(A little off-topic but...) GP32??

CrdfightrsClash

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I saw the references to teh GP32 on the "Worst Handheld Ever" thread, and after doing some research, foudn that it looked kinda cool. ANyone here had any first hand experience with this thing? I heard it can emulate other systems... Is it worth importing?

thanks,

~cFc

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
CrdfightrsClash said:
I saw the references to teh GP32 on the "Worst Handheld Ever" thread, and after doing some research, foudn that it looked kinda cool. ANyone here had any first hand experience with this thing? I heard it can emulate other systems... Is it worth importing?

thanks,

~cFc

Unrelated

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Re: Re: Re: (A little off-topic but...) GP32??

Nesagwa said:

& Proud of it. Teaching retarded fucks where to post is always
fun. :glee:

Ahchay

Marked Wolf
To answer the original question...

Yeah, it's a great system. Emulation of PC Engine and most 8bit systems is nigh-on perfect - don't expect MAME though ;) "Official" stuff is a bit more hit and miss, but as a pocket sized emulation platform it really can't be faulted.

Oh, and get the front-lit version if you can.

Cheers
Chris

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Ahchay said:
To answer the original question...

Yeah, it's a great system. Emulation of PC Engine and most 8bit systems is nigh-on perfect - don't expect MAME though ;) "Official" stuff is a bit more hit and miss, but as a pocket sized emulation platform it really can't be faulted.

Oh, and get the front-lit version if you can.

Cheers
Chris

Liksang reported a new backlit version thats coming out in europe in a month or two also, so maybe wait for it? (for the english stuff)

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Two things:

1. I'm of the opinion that we may want to open up this forum to other portable systems. The NGPC has been dead more than 2 years and there isn't a lot of thrilling discussion on it at the moment. Increasing traffic in this forum by allowing other portable device discussion would help get more people in here to read and contribute to the group discussions. Also make GBA freaks aware of the NGPC and definitely help find new users. This may be a poll in the near future

2. The TG16/PCE emulation on the GP32 is damn good and I'm pretty impressed. The actual GP32 games are mostly teh sux. Also, DEFINITELY buy the lit version of it. The non-lit system is too dim even under direct light.

Ahchay

Marked Wolf
D-Lite said:
Two things:

1. I'm of the opinion that we may want to open up this forum to other portable systems. The NGPC has been dead more than 2 years and there isn't a lot of thrilling discussion on it at the moment. Increasing traffic in this forum by allowing other portable device discussion would help get more people in here to read and contribute to the group discussions. Also make GBA freaks aware of the NGPC and definitely help find new users. This may be a poll in the near future

Well, quite. I doubt if the odd bit of discussion about other handheld systems does any harm here (ISTR a thread about the worst handheld gaming system being quite interesting...) and, almost by definition, most people interested in the NGPC are also going to be interested in the Wonderswan and GP32 et al. We lose nothing by talking about them.

But I'm biased - I have an MVS hanging around somewhere (with two games!) but I only lurk in this bit of the forums...

Cheers
Chris

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Two things:

2. The TG16/PCE emulation on the GP32 is damn good and I'm pretty impressed. The actual GP32 games are mostly teh sux. Also, DEFINITELY buy the lit version of it. The non-lit system is too dim even under direct light.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I've been tempted by these for a while now [GP32's] and am a huge TG-16 fan...so hearing the PC Engine emulated stuff is bitchin' may just push me over the edge. How is the SNES emu speed on it out of curiosity? There's a beat-em-up made for it that looks damn cool as well. The title escapes me. I LOVE my NGPC, but I have damn near everything made for it, and can't think of anything to talk about in relation to it. I rarely come to this section, and the GP32 comment made me poke my head in. I think if the portables chatter got a bit more diverse I would definitely spend more time in here.

viva Atari LYNX!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hmm, sorry for making this more off-topic :emb: .

I'd like to see this forum expand into a handhelds forum. I love my NGPC but I mostly lurk this forum, but I'd love to talk Wonderswan in here for sure! The General Portables board that GameFAQs had 2 years ago was one of the only boards there worth going to. And then they went and closed it down :mad: .

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:

I'd like to see this forum expand into a handhelds forum. I love my NGPC but I mostly lurk this forum, but I'd love to talk Wonderswan in here for sure! The General Portables board that GameFAQs had 2 years ago was one of the only boards there worth going to. And then they went and closed it down :mad: .
Indeed, it is a good idea. I'd also like to talk about Zodiac a little bit too since I'm getting mine next week.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:

Tell me this, it seems a bit difficult to find a swancrystal. But, I am interested in that system, too. How many games are playable without knowing any Japanese?

Hildegarn326

Benimaru's Hairdresser
(It's Korean, not Japanese)
Pinball Dreams
Super Plusha
Tomak - Save the Earth Again
Kimchi-Men
GP Fight
Little Wizard
Her Knights
some others...

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Hildegarn326 said:
(It's Korean, not Japanese)
Pinball Dreams
Super Plusha
Tomak - Save the Earth Again
Kimchi-Men
GP Fight
Little Wizard
Her Knights
some others...

I was talking about the Wonderswan. Thanks for the list though, off to look at screenshots.

raypfaff

New Challenger
That I know of, there's about 10 or so games on the Wonderswan that are playable without knowing Japanese. I have "Blue Wing Bliz", a slot game (yeah, boring, I know), and a puzzle game that I forget the name of but is doable. I also have the Wondeborg which comes with English instructions and Final Fantasy II which is playable with a walk-through.
As to the GP32, I think it's a great little unit mainly due to all the developers out there. The only commercial products I own is Pinball Fantasies and GPCinema. I have the non-flu unit and I found the screen to be the best handheld screen out there; pretty much playable in any light condition other than night. There's also a neo-geo pocket emulator for it, but I recall that it's slow.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
D-Lite said:
Two things:

I'm all for it. It can only help expand this section of the Forums. And more importantly, inform us all of the other systems and accessories. :buttrock:

ZAO

n00b
OK...now you got me wanting GP32

Where can I find one and if I got one imported how much would be added to the cost?

I seen one at lik-sang for 209.00 but I have no ideal on shipping cost.

Last edited:

raypfaff

New Challenger
I've only dealt with LinkSang, but Play Asia and Shubya also sell them. I'm not sure if anyone in the US sells them other than Upstate Games and, believe me, avoid them at all costs. Not just my opinion, do a Google search on them and you'll see. Apparently it's a one man operation and he has nothing in stock, he just orders when you do while claiming it's in stock.

Huxley

Fu'un-Ken Master
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but can anyone point me in the direction of an on-line store that stocks the GP32? Except for lik-sang and play asia (who seem to be no longer selling the hardware)...

Also, any news on the Euro release of the GP32? I keep hearing conflicting rumours :spock:

EDIT: did a little more research and lik-sang is really the best place to buy a new GP32 from the UK. There's gbax.com who also sell them, but the added VAT brings the price up.

The Euro launch does look to go ahead as planned, but the basic unit price of around 169€ is more than you'd pay over at lik-sang. Have any UK members had any experience buying GP32s from lik-sang? I wouldn't want to get bitten by customs again...:crying:

Last edited:

Ahchay

Marked Wolf
Huxley said:
EDIT: did a little more research and lik-sang is really the best place to buy a new GP32 from the UK. There's gbax.com who also sell them, but the added VAT brings the price up.

The Euro launch does look to go ahead as planned, but the basic unit price of around 169€ is more than you'd pay over at lik-sang. Have any UK members had any experience buying GP32s from lik-sang? I wouldn't want to get bitten by customs again...:crying:
I got mine from GBAX - may not have been the cheapest option, but it was very quick, Craig was really helpful and - the clincher for me - there was no chance of being stung with a £30 customs bill... Generally, with most of the hong kong importers, I've had okay results with customs - I think I've been stung once or twice (my NGPC Flash Linker came with a £20 customs charge). So, you'd probably get away with it...

As mentioned previously - get the front-lit version if you can justify the extra cash, don't bother with any of the commercial games (well, maybe Pinball Dreams) and flash one of the BIOS replacements (I like Windups) as the default interface is extremely clunky if you only want to run "free" apps.

Cheers
Chris

Huxley

Fu'un-Ken Master
Ahchay said:
As mentioned previously - get the front-lit version if you can justify the extra cash, don't bother with any of the commercial games (well, maybe Pinball Dreams) and flash one of the BIOS replacements (I like Windups) as the default interface is extremely clunky if you only want to run "free" apps.

Cheers
Chris

Cheers for the info, I'll have to carefully weigh up my options before deciding.

I was mostly wanting to run the GP32 as an emulator/Mp3 player, so it seems ideal for my needs. Plus the whole open source thing should mean this won't die an ugly death for a good few years yet, even if they stop making the commercial games. Although some of those Korean language games do look rather neat...here's hoping for a Euro release w/English language games!

The Mole

Crazed MVS Addict
Hey sorry to bump such an old topic but i moved from the NGPC to the GP32 and have never looked back.

Currently the major thing is Gigadrive a very good mega drive emu thats got a very high compatability rating (works with most games).

The GP32 has a lot of great puzzle games

Numo
Perfect Fit
Electronia
Puzzle Mix
GP32 games RU

to name but 5 and the last two are loads of diffrent puzzle games in one program.

I would strongly reccomend checking out www.gp32x.com message boards.

Also a lot of the stuff thats on Zodiac you have to pay for where as a similar think or sometimes even the same thing is free.

The console is worth the asking price for the emus alone

we currently have

Gameboy/colour fully working
GBA about 20% but thats only been in the pipeline for a month or so
Mega Drive at about 80% most games work fully without sound
SNES 80% about 50% of games work with sound
PC Engine 95% Just needs save states and is perfect
C64, Atari, Spectrum i have not tried out but understand they are 100%
Mame has some early games working dont know how good it is.

and most likely some stuff i have forgotten about.

The system also has some very good quality home brew stuff

Beats Of Rage
King Of Fighters
Bokatoid

its a great little hand held

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I liked my GP32 for a little while, but it's not the FLU type, so the screen sucks big time. Also, I'm a big PCE/TG guy so I like the TG emu, but it still suffers a bit on the system.

Any word on future releases for this console? Game library or new hardware? Or are they just going to succumb to the Zodiac, PSP, and DS?