Suomalainen thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Just plugged in my newly modded AES this morning.... garbage :crying:

On closer inspection, it seems there is a broken trace on the board running from one of the pins, this might have occured when cutting the pins of the chips perhaps... I will see if I can get my friend with the multi-meter to come by and check this suspicion.

Raz, can you me how to test the pins of the socket with a mm, which pins SHOULD be dead... etc.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Morning, I'm still half asleep so some of this may not make sence.

Hi, ok do you know how the pin numbering works on the chip? Basically if you got the board in front of you face up with no unibios in the socket, the bottom line in the socket is pin 1 to 20 (from left to right) and the top line is 21 to 40 (from right to left).

Quick tests to do are as follows, put both ends of the multimeter in adjecent socket holes (like 1 and 2) and make sure its not giving a max reading (as if both pins are making contact) do this for all pins (1,2 then 2,3 then 3,4 and so on). The only 2 pins that should give bigger readings should be pin 30 and 40. Its very likley that pin 38 will give no reading, this is ok as the pin is not used.

The next test is to put one end of the multimeter into socket hole 40 and then in turn put the other end through all the other holes in turn. Basically all should show some small reading apart from pin 10 and 30 which will be a greater reading than the others. Pin 38 that will probably give no reading.

Other thing to check is that the chip is in the correct way around, the small half cut circle should be on the left side as you look at the pcd the correct way around.

If I remember right the pin that was funny initially was either pin 7,8 or 9. These may be a good place to start.

Raz

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
I haven't tested yet, but lets assume that the socket is okay as was tested last night, I believe the problem is related to the traces leading away from the pins... apart from the one trace that looks broken, I see what might be some solder form one pin that seems to be connecting to lines it shouldn't.

How can I know which lines and points to test leading away from the bios?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Actually testing the socket as I suggested will check the lines leading away from the socket as long as you dont have the chip in. I did test all the lines last nite and there were no broken traces or connected pins that I can remember. Can you take a close up of the socket/solderside with your digicam and email it to me at razoola@netti.fi

Im going to visit the chat forum here also now as it may be earier to talk about this there or maybe in MSN?

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
RockstarRunner said:
My Neo is back from the dead folks, and better than ever!

Yup, I am very happy about this. Its just a pity we couldent test it at the meet because of no power supply.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Finn, the reason why the credit counter are missing in AES mode on Mslug5 is because you have them turned off in the games soft dips. As to the sound and freeze problem, this must be to do with the way the cart is inserted as nothing has changed in the bios that could have changed this. I advise giving the games connector a real good clean, you could do all the 6 slots at the same time also.

As for ssvs I'm happy the sound is now ok :)

Raz

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Razoola said:
Finn, the reason why the credit counter are missing in AES mode on Mslug5 is because you have them turned off in the games soft dips. As to the sound and freeze problem, this must be to do with the way the cart is inserted as nothing has changed in the bios that could have changed this. I advise giving the games connector a real good clean, you could do all the 6 slots at the same time also.

Is Metal Slug 5 different to all other games? Because I have turned all games' counters off, but they do appear in AES mode. Only MS5 is missing them.

I'm not saying the MS5 freeze has anything to do with the UniBIOS. I tried cleaning the cart with a Q-tip but it didn't help. Maybe I should get some stuff to spary on the connectors. What was it called again? And what is it in finnish?

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
finngamer said:
Is Metal Slug 5 different to all other games? Because I have turned all games' counters off, but they do appear in AES mode. Only MS5 is missing them.

I'm not saying the MS5 freeze has anything to do with the UniBIOS. I tried cleaning the cart with a Q-tip but it didn't help. Maybe I should get some stuff to spary on the connectors. What was it called again? And what is it in finnish?

I think the cleaning stuff should contain isopropyl alcohol to be effective.

Suomeksi taitaa olla isopropanoli tai jotain..

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thats strange because I'm trying them here (in emulation) and I get the same result in metal slug 4 and metal slug 2. In both cases having the softdip credit counter off causes the credit counter not to show in console mode. To me this makes perfect sence as games wernt designed to have seperate settings for MVS and AES on MVS hardware. Basically softdips affect console mode, I suspect its the multislot in console mode causing it to happen. Is Mslug 5 the game that boots first when in console mode?

Raz

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Razoola said:
Thats strange because I'm trying them here (in emulation) and I get the same result in metal slug 4 and metal slug 2. In both cases having the softdip credit counter off causes the credit counter not to show in console mode. To me this makes perfect sence as games wernt designed to have seperate settings for MVS and AES on MVS hardware. Basically softdips affect console mode, I suspect its the multislot in console mode causing it to happen. Is Mslug 5 the game that boots first when in console mode?

Raz

Yeah, you were right. It's about the soft dips. But here's another strange phenomenon: I've set all my games to NOT show the credits AND the level. But while MS5 shows neither (like it's supposed to), all my other games display the credits. But no game has it's difficulty level displayed.

I really need to get my AES cleaned. I've yet to see the full intro of SSVS. :crying: It always freezes at the same spot.

The name of the spray was "electric..." something. ("sähkö...")

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
finngamer said:
Yeah, you were right. It's about the soft dips. But here's another strange phenomenon: I've set all my games to NOT show the credits AND the level. But while MS5 shows neither (like it's supposed to), all my other games display the credits. But no game has it's difficulty level displayed.

I really need to get my AES cleaned. I've yet to see the full intro of SSVS. :crying: It always freezes at the same spot.

The name of the spray was "electric..." something. ("sähkö...")

That is strange I can't get the credits to show here like you are experiancing. Maybe you should try clearing the backupram from the test mode hardware test and set everything up again an see if its still happening.

I know I can change operation of the bios so that when your in console mode on MVS hardware the softdips would be totally ignored but I'm not sure if I should change operation so it happens like that. It would be more like what happens on original AES hardware I sopose but It ma mean you loose your softdip settings in MVS mode. I think Im going to do a poll on this in the general discussion forum and see what the general opinion is.

Raz

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
What have I been putting the UniBios thorugh it's paces with?

Fatal Fury Special of course ;) :buttrock:

Just can't get enough old school Fatal Fury!

*edit*
except for Fatal Fury 1, that game was ejected from Satans arse hole
*edit*

*edit again*
and perhaps Fatal Fury 2, 'cause FFS rendered it obsolete
*edit again*

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
YAY!

Neo Turf Masters, KoF 2002 and Last Blade 2 for my MVS will ship on monday.

Now my cab will be put to better use on the next meet, instead of housing 5 Metal Slugs and decade old KoF's and SamSho's. :D

Viaton, you just chime in when you're back from Athens. So we can start planning the next meet. By our scheduling, we could propably have one in 3 months. :oh_no: :glee:

And maybe this time poor Raz gets to play too. I felt terrible when you were doing the work for the three of us. :crying:

Though it doesn't have to be at my place, if you don't want to. But Toni lives with his folks (right?) and Rob has a wife and child. PLUS I have the hardware here. And I'm happy to host since I don't have to move my ass from here :D . But if someone wants to change the place, it's cool.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
No problem, I diddent mind doing the work, it gave me some good experiance. I'm all up for the next one also. If Viaton wants a socket fitted to his AES I'm up for doing that also, I'll just make sure I bring a MM this this also and be sure Viaton brings his AES psu :)

As to starting to think about when to have the next meet the more forwarning I have the more chance I can plan things to make it. another good bonus is I wont need a map this time, I'm sure I can remember where your home is?

Raz

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Razoola said:
No problem, I diddent mind doing the work, it gave me some good experiance. I'm all up for the next one also. If Viaton wants a socket fitted to his AES I'm up for doing that also, I'll just make sure I bring a MM this this also and be sure Viaton brings his AES psu :)

He doesn't have an AES. I bought it from him.

But he does have an MVS cab. Or did you have two already, Pete? Are your BIOS socketed?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Finn can you test a couple of things again on your 6SLOT for me. First is going back to this credit counter problem. Can you confirm the problem only happens in console mode and not MVS mode? What I mean is that the credit counters appear when they should. Can you test that other soft dips look to be working ok.

Also another thing I would like tested relates to the coin LED you have. If you go into Euro and Japan region (mode arcade) can you confirm the LED works correctly when inserting coing in both slots? Then can you go into USA mode and tell me if the LEB only shows coins inserted in the first slot and not the second slot?

Raz

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Razoola said:
Finn can you test a couple of things again on your 6SLOT for me. First is going back to this credit counter problem. Can you confirm the problem only happens in console mode and not MVS mode? What I mean is that the credit counters appear when they should. Can you test that other soft dips look to be working ok.

Also another thing I would like tested relates to the coin LED you have. If you go into Euro and Japan region (mode arcade) can you confirm the LED works correctly when inserting coing in both slots? Then can you go into USA mode and tell me if the LEB only shows coins inserted in the first slot and not the second slot?

Raz

In MVS mode, the credits and difficulty level are gone. Just like I like them to be.

By LED, you mean the digit-counter below the screen? But my coin slot is out of commission. If I want credits, all I can do is push the Service button, which adds one credit in every region.

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Sorry this took so long to post:

Neo-Finlando.jpg

RockstarRunner, Finngamer, Razoola, Tony_N

There are some other pics down the bottom of the NeoGeo page I have on my website....

http://rob.sanet.fi/newhome/candc/neogeo.htm

(please note, the layout looks weird in it's own page, 'cause it's part of a frameset...)

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
cool, I totally forgot about this picture.

Raz

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
yeah :) but I wish I had taken a picture of the three AES's together, 'cause you don't see that very often...

*edit* hehe i see a lot of people who must have come here to see their new god Raz (third from left) :buttrock: *edit*

Last edited:

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Thanks for posting the pic. It was fun.

But like I said, since Raz was working the whole time and the owners' of the AESs' under work were terrified, I'd say we still haven't had a real, proper, full-blown Neo-meet. Is everyone interested in the next one, or should we take a break?

I know I'm GO, and Pete (viaton) should be psyched too.

But what date? We propably should go straight to October, eh? Does anyone know what friday/saturday they CAN'T attend?

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
finngamer said:
YAY!

Neo Turf Masters, KoF 2002 and Last Blade 2 for my MVS will ship on monday.

They're here... :cool:

Goddamn Last Blade 2 is a work of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.