothing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Verbatum said:
If I have time today, I'll scan the article from the issue and post it.
On a semi-related note (okay, not really related), did you get a chance to play the game in US mode yet, to see if the true ending, special ending, etc., were in there? Thanks.

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
SouthtownKid said:
On a semi-related note (okay, not really related), did you get a chance to play the game in US mode yet, to see if the true ending, special ending, etc., were in there? Thanks.

Yes. I've only been able to get to fight Amakusa where there is no ending. I have yet to figure out how to get the special endings. I'm assuming you have to do it under a certain time limit like in SS4.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Ralf501 said:
Yes. I've only been able to get to fight Amakusa where there is no ending. I have yet to figure out how to get the special endings. I'm assuming you have to do it under a certain time limit like in SS4.

If you guys want to know how, I'll tell you, or you can experiment on your own.

Also, I'm gonna go through every DIP setting today to see if the lost stuff is in there. I'll let you know what I find.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
SouthtownKid said:

Not yet, but I'll do that for you today! They are in the japanese setting, so let's hope they are in US mode too.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I just translated via babelfish a prior linked thread. Among other hilarious comments was the following :

> It supported telephoned of the potato and.
> Because > large number there was a claim at 「 game center concerning cruelty > expression, it is cruel level 1 fixing.
> How doing, it was the 」 which it cannot modify.

Sounds like there were complaints about violence at an arcade (game center) and they made the home version default to level 1 cruelty.
I dont have a debug modded system at the moment.
Would someone who has a debug mod do us all a favor and get the game in MVS mode, and mess with the stupid cruelty settings in the debug bios?

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Here is an overview of what was done. The situation is more grim than rumored, but there is hope as well.

First of all, the fatalities are gone upon booting in any home console mode. None of the debug dips will enable them.

Second of all, there is a lockout that prevents you from booting in MVS mode. You will go to the red copyright screen, and the game will lock up. Anyone who thinks this is a hack job had better revise their opinion now... this was deliberate and it was done with the Debug BIOS in mind.

Can you play your cart in MVS mode? Sure. Just boot in home mode, start the game, and change to MVS mode on the fly. Think you beat the lockout? Nope. The lockout is not to prevent you from playing in MVS mode... the lockout is to prevent you from using the MVS Soft Dips to enable the level 3 / with violence setting. Basically, the lockout kicks in whenever the cart tries to read the MVS Soft Dips, not whenever the cart is played in MVS mode. You can go to the attract screen in Home mode, switch to MVS, insert a coin, and you are locked out again.

Here is what I conclude:
1. The MVS Soft Dips must be what the lockout is for, because you can use MVS mode fine.
2. The fatalities and full MVS version must be present on the cart, otherwise you wouldn't need the Soft Dips locked out.
3. SNKP either: a. put a violence code that must be used to enable the fatalities, or b. made completely sure that it was impossible to see the fatalities on the home system

It may be that only another BIOS can beat this, by allowing the user to access the Violence setting without triggering the Soft Dip lockout. However, if the Debug BIOS has any way to access this setting on the fly, that would work as well. The lockout is frustrating, but it is also the 1 ray of hope for everyone... it simply wouldn't be there if SNKP had gotten rid of the fatalities.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Geddon_jt said:
I just translated via babelfish a prior linked thread. Among other hilarious comments was the following :

> Because > large number there was a claim at 「 game center concerning cruelty > expression, it is cruel level 1 fixing.
> How doing, it was the 」 which it cannot modify.

Sounds like there were complaints about violence at an arcade (game center) and they made the home version default to level 1 cruelty.
I dont have a debug modded system at the moment.
Would someone who has a debug mod do us all a favor and get the game in MVS mode, and mess with the stupid cruelty settings in the debug bios?

Will do!

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
neojedi said:
this was deliberate and it was done with the Debug BIOS in mind.

It may be that only another BIOS can beat this

Educate a noob. Is the Debug BIOS different from, say, Universe BIOS?

I don't think the situation is grim at all. It's all there. Now it's just a matter of time.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
finngamer said:
Educate a noob. Is the Debug BIOS different from, say, Universe BIOS?

I don't think the situation is grim at all. It's all there. Now it's just a matter of time.

Yes, they are two different bios. The debug bios was the home system only bios that you can pickup at the neo-store. Whereas the Unibios was programmed by Razoola for MVS. On his most recent revision he made it usable by the home system.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I really hope that someone can figure all of this out. And soon. :oh_no:

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
On an other thread someone said that the Debug BIOS can do a tenth of the stuff the Uni BIOS can do. Thegreathopper from London is trying his Uni BIOS out at this very moment. Could take some time though, he'll go through everything.

Both thumbs up, everybody.

Last edited:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
puyo2_dash said:
>芋やのサポート電話しました。
Geddon_jt said:

Halox said:
Perhaps one of our Japanese resident members could assist with this one, but it appears that this portion is indicating that the poster telephoned the Imoya support hotline. 芋や is Imoya, with the "imo" kanji meaning "potato" -- I'm assuming that this is the name of a business, with the "ya" katakana used instead of the usual "ya" kanji meaning "shop" or "store."

--Chris

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Quick clarification, just in case. When I said that none of the Debug dips enabled fatalities, I meant none of the Debug dips used alone. I did not try combinations of 2 or more yet.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
neojedi said:
Quick clarification, just in case. When I said that none of the Debug dips enabled fatalities, I meant none of the Debug dips used alone. I did not try combinations of 2 or more yet.

Well what are you doing here posting then? Get to it! :D

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Tried everything I could folks: Violence settings, dips, MVS modes, combinations of dips, you name it and no lost kills or fatalities.

If you guys want, I'll list what dips do what, if it means anything to ya.

Anyway, it still seems that no one cares about the the gameplay of this title, and that really is shame. Much less, if the game is even good or not.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Uh hello, we already know that it's decent...

How many times can people say "I like the gameplay?"

That's boring.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Syxx573 said:
Uh hello, we already know that it's decent...

How many times can people say "I like the gameplay?"

That's boring.

How many times can people say "OMFG WHERE R THE FATALITIES!!! AHHH!!!1"

That's boring.