!!the BIG RB2 thread!! (updated 23/7/04 : chonrei)

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
!!the BIG RB2 thread!! (updated 10/9/04 : andy)

im gonna post as much as possible about my favourite fighter in this here thread.

NOTE : THIS THREAD, OR MY BRIEF STRATS ANYWAYS ARE NOT GOING TO INCLUDE, "COOL" OR "BIG" OR "IMPRESSIVE" COMBOS, NOR DO THEY INCLUDE EVERY STRATEGY. THE STRATS ARE HOW I USE THE CHARACTERS IN COMPETITIVE PLAY NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS :)

+++++++links+++++++++

1. arcade extreme combo vids here (thanks baratoz)

2. competitive play general faq by me

++++++brief strats++++++

RICK STROWD

best range : he's mix up so he's best between close -> mid.

[normals]
s.A : great range though not as much as it would seem by looking at the sprite. very fast though rick isn't really a poker. can be used to combo into his qcf+A (s.Ax2->qcf+A). his dash is a bit slow to use this effectively as a dashing poke from mid/close besides which you need to do if from neutral when dashing otherwise you will get the overhead which will leave you very open. becuase of the high thin hit box you are prolly better off sticking with the c.A.
s.B : pathetic range and becoz it's almost a medium punch rather than a light kick the recovery speed is bad. good in combos though, use x2->qcf+A for a bnb combo otherwise no need to use it.
s.C : not a really good poke, the time it takes the move to complete is long though recovery is ok. can be used as a poke tack on after a blocked qcf+A ect though be careful not to rely on that tactic as faster opponents will learn to punish you. better off using the dp to out prioritize after being blocked.
c.A : abuse it, super fast, can be comboed into after one or two (into the qcf+A) and has great range for a light. psuedo combo it into the c.C and then the qcf+A for a good mixup game, if they block the whole thing use the dp to out prioritize, if the C hits the qcf+A will put you behind them as they get up confusing them. use this move as a scrambling defence.
c.B : can be comboed into but apart from higher damage is not as good as the c.A in any aspect.
c.C : slow to come out and recover from. best used after a c.A or two so the block stun from the A will give you a chance to use this safely. otherwise better off sticking to A's. only has slightly longer range than a c.A despite being a heavy. use carefully.
j.A : great priority, effectiveness duration is long too seeing as its two hits. angle and hit box is very straight and narrow so best used on the way up on an opponent higher in the air or one jumping straight up as you hop/mid jump. avoid using on grounded opponents as even deep its hard to hit.
j.B : good on hops, great for rushing down. wont combo though. use on crouching opponents or to cross up (though very hard and wont combo). decent priority on the way up (better than j.C priority wise).
j.C : use for combos on standing opponents on mid or long jumps, best used on hops too if you are going for a combo... j.B is good (has a better angle and is easier to use but wont combo).
f+A : a good overhead best abused as the opponent is waking up (provided they dont have a good wakeup aa or the like). mix it up so the opponent doesnt get too good at blocking the overhead (if you use it everytime youll get predictably as well as helping the opponent develop their overhead blocking skills). quite slow to come out though this can be a benefit if you get the timing down on an opponent waking up as its tricky to read. hits twice which also makes it harder to block properly. try mixing this up with the qcb+A as well to keep them on their toes.

[specials]
qcf+A/C : this and the dp are what youll be using. this is used like andys dash attack to keep the pressure down (ricks a rushdown/mixup character). youll need to learn the range that it turns into a plain dash and spam with c.A or fake out with walk in throws when it doesnt hit and leaves you right in front of them. the C version doesnt combo and is best used only from near full screen to catch opponents off guard like you would dudleys heavy dashing punch combo move (qcf+HP iirc). so basically only as a mixup option (the C version). the A version is great to combo into, especially after 2 or 3 c.A's or a c.B. it unreliably cancels into one c.A. better off spamming three though as its an easier combo and does more damage.
dp+A : mix it up on the end of a blocked qcf+A/C or even a blocked hcb+C. better off not to combo into it as the 2nd hit knockdown is iffy and you could be left prone or at the least on the back foot. its a really good wakeup or aa. use two in a row ken style coz its fast. juggle with it if you get the launcher on the qcf+C. good recovery so work it into your game as much as possible.
qcb+A : super slow, even comboed off a c.C or the like you are going to get hit out of it. best off to use it only on a waking up opponent after you master the difficult timing. dont use it on those with a good wakeup aa (chonshu and xiangfei etc) coz it telegraphs and youll get hit. good strategy with this on a waking up opponent is to c.C then combo this into it, thing is you have to really delay the cancel on the qcb+A, if you cancel it in quickly they will wake up and smack you before it comes out.. delay the cancel and it's very hard to avoid seeing as the C is crouching and this is an overhead.
hcb+C : great from near full screen or on a waking up opponent from long range. will often catch an opponent trying to jump or in the air at the right height. only use at long or near full screen as when blocked you are very prone. very fast.
qcb+B : the dodge is great, you dont really come out of it quick enough to make it that useful though, if they spam youll prolly come off even. might be good for head games but to be honest i dont use it much.

[supers]
spower : too slow to come out for its own good, leaves you prone as it has very little effectiveness against airbourne opponents unless they land right in it. best off not using it unless safely on an opponent at long/full screen or on an opponent waking up at mid range.
ppower : use it as soon as it becomes available. should be safe even if they airblock and land near you. pushes back a lot, has overhead properties and takes long enough to be relatively safe against plane shifting opponents. good when comboed off a c.C to trick the opponent into low blocking the whole thing.

[bnb combos]
- j.C->s.B->qcf+A
-j.C->c.Ax2/3->qcf+A (x3 prolly only reliable in the corner)
-j.C->c.B->qcf+A
-j.C->c.C->hcb+C (pushing or mixup combo only, doesnt connect with the last move if the c.C hits).
->j.C->c.C->qcb+A (only use on turtles and only to mixup, telegraphs and fairly easy to punish after the qcb+A is cancelled).
-j.C->c.A->c.B->c.C
-j.C->s.Cx2->qcf+A

[strats]
rick is mixup rush. he's got some long range options like his hcb+C and the dash on his qcf+A but he's best off used in close (take advantage of the speed and range on his c.A) or moving into close from mid or mid close. mid offers options like whiffing the qcf+A then c.A/walk in throw/dp+A/overhead(f+A) or even jumping straight up to stop jumpers. close lets him keep the pressure on, give you the chance to knock down and then play ricks best game. learn the c.C->delayed cancel into qcb+A, with good timing it may be near unavoidable except by plane shifting recovery. his best mix up games are constructed around whiffing the qcf+A, is qcb+A, his hcb+C and his overhead. speed and variety to win!

Last edited:

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
Hmm...I have heard so much good about this game yet I cant seem to really get the feel of it. My local arcade has it yet when ever I go to play it (which is not often because I am a KOF, 3rd Strike kind of guy) I give up after 5 minutes.

Wheras with KOF or 3rd Strike I play them competitevely in competitions etc...and am by no means a scrub. Hence, I should be able to play this game but I can not.

What advice for a fellow "Aussie" do you have Beezle? I just cant get the feel of that moving up and down the screen etc...I want to. Maybe I should just get it on AES and see how I go.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Kusanagi-sama' said:
Hmm...I have heard so much good about this game yet I cant seem to really get the feel of it. My local arcade has it yet when ever I go to play it (which is not often because I am a KOF, 3rd Strike kind of guy) I give up after 5 minutes.

Wheras with KOF or 3rd Strike I play them competitevely in competitions etc...and am by no means a scrub. Hence, I should be able to play this game but I can not.

What advice for a fellow "Aussie" do you have Beezle? I just cant get the feel of that moving up and down the screen etc...I want to. Maybe I should just get it on AES and see how I go.

picking up a new game always takes time.. specially when its a completely foreign system for you.. could that be the reason? some games i cant even get a feel for no matter how much time i put into them (see vf4 and ggxx). mind you its not much of a stretch from rb2 to either kof or 3rd strike compared to those two i mentioned. so put in some time, especially if you can get challenges coz ill tell you its worth it as a competitive game. far less frustrating than kof for example (doesnt favour turtling so much either).

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
@beelze, I want to get RB2, but I also want to know if you've played RBS and what you think of it. I want to play competitively in Japan in a few years...if you're still there I'll even take you on. :D

I'm thinking about just getting both, I have been digging up old threads that say RBS has some cool line sway combos that you can't perform in RB2...I think I know what you're going to tell me already though, something like RB2 is just more balanced and RBS's Kim is unstoppable...something like that, right?

Would it be possible for anyone to host that RB2 vid? For some reason arcade-extreme.com's site never sends me the password, wtf?! Or is it possible to email a large file like this?

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
"favourite fighter", woah...

Okay, well, I'm all ears, perhaps I'll learn a thing or two about the game.

In a way, RB2 is on the same level as MotW for me, they're both nice and look good but I get bored of them in less than an hour. Must have more 2p comp... on the other hand, I LOVE RBFF and, to a lesser extend, RBS, and I'm decent in both, but not RB2.

I mainly use Terry, Joe, Andy, Yama and Duck, and sometimes Rick when I feel like it. Thanks for the Rick combos/strats, he's cool but I really need some more practise.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
ok next update, post a 3 hours session with my mate on rb2 :) i worked krauzer at a basic level into my game (gotta love dash throw tactics) and sokaku as well (who i thought was raped too badly from rbs, boy was i wrong, best new tool in his arsenal = crossup with a low jump b (this crosses up!! never knew) and command throw from behind) who i got a huge streak with, was very happy that he isnt that bad.

@snair, pfft sway combos.. yeah they are sorta fun to do but everyone is the same (a couple of hits->line force->pull em back->hit with special move/super) there is not juggle there no variety from character to character and therefore gets old quickly in my book (not too mention the damage on some like kims is too much). add to that terrible balance (kim, sokaku and yamazaki especially bad) and no xiang or rick. aesthetically it might be better, im not the one to ask but as a competitive game it doesnt come close imo (technically i can tell you it is no match for rb2).

@takumaji
yeah i like rbff myself. i hear you on the motw call. i really like the game a lot but its a bit vanilla, the small roster doesnt help. rb2 on the other hand is very diverse in terms of strats for characters (the different styles the characters cover from rush grapplers to pokers from hit and run to rush down). on top of that the combos arent vanilla like motw, you dont spend your time trying to j.C->s.C->special... try perfecting honfus three time butt taunt counter (work it in after jump ins, mid combo, after a poke, etc) or getting knock down combos off yama's stomp attack (d+Cx3). the variety makes it more interesting/gives it great longevity imo.

++++++updated tier list++++++++

top: geese + kim.
high: rick, xiang fei, krauzer, chon rei, terry, mai, andy.
mid: franco, sokaku, joe, lawrence, duck, terry, yama, billy, hon, bob, chon shu, cheng.
low: lawrence, tung, mary.

++++++brief strats++++++

BILLY KANE

best range : midclose.

[normals]
s.A : good at close or just out of close range, not quite as fast to come out, recover from nor as good range wise as the c.A though. c.B is prolly all round better as well (though both can be comboed from). use this from mid close rather than close to tap characters that close on you or are trying to jump. if you get a hit or a block from it then try using c.A as youll be able to push the opponent and keep them grounded for longer. never try to push too far with billy though as his full screen game isnt his strong point.
s.B : what is the point of this move. yeah it moves forward but priority, speed and the fact it telegraphs so much makes it a far cry from ducks s.B or the like. avoid its use unless you can work out some c.A poke x ? until you push far enough to get back in well with this (though id take a hopj.A or straight up j.A or even c.A over this).
s.C : as above, the long range version is a move that takes you forward a great deal but there are better ways to close (even flat dashing is one). this is good at close though and very easy to combo into (the close version). combo into qcb+B, his ppower or his f-df-d+C. thing is you can combo most of those from the c.B. only use this when you get a nice opening in close or if you connect with j.C (not so easy to do considering its lame range and hitbox combined with billys floaty jump).
c.A : abuse this, learn the range and then poke with it lots, great recovery and range, also good priority to stuff things. very little damage though.
c.B : decent poke though c.A is better. this is best used at close (right beside) range and comboed into the qcb+B whether they block or not, try for lots of tick damage with billy, he needs it (try this comboed into the qcb+B on waking up opponents who dont have an aa as a way to maximize block damage and keep the pressure on, poke with c.A after the qcb+B).
c.C : good at midclose, decent speed and recovery plus the animation (or the start anyways) is nearly identical to c.B making it good to catch ppl unawares (thing a c.HK with guile only better).
j.A : great and has crazy priority, good range and hit box plus stays out a decent time. abuse this and follow up with a s.A then one or two c.A's. lots of poking needs to be done with this. the straight up j version of this is awesome for long range pokes and stopping ppl jumping at you. be careful though coz the hitbox is not as big as the animation itself.
j.B : near useless. might have good priority but the timing required is too strict to warrant its use.
j.C : yeah you can combo into it unlike A or B but the hit box and timing though better perhaps than B stops billy (along with his floaty jump) from being a character who will jump a fireball then deal big combo damage off a j.C->s.C->move. use only when the time is very right though to be honest if you are jumping a lot with billy you prolly wont win many.

[specials]
mash A : decent anti air though it's unreliable becoz mastering the start up time (the rhythym of the button presses) is a bitch. i dont really use it. if you are close and want to push them away its ok but recovery isnt really good on it so you wont be able to catch them as they try to jump with an spower or a poke. better off doing that with a c.A. maybe you can work it into a combo but again average recovery makes its use risky (so does the fact it doesnt knock down..).
b-f+A : great at far to catch jumpers or pressure and mid far to get the occasional hits, good damage and easy to surprise with coupled with decent recovery. be careful though coz billy needs to keep at mid close and do lots of in out with hops combined with little poke routines here and there. trying to zone with this can get you jumped on and rushed down. combining this with qcb+A could be a nice keep away game if you can second guess your opponent.
qcb+A : great anti air at mid to mid far range. isnt gonna work as a dragon punch though coz in close or wake up its not so good (slow enaction). make them jump from past half way then use this, be sparing with it though.
qcb+B : use this often, as chip damage on blockers and waking up opponents, use it from mid close to catch them off guard, keep them blocking and as a set up for a poke game. c.B->qcb+B should be a bnb combo. great recovery though once again damage is average (the reason billy finds himself in my lower tiering).
db-qcf+B : a good way to get in from afar, nice chip damage and also hard to read or aa. landing too close will get you thrown though. great recovery though so poke after it or go the c.B->qcb+B after. use it regularly at different ranges to keep them on their toes. test it against aa characters (watch out for chonshu). try using spower after recovering from this to outprioritize.

[supers]
spower :
ppower :

[bnb combos]
-

[strats]

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I've heard enough to finally make my decision...I also read Sifl's review in the 'reviews' section (obviously) and he says, "On a positive note, there is the option to remove the background plane and a continue service like those in the later KOF games and MotW." -the latter I don't care about, but the former really makes me happy. Anyone got this in MVS cart format? And also want to sell it to me?

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
beelzebubble said:
@takumaji
yeah i like rbff myself. i hear you on the motw call. i really like the game a lot but its a bit vanilla, the small roster doesnt help. rb2 on the other hand is very diverse in terms of strats for characters (the different styles the characters cover from rush grapplers to pokers from hit and run to rush down). on top of that the combos arent vanilla like motw, you dont spend your time trying to j.C->s.C->special... try perfecting honfus three time butt taunt counter (work it in after jump ins, mid combo, after a poke, etc) or getting knock down combos off yama's stomp attack (d+Cx3). the variety makes it more interesting/gives it great longevity imo.
@beelze, I thought you liked motw? It has a lot of depth to it, maybe the roster isn't so huge, but the just defend system isn't something you learn overnight, however, I've never played it competitively like I'm sure a few people on this site have, but I myself haven't been able to. I really am expecting to be blown away by RB2...any advice on who I should master first? I don't wanna start with the normal tiers so I think I'll work my way up from the bottom of the food chain...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Funny, I don't like to turn off plane switching because it's that what sets the series apart from KoF and the other one-plane fighters.

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
I've played MOTW alot and love it, but the many chain combinations possible in the Real Bout games (as well as the possibility of exploiting the plane switching system) make the RBs 'deeper' in my opinion.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
Funny, I don't like to turn off plane switching because it's that what sets the series apart from KoF and the other one-plane fighters.
Same here. Lack of a second plane is one of the things that disappointed me with MotW. MotW doesn't feel like Fatal Fury...although that probably has something to do with the game's popularity. And I've also been going through a RBFF phase again. There's something so satisfying about that game...if only it had the rest of RB2's roster... (and Jubei)

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
RBFF > RBFF2 > RBFFS

gameplay-wise,i mean

and IMO

but they're all good at the end of the day

after 2 / 3 years of playmore / noise factory / evoga games

you go back to games you always thought were disappointing

like samu 4 or real bout 2

and cant help but thinking

WOW

so i like mai and all

please Beelze,i never used mai in rbffs and 2 so i doubt the stuff she had in 1 still works in 2...

teach me something,the basics of mai in rbff2

thanks

:)

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
@snair. try joe, hes got a fireball, dragon punch and some decent pokes (his standing C or his slide kick (df+B iirc)) or maybe tung who is relatively hard to master but has a fairly small arsenal to incorporate (air game, short jumps, C and B) c.C mixed up into s.C or comboed into qcb+A, etc

@fran. mai is really good in this, my mate pretty much uses her exclusively and i find her hard to beat. i dont actually use her myself but the following are what seems to be her best tools:

1. dashing C. after fans, from mid range, to keep the opponent grounded, on the back foot and taking small chunks of damage here and there.
2. her fan, its crazy, the speed is perfect, hard to read and shes got amazing recovery off it to create strats off. jump after it, get the opponent to jump or do what my mate does and do her shoulder move after it (timing) gets great block damage, keeps them stuck on the ground and shes pretty much unhitable after it.
3. her ppower. god! one of the best in the game. it hits as a dragon on wakeup or jumping opponents, hits those who try to cross you up as you wake up (grrr) actually i cant jump far enough over you to NOT get hit by it :( does good damage and is easily used twitch as it moves forward super fast and hits even the smallest openings (thing something like alpha 2 chuns kick rush)
4. use her fire twirl for chip/control combos, her fan slice as an anti air. plane shift a lot and combo off the plane attack into her fan or something.. shes really hard to control because shes so maneuverable. she can frustrate slower characters and be a relentless attacker.

hope that helps :)

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
@Beelze - Are any of the Real Bout games still played in the arcades where you're at in Japan? Or do you play at home mainly?

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
thanks scott

will focus on rb2 for sure once i'll get my damn stick to work through an usb port :)

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
SnairDogg said:
@Beelze - Are any of the Real Bout games still played in the arcades where you're at in Japan? Or do you play at home mainly?

in monte carlo theyve got a machine which is a "sabisu" machine (read service lol) so sometimes ppl get rb2 put on in which case the experts come out of the woodwork :) otherwise i play at home with my m8. hes getting really good so i have no lack of good challenges :) playing in the game centre would be heaven of course but you are lucky to see any of the rb's or even motw for that matter :(

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
RB2 was one of the games in a four-slot about three minutes away from my apt. when i was at school. It was in a weird out-of-the-way movie theater arcade; the place was almost always empty so i never got comp other than when i would drag my uninterested friends there to beat up on them.

I played as Joe usually; any suggestions beelz? I just usually whored j.B->s.B->tiger kick or the two hit slash kick; his slide kick; & bakuretsu ken.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
You have Geese on the top tier, but I can't use him at all. The majority opinion around my friends is that he was terrible.... I'm assuming I'm wrong? I am relatively good with Geese in FF3, but not so much with RB2.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Halox said:
You have Geese on the top tier, but I can't use him at all. The majority opinion around my friends is that he was terrible.... I'm assuming I'm wrong? I am relatively good with Geese in FF3, but not so much with RB2.

he gets used by a vast majority of serious rb2 players in japan. i approached a few of them and they admit he's a little overpowered too. play the game and youll see geese like youd see daimon in kof2k3.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay, last night I've played some more RB2 and tried a few things... now I have some questions for you beelze...

First, can you combo into Terry's Rising Tackle after this: (H Power is on) sA -> qcf+B -> qcb+B (juggle) -> ? Any other suggestions for a follow-up?

Second, one of my friends is very good with Billy, he must have read your strat post... now that you've posted how to use him, what are your best strats against him for Terry, Andy or Rick?

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Nice thread, this one is going to make me put my US kit back into my cab.

Anyway, mr. bezzle could you provide
me with some Tung Fue Rue techniques please? yes

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
Nice thread, this one is going to make me put my US kit back into my cab.

Anyway, mr. bezzle could you provide
me with some Tung Fue Rue techniques please? yes

tung fue baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

youve come to the right man!! i am the only tung fue player ive ever seen.

okay. first:

1.whore c.C->qcb+A. you are almost impossible if not impossible to hit after it. at which point you go c.B or s.B or maybe even s.A
2. when jumping use C on the way down (see jumping standing opponents) and B on the way up (see jumping opponents) B has better priority C better hit box.
3. aa with dp+B or ppower
4. wakeup or mixup after qcb+A with dp+B. if they try to attack you will 100% hit them
5. at full screen (and only then) go qcb+C
6. dash with s.A and keep doing it, its like a dash A with gato in kof2k3 aka almost unbeatable, mix it in with c.B when you get close comboed into qcb+A or s.C at med-close range
7. when dashing from mid or far dash into s.C. indeed if c.Cing at mid-close then mixup with s.C. it has the sweet ability of catching ppl who think they can jump at med range against a good tung player (silly fuckers)
8. when they are open your bnb should be s.C (2 hits)-> qcb+A does awesome damage. also use it against ppl who dont land properly when they jump over you.
9. his BC move is really good priority wise
10. small jump A is pretty good for keeping them on the ground and on the back foot.
11. BE RELENTLESS WITH c.C or s.C AND LOTS OF QCB+A THATS HIS ESSENCE.

lastly enjoy winning with him coz ppl will be surprised. hes pretty unassuming :)