Calling Saturn import gamers! Do you like Money Puzzle Exchanger... ?

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Then you'll like COIN PUZZLE MOUJIYA!

This here is a great little gem for the Saturn.
I know 3 people who own this game, and all 3 like it very much.

Make that 4 now. :)

CPM is 1996 Virgin/FPS puzzler that features coins -- yen.
The object is to match up yen, combine them and, ultimately, make a 1000 bill to make it disappear for good.

Those cats are variations of "Maneki Neko." They're those infamous cats with their paw raised... the "good fortune" creatures for our Asian friends. You might have seen them around at the local mall, an Asian restaurant, etc.

http://www.amy.hi-ho.ne.jp/~mono93/cat/english/what_e.html

There are 6 different coins:

1 (blue)
5 (yellow)
10 (red)
50 (green)
100 (magenta-ish)
500 (purple)

Just like Money Puzzle Exchanger. EXCEPT instead of Magical Drop style, it's Puyo Puyo style. Two coins drop at a time. Also, CPM won't cost you an arm and leg! Always a plus, right?

Form 5 blue ones to get 1 yellow one, as 1+1+1+1+1 = 5. And 5 is represented by yellow. Not only did you clear up some clutter but you have bigger money on your playing field now in a more accessible manner.
(you cannot add a blue yen [$1] to a green one [$50] and expect anything to happen as it is... however, convert the 1 to 5... then 10... then 50... it touchs and wham 100!)

Confused? Do not be. It's simple once you get the hang of it. And addicting.

Yellow + Yellow = 5+5 which equals 10. (you now have a single red coin, representing $10)

Got it? No? Here's some visuals for ya:

Moujiya_03.jpg

notice the yellow ($5)

Moujiya_04.jpg

now it's consolidated in one 10 yen (red)!

And so forth.

You also get a cat head icon that operates as the "clear all" on whichever yen you wish to drop it on. The thing I like about this is that as it descends, whichever block it currently targets, all respective blocks of that will light up... giving you eye-candy to contemplate where to drop the almighty clear-all icon.
Then again, when the game's speed picks up this is void and null.
:)

BTW, HOW you get a clear-all icon is NOT random. There's an empty cat body at the bottom of the screen, and as you score points it fills up. Once full it'll flash and your next icon is the clear-all.

Cool huh?
Yes, think of it like the power bars found early on in fighting games. (e.g. SSF II Turbo, Darkstalkers, World Heroes Perfect)

Most (if not all) puzzlers the clear-all thing is assigned randomly, whereas CPM awards advance players and punishes rookies.
There's also another cat icon... this one turns all coins of the same color into 500 yen! How convenient. Observe:

Moujiya_10.jpg

Let the transformation commence!

Moujiya_11.jpg

notice the cat grinning... he clearly gets some sick pleasure from this experience...

Moujiya_12.jpg

Transformed into 500 yen! Now you're ready to kick some serious CAT ASS!

There's a VS. CPU mode, a VS. mode and a "stand-alone" mode. I suggest starting on the standalone to get the kinks of gameplay.

Graphics is like any other puzzle game almost -- colorful and bright. Though CPM isn't quite as bright as say, Puzzle Fighter. Still gets the job done though.

Gameplay is, simply, fun and frenetic. Strategy is much involved, with careful planning and trying to nail off some huge combos. It's cool how, say for example you got four 100's and need one more 100 to make a 500 coin.
Your next dropped coins include a 5 and 50.

Rats right?

Not so fast.

Simply drop the 50 on the 100.

Next batch... say you get another 50. Drop the 50 on the previously placed 50 and you made a 100!

Now that 100 touches the four 100's and wah-lah! One 500 coin.

You can visualize the chain ability of this system as we speak, I bet. Well you can, can't you?
;)

This combining and consolidating feature of CPM is what makes it stand out from the crowd. Not to mention what makes it so fun and refreshing.

Music is typical puzzle affair. It can get annoying but it also can be kind of catchy and bob along to the gameplay. You know how it is.

No complains about the controls -- a critical must in puzzle games.

In the VS. modes, if you get chains you'll send over to the opponent's side some debris they must contend with. Typical stuff.

Moujiya_09.jpg

lower left, two 500's have just turned into a 1000 bill and disappeared. Our cat friend is so happy! But wait! Here come cat thieves to spoil the party

Chaining in this game feels great. Some puzzle games you chain and feel "Eh" but in CPM you do feel "cooooooool." So far I've hit several 4-chainers and even a few 5-chainers; it feels sweet lemme tell ya!

My only complaint is the VS. human mode. After one battle you're whisked away to the main screen. A la Saturn Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Unlike Saturn MKT however, the loading in CPM is quick as a cat (no pun intended!) and while a minor annoyance, isn't that major in the end.
Besides, you get a larger window of opportunity to taunt your friend or sibling after you win! (it's all about perspective!)

Oh yeah, the intro's pretty odd in that Japanese way.

CPM -- overall, is a nice little fun puzzle game worth having. For 10-15 bucks I can't see how you can go wrong. Really just a charming addition to the genre.

If you can't afford the Japanese Money Puzzle Exchanger MVS, "settling for this" isn't a bad 2nd option.

It's pretty uncommon but I'm sure a copy or 2 will pop up here and there.
I got mine from YAMATOKU (who else?) and take my word, CPM is a MUST for puzzle fans who own a Saturn capable of playing imports.

I hold this game somewhere in-between the Monster Sliders (average) and the Puzzle Fighters (my favorite) of the world. It easily gets an 8/10 and a stamp of recommendation from me.

Moujiya_13.jpg

Show me DA MONEY!

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Great post Steve. I will look into this game, I have a hard time finding games my wife likes, and this one might fit the bill.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
more pics

Moujiya_01.jpg

Moujiya_02.jpg

why can't my cat do that? Life's a bitch (wait, I don't have a cat...)

Moujiya_07.jpg

good puzzle gamers are unphased by this attack

Moujiya_14.jpg

Why do I suddenly have a strong urge to bust all my old Thundercat tapes? :p

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
Great post, thanks for the review and explanation. Looks like a fun game, I'll have to check this one out.

Q

qube

Ghost-Dog said:
Great post Steve. I will look into this game, I have a hard time finding games my wife likes, and this one might fit the bill.

Another great Saturn related post by Steve indeed! This post is so good I am currently looking for a copy of the game. Finally, another game my wife and I can play together. Thanks for your passion for the Saturn Steve, it makes me love it even more too :cool:

Q-

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Just wanted to correct something.

There is no "clear-all" thingie, per se. What it does do is take all the coins of that type to the next level. (WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL -- heh remember that? ANYWAYS...) So after you do all the hard work to fill up the cat's spirit, the cat head icon comes down next.

Say you drop it on a 1 (blue) then all the blues go to 5's (yellow)

You definitely want to drop it on whatever's touching each other most. That way you can get some easy chains and killer combos going.

Also, you're given 1 "extra life" icon. Hey, cats have 94 lives after all, right? Something like that.

Anyway, when you're playing friend or CPU and the cat thief icons are too much for you, press "C" and a cat head icon will come down. This will eliminate all junk blocks for you.

But of course, both the CPU and 2P has one in stock too!

I just beat CPM for the first time and am still learning all sorts of stuff about it. This is really one of the cooler "obscure" imports I've come across. On Saturn there's nothing else like this.

Man! The CPU is tough. You face a total of 9 cats (9 lives... ahh that's it!) and the final cat looks to me like a fusion of M. Bison and Karnov (in cat form of course) :p

Man, I started playing the game at 7:50 and when I beat it it was 9:10 to my surprise. The time flew by playing this game...
One battle took me 296 seconds!
(That's almost FIVE freaking minutes)

:buttrock:

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
Oh, sounds like a deffinit must have. :D
Money idol exchanger got a playstation release by the way.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
Yeah... I'll be buying this. :D

It does look exactly like MPE, only upside down! Which one came first, I wonder...?

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Nick Goracke said:
Yeah... I'll be buying this. :D

It does look exactly like MPE, only upside down! Which one came first, I wonder...?

CPM came out 12/20/96

MPE came out 1/17/97

So they were probably in production at the same time....

Yeah, it's like MPE but with a Tetris/Puyo Puyo style.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I will also be looking for this one now, thanks to your thread Steve. ;) I can always use another good puzzle game. :buttrock:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Ghost-Dog said:

Yes...

I bought the Money Puzzle Exchanger MVS version for my wife though I/we never could really understand what to do in the game..(I want to understand this games so bad,so i can explain it to her.)

If she sees me playing a puzzler and understanding it then she'll give it another try..(If she didn't like it or understand it like MPE)
Now it just sits on the shelf..

This might be a better option..as Ghost-Dog says"I have a hard time finding games my wife likes"

She likes Puzzle games and I hope she likes Pochi or I'm fkn going to die..:mad:

Thanks for the info Steve..

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
by the way, the arcade version is emulated by MAME too. *whistles*

Steve

The Wonder Years,
BBH said:
by the way, the arcade version is emulated by MAME too. *whistles*

Speaking of arcades, I just found out thru Google that Coin Puzzle Moujiya was an arcade in Japan...

<<
Original post date: 1997

MOUJIYA : This here is a puzzle game with a cute twist. Battle it out with cats. Thats right!, solve the tetris like puzzle with Yen coins (Japanese money) and watch your ninja cats steal money from each other. This game is so popular in Japan that the original game is still in the arcades even after two years!!!
>>

Oh yeah, it was released to Saturn in late 96, but the arcade actually came out in 1995... WAY before MPE... interesting.

Q

qube

Thanks for the recommendation Steve. I just recieved this in the mail today and it's alot of fun so far. I managed to pick up a copy for $12 bucks shipped, and it looks like it will be more than worth it :)

It is a little weird getting used to the foreign currency at first, making the chaining a bit harder than usual, but you can catch on pretty fast. I have trouble seeing the numbers and details on the coins, but that is probably because I'm currently running my Saturn through a RF Switch :( I can't find my av cord, as I think it got lost in my recent move.

If anyone wants to HBO and send me an AV cord I'll love you forever ;)

Thanks again for the heads up Steve!

Q-

Steve

The Wonder Years,
qube said:
Thanks for the recommendation Steve. I just recieved this in the mail today and it's alot of fun so far. I managed to pick up a copy for $12 bucks shipped, and it looks like it will be more than worth it :)

It is a little weird getting used to the foreign currency at first, making the chaining a bit harder than usual, but you can catch on pretty fast. I have trouble seeing the numbers and details on the coins, but that is probably because I'm currently running my Saturn through a RF Switch :( I can't find my av cord, as I think it got lost in my recent move.

If anyone wants to HBO and send me an AV cord I'll love you forever ;)

Thanks again for the heads up Steve!

Q-

Haha, no prob, Q. When I first saw this thread rise back from the ashes I was curious why -- then before I read your post I figured you were gonna tell me your thoughts on CPM.

Glad you found it to your liking. I agree, my Saturn is RF Switch too, 27 inch screen, so deciphering the denominations is a little tough, but the more you play the more it becomes 2nd nature. The game is great fast-paced fun, and it's like few other puzzlers... def. one of the Saturn's many obscure sleeper hits, and well worth it for any puzzle fan who gives it the time of day. :)

Q

qube

Well, after putting in a few more hours with CPM I managed to rail off a 7 hit chain! This is addicting and fun as hell! I can't wait for my TSS from Kid Aphex to get here. Puzzle gaming is teh roxorz :buttrock:

Q-

Steve

The Wonder Years,
qube said:
Well, after putting in a few more hours with CPM I managed to rail off a 7 hit chain! This is addicting and fun as hell! I can't wait for my TSS from Kid Aphex to get here. Puzzle gaming is teh roxorz :buttrock:

Q-

Ha yeah... them 7 chainers are friggin' sweet.

I like pressing the C button to help clear the mess too. It helps out a lot. I should boot this one up again....

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Dammit Steve, you're almost making me buy a Saturn...

LOTS of great 2D games I've never heard of, but shouldn't miss out on either it seems.

Thanks for the review.

slerch666

updyke,
I actually won this game in a lot with a couple other puzzle games, check it out. I have no idea what the other games are, and the only one I really wanted (as it's in the best condition I've seen on eBay in recent weeks) was the Hanagumi Taisen Columns. I'll play it and see what it's like, though I'm thinking I won't like it much (not because the game sucks, but because I suck at puzzle games)

Anyone have any idea wtf Daitoride or Shanghai Great Moments are? I think Shanghai is actually a Mahjong game...

qube- TSS is the shit! I don't know that it should REALLY be called a puzzle game, but great none the less. I actually have the DC version, though I've been thinking of trying to get the MVS cart...

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Yes...

I bought the Money Puzzle Exchanger MVS version for my wife though I/we never could really understand what to do in the game..(I want to understand this games so bad,so i can explain it to her.)

If she sees me playing a puzzler and understanding it then she'll give it another try..(If she didn't like it or understand it like MPE)
Now it just sits on the shelf..

This might be a better option..as Ghost-Dog says"I have a hard time finding games my wife likes"

She likes Puzzle games and I hope she likes Pochi or I'm fkn going to die..:mad:

Thanks for the info Steve..

hey Chris, I totally understand where you are coming from. My girl loves puzzle games! But if she can't get into it, she won't touch it. I introduced her to MD3 for the first time yesterday and SHE LOVES IT!!!!!!!!!

this one seems like a good choice as well...