UK Pocket Reversi count: again.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
OK, it's been quite awhile since we last did this, but with all the new talk about Pocket Reversi UK lately and questions about rarity, let's revisit.

I still maintain that a complete UK Pocket Reversi is possibly the rarest NGPC game and it's hard to refute, despite the fact that some get listed on eBay. Remember that only 2 or so were listed for sale within the first 3 months of the Edge article and that's a decent indicator.

One comment I have, and god help me for being the first to suggest this, is that some of the new ones may be bootlegs. We haven't seen this yet in the NGPC world (well, except for multicarts), but why not? Most are coming from Hong Kong these days and that's where many boots originate. And if you think about it, wouldn't need to bootleg the cart. Just buy some cart only UK Pocket Reversi's for cheap, some of those dirt cheap Neo Derby complete carts for the clamshell case and pink and yellow inserts. Now all you need to do is copy the insert and manual and you're done. Hmmm, makes you wonder doesn't it.

But also is there an "Asian" release, just like other NGPC hard case game with English text? Would explain the current source too.

But first, let's kick off the UK PR complete count:

D-Lite = 1

next?

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's about 50-100 of these complete floating around. I think nigeronpa's estimate of "10" in the Edge article was a bit off, to say the least. But it's definitely a rare one complete.

nigeronpa, care to elaborate on the "misquote" in the Edge article?

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
D-Lite said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's about 50-100 of these complete floating around. I think nigeronpa's estimate of "10" in the Edge article was a bit off, to say the least. But it's definitely a rare one complete.

nigeronpa, care to elaborate on the "misquote" in the Edge article?

lol :)

if you guys believe that, you're crazy.

cheers :p

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
So Mr. Higgins, how many complete Reversi's do you think there are? What does your asian source tell you?

Any thoughts about bootlegs copies people?

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
ALOT more than 100.

Really, I don't think it's that rare.

But, like I said, that's my opinion.

Nigeronpa is harder to get than that game.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
c.t.h said:
ALOT more than 100.

Really, I don't think it's that rare.

But, like I said, that's my opinion.

What are those two games that bokmeow has been looking to get? I don't think I've ever seen them.

PESTILENT

Armored Scrum Object
As everybody has probably read, I have one too.
I'd say there are definitely more than 10 produced, just from the count on this forum.
As far as this game being bootlegged, I would think more would be popping up if this was the case, but then again what do I know.

Sweater Fish Deluxe

Marked Wolf
D-Lite said:
But also is there an "Asian" release, just like other NGPC hard case game with English text? Would explain the current source too.
Yes, of course there was an Asian release. Every game released in Europe was released in Hong Kong, too, in fact it seems that they were produced there and shipped to Europe. They also came out a few weeks--or even months in some cases--earlier there. And since reversi is actually a very popular game throughout Asia whereas most people in Europe have probably never heard of it, I would imagine that quite a few copies were sold in Hong Kong.

Fifty to 100 copies is really just as silly of a number as 10, to be honest. No game on *ANY* system sells that low, even the most obscure game on the Bit*Corp Gamate has well over 100 copies floating around. I'm sure there's more than 1000 copies of Pocket Reversi still complete in the world.

...word is bondage...

PESTILENT

Armored Scrum Object
Re: Re: UK Pocket Reversi count: again.

Sweater Fish Deluxe said:
Yes, of course there was an Asian release. Every game released in Europe was released in Hong Kong, too, in fact it seems that they were produced there and shipped to Europe. They also came out a few weeks--or even months in some cases--earlier there. And since reversi is actually a very popular game throughout Asia whereas most people in Europe have probably never heard of it, I would imagine that quite a few copies were sold in Hong Kong.

Fifty to 100 copies is really just as silly of a number as 10, to be honest. No game on *ANY* system sells that low, even the most obscure game on the Bit*Corp Gamate has well over 100 copies floating around. I'm sure there's more than 1000 copies of Pocket Reversi still complete in the world.

...word is bondage...

Well that would explain why I found one in an obscure shop in Taiwan. Looks like I'll have to find some shops in Hong Kong on my next trip over there ;)

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I remember when right after its release Metal Slug said this would be a really hard to find game... and he was right. BTW, they still sell Nigeronpa in stores for ''reasonable'' price.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I did Falk good buddy...

supergoose79 said:
3?!? you even bought a 3rd one?

I was bored Falk my friend... So, I brought a set with it in... there were a few games in that set I wanted too...

I'm gonna get 10 Pocket Reversi's I think and call it quits...:D

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
you're nuts. :tickled:

seriously ... you got those games within a few months, so it doesn't seem to be THAT rare at all. i mean it almost seems to be harder to find a uk sonic.

btw, your collection pics are impressive. looks like you robbed a game shop back in the day. ;)

nigeronpa

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Lots of things which were said are worded different in the article, The "10" copies of Pocket reversi were works put in my mouth rather than words that came out of my mouth E.G. I was asked how many Pocket Reversi's i thought was made, I said "Not a clue i wouldn't even like to guess, Then it was put to me "1000's", Then "100'S", then "low as 50??", "Possibly as low as "10". Each time i answered possible but i would really like to guess, I just said that i knew at the time the existance of about 3, Which was mine, Metal slugs and 1 other guy on the Forum. But hey it's only a mag article, People got so Annoyed by it and wound up. Makes me laugh really looking back at it. I also loved the way that CEX put my Pocket reversi on there back counter as seen in the pic and loads of people on here phoned to see if they still had it :)

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
c.t.h said:

so true, i sold my copy on ebay for like $105 or so some time ago, pretty crappy game imo