Stupid paypal question: can you send money to yourself?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
As an international member, I can't transfer money from my bank account to my paypal balance. So I can only pay directly from my credit card. However, some sellers do not accept payments like this, because they need to upgrade their account and have to pay fees. So my only way to have money in my paypal balance, and use it for paying from it, is to have this money sent from somebody else.

So the question is: would it be possible to send money to myself? It gets deducted from my credit card, and then goes to my paypal balance (minus some fee) so I can use it. Does this make sense?

slerch666

updyke,
I know that if you have it linked to your bank account you can transfer money to your PayPal account, but if all you have is a credit card, I don't know that it will allow you to send money from yourself to yourself. Give it a try, just do the 'send money' and send it to your PayPal email address and see what happens.

Otherwise what you can do is 'pay' someone you trust then have them 'pay' you back the same amount (minus the credit card fee going into their account AND minus the credit card fee going into YOUR account). I think you'd lose a total of about 10% going that route, since PayPal's fee seems to be in the 5% range.

buster_broon

The Rock,
i have a credit card only linked to my paypal account and you cant send money to yourself

tried it before for the us members who dont like credit card payments, my idea was to give myself a balance and then send it - not a chance i'm afraid

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
buster_broon said:
i have a credit card only linked to my paypal account and you cant send money to yourself

tried it before for the us members who dont like credit card payments, my idea was to give myself a balance and then send it - not a chance i'm afraid

I find those guys sometimes stupid.

What would be the diference if credit card paypal users pays by credit card if they don't mind to pay the extra fees ?

Would it make any diference from paying them as if it was by "balance" ?
I guess no, unless the money isn't transfered directly.

Pure burocracy to me.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
buster_broon said:

OK, I had exactly the same idea as you and I see it didn't work for you... :oh_no:

Slerch, I have my Spanish bank account linked to my Paypal account, so I can transfer money from my Paypal balance to it, but it doesn't work the other way round. I have some friends here with a Paypal account as well, so my only solution would be to pay them the money in cash, and then have them send it to my paypal account. Of course I'd get less money due to the fee.

I'll just pass on this seller, fuck him and that's all. The funny part is that he specifically says that international bidders must use paypal, but at the same time he doesn't accept credit card payments through it :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13718&item=3290549039&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Atrophyed said:
I find those guys sometimes stupid.

What would be the diference if credit card paypal users pays by credit card if they don't mind to pay the extra fees ?

Would it make any diference from paying them as if it was by "balance" ?
I guess no, unless the money isn't transfered directly.

Pure burocracy to me.

My guess is that they don't want to upgrade their account. That's all.

What is ridiculous and stupid is what I mentioned in the above post :loco:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
My guess is that they don't want to upgrade their account. That's all.

I think it's also more difficult for the buyer to get his/her money back if they have paid via bank transfer rather than using a credit card. If the payment was made using a card, the buyer can do a chargeback.

slerch666

updyke,
The only reason people don't want you to pay with credit card is because once they've upgraded their account, PayPal takes money not only from people who pay you with credit cards, but from EVERY form of payment. So if you tell someone to give you $50, and they send using PayPal funds or pulled from their account, they actually only receive ~$47. Some may say, 'it's only $3' but if you sell a lot, you lose a lot, of course, when you sell a lot you're likely a business, so if you accepted CCs straight from the buyer you'd get fees for taking CCs as well.

It's that simple. PayPal shouldn't penalize the receiver if the buyer is sending direct from funds, since PayPal only pays the credit card fees IF A PERSON USES A CREDIT CARD. They have to make money somehow I suppose.