Somebody beat this score

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
One-upped myself a few hours ago by precisely 10000 points.

kof97score-2.jpg

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Great strategy post and scoring infos NBM, now I have even more respect for the 97 hi score... Straights are one thing, but constant perfects + ending most/all battles with a furious DM combo is really something.

Congrats to your new score - I haven't improved mine since last night, wanted to play a few more rounds but one of my friends dragged his brand-new crystal Xbox over and insisted on showing me his new modded baby (which looks awful IMO)... sometimes you have to be patient... I guess we re-booted the damn thing more than we actually played some games but that's another discussion... :smirk:

I play a lot of vs-CPU games but I mostly use patterns or cheesy tacticts against bosses, like Johan in RotD, Rugal in 98, Igniz in 2k1, etc. During normal game, I play on a standard per-reaction basis which mostly leads to wins but not to a good score... it's really very interesting to find out all these "cheap" tacticts in order to get lots of points, and sometimes it's funny as hell how stupid the CPU can be. Yesterday morning I was playing Singles with Yamazaki to try a few things and found that the Sado Mazo must be a strange attractor for many CPU charas, same with Billy's reversals. The only exceptions are Yama himself and Mary.

Speaking about Mary, she's very sat-back in 97 it seems... I had a Team Battle game going with Kensou-Ralf-Terry, round 3, Ralf vs. Mary. I was about to start the round when my mobile rang, I rushed downstairs but forgot to pause the game, then I returned about 10 mins. later but my Ralf stil had more than half of its energy left while Mary just did some convulsive twists. A couple of crouching sweeps and Gatling Attacks later she was gone... no comparison to FF3 Mary.

Oh and btw., I think I've found another weird thing, if you do a neutral qcf/qcb or hcf/hcb without pressing a button shortly before your opp. (that must be more than 2 chara lengths away) starts an attack, the CPU seems to "read" it and changes to silly far jumping/high attacks in some cases. With Terry, I did that against Joe and he started throwing out far Golden Heels that I could easily punish with Crack Shoots, hop back, repeat. Don't know if that was just a temporary issue, will try it again with different charas.

Yeppo... hey, that's fun... man, thanks for the inspiration! :)

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I have some matches of me and someone I know playing 97. I recorder them via vcr. Not the best quality. I was constantly canceling the tamer to build when possibe.
Its the best build in KOF as far as im concerned.

hcf a/b/c, d repeat. What really sucks is if the opp decides to take initiative and try to attack, you just use the proper variation and screw them every time. (Non projectile chars are easier to deal with)
I swear, characters like Chizuru dont stand a chance to Yama.

Yama is extremely dangerous in 2003 as well. His LDM is just a nightmare and a pain to predict due to the speed.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:
Great strategy post and scoring infos NBM, now I have even more respect for the 97 hi score... Straights are one thing, but constant perfects + ending most/all battles with a furious DM combo is really something.

Yeah, hitting DM combos makes all the difference there. I was cheesing the New Face Team with Benimaru once and scored just over 80,000, all perfect & straight. I beat the Art of Fighting Team similarly but hit 2 Raikouken DM's and 2 Raikouken SDM's. Score: 86700. Of course I was still semi-cheaping them and got away with block damage which does the job yet yields no points.

Benimaru is easy to cheap people with. His Lightning Drill/mid-air Raijinken to Shinkuukatategoma pattern is too abusable. But there again it gets you almost no points, even if perfect victories. This pattern however works particularly well against those two teams spoken of above.

With the following exceptions: Do not Drill Shermie. She will counter with priority. A better pattern against her is to throw crouching B's to sucker her into a Shermie Shoot (the dashing suplex) in which case you can score a counter hit Shinkuu. She is also one to walk into a lot of Raijinken's if you throw them from the right distance away. Yashiro is oddly enough another big victim of it. Yuri & Ryo are notorious for this; particularly Yuri. Ex. my standard match against her:
Take a few steps back, Raijinken (knockdown). Big jump->mid-air Raijinken as she is getting up (another knockdown). Then just walk up and lightning fist her over & over as she is getting up. Hit the DM when she is dizzy and voila. It works almost as well against Ryo although he is a bit less likely to stand up into the fist, so either walk back and Raijinken him (the trick is to be far enough away to hit them, but not so close that the CPU would/could roll in and combo), mid-air Raijinken as he is getting up, C Shinkuukatategoma when you land, and once you fly back he will jump at you making him easy prey for whatever attack you care to launch.
The pattern does & doesn't work against Robert. Sometimes he plays like a fool, other times like he is Hell-bent on ruining your straight.

Generally speaking I always found the computer to be quite succeptible to cross-up B's into crouching B's into a C Shinkuukatategoma. Something to try out.

More general strategies with Benimaru:
-If you hit a mid-air lightning drill, when you land either hit a standing C (will not always connect depending on their distance from you) or a Raikouken (mostly with C due to the height of the falling opponent, but with A when you have to).
-Big jumping towards the enemy and grab them with an Electrigger when you land. Works so well. Just be careful of particular opponents like Clark, Mai, Shermie, Goro, Orochi Yashiro and odd others who will either counter you 99% of the time or throw/DM you themselves when you land.
-Standing C can always be connected into a fwd+B and then something else. It is a nice little extra hit. You can even do a standing C -> fwd+B ->Electrigger. I have done it and it works.
-Handou Sandan Geri has a lot of dizzy points attached to it. Also great for catching people rolling/dashing at you because it is relatively quick and has a LOT of priority.
-If you are rolled at there really is nothing better to do than a C Shinkuukatategoma. Particularly if they roll from about next to you. Incidentally this is about the only way to get the full 11 hits out of it.
-After knocking an opponent down, small jump straight up and grab them with a Benimaru Koreda when you land.

Congrats to your new score - I haven't improved mine since last night, wanted to play a few more rounds but one of my friends dragged his brand-new crystal Xbox over and insisted on showing me his new modded baby (which looks awful IMO)... sometimes you have to be patient... I guess we re-booted the damn thing more than we actually played some games but that's another discussion... :smirk:

I play a lot of vs-CPU games but I mostly use patterns or cheesy tacticts against bosses, like Johan in RotD, Rugal in 98, Igniz in 2k1, etc. During normal game, I play on a standard per-reaction basis which mostly leads to wins but not to a good score... it's really very interesting to find out all these "cheap" tacticts in order to get lots of points, and sometimes it's funny as hell how stupid the CPU can be. Yesterday morning I was playing Singles with Yamazaki to try a few things and found that the Sado Mazo must be a strange attractor for many CPU charas, same with Billy's reversals. The only exceptions are Yama himself and Mary.

Thanks. I was really excited after I beat Orochi, wondering if I had really done it or not. Then I rushed to go find my digicam once it was confirmed. I find it funny in some ways though. I don't know if I am getting sloppy or nervous. I used to average at least one perfect/straight victory. Now I average a lot more multiple perfects on the same team and half the time only a straight victory against the team.

I used to play the computer itself like that, reactionary moves and such, but I can't do that anymore. I am simply obssessed with getting high scores so I use all sorts of tactics I learn through lots of play. Vs play is the opposite though. Non-stop, unmerciful attacking since most people will know the patterns I can use.

Yamazaki I think is one of the few characters that plays with some intelligence. In fact the whole '97 Special Team has better AI than the majority of the game's characters.
If you want something challenging to try with Yamazaki try the infinite Sandblast Kick. After the kick (dp+B), cancel into a Snake Arm + C and immediately cancel the SA with D, then repeat. No need for it to be a C Snake Arm, it just helps that the C button is next to the D one :) You get 5 hits out of it and nearly a full DM stock, plus they are dizzied. Then jump in and DM combo since with another say jumping D, standing C you will have your DM stock so you may as well cancel into one.
You can mix it up by cancelling from the Kick to a standing A twice and finally into X attack -> Snake Arm after the 3rd Kick or whatever yet it seems more fun doing it the infinite way. :D Not that I can ever keep it up long enough for all 5 hits.

Speaking about Mary, she's very sat-back in 97 it seems... I had a Team Battle game going with Kensou-Ralf-Terry, round 3, Ralf vs. Mary. I was about to start the round when my mobile rang, I rushed downstairs but forgot to pause the game, then I returned about 10 mins. later but my Ralf stil had more than half of its energy left while Mary just did some convulsive twists. A couple of crouching sweeps and Gatling Attacks later she was gone... no comparison to FF3 Mary.

I attack Mary a lot and she attacks me in return quite a bit too. Perhaps I should take it easier on her. I agree that if you stand there she will throw out CD attacks and counter grabs for nothing, or lots of slides. If you start attacking her furiously however she responds with the same warm feelings towards you. FF3 Mary was probably the smartest she ever will be. And the bounciest too ;)

Oh and btw., I think I've found another weird thing, if you do a neutral qcf/qcb or hcf/hcb without pressing a button shortly before your opp. (that must be more than 2 chara lengths away) starts an attack, the CPU seems to "read" it and changes to silly far jumping/high attacks in some cases. With Terry, I did that against Joe and he started throwing out far Golden Heels that I could easily punish with Crack Shoots, hop back, repeat. Don't know if that was just a temporary issue, will try it again with different charas.

Yeppo... hey, that's fun... man, thanks for the inspiration! :)

Nice discovery, or potential one at that. I will have to try that out myself sometime. Another Terry vs Joe strategy: Joe gets up pretty quickly so you will have to power wave him early if you want to nail him with that on his way back to his feet. Of course you can determine that on your own easily enough, but anyhow.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo Bomber Man said:
Benimaru is easy to cheap people with. His Lightning Drill/mid-air Raijinken to Shinkuukatategoma pattern is too abusable. But there again it gets you almost no points, even if perfect victories. This pattern however works particularly well against those two teams spoken of above.

With the following exceptions: Do not Drill Shermie. She will counter with priority. A better pattern against her is to throw crouching B's to sucker her into a Shermie Shoot (the dashing suplex) in which case you can score a counter hit Shinkuu. She is also one to walk into a lot of Raijinken's if you throw them from the right distance away. Yashiro is oddly enough another big victim of it. Yuri & Ryo are notorious for this; particularly Yuri. Ex. my standard match against her:
Take a few steps back, Raijinken (knockdown). Big jump->mid-air Raijinken as she is getting up (another knockdown). Then just walk up and lightning fist her over & over as she is getting up. Hit the DM when she is dizzy and voila. It works almost as well against Ryo although he is a bit less likely to stand up into the fist, so either walk back and Raijinken him (the trick is to be far enough away to hit them, but not so close that the CPU would/could roll in and combo), mid-air Raijinken as he is getting up, C Shinkuukatategoma when you land, and once you fly back he will jump at you making him easy prey for whatever attack you care to launch.
The pattern does & doesn't work against Robert. Sometimes he plays like a fool, other times like he is Hell-bent on ruining your straight.

You're right about the AoF team, the 97 engine (and most others except perhaps 95) does not play them well, specially Yuri. As a character, she had her ups and downs, but tho she's not the strongest in 97, the CPU often fools around with endless running slaps, badly timed uppercuts and all the other stuff that can be easily punished. If you'd only see CPU-controlled Yuri battles, you could get the impression that she'd be worthless, yet she has a few fun setups that are quite interesting (and fairly strong). Still, if you want to see her full potential, you'd be better off with AoF2 IMO... she's so damn annoying in that it's ridiculous...

Benimaru can be a monster but I have to practise him more, thanks to your tips I guess I will get him down at least in 97. Okay, I know the basic stuff, but specially in 2P fights I quickly loose control with him because I don't know him as well as, say, Ryo, Kensou, Ralf, Goro, etc. Even with all his simple (compared to charge charas or grapplers) quarter-circle and half-circle specials and his quickness I don't rate him as a typical pick-up-and-play chara, he's best in the hands of one of those day-1 Beni fans that often annoyed the shit outta me by electrocuting one attack after another, and just when you think it's safe to score a jumping attack, you eat even more electric death...

Interesting Beni patterns tho, thanks for typing all that stuff, just c&p'd that to my faqs!

About Shermie, she's another one of those cases of bad CPU playing, that is if you don't let her enough room to fall into her grabbing routine. The CPU seems to operate her with a certain groove, and if you spoil this, she's toast. Now, human-controlled Shermie is another beast... totally unpredictable, easy and powerful throws and that super-bitch CD...

CPU Yash (not O.Yash) is also quite weak but he has always been. The move the CPU really seems to love is the Sledgehammer (qcb+P), when I'm playing him with Ryo I usually join the fun and start throwing out timed qcf+Ks, looks a bit silly on screen but it's fun.

Thanks. I was really excited after I beat Orochi, wondering if I had really done it or not. Then I rushed to go find my digicam once it was confirmed. I find it funny in some ways though. I don't know if I am getting sloppy or nervous. I used to average at least one perfect/straight victory. Now I average a lot more multiple perfects on the same team and half the time only a straight victory against the team.

In my case, this happens if I read too many faqs and step away from my usual playing style for a while to try out promising strats, I've learned that I've already lost a match when I start thinking about the next move or a certain setup for a combo. Sometimes I'm stupid enough to insist on landing that awesome super-double-triple damage DM combo that I've seen in a vid while my opponent (or the CPU) beats my ass all over the screen with just a few well-placed normals.... it's the same ol' song, sometimes KoF is more about when NOT to attack than those flashy big combos.

Yamazaki I think is one of the few characters that plays with some intelligence. In fact the whole '97 Special Team has better AI than the majority of the game's characters.
If you want something challenging to try with Yamazaki try the infinite Sandblast Kick. After the kick (dp+B), cancel into a Snake Arm + C and immediately cancel the SA with D, then repeat. No need for it to be a C Snake Arm, it just helps that the C button is next to the D one :) You get 5 hits out of it and nearly a full DM stock, plus they are dizzied. Then jump in and DM combo since with another say jumping D, standing C you will have your DM stock so you may as well cancel into one.
You can mix it up by cancelling from the Kick to a standing A twice and finally into X attack -> Snake Arm after the 3rd Kick or whatever yet it seems more fun doing it the infinite way. :D Not that I can ever keep it up long enough for all 5 hits.

Ah, the Snake Tamer cancel combo! This does work in 2k2 as well and I've already been through practising it, it's really very difficult but in some arcades you gain instant super freak status if you nonchalantly walk up to a cab and bury your opponent with it... it's not as easy as it sounds, I can do two or three in a row but then I almost always spoil it.

Yama is a very tough opponent and one kick-ass chara design, I immediately loved him when I first saw him in 97. Guess that's the reason why he's a cut above the rest intelligence-wise, perhaps they wanted ppl to learn to fear him.

Last edited:

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Is it just scores for '97, or can people with '98 join in on the fun too?

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
madmanjock said:
ha, pwned

kof97score.jpg

Nice hackjob, but work on covering up more of the J under that pasted C. :)

@KagerouSama: given that we are discussing '97 in-depthly here it doesn't really make sense to bring in '98 scores. It is a different game with a different number of matches and a dissimilar roster so any comparison would be pretty meaningless. Just start another score thread, mention '98 in the title and you will likely get thrice the replies in one quarter the time.

@Takumaji: Actually I will reply when I am home. Just stopped by uni here to use the toilets & check some messages :D

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
highscore in the 98 arent interesting ! if i put some effort i m sure to get every perfect and straight with athena or takuma, level 8

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Stephane said:
highscore in the 98 arent interesting ! if i put some effort i m sure to get every perfect and straight with athena or takuma, level 8
That's easy to do though, the AI is stupid in 97 and in 98, setting the game on level 8 doesn't mean much either....

I never cared for scores in fighting games, only thing that got me interested in them was a score I got in MOTW a month or 2 back. I'll get a pic of it and post it up when I put new batteries in my cam.

edit-I think I may still have it in my photobucket, I'll check that later today.

Last edited:

KLSADAKO

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Another way to get perfects is by using choi's, Wee, Wee, Wee, works like a treat. Or with Robert HCB+D/d+B/HCB+D/d+B/Repeat.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
KLSADAKO said:
Or with Robert HCB+D/d+B/HCB+D/d+B/Repeat.

Good grief, I forgot all about that... Well add it to the list! I gave up on Robert 2 summers ago to experiment with other characters. Don't know how I could forget that though.

I still have a lot more to say about Terry & some more to say about Benimaru before moving onto some others and yes, very correct you are, Choi is a nutter in that game. But one I never bothered trying to learn how to control so I can't say too much about him.

Anyone & everyone else, contribute what you like! Even if you don't type essays.

KLSADAKO

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Theres also this hard way to get a perfect with Iori, I saw this Hong Kong master do it a few times, once on Orochi Leona, which I still class as the greatest round I've ever seen.

AS soon as the match starts, Iori jumps to the corner does his HCF+C, then C, QCB+A, QCB+A, C (the standing C will knock the opponent back to a standing position), B, f+A, QCB+C, QCB+C, by this point Leona will be seeing stars, the master then jumps +C, standing +C, f+A, by this point Iori has one power gauge to use, QCF,HCB+C/ 100% death combo on computer only. Has anyone else seen something similar.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
389200, Ralf-Kensou-Ryo. That seems to be the most I can squeeze out of the game for now. I've concentrated on straights but I need more perfects + DM finishers to get a higher score.

Anyway, here are some details about the Kensou patterns I've mentioned:

qcb+P -> hcf+A

This one works against almost any opponents, including grapplers like Shermie or Clark (not Goro, see below). Super-jump back and prepare to throw the fireball as soon as you've landed. The super-jump will lure many CPU opponents into doing a rushing or jumping attack so they will eat your projectile.

Now wait and see what happens - if the fireball hits, just throw another one, DON'T do a hcf+A, chances are good that your opp. will recover while you're still in the move anim, you will hit the block and get CD countered. In any other case (opp. blocks it/rolls through it or jumps at you), do the hcf+A. If it fully connects (all 3 hits), repeat the whole thing, super-jump back, throw fireball, etc. If only the 2nd or 3rd hit connects, get ready to pull off a qcb+C projectile for quicker reaction.

If your opp. jumps at you, use a hcf+C instead to knock him out of the air or throw another fireball which will hit him on landing.

Some charas seem to be easily overwhelmed by constant aggressive attacks (like Yuri), against these opps. you can throw out endless qcb+A's and hcf+A's until they drop, with some reverse-dp+K air kicks thrown in if they try to crossup you.

The projectile attack is very safe (of course), but be careful with the hcf+A against some charas. Yamazaki, Mary and Goro have reversals and high-priority moves that easily knock you out of it. For these opps., it's safer to stick to the second Kensou pattern (see next paragraph) or fireballs and quick high/low games.

(air) qcb+P -> cD

If you're about two character lenghts/half a screen away, jump up (not necessarily towards your opp.) and pull off the qcb+P, Kensou will zoom down diagonally (thus closing in) and hit while coming down, but that's not the point in this case.

The air qcb+P will lure most opponents into doing an anti-air move if they have one, or do a jumping attack, but since your air-qcb+P will position you right in place for a crouching D, you can easily punish them with it when they land/recover from their anti-air.

Do that against charas like Ryo, jump up, do the qcb+P while in air and zoom down and hold the stick down-back, Kensou will land in (and stay) in a crouching position. Ryo will do a Ko Hou uppercut in most cases, then simply wait for him to come down and kick him with a crouching D. Sometimes he will try to punish you with a qcf+K (hits high) while you're still crouching, in this case you have to stand up for a standing block or it will hit you. Do a CD counter or super-jump back for the fireball + hcf+A pattern, or simply repeat this pattern here.

Usually, I can land at least four or five of these patterns in a row before the CPU stops doing useless anti-airs, then I do a last air-qcb+P and immediately continue with a hcf+P instead.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
KLSADAKO said:
Theres also this hard way to get a perfect with Iori, I saw this Hong Kong master do it a few times, once on Orochi Leona, which I still class as the greatest round I've ever seen.

AS soon as the match starts, Iori jumps to the corner does his HCF+C, then C, QCB+A, QCB+A, C (the standing C will knock the opponent back to a standing position), B, f+A, QCB+C, QCB+C, by this point Leona will be seeing stars, the master then jumps +C, standing +C, f+A, by this point Iori has one power gauge to use, QCF,HCB+C/ 100% death combo on computer only. Has anyone else seen something similar.

Never heard of that! I am going to print that out though and give it a go. Evil! As for similar there is the classic Iori 100% combo:

@corner
MAX yuriori (jumping B cross-up kick), standing C, scumgale, standing C, scumgale, standing C, Yaotome (Maiden Masher) SDM = 100%.

There is also a variation to this which essentially yields the same result:

@corner
yuriori, standing C, scumgale, standing C, scumgale, standing C, deadly flower x 3 = dizzy and not a whole lot of life left.

Of course with Orochi Iori you can just do standing C, scumgale, walk up & repeat over & over as I mentioned some posts ago.

More on corner juggling though and keeping with Chinese players, I once saw someone in HK connect all this:

When opponent is jumping:
deadly flower x 2, deadly flower x 1, Yaotome. Orochi Yashiro was about at the height of his jump, and they have to be to connect all those hits, so don't try for too much if you catch them not that high off the ground with the deadly flower.

Another Ryo pattern for you:

@corner
One you knock them down, throw an A ko'ouken as they are getting up. If you hit it, repeat. If they block, do a B raijinsetsu (qcf+k), then a trip. This works best against Orochi and has led me to many a perfect victory vs him with Ryo. While the CPU might block the whole thing keep in mind you can cancel out of the sweep into say a raijingou (qcb+p) + kohou if your opponent starts getting funny ideas.

The "infinite" pattern I mentioned above is also fairly useful. Even if you suffer from the Haohshoukouken problem having 2 DM stocks can be very sufficient. Ex. jumping D, standing C, Tenchi Haohken = dizzy. So then jumping D, standing C, Renbuken, big jump + D, standing C, Haohshoukouken/Ryuuko Ranbu.

My main problem with Ryo remains the same as always: cancelling from the raijingou into BOTH hits of the kohou. I almost always hit only one and leave myself open for a nasty counter attack.

I am still busy boxing up peoples' games & things so will try to post more a bit later.

But to finish up with Benimaru first the only other bit of general strategy is to use lots of crouching B's since you can hit a few and cancel them into anything, raise Guard Crush points and so forth. If you play vs someone who launches lots of air attacks fly up to them and air throw. You can grab opponents out of air SDM's even.

If your combo is being blocked in close and you use something like a Shinkuu or a Super Inazuma kick (dp+k) which launches you back a bit and often causes an enemy to rush in afterwards always be ready to nail an intruding enemy with a Raikouken as soon as you land. You can bust that out at lightning speed (pun not intended) and save your hide fairly easily in the process.

His Iai Geri (qcf+k) often gets over-looked in this game but keep it in mind for a fast and, due to its limited use, often unexpected way of creating some distance between your opponent and you.

Be back later, nice post Takumaji!

KLSADAKO

Kuroko's Training Dummy
There's this easy method with Iori to beat evil Yashiro, at start of fight jump back then jump forward with D, Yas should block then cross up Yas, with iori's f+B, if Yas blocks do a standing B which Yas never blocks to f+A/QCB+Cx3/ repeat

Another thing with iori is that if you're fighting Terry, Andy or Billy, if you knock them down, walk right up to them and do a standing B, the three characters will never block it.

Another trick with Terry vs Clark, at start of round keep on doing jump C+D until Clark is in the corner. then jump A, Clark will block it, d+B, d+A, df+C, HCF+B, QCB+D, QCB+B/ Clark will be dizzy, then just run up D, df+C, QCB,f+C/100%
Remember it has to be QCB+D, then QCB+B/ not QCB+B, QCB+B, the double B only works on Billy Kane.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I tried to beat it. Jono got a play-by-play commentary of me trying this. And he can verify my highest score on KoF97 at Level 8 difficulty was 12500... :crying:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
KLSADAKO said:
There's this easy method with Iori to beat evil Yashiro, at start of fight jump back then jump forward with D, Yas should block then cross up Yas, with iori's f+B, if Yas blocks do a standing B which Yas never blocks to f+A/QCB+Cx3/ repeat

Even easier still is this:

Pick Iori first for the semi-finals. Orochi Chris & Shermie are complete pushovers. So you have your 3 DM stocks when you meet Yashiro.

Jump away and enter MAX mode. You can often hit him with a trip after a small/super jump+D. Either way, create some distance between you two and do his Yasakazuki SDM (qcb, hcf+P). Yashiro will block the first few but always get hit and paralyzed by the next few fountains. So then run in and hit him with whatever Yaotome SDM combo you can think of (ex. yuriori, C, scumgale, C, Yaotome). If you are clever enough to get Yashiro moved back to the corner first you can 100% him as described a couple posts up. Otherwise something as simple as the jumping->crouching D strategy actually works, and Yashiro is a sucker for Iori's prioritizing jumping D. Or do as you suggested which looks nicer and moves things along a bit quicker. I manage straight victories over the Orochi NFT with him almost always.

Interesting pattern with Terry there. True that his jumping CD is very abusable (so you know I use it a lot). Vs Clark it sounds like a variation on Terry's death combo:

@corner
Jumping D, standing C(2 hits), df+C, Power Charge+B, Crack Shoot+B, Rising Tackle+C = 14 hits, dizzy & 85% or 90% damage. For the Crack Shoot you must wait a moment for them to begin falling, not hit them at the height of launching them in order to connect the Tackle.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
While I have a few minutes, a few Terry strategies for more or less surefire perfects vs particular opponents:

vs Kyo
At the start of the round or just a moment later small jump up and hit D. Most of the time you can catch him with the kick, and push him away with a trip when you land as he always blocks it.
Throw lots of crouching B's and you will sucker him into jumping at you. Rising Tackle + C. Power Wave him as he is getting up, and repeat until dead. Time the PW to hit him early as he is regaining his footing.

vs Benimaru
As stated in some other post big jump away and C Burn Knuckle him. Big jump away and.... Once in a while he will block or do some other move that will have you unexpectedly hitting him with a crouching C so be ready to combo.

vs Terry
Same as Kyo but watch out when Terry jumps toward you from more than a couple character lenghts away as you will probably trade hits with CPU Terry's jumping CD in that case. Also don't forget he has a projectile so be ready to roll to preserve your perfect.

vs Andy
Standing B. Over & over & over again. Or if Andy rolls in, standing/crouching C, df+C, power charge->infinite him one way or the other.

vs Leona
Small/super jumping CD at her at the beginning of the round and trip when you land. Repeat until you knock her down (always happens by the 2nd go). Power Wave her as she is getting up. Two typical outcomes arise here. Either a)you corner her and can, NOT too hastily, power wave/rising tackle her to death (don't be too keen with the Tackle as she tends not to bust out moves ASAP once out of the block stance), or she will start to pull fancy moves like an Xcalibre, in which case just roll in, crouching C, power charge and that's the end of that.

vs Ralf
Small/super jumping CD at her at the beginning of the round and trip when you land. Repeat until you knock her down (always happens by the 2nd go). Power Wave him as he is getting up (knocks him back into the corner). From here just use a C power wave/C rising tackle pattern for an easy perfect. He ALWAYS tries some airborne attack after the Power Wave.

vs Athena
Small/super jumping CD at her at the beginning of the round and trip when you land. Power Wave her as she is getting up (knocks her back into the corner). And again just to corner her proper. From here just use a C power wave/C rising tackle pattern for an easy perfect. Although often you will not need to Tackle her as she stands up into almost every power wave thrown at her.

vs Chin
Big jump away so you have a full screen between you. A power wave. This will get Chin to do his .. well I don't know what it's called, but when he spins around and eventually flies toward you. The A Power Wave lures him into it, a C power wave knocks him away and allows you to repeat it. The trick is to throw the A Power Wave late into him getting up. If you throw it early he might start his motion earlier than you would expect in which case you will have to switch to lots of A power waves until you really knock him away again. He can approach you quite closely but just keep up with the A power waves and eventually he will be knocked away again. Finally finish up with an A Power Wave->Power Geyser DM/SDM if you want the extra few thousand points.

vs Chizuru
Back step at the start of the round and big jump away. C Burn Knuckle (counter hit), big jump away, repeat. Launch your next knuckle soon as you land or just a split second afterwards (so you do the motion while jumping). In general if you Burn Knuckle her too early she will wake up by uppercutting you. Too late and she can hit you with the .. crap I forget what it's called, but the version of her mirror image attack where she arches toward you instead of going straight on the ground. If the timing sounds tricky, it's not really. Try it out for yourself and you will understand it.

vs Choi
Well it almost always works. Small jump up with D. Trip him when you land, which he will or won't block. Either way Rising Tackle him with C when he approaches, which he does very quickly afterwards. Power Wave + C as he is getting up. He will dash toward you which allows you to counter Tackle him and repeat the pattern.

vs Yamazaki
With anyone more or less just get far away, dash roll in and combo. Infinite him if you can.

vs Orochi Shermie
C Burn Knuckle her when her fireball begins dying away. Or roll in & combo as she is quite the victim of said strategy.

vs Orochi Yashiro
Again that very useful standing B comes into play. Again and again and again. Or do a jumping D, standing C (2 hits), fwd+A (2 hits) and repeat. He will block everything of course. Before too long though you will Guard Crush him in which case you can combo him to death. He is also prone to Terry's jumping D which has great reach. If you hit him on the way up you can often land another blow when you land.

vs Orochi
Back step away, dash roll in and infinite the bugger. Game over you win straight & perfect on the boss even. Nice way to end on a good note.

Back to work now. Guess that was more than a minute or two..

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Check PMs NBM!

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Actually I was working on it and you have a reply as of a couple minutes ago. I start counting the # of pages dedicated to the game and then... that magazine is what it is: the end of hours at a time lost into the alluring photos and incomprehensible texts of everyone's favourite magazine.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Nice Terry strats there, work like a charm! :)

Btw. NBM, do you know who or what GENZ is? It's written on a banner in the background of USA stage and I always wondered what it could mean.

I'm getting better with Beni... after applying some of your strats I really started feeling sorry for my CPU opponents... badass!

Whiffed moves do it for me. It's really funny how you can force the CPU into doing stupid things with whiffed crouching moves. Yesterday I stormed through the first four team matches with Andy alone, a bit of crouching Bs into thin air, then either a hcf+K, or simply qcb+Ps, toast.

The only CPU opp. apart from Yama where most patterns become useless would be Billy I guess... his damn stick just has too good range, which is a problem for most setups unless your chara has a projectile.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Have you tried all those patterns we posted here? Some of them are not too hard to do and help you to score easy wins.