neo geo .vs. sega saturn

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Silent Scope... ch-ch-ch-check it out! :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1227033943

I *think* WHP was the first fighter from the Neo series to be released onto the Saturn, if not first, then definitely in the top 3.

It doesn't require a ram cart at all and get this... it loads in 3 seconds!!!!!

Just goes to show you WHP, while a kick ass game, could have been more and should have been more. Oh well....
biggrin.gif

S

Silent_Scope

WWWWWwwwwwwwooooooooooooooo--------------
How come I've never heard of WHP on Saturn? Maybe I don't have enough info..........I'm surprise.......really.

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope
"You have to defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
rrrrgh... silent, you're really making me mad... SNES is inferior to NeoGeo in every way possible. Shit gfx, shit games, shit everything. I hate SNES. NES is 10x better. If i had a Saturn, i'd be all for it, but i don't have it. I seriously don't give two shits about how SNES could POSSIBLY be better than Neo Geo, even though it isn't, and also, if PS can do so many more colors, why is the KOF 99 PS port so watered down? PS 2D sux besides Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Neo forever, SNES SUCKS!

------------------
-=NeoGML=-
31436715.jpg

Ukyo

20 Year Member
SNES has beautiful, colorful, graphics...a real distinct look. I mean, besides the Neo...Im Sega's bitch, so early on I was playing Streets of Rage as opose to all of Square's SNES titles. I eventually got around to playing those too but...I have always had a thing for the darker graphics of Neo, Genesis, and Duo.

------------------
fetch.dll

Don't plague the gaming market :)

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Genesis graphics (when done right) had a certain style to them. Something that was very special to me.

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah...I kinda prefer Genesis graphics to Snes. Snes colors look...different and their kinda fuzzy cuz of low rez. I like the darker graphics of Genesis.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
has anyone else seen the absolutley incredible job that the saturn makes of 2d fighters. for example marvel .vs. capcom, x-men .vs. streetfighter, vampire saviour. my question is do ye reckon that the neo could handle something like marvel .vs. capcom ?

The Saturn could do more sprites than the Neo Geo however, Neo Geo games contain more animation that needs to be cut on the system unless an expansion cart is used.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
The Saturn could do more sprites than the Neo Geo however, Neo Geo games contain more animation that needs to be cut on the system unless an expansion cart is used.

I’ve been waiting 17 years for this information. Thank you.

Leback

Stakes Winner
It's hard to compare versions of Marvel vs Capcom since it was only released for the DC. But it looks incredible on a CRT with RGB, haven't noticed any weird stretching or artifacts at all. Arcade perfect I would say.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
older than BossKnight, older than Evan who has Bob from the children's show VeggieTales as an avatar, and older than that other child MCsomething who apparently only plays Centipede and has Tux the Penguin as an avatar

this place definitely isn't swarming with undercover cops by the way

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
No I'm pretty sure the Neo Geo could not handle Xmen vs. Street fighter. The Saturn had the power to do any Neo Geo game perfectl but SNK didnt want to put a huge amount of efforts into the ports, and hey they still turned out prety good.

------------------
mendou.jpg

-Shuuchan
It was only the sixth generation systems (like PS2, X-box, Dreamcast) that could do perfect ports of Neo Geo games. The fifth generation 32-bit CD systems like PS1, Saturn, could do decent ports, but not perfect, and with longer load times than PS2. Which system was X-men vs. Street Fighter on- the CPS2?
The Neo Geo and the Saturn were both parallel processing systems, but most games on Saturn didn't take advantage of the extra CPU. The 2D graphics on the Saturn were slightly better than PS1.

Last edited:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
It was only the sixth generation systems (like PS2, X-box, Dreamcast) that could do perfect ports of Neo Geo games. The fifth generation 32-bit CD systems like PS1, Saturn, could do decent ports, but not perfect, and with longer load times than PS2. Which system was X-men vs. Street Fighter on- the CPS2?
The Neo Geo and the Saturn were both parallel processing systems, but most games on Saturn didn't take advantage of the extra CPU. The 2D graphics on the Saturn were slightly better than PS1.

I would not classify the Neo Geo as a parallel processing system. The Z80 was there for sound and input processing. It's not like game code executed both on the 68k and Z80 with shared memory. Was the genesis also a parallel processing system? It also used a 68k and a Z80. No.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Look at the post date when Shuuchan posted that, ya dingus

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
two of my favourite consoles. wouldn't know which one to pick.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Two very different platforms, decide *why* you like one or the other...

For me:
Saturn has the broader fascinating library for sure, and features that make it technically better in many respects - it's a wonderful, more dynamic, curiosity machine.

... but... the near impeccable job that the neo geo did within it's smaller play pen just makes it the winner imho - it's a muscle car, just doing what it does best.