Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Fran said:
a few stupid mistakes

but improved my score somehow

mai,oro chris,clark

if this was 98,i'd own you all :emb:

You can't be seriously into a kofNINETYSEVEN score contest without Beni in your team.

Drop that bouncing female already.

Moreover, secret character shold be banned I think. In 97 they were still fairly overpowered.

Last edited:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
the secret charas aintoverpowered at all. terry, mary beni iori are overpowered with a few others. o chris is strong but he cant hold his own against terry or iori. shermie is also not that great. o yashiro is pretty strong. orochi leona and orochi iori are overpowered and so is orochi. the o team is a normal team, not even the strongest team in the game.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Stephane: Paris Hilton has a nice haircut in your sig. Too bad she's an all-around bitch. :(

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
MUSOLINI said:
i usually get between the 450000 and the 530000 region. almost standard every time, so does my little brother. once or twice 600000+(620 or 630 something). 97 and 98 are my favs along with 03. 2k2 and 2k1 are also great (playwise).

Just want to ensure, you are playing on level-8 right? If so, care to share some more in-depth strategies with us?

Fran said:
if this was 98,i'd own you all :emb:

Ah but it's not so for now we own you.

And Shito, no, the secrete characters were left in the final release of the game as selectable bonuses so they are elligible candidates for high score teams. Only Orochi is banned since you need to flip dip switches or install a debug bios.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Neo Bomber Man said:
And Shito, no, the secrete characters were left in the final release of the game as selectable bonuses so they are elligible candidates for high score teams. Only Orochi is banned since you need to flip dip switches or install a debug bios.

Mmmh, you would also accept Omega Rugal in a KOF95 score rank then? :confused:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Shito said:
Mmmh, you would also accept Omega Rugal in a KOF95 score rank then? :confused:

What game are we talking about in this thread?

Say what you will since in '95 Omega Rugal is the final boss yet is selectable -something unknown in any other MVS KoF game. I never thought about it honestly and given the unique case, I say let people decide whatever they want to amongst themselves in their own scoring competitions for that game.

By the way, I will have that scan for you shortly.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
364900... This time, my team was Robert-Terry-Chin. Still no cigar.

The old man can be quite useful. I mainly use his drunken stance against all charas but the grapplers (they throw you out of it) + close 3-in-one combos, the bottle attack and of course the fire breath... bit tricky to get straights/perfects with him, tho, at least for me. Any tips/patterns for him, if that haven't been posted already?

Ah, and another thing, since the engine seems to buffer stick movements like forever, I fooled around with this:

qcf+CD

This works with most (not all) charas who have a projectile or another qcf special on C.

Try it with Ryo, you will see two third of his CD attack animation, followed by the flame punch. It's basically the same if you do a quick CD + qcf+A, but the first method is simpler and quicker. Don't know if this is useful at all but it looks kinda nice.

Last edited:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:

The old man can be quite useful. I mainly use his drunken stance against all charas but the grapplers (they throw you out of it) + close 3-in-one combos, the bottle attack and of course the fire breath... bit tricky to get straights/perfects with him, tho, at least for me. Any tips/patterns for him, if that haven't been posted already?

Ah, and another thing, since the engine seems to buffer stick movements like forever, I fooled around with this:

qcf+CD

This works with most (not all) charas who have a projectile or another qcf special on C.

Try it with Ryo, you will see two third of his CD attack animation, followed by the flame punch. It's basically the same if you do a quick CD + qcf+A, but the first method is simpler and quicker. Don't know if this is useful at all but it looks kinda nice.

Unfortunately I can't really tell you anything about Chin. I never bothered with him and have only in my life met one player who used him. He was actually quite good but then vs competition is a different game entirely.

Neat discovery there by the way. I would love to try it out and post more here etc. except that I sold the back-up system not too long ago and well, I'm in need of it now. :envy: :annoyed: :mad: :crying: Using this you could probably play with the timing and throw off the computer a bit.

And can't anyone recommend some good strategies with Orochi Chris? I really could not get the hang of him, try as I might.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo Bomber Man said:
So what am I saying? This is what I think of the game, tell me what you do and where I might be wrong with my line of thinking based on what you've experienced playing it. I seriously wish I had taken replay movies of a few of the matches I had en route to my victory: seeing that much action come out of a fighter most people ignore was really quite eye-opening to say the least.

Let the discussion begin!

Edit: 4418500 if anyone wants some score competition. Level-4 though.

I have Breakers (the first one) on NGCD and have played it quite a lot (mostly with Sho and Tia), it's an easy-to-learn fighter with a rather limited but solid engine. As you already mentioned, action can be quite intense due to the high speed and a relatively big combo window between two moves, and the CPU opponents sometimes fight quite aggressively, I like that.

However, I don't dig the unbalanced damage ratio between supers, specials and normals. It gives the game a "sloppy" feeling, at least for me... can't really put my finger on it. It's also very string combo-dependend, which isn't bad per se but the limited engine lets many fights look the same, a bit of pokeing, string combos + specials to open up your opp., then a lil' trap + super = end of story.

Graphics are colorful and quite well done but a bit too generic for my taste. Tia is a straight Chun-Li ripoff, she even has Chun's signature yata! winpose... IIRC, Capcom sued Visco for stealing ideas and graphics from the SF series, and you have to admit that the similarity is very obvious.

The differences between the first one and Revenge are minimal, tho. AFAIK, there are no new gameplay/engine features in it, only additional characters and updated graphics, but I could be wrong here.

Oh, and Pielle definitely has the weirdest/gayest voice evar.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Okay, well that was mildly embarrassing. I was wondering what happened to the "thread" about Breaker's Revenge I began... Time to go re-"make" it then and reply properly there :emb: :emb: :emb: :envy:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:

Another thing that came to mind, I could pull some combos from the LD & video (which might even have strategies) but then I don't know how well you play with him as it is.

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
Neo Bomber Man said:
et qu'est-ce qui se passe avec toi? cette competition ne t'interesse plus? :p

ah non pas du tout, meme si j ai pas trop de temps libre pour jouer, mais avoir un bon score au 97 c est pas facile, mais un jour peut etre je te battrais :)

le smiley c est a propos de la reflexion de fran sur le 98 ! :)

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Stephane said:
le smiley c est a propos de la reflexion de fran sur le 98 ! :)

oui, j'ai bien compris cela. bon alors j'attends patiemment le jour ou tu me presente un score magnifique. :glee:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Okay, so after 4 months of no KOF, I am quite out of shape. After a day I crawled back to 435,xxx but am belaboured with problems in general with my main team. So I say it's time for a change. No more Terry, Benimaru, Iori. Takumaji, I am trying your strategies, and can revise some of my earlier ones too. Later, as I am working on the site now :)

With 920,000+ as the world record now, we have some work to do.. Doing the math it's still hard to imagine.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Well, I'm sitting at around 360000, at my top score right now but am still playing around with different characters. If I could get better with Kensou I'd use him as he's such a demon in this game. Any tips?

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji posted about Kensou a while ago http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1075698&postcount=40

I am taking a short break to work on some school/site/side projects but will be back soon.

From playing against him his standing D is very annoying, his trip is great, and use hcf+C I believe to your heart's content. It comes out faster than you might expect which is good at countering opponent hits in close. Off to class!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo Bomber Man said:
Okay, so after 4 months of no KOF, I am quite out of shape. After a day I crawled back to 435,xxx but am belaboured with problems in general with my main team. So I say it's time for a change. No more Terry, Benimaru, Iori. Takumaji, I am trying your strategies, and can revise some of my earlier ones too. Later, as I am working on the site now :)

heh, I try to get a good 97 score ever since you started this topic, no week went by without at least one or two hours of tearing my hair out... my scores are rarely less than 400k now, but I still have to land more straights.

Kensou is a regular member of any of my 97 teams, and I'm working on Athena and Yama at the moment. Yama is a mixed bag, he can be played very competitively, but except for the usual snake tamer barrage and his reversal, I have problems working out a "failsafe" strat for him.

Ah yes, and while I was playing KoF94 ReBout last night and ripped my opponents a new one with that ridiculously overpowered Saisyu SNKP added to the roster, I wished he would be in 97 as well, he's so damn cheap...

With 920,000+ as the world record now, we have some work to do.. Doing the math it's still hard to imagine.

wow

that's one hell of a score, man... who did it?

I can't even see myself reaching scores beyond 600k, but 920k+... crazy.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
More Kensou tips:

- when standing about a chara length away and your opp. attacks you, block and counter with a sC. If you don't stand too close, Kensou will do a double punch that can be followed up with almost any of his specials, preferrably the hcf+A.

- he has a DM that only works when close, it's qcf x2+P. Jump towards your opp. and start inputting the DM command very shortly before you land (a la Takuma close qcf x2+P). It also works as a wake-up move. You can combo into the DM off of a close cA for nice damage.

- same goes for Kensou's close dp+P (keep tapping) special, it's quite useful as a wake-up or combo finisher. If you want to be on the safe side, only use it against cornered opps, use the C version and follow it up with a hcf+A against tall charas like Chang and Yama (difficult).

- against charas with rushing moves like Terry's Burn Knuckle, the qcb+P projectile works wonders, but always keep your eyes on overhead attacks like the Power Dunk or Ryo's qcf+K, counter it with an rdp+B or a quick hcf+C. Again, the safest way to get through with excessive fireball spamming is to position yourself at least a screen-length away.

- as mentioned before, his s/cD is a great tool to keep your opps. at bay. You can win entire rounds against dumb charas like Chang by sD's alone, but our steel ball-totin' friend is a joke anyway when played by the CPU (in 97 that is) so there should be no prob nailing him.

- for some nasty high/low games, super-jump, pull off his air qcb+P, then jab a little and take off again with an rdp+K.

- you can combo into his qcf,hcb+K DM off of a sC/D (the f+A/B command moves should work as well) or the 2nd hit of his mid-range sC.

Last edited:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:
heh, I try to get a good 97 score ever since you started this topic, no week went by without at least one or two hours of tearing my hair out... my scores are rarely less than 400k now, but I still have to land more straights.

Ah yes, and while I was playing KoF94 ReBout last night and ripped my opponents a new one with that ridiculously overpowered Saisyu SNKP added to the roster, I wished he would be in 97 as well, he's so damn cheap...

Quite an enjoyable challenge isn't this? I keep making stupid little mistakes, blocking one move here & there or so that's costing me a lot of perfects. I was very much on track to beat my own score a day or so ago and then totally blew it on the Orochi's of all people.. sigh. Okay so it goes from enjoyable to frustrating pretty quickly sometimes. Strangely, I now almost always fight edit teams and lots of my own Terry strategies I posted here seem outdated. It's as if the AI actually is learning from what I used to do to it.

Speaking of Terry, I was throwing out moves after blowing a perfect on Kyo and it seems if you get in close you can keep doing B crack shots over & over, he'll either block leading to a guard crush or just stand there & take them, but watch out. You have to do them immediately once you land or in that case he might try to counter.

And vs Chin, throwing A power waves all the time can work pretty well too instead of A then C, A then C. The reason being that you won't always knock him down so you can continue a bit faster and overall land more hits, finishing off with a Power Geiser. This helps your score and can save you a few seconds, adding to the time bonus.

One more point with mr Bogard. If you're small jumping at them with a CD, and this works well when starting the round, do 6 in a row then when you land, cancel a crouching C into a power charge and let the games begin. By the 2nd cC/pc you will either hit, or guard crush and hit them. And look at that, they're cornered too!

I didn't know Saisyu was in '94 ReBout.. sounds pretty fun. I should convince one of my friends to buy it :D

Well about that score, Gemant posted it from the Arcadia/Gamest/NGF records, though on what difficulty the guy played... no idea.

If you discover any great strategies for Athena do share. I simply can't get the hang of her in '97, the computer actually plays her much better than I can. Yamazaki, be patient is what I can recommend. If you want to play him defensively train your eyes to notice any feet leaving the ground then sit there with your counter. Otherwise use his long limbs, standing D, jumping D, even the jumping CD to your advantage and the snake arm is great for keeping opponents away from you is all I can say for the moment. He's tricky, that's all there is to it.