Somebody beat this score

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
SNK's early games are notorious for being able to control the CPU easily with whiffed moves. I didn't know it worked like that in '97, though. That's pretty cool! I'm going to have to try some of this stuff when I get back home.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:
Nice Terry strats there, work like a charm! :)

Btw. NBM, do you know who or what GENZ is? It's written on a banner in the background of USA stage and I always wondered what it could mean.

No, actually. I can't even picture it since I have not had the chance to admire backgrounds while watching other people play for a long time. Earlier this evening I packed up my system too so that is the end of my playing for now.

I'm getting better with Beni... after applying some of your strats I really started feeling sorry for my CPU opponents... badass!

Haha, see, he is not so difficult to use. Try cancelling the fwd+B into other moves if you want to practice something more with him. And just never forget that Electrigger. Evil thing to do in-close.

Whiffed moves do it for me. It's really funny how you can force the CPU into doing stupid things with whiffed crouching moves. Yesterday I stormed through the first four team matches with Andy alone, a bit of crouching Bs into thin air, then either a hcf+K, or simply qcb+Ps, toast.

The only CPU opp. apart from Yama where most patterns become useless would be Billy I guess... his damn stick just has too good range, which is a problem for most setups unless your chara has a projectile.

Yep, even as late as this and beyond you can fool the CPU into doing all sorts of stupid stuff. AI is only artificial after all. I have come to discover over the past couple days that the CPU does in fact have its own very effective counters & avoid techniques to many cheese patterns in this game -it simply does not often choose to employ them.

vs Billy... mix it up a lot. The CPU has several different ways it will play him and you have to be ready for them all so never, ever stick to the same attacking pattern vs him. Try to determine multiple ways of breaking his defences. Either jumping CD's, dash rolling in, small/big jumping in or completely over him, reapeating blocked combos to force him into rolling toward you and getting punished and just not tossing out a lot of early or stupid normal attacks as you will often be countered with his block&counters.

If I find this on MVS in Japan I will try my best to add to the scores/strategies though most likely I will not find another on level-8 until I am back in Hong Kong.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Easiest way for me to beat that score would be a team led by Benimaru, with Clark and Shermie as backup.

Clark and Shermie have the best point earning moves, and Benimaru can single handedly perfect straight most teams. So when, god forbid, your Benimaru is knocked out, you at least have a couple members that can rack you up huge points with their SDMs.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I know you want to give us more reason to play, so come on, you even seem to have a camera now.

Clark is a lot of fun and really doesn't even need DM's. I gave him up long ago as too many people in HK used him and I wanted to be different.

Advice noted though, and thanks.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Live thread, live! :)

My killer team setup is more or less fixed now, it's either Beni - Ralf - Kensou or Beni - Terry - Kensou, with Ryo and Andy as backup charas. Still haven't managed to get more than 350k~390k but thanks to all the patterns I've learned (and found) I think I will be able to bite a bit of Chinese hi-score ass by the end of this year! ;)

Man, "fighting" against Orochi is just mad fun. He completely sucks but I really like his character design and his DMs... I also dig those after-image animations of his arms a lot. On the other hand, his skills are quite pathetic for a demi-god who had 1800 years to prepare for another battle against humankind... approach, short-back, roll, combo, roll, combo, roll, combo, dm, dead.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
Live thread, live! :)

My killer team setup is more or less fixed now, it's either Beni - Ralf - Kensou or Beni - Terry - Kensou, with Ryo and Andy as backup charas. Still haven't managed to get more than 350k~390k but thanks to all the patterns I've learned (and found) I think I will be able to bite a bit of Chinese hi-score ass by the end of this year! ;)

Man, "fighting" against Orochi is just mad fun. He completely sucks but I really like his character design and his DMs... I also dig those after-image animations of his arms a lot. On the other hand, his skills are quite pathetic for a demi-god who had 1800 years to prepare for another battle against humankind... approach, short-back, roll, combo, roll, combo, roll, combo, dm, dead.

My team would be Beni, Iori, Billy/Any

I love beni in 97. His cx D to cB's is fantastic. His electrigger comes out mad fast, and there is that evil 97 damage to go with it.

I think Orochi and Igniz are the coolest bosses of the series.
To bad Orochi is so damn stupid, even on LEVEL-8, you can just win with fierce pokes. (*COUGH-benistandingC/D-Cough*)
Its all good regardless. 97 is one of the best KOF's IMO.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I think Mukai was an excellent progression from Orochi - had something close to one of Orochi's DMs, and just a great great design. In Fact, KoF 2003 is definitely one of the best KoFs - I mean, since 98, I was so displeased with the series. But I really do love 2003.

Still though, 97 had the best gameplay feeling. Nothing beat corning an opponent with Terry and power charge into a low punch ad infinitum on their asses...

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi said:
I think Mukai was an excellent progression from Orochi - had something close to one of Orochi's DMs, and just a great great design. In Fact, KoF 2003 is definitely one of the best KoFs - I mean, since 98, I was so displeased with the series. But I really do love 2003.

Still though, 97 had the best gameplay feeling. Nothing beat corning an opponent with Terry and power charge into a low punch ad infinitum on their asses...

Yeah, KOF 2003 is one of the most unique KOF's. Although it has the cheapest tiers ever, you can still hold you're own.
I think 2003 Billy is my fave. 98/RB2 Billy, 95 Billy. I like those 4 Billy's above all else.

2003 is a class game, and it took me alot of complaint and alot of matches to realize I was addicted to it.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
yeah, it helps if you can get over the Ash, DuoLon and Shen Woo team's gayness.

And Gato adds such redeeming value to the game.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi said:
yeah, it helps if you can get over the Ash, DuoLon and Shen Woo team's gayness.

And Gato adds such redeeming value to the game.

IMO, out of the peeps I've played.
Ash, Tizoc and Benimaru are the cheapest. Duo Lon is highly over rated and I've said this for a while, there is no shame in using him.
Its Ash and his stupid traps that piss people off, especially when he sets up situations which can be literally unavoidable.

C, you should post at on.com.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:

So do I. I really feel redeemed for the time it takes me to get to him. It's just a lot of fun. Even more fun if you have ever used him :mr_t:

I... I am really feeling like throwing my whole team out the window to start with another one.

Clark is pretty evil, Joe is an unknown monster, and #3...... hmm, still haven't gotten used to Orochi Chris that well, but Ryo/Andy would be okay, or perhaps finally learning Kensou. Or just improving with Billy/Yamazaki.

From what I recall Clark also had cheap traps whereby you could knock the cpu down, small jump up, then backbreaker + knuckle when you land, though every human player knows that trick and would try to counter by any means.
Rolling cradler + knuckle is a pretty effective way of grabbing often unexpectedly when in close, and just pisses people off a lot.
You can often Frankensteiner the cpu as it is getting up but again this never really works against human opponents either.
If you have sharp eyes you can easily catch + knuckle even I think anyone as soon as they leave the ground.
Standing CD was good and so were a few other normal attacks, but I will have to search out a '97 MVS out here later this week and see what I can do.

Joe may be obscure at first but he is quite the pisser-offer once you get him down. It involves throwing lots of Hurricane Uppers and following up with well-planned jumping D's (combo starter) or Thrash Kicks (or is it Slash Kick? same thing in Japanese!), mainly. You will often catch them with one or more Uppers and quickly will corner them. From there it all ends reasonably quickly once you get the patterns down. Because, should you connect that jumping D instead of just hurricane/kicking them to death, you have a few nice options:

Jumping D, standing C, fwd+B, Thrash Kick. Good 4-hitter, good dizzy points, good damage.
Jumping D, standing C, hurricane+a, crouching C, fwd+B, thrash kick (corner only this one) = dizzy. There is some variant on this I forget.
And then as a follow-up, why not: Jumping D, standing C, fwd+B, golden heal kick+B, then his qcf,hcb DM. :)

Another thing about cornering them with Joe is that if you can catch them jumping high in the corner, you can do 3 golden heal kicks + Tiger kick for 7 hits and a dizzy. Then jumping D and....

Rolling opponents are best to beat off with the TNT punch I found, but then I am still experimenting with him, and of course his slide is useful.

Should be enough to get you started. You just have to play around with the hurricane uppers to determine for yourself which to throw and when precisely. :)

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE FROM YOUR GRAAAAAVE!!!

yeah?

If there were chairs by the television here I could keep contributing, however, being in an OLD Japanese house the idea is to sit on the mats on the floor, and I can't do that while playing KoF....

Still, surely someone else has something more to contribute?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
heh... "The Thread Will Rise Again!"

Still haven't beaten your score, dammit! :)

I'm close, tho... last time I played, I got slightly less than 400k with the most cheesy tactics imaginable. I've saved most of the stuff you posted for further reference, specially the gameplay tips for some charas are very useful, btw.

I use Joe a lot, just like the rest of my 97 faves like Kensou, Ralf, Ryo and now Beni. Most of his moves do high damage, I really love his golden heel kicks and the extremely useful hurricanes, and I guess we don't have to talk about his full-screen DMs... just a bad ass chara.

I've also thought about adding Athena to my team. I'm not a big fan of her but I dig her speed and all those mean setups for combos.

Oh, and about Chris/O.Chris, I use him because I like his moves and the general design but I'm not good with him, except for KoF2k2 where I've found some really cool BC cancels. From the Orochi charas, I like Shermie and Yash best... However, Shermie is a mixed bag for me, just like Chin. These are charas I'm either very good with or totally abysmal, specially Shermie has not a lot of "fall-back" moves where you can count on if things get too hot for you and your standard tactics won't work.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
i should finally have the damn usb adapter for my saturn stick in 2 weeks or so

i'll get to the top with my ralf / benimaru / random character team :drool_2:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I love Altered Beast.

I have yet to best my own score either. I can't find '97 around here on MVS anywhere anymore. Sounds like you are quite on the right path anyhow. Jumping D with Joe is another fairly good move to keep in mind, even when jumping back.

Athena is odd to me in that I find the CPU actually uses her much more effectively than I despite whatever cheese and infinites I go for. But I do love trying with her at least.

Orochi Chris is more non-standard to use than I think he ought to be. Or I merely suck with him. Suppose we both realize he will take some time to learn as he can do nasty damage in the right hands. I also really need to work on connecting his C->fwd+A->special move. I can do that sort of cancel yet seemingly never with him.

But one day I will challenge you with Shingo!

Fran said:
i should finally have the damn usb adapter for my saturn stick in 2 weeks or so

i'll get to the top with my ralf / benimaru / random character team :drool_2:

I simply can't wait.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo Bomber Man said:
One more time! 460100 is the number of the hour to beat.

...and there goes NBM with another great score. Nice one, I'm still stuck with my old score, too few perfects, too few straight wins. Once I broke the 400k limit but I forgot my score, something along 402,xxx.

Haven't posted here lately, but I'm still hunting your score, just you wait...! :)

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Fran says he is going to give it a go at last; I am expecting to come 2nd place. Hope so anyhow as that score of mine should be reasonably beatable.

I will try to contribute more once I finally get caught up in the last of my courses. In the meantime come on people, show us all that there are skills behind the words.

Last edited:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
bah
340000 and something
orochi chris / beni / mai
yes,i know its a shitty score
only tried for an hour or so,
its not easy as i thought to go back to 97 after yeeeeeears of 98
i had forgotten cpu orochi yashiro was such a cheap bastard,
you cant throw him no matter what
having to input the three codes EVERY TIME i start a new game to get oro chris
is seriously starting to drive me crazy
the hk bg is still a punch in the eye
its officially the worst kof bg before the advent of mexico / brazil 2001 :rolleyes:
i would use iori a lot more in 97 but the fact he cant perform the 3 flowers after f+A = no no for me
i'm too used to his 98 incarnation
will probably post more tomorrow
j,i know,pm coming your way in a couple hours

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Fran said:
the hk bg is still a punch in the eye
its officially the worst kof bg before the advent of mexico / brazil 2001 :rolleyes:

lol :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
344600... Ralf/Beni/Kensou.

:-/

my focus on per-reaction gameplay always takes its toll, it's so damn hard for me to patiently keep on doing patterns.

I also sometimes "overtake myself" with exaggerated input speed for DMs, compared to 2k1/2k2, stuff like Ryo's Ranbu can be pulled off almost in slow motion.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
344600... Ralf/Beni/Kensou.

:-/

my focus on per-reaction gameplay always takes its toll, it's so damn hard for me to patiently keep on doing patterns.

I also sometimes "overtake myself" with exaggerated input speed for DMs, compared to 2k1/2k2, stuff like Ryo's Ranbu can be pulled off almost in slow motion.

Haha man I hear ya. I hate repeating some dumb ass patterns.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
i usually get between the 450000 and the 530000 region. almost standard every time, so does my little brother. once or twice 600000+(620 or 630 something). 97 and 98 are my favs along with 03. 2k2 and 2k1 are also great (playwise).

i got below 400k a few times but thats when things dont work out the way you want to. just win with straits against comp all the time, ad a few perfects and always fight with combos (standard and super). i always finish with a dm or sdm combo (also during 2p games). i do ussualy use the tiers but not all the time. fav 97 chars i use:

terry
yamazaki
iori
mary
kyo
mai
o.yash
kensou
ryo/robert
beni
anthena
kim

o.iori and o.leona but only in 1p games. although i can use all charas these are my favs and the strongest along with a few i didnt mention.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
a few stupid mistakes

but improved my score somehow

mai,oro chris,clark

if this was 98,i'd own you all :emb: