Memory Card Faq

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I think this should be required reading. So I'll sticky it to the top.

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:53:07 EDT
Reply-To: neogeo@lists.dhp.com
To: neogeo@lists.dhp.com
Subject: [NG] NeoGeo memory card FAQ Rev 1.1

Gentlemen,

A post I can actually get into!
:)
Here are some interesting facts about the neogeo memory card:

The following 6 games DO NOT SAVE on the card:
Bust-a-Move Again
Neo Bomberman
Pop 'n Bounce
Shock Troopers
Shock Troopers 2
The Irritating Maze

These 2 games have a "multi-save" feature:
(allow you to actually store more then 1 position on the same card)
Puzzled -- actually lets you save 4 spots!
Savage Reign -- actually lets you save 3 spots!
Crossed Swords -- 2 spots!

The following games save "option" settings of the game:
(in addition to the games regular game level save)
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 3

Assorted Warnings:
(most of these lessons I learned the HARD way)

-- Riding Hero is NOT COMPATIBLE with "3rd party" memory cards!
(if you try to save it on one, it will DELETE ALL YOUR DATA!)

-- NEVER use the memory card options from the menu of a modded
system with your card plugged in. It will DELETE ALL YOUR DATA!
(also never mess with the dip settings while the card is plugged in either)

--

Other Stuff:
The memory card was intended to be used by operators in
a "statistical" way by allowing operators to copy the MVS
bookeeping data on their machines onto the card for view
on their PC's. (this ability in conjunction with a jeida card
reader attached to their PC)

Some games save in japanese language ONLY.
It is 100% un-avoidable :(
Apparently the designers "forgot" or were "lazy" etc.
Here are SOME examples:
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury 3
The Last Blade

Baseball Stars Professional was the ONLY neogeo game
to have actually had a PASSWORD feature!
(it also saves on the memory card as well)

Karnov's Revenge saves with a minor "glitch" of "garbage"
in the upper right hand corner of it's entry.
It is un-removable :(

Other stuff too but...does anyone care?
:)
Billy

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
BBH said:

I don't know about the memory card, but there was an arcade here that had Over Top... what I thought was strange about it was that it would reset the 5 fastest overall times every day (as is always the case with ADK games), but the individual stage records were saved. Maybe the memory card only saves the individual stage times? (it's retarded not to save the best 5 times overall too, because you can only break records on certain stages with certain vehicles)

I have heard that Overtop does save the top times.

Sifl said:
In addition to EW's post: KotM had six saves, one for each monster

Curt

apostate
glad to see this post stickied.... told me some things I did not know about my memory card

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The Neo Geo CD builtin memory card works exactly the same way. All the things Chad Okada mentions apply for it as well, except for those 3rd-party memcard issues of course. Gowcaizer CD also offers to save a game in one of three spots, don't know if this is the same on cart.

It should be added that the builtin game save space of a NGCD clears itself after two weeks because the (rechargeable) memcard buffer battery will be empty by then. If you have locked away your NGCD but don't want to lose the save states, it's recommended to switch it on and let it run for about 10 mins. a week to recharge the battery.

Oh, and save states of Stakes Winner CD need up to 80% of the available space due to the horse breeding feature of this version. I'm not sure, but AFAIK you also have to format the save space before you can save SW games on it - if only the game would be worth it... :)

silverslug

Fist Fucking Moron
I really wish the mvs units that neo store sells had memory card compatability.:oh_no:
And my ss2 cart didnt skip out sound on the second to last guy in the game today on level 4, especially since Ive never been that far before on such a high difficulty.:mad:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
All the things Chad Okada mentions apply for it as well,

thats not actually Chad, It's billy Pitt. He uses chads name in his email adress.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
ROTD does not save in MVS mode.

It's worth mentioning that NTM/BTG saves a lot of statistics (best finishes, average score, stuff like that). IMO that game makes the best use of the memory card.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
NOTE: Add Metal Slug 4 and Metal Slug 5 to the list of games that save "options" as well with the other Metal Slug games.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Games such as MSX and MS3 use separate spots.

1 for stages, 1 for options

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
The Neo Geo CD builtin memory card works exactly the same way. All the things Chad Okada mentions apply for it as well, except for those 3rd-party memcard issues of course. Gowcaizer CD also offers to save a game in one of three spots, don't know if this is the same on cart.

It should be added that the builtin game save space of a NGCD clears itself after two weeks because the (rechargeable) memcard buffer battery will be empty by then. If you have locked away your NGCD but don't want to lose the save states, it's recommended to switch it on and let it run for about 10 mins. a week to recharge the battery.

Oh, and save states of Stakes Winner CD need up to 80% of the available space due to the horse breeding feature of this version. I'm not sure, but AFAIK you also have to format the save space before you can save SW games on it - if only the game would be worth it... :)

Hmm, I got my ngcd sent to me by surface mail which takes 8 weeks and when it arrived the last owners saved games still remained on the unit

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Also am I the only person that keeps on seeing the title of the thread as "Memory Card Fag"

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
madmanjock said:
Hmm, I got my ngcd sent to me by surface mail which takes 8 weeks and when it arrived the last owners saved games still remained on the unit

Well, good for you, this means your NGCD unit still has a good backup battery which of course lasts longer than the two weeks the manual lists as suggested reloading cycle, but gradually, the battery will loose its power, that's why the manual suggestion does make sense.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
How many saves fit onto a normal memory card? Do different games have different save sizes?

Does anyone know how much space would take:

-Kof '98
-Last Blade
-Real Bout Special
-Garou: MOTW

Would these fit onto one card?

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
I need to get one of these so I can save my character use percents in KOF and for BBS and BTG.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
1) all those games will fit on , I believe its 27 that fit
2) kof ranking percentages? it doesnt save those, I'm sure.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Aw man, that sucks.

I think it saved on the Saturn version.

Damn.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
kernow said:
all those games will fit on , I believe its 27 that fit

One card has space for 27 games? Why have I heard so many complaints about the size of the cards?

NewOldSchool

Banned
anybody know the answer to silverslugs question?
Baseballstars 2 is not as fun without the memory card!!!!!!!

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Another game, Minasan no Okagesamadesu, saves both your position on the board and how much money you have. Very useful late in the game since even this has multiple "endings" based on your score.

Translation of the memory card management screen for those with JPN NGH systems:

metallizer said:
1. Card Format
2. Display Data
3. Copy Data
4. Delete Data
5. Username
6. End

Option 5 is just a username tag for your memory card.

So is it not good to leave your card in all the time? wouldn't it be hard on the pins if you were constantly removing and inserting it? I don't want to loose my saves, but I don't want to wear anything out either.

Lord of Magic

Overtop Pathfinder
Ok, I just bought a memory card. It arrived, and it has a marble effect on it. I used to own a Neo Geo back when it was first released and remember the card being plain black, ie no pattern.

The question is, are these memory cards newer, older, special or what? What time period were they released etc

Thanks

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
David Thompson said:
So is it not good to leave your card in all the time? wouldn't it be hard on the pins if you were constantly removing and inserting it? I don't want to loose my saves, but I don't want to wear anything out either.

you're being far too paranoid.. do what you like with it.

and other guy , yeah, they made some limited ones I think, blue marble, black, black marble, etc, theres loads... plain black being most common, I believe.

Its not good to leave your memory card inserted all the time, it kills the MC battery faster. It's the best to only plug it when the system is on.

Few games actually need the memory card anyway, its arcade games afterall.

Also, the more saves you have faster the battery will wear down.

Does anyone has a picture of all memory card models SNK produced? I would like it see it.