neo geo .vs. sega saturn

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
has anyone else seen the absolutley incredible job that the saturn makes of 2d fighters. for example marvel .vs. capcom, x-men .vs. streetfighter, vampire saviour. my question is do ye reckon that the neo could handle something like marvel .vs. capcom ?

There wasn't Marvel vs Capcom, but there was Marvel Super Heroes vs Streetfighter on the Saturn. Did ya ever see Metal Slug on Saturn? I think it looks much better on Neo-Geo...
Wolverine.Snikt.gif

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
No I'm pretty sure the Neo Geo could not handle Xmen vs. Street fighter. The Saturn had the power to do any Neo Geo game perfectl but SNK didnt want to put a huge amount of efforts into the ports, and hey they still turned out prety good.

------------------
mendou.jpg

-Shuuchan

dragynchylde

Cheng's Errand Boy
My saturn is the highlight of my collection. I activly avoid 2d games for the playstation(except castlevania). For me neo and saturn are my only remaining bastions of 2d goodness. long live the undead systems!

S

Silent_Scope

I have my doubt that Neo can handle the "big mess" of Xmen vs Street fighter-type game.
It's possible (KOF series) but not sure.

Maybe Pacman vs Pong will work on Neo

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope
"You have to defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The Neo Geo can handle anything!
smile.gif

There was a time when people said 'GIGA POWER' was not possible!
-BB

I agree with Big Bear. The Neo could handle it. You may not be able to do the same backgrounds and you would have to step down the graphics slightly but that is it. The Neo could handle it.

S

Silent_Scope

Then why doesn't SNK try to create vs. series just like Capcom?
step down the graphics slightly? Sounds like Sega CD vs. SNES in Mode 7.......

Neo does show its age and limitation. Graphic rotation, scaling, and zoom are choppy comparing to SNES. If people try to compare Neo to Saturn or PS, just make me laugh.

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
Well of course it could handel the basic gameplay, but I think the graphics are what were talking about.

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
True Silent Scope. The Neo is inferior 2d wise to even the PlayStation in some ways, less colors and no transparencies, even tho it can handle better animations than PSX. The Saturn is in every way 3d and 2d more powerful than the Neo Geo.

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
Saturn VS Neo Geo(capcoms newest game..)
Saturn/Neo geo
CPU: 32bit 28.6MHz / 16bit 12.5MHz
32bit 28.6MHz / 8bit 3.58MHz
RAM: 2megabytes / 64kilobytes
VRAM:1.54Megabytes / 68kilobytes
soundram:512Kbytes / ??
soundchannels:40 / 15
colors:16.77millon / 4,096(65,000)
backgrounds:5 / 3
storage capcity:650Mbytes/ 88.5Mbytes

well you get the idea.

------------------
mendou.jpg

-Shuuchan

[This message has been edited by Shuuchan (edited April 03, 2001).]

D

DigiPunk

Spex don't matter.

Its how they are USED that matter.

------------------
f-NEO-KOF2000.gif

Respect your Elders - Play 2D.

S

Silent_Scope

If hardware reaches its limitation, not even a group of top programmers can do anything about it. Just like you want Namco and Squaresoft top programmers to program Final Fantasy X on NES machine.........or SNES maybe.

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
Its true its how their used but if a game like Xmen vs Street fighter maxed out the Saturn than the Neo Geo simply couldnt do it.

Specs do in fact matter my friend, their not the end all be all of authorities on grfx but theyll give you an idea of capability

check out these spec
1.79MHz
2K RAM
16 colors

Now can this system do sreally good grfx, no it cannot its cuz its the NES.

[This message has been edited by Shuuchan (edited April 03, 2001).]

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
you missed a lot in your specs first off the neo has a much higher memory capacity than you have listed...

the neo is capable of handling giga carts
plus the neo hardly needs any memory because of the fast roms it uses compared to the superslow 2x CD the saturn loads at a snails pace. The reason why the saturn has to have so much memory is so it can keep stuff loaded in memory without having to pause to load stuff.

Also some of the last fighting games on the saturn required an additional ram cart because the built in ram wasn't enough to keep everything loaded in memory

[This message has been edited by jbeedham (edited April 03, 2001).]

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
The Saturn is my favorite gaming system..... maybe of all time. It's the first real system that I officially own (the others in past have always been my brother's)

Saturn has kick ass Neo fighters and Capcom fighters.

So far I have near perfect converisons of the following fighters:

1. World Heroes Perfect (AWESOME!)
2. Fighter's History Dynamite (Totally old school feel)
3. Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (mmm)
4. Night Warriors (just like the arcade)

And on its way soon to me will be:

5. Street Fighter Zero 3 (Hell yeah, and no need to activate Guile!
biggrin.gif
)
6. MSH vs. Street Fighter (Sweeeeeet!)
7. Fighters' Megamix (Heard it's "tha bomb")
8. King of Fighters '97 (Finally......)
9. Waku Waku 7

What a sweet ass system.

Amazing how much people thrash the Saturn.... but really..... the system is a 2D fighting fan's xtc........

Long live the Sega Saturn!!!

------------------
"Good Night, Fuuma... Boodayakann!" -Hanzou

S

Silent_Scope

World hero Perfect on Saturn? You are kidding right? I've never seen it before.
Only World Hero game appears on other platform is World Hero 2 on Duo

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Its true its how their used but if a game like Xmen vs Street fighter maxed out the Saturn than the Neo Geo simply couldnt do it.
----------------------------------------

The saturn may be later technology, but if its so much better than why could it not do perfect ports of the Samuai Shodown & KOF series? They play ok on it, but it bogs down during specials & combos, where the neo flies.
I see really no reason in having a saturn to play fighters. The Neo did SNK games better, and the Dreamcast did the Capcom/streefighter better.

Now Shooters, IMO thats where the saturn rocks the house. It & the Duo are two very cool consoles to have.

------------------

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
neo to saturn ports are bad only because they are ports. if they were originally designed for the system then they would be much better.

and personally, if i had to choose between the saturn version and the dc version of sfz3, or marvel vs. sf/ marvel vs. capcom, id pick the saturn ones. i think they look much better than the dc ones. the dc ones seem to run at some weird resolution that make them taller, skinnier, and jaggier.

just my $0.02

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
and personally, if i had to choose between the saturn version and the dc version of sfz3, or marvel vs. sf/ marvel vs. capcom, id pick the saturn ones. i think they look much better than the dc ones. the dc ones seem to run at some weird resolution that make them taller, skinnier, and jaggier.
---------------------------------------

Really? I had not noticed, but then I gave my saturn to my brother so ive never compared the two side by side. I felt the Capocom VS games were excellent ports on Dreamcast. I didnt have any res problem that I noticed. Im using the s-video connection.
Does that make a difference? I did notice the SFZero3 characters seemed a little taller, but They seemed perfect in SF3doublestrike.

------------------

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
Silent Scope wrote: Neo does show its age and limitation. Graphic rotation, scaling, and zoom are choppy comparing to SNES. If people try to compare Neo to Saturn or PS, just make me laugh.

Yeah, YEAH, Ive got three words for you pal, and U too, Shuchaan.

Metal slug 3

You reckon the Saturn could handle that,huh, what a joke.The saturn had the cream of 2d programmers from all the different companies making games for it, while the neo only has sub divisions within SNK, yet there are far greater examples of the 2d genre on Neo, Shocktroopers, Magician lord,Pulstar,etc.
Here in the UK,back in 98, Sega Saturn magazine called Metal slug 2 "the pinnacle of 2D programming and SNK's finest hour"

Silent scope, U makin me laugh,I mean Saturn graphic rotation and scaling was so great, that it couldnt even do a perfect conversion of a 10 year old Sega coin up in "outrun" hahahaHAH

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
jbeedham, I put 88 megabytes just because thats about the size of the largest Neo cart ever to my knwoledge Metal Slug 3.

The only reason it sometimes couldnt do perfect ports of Neo games was because they were sloppy ports. The Saturn did many perfect CPS-2 ports like Street Fighter Alpha2 and Xmen without a Ram cart.

And yeah some later Saturn games used the ram cart but that only means it would have been harder for the Neo to handle games like that.

You say saturn had better 2d programmers than Neo. How?? SNK had been doing 2D on the Neo Geo for half a decade by the time the Saturn even came out and SNK put almost al their resources. The Saturn ports were an afterthought so SNK only put as much effort as they had to. If you took SNK programmers gave them an ample amount of time they could probably do a perfect Metal Slug 3 port, besides the real question was could the Neo do Xmen vs. Street fighter. Any evidence that it can??

If an effort isnt put into a port it can turn out bad now matter what the hardware. Look at the early SNK to PSX ports. It wasnt cuz the PSX couldnt do better Metal Slug X proves it could have.

How bout VF3 on DC. It looks better on the Model 3 arcade did u know that? Your gonna tell me know that the Model 3 is more powerful than Dreamcast?

[This message has been edited by Shuuchan (edited April 04, 2001).]

S

Silent_Scope

Sega has more experience programmers from other companies. Saturn can't do a 10 years old arcade perfect "outrun". If you play "Sega Ages" then you'll see outrun is arcade perfect.
Remember that SNK ported their own titles to Saturn or PS platform, not by Sega. If they can do so good on Neo and f*cked up on Saturn then it's their problem.
Metal Slug 3 is indeed a good game (I haven't played it yet..but from I've played MSX then it must be good.....)but can it do some cool effects in Radient Silvergun? SNK and Capcom are the kings of 2D but Neo hardware is kinda outdated......really....
SNK can do alot better if they don't screw Neo64.....sigh....:<

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope

dragynchylde

Cheng's Errand Boy
The only area that the saturn is inferior to the neo geo is that it could not access the info on the disc as fast as the neo could through it's carts. The solution? Use the damn cartridge port! No friggen 4 meg expansion crap put the whole damn game on the cart and use the disc for music and sound fx. Oh well it would have been too expensive any way. Not that that stops any of us.

Hindsight is 20/20