All about shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Verbatum said:
So folks, what are your greatest Shooter achviements?

Me:

Beat Guwange with one-credit

Beat Winds of Thunder on Super without losing it

Giga Wing 2 without loosing a life

DoDonPachi, one credit

I have some more, but enough about me! Onto you folks...

I've already mentioned I'm the official world record holder on 1943. Other great achievments include going through all the levels of SideArms and UNSquadron on one credit and scoring 1 million on a factory-set Sinistar :D

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I've already mentioned I'm the official world record holder on 1943. Other great achievments include going through all the levels of SideArms and UNSquadron on one credit and scoring 1 million on a factory-set Sinistar

I bow to your skills dude. Especially a fellow AZian.
1943 is a regular MAME fave of mine....so good.

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Question about TATE:

Are there any other advantages for the full-screen vertical mode other than it filling the entire screen? Does it fuck up the graphics or ratios when it's compressed to fit a normal TV? I used to rotate my 20" all the time, but now that I have a brand new 27" I don't dare! I measured it and the 20" display TATE mode can practically fit within the 27" non-TATE mode....so I figured it would look exactly the same between the two...am I right?

I'm a compulsive perfectionist, I worry about these things :loco: :help:

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
AnechoicJinx said:
Question about TATE:

Are there any other advantages for the full-screen vertical mode other than it filling the entire screen? Does it fuck up the graphics or ratios when it's compressed to fit a normal TV? I used to rotate my 20" all the time, but now that I have a brand new 27" I don't dare! I measured it and the 20" display TATE mode can practically fit within the 27" non-TATE mode....so I figured it would look exactly the same between the two...am I right?

Tate gives you that real arcade feeling. Plus in games like Shikigami No shiro 2, it's much easier to see bullets and such while shoot'in the badies! I always do the flip with a TV I have made just for it! Turn off the lights, and it feels like an old downtown arcade!

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
AnechoicJinx said:
Question about TATE:

Yes, it does mess up the gfx with out TATE. Well at least with most of the 32 bit systems. DoDonPachi is one of the worst perpitratiors of this from my understaning.

Since you have the ability you should do a side by side comparison and you will see the difference.

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
Blazing Lazers TG-16
One of my all time faves!!
For an 8-bitter (3Meg?), that game was awesome. Had some really cool tunes as well.
I have the Sylphia CD (PCE game), but I don't like it. I've heard it's amazing and rare, but I just can't get into it.

Raiden series has always been good.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Btw, any fans of Shikagami No Shiro 2/Mobile Light Force 2?

And what would be a good monitor to buy for shooters?
for both vertical and horizontal shooters.

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
jingle bells jingle bells shooting all the way :)
i love parodius~ it s so funny and the music so great
my favourite is Sexy Parodius (japanese version), i own it on PSX and it is fantastic (no loading times or anything).
then it s IKARUGA, followed by coryoon

i can t give figures of the shooting games i ve played, it s just my favourite genre, just to give examples on my favourite systems

on nes i own games like Burai Fighter, Life Force Salamander, Star Force, 1943...

on pc engine & SuperCDROM2 coryoon, hana ta-ka daka ?, dragon saber, magical chase, Final Soldier, RType complete CD,
Star Parodia, Spriggan Mark 2

on sega CD: sol feace, sylpheed

on snes : super Aleste, Super EDF (yes, i do like it), UNSquaron, Parodius, Super RType, RType 3, Blazeon, Axelay and starfox

on psx : Darius Gaiden, RayStorm, GDarius, RType Delta, Sexy Parodius, Ray Crisis, Strikers 1945 II, cotton, einhander,thunderforce V

on PC: Tyrian, The REAP, GPolice, RayStorm (but playing the original PSX one on an emu looks better than it, despite it s Direct3D, PSX sony emulator syndrome, same as ray crisis and MGS)

on DC: sar gunner 2, gigawing, mars matrix, Ikaruga

on PS2 : sylpheed, gradius III&IV, RType Final (forgot it in japan :crying: )

and -stupid i am to have sold it- on neo of course: Alpha Mission 2 and Last Resort

i didn t like Radiant Silvergun, the fact you get all the weapons from the beginning and the poor game scenery (i ve played it last year only), plus the easy factor (finished in one go) made it a no pleasure game... i just ran though it because i had to, it s so famous, but it didn t leave any good memories...
but i loved ikaruga, verry impressive game :)

just building this little list gives me the envy to go back to my homeplace, switch on my old machineries and play through all of them again~

shmups are for me the games with the biggest replay value. you don t play to solve a mystery, you don t play to gain levels, you play just for fun :) shooooooot

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Just got a New/Sealed Silpheed & Gradius Galaxies from ebay.

Q

qube

BarfHappy said:
i didn t like Radiant Silvergun, the fact you get all the weapons from the beginning and the poor game scenery (i ve played it last year only), plus the easy factor (finished in one go) made it a no pleasure game... i just ran though it because i had to, it s so famous, but it didn t leave any good memories...

Good lord, what is it with some of you people??!! How can you be so good at games that you just "run through" a game like RS on your first sitting? :eek: Fricking mutant freak gamers on this board here. The last boss of RS is a freaking beast, and I thought that the rest of the game was tough as nails too!

I also don't understand what's not to like, as RS is one of my more favourite shmups of all time, but hey, to each his own ;)

Q-

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
qube said:
Good lord, what is it with some of you people??!! How can you be so good at games that you just "run through" a game like RS on your first sitting? :eek: Fricking mutant freak gamers on this board here. The last boss of RS is a freaking beast, and I thought that the rest of the game was tough as nails too!

I also don't understand what's not to like, as RS is one of my more favourite shmups of all time, but hey, to each his own ;)

Q-

Yeah man. First try?

Dare I say, I smell bullshit.

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
xtoo_short20x said:
Btw, any fans of Shikagami No Shiro 2/Mobile Light Force 2?

And what would be a good monitor to buy for shooters?

I'm a fan....although the SICKENINGLY butchered american box art makes me die laughing everytime I glance at it. If there's someone else in the room there's no shutting up about it for like 30 minutes :)

The game really does kick ass though. I especially like the weapon power up when you're extremely close to enemy bullets...

I'd also like some suggestions on perma-vert monitors...would it be wise to get a standard TV and just keep it rotated all the time? I've fucked up one TV by doing it back and forth...

SNKJorge

How hard is it to find a kit or board only of Pro-Gear No Arashi?

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
AnechoicJinx said:
I'd also like some suggestions on perma-vert monitors...would it be wise to get a standard TV and just keep it rotated all the time? I've fucked up one TV by doing it back and forth...

Several options really:

Plasma TV with swivel wall mount (I've already got the screen and will do this later this year)

LCD TV mounted vertically.

Dedicated arcade cab

And other ways I haven't thought of. Personally, I like the first 2 the best.

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
Yeah man. First try?

Dare I say, I smell bullshit.

nha, when i say in one go is not first try, first sitting as said before is better term, time to get the mechanics, and all.
i was with a friend of mine, all excited because we just got "the" radiant silvergun. we played it each one at his turn (after a life loss or a level change), and when the end came we were like "eh, that s all ?" ... i don t remember having major difficulties on this one, thus the easy factor since i had big problems on ps2 sylpheed last stage and especially the before-last boss (the one looking like segacd's last boss) and at ikaruga.
maybe i should give it another try like said the 1st post, but i have no real envy. maybe there are several difficulty levels, i don t remember and honestly don t care. like i said, i don t like the all weapons at the beginning system. and i hate the laser saber, allways, that was true in spriggan mark2, einhander, in sylpheed PS2 and is still true in RS.

[edit: and on the graphics side, honestly, i was waiting for a eye smashing 3D shooter... and it was an heavily sprites-based (before getting flamed, i talk mostly about backgrounds), with some verry rough 3D ... not a fancy game to me]

Last edited:

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Wolf said:
Several options really:

Plasma TV with swivel wall mount (I've already got the screen and will do this later this year)

LCD TV mounted vertically.

Dedicated arcade cab

And other ways I haven't thought of. Personally, I like the first 2 the best.

Those are pretty expensive options :)

Verbatum, you said you had a TV made just for this, is it just a standard TV? Modified in any way?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Originally posted by xtoo_short20x [...] And what would be a good monitor to buy for shooters?

I have two old Commodore 1084S multisync monitors that I use for my Amiga, and a Philips CM 8833 multsync as well. These monitors are quite small (14" and 15"), but they have SCART/RGB and can be rotated at will without taking damge. These monitors are very cheap, < $50 if you look long enough. If you want something bigger (and more modern), LCD- or Plasma TVs may be the way to go, but I've yet to see a LCD TV set that does not blur on high-speed games. Plasma is much better, but also much more expensive.

On a sidenote, I wouldn't rotate one of those big-ass 100Hz TVs, it's no prob for the tube if you switch it off while rotating and let it degauss afterwards, but the pcbs inside aren't really built for this position, specially the heavier parts like transformers, etc.

Btw. -

I've started a new shooters section in the Gameplay Glossary thread, you shooter fans may want to take a look at it and add a few terms and defnitions about your fave genre.

Last edited:

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I'm running vertical shooter PCBs via a supergun on a 17" Viewsonic LCD that pivots.

It also has a 16ms refresh for zero blurring.

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
Takumaji said:
I have two old Commodore 1084S multisync monitors that I use for my Amiga, and a Philips CM 8833 multsync as well. These monitors are quite small (14" and 15"), but they have SCART/RGB and can be rotated at will without taking damge. These monitors are very cheap, < $50 if you look long enough. If you want something bigger (and more modern), LCD- or Plasma TVs may be the way to go, but I've yet to see a LCD TV set that does not blur on high-speed games. Plasma is much better, but also much more expensive.

On a sidenote, I wouldn't rotate one of those big-ass 100Hz TVs, it's no prob for the tube if you switch it off while rotating and let it degauss afterwards, but the pcbs inside aren't really built for this position, specially the heavier parts like transformers, etc.

Btw. -

I've started a new shooters section in the Gameplay Glossary thread, you shooter fans may want to take a look at it and add a few terms and defnitions about your fave genre.

thanks for info man

I was thinking to get an old cheap widescreen 24' to rotate possibly not 100Hz
what do you think about it??

I dont want use my supergun with a mere 14'
anyway
if I think 'bout the good ol' C 1084S I get nostalgic:D

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
kaos said:
thanks for info man

I was thinking to get an old cheap widescreen 24' to rotate possibly not 100Hz
what do you think about it??

I dont want use my supergun with a mere 14'
anyway
if I think 'bout the good ol' C 1084S I get nostalgic:D

I know... 14" is not very big, but since these multisyncs have a relatively flicker-free picture, I can live with the small size if I sit close enough. 14" in tate mode is better than 20"+ vertical IMO.

I had a 21" standard 4:3 TV (no 100Hz) that I flipped regularly but after a year or so the far left and right edges of the screen started to show strange colors due to magnetization. It got better after flipping it back but the color effect worsened when rotating the unit to the side again, up to a point where the whole screen turned reddish-green. Now the unit still shows faint reddish colors on the edges of the screen so it may be permanently damaged...

In short - I guess standard household TVs shouldn't be rotated at all, or if you have to do it, no longer than an hour at once.

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
Takumaji said:
I know... 14" is not very big, but since these multisyncs have a relatively flicker-free picture, I can live with the small size if I sit close enough. 14" in tate mode is better than 20"+ vertical IMO.

I had a 21" standard 4:3 TV (no 100Hz) that I flipped regularly but after a year or so the far left and right edges of the screen started to show strange colors due to magnetization. It got better after flipping it back but the color effect worsened when rotating the unit to the side again, up to a point where the whole screen turned reddish-green. Now the unit still shows faint reddish colors on the edges of the screen so it may be permanently damaged...

In short - I guess standard household TVs shouldn't be rotated at all, or if you have to do it, no longer than an hour at once.

yeah...guess this what happen after long term
even if some websites claim rotation safe if done properly
such as wait a bit before rotate then plug it

I'll check more for a 21' monitor....maybe an old Philips or so

thanks again

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
How hard is it to find a kit or board only of Pro-Gear No Arashi?

All I can say is good luck.

I've seen the 2 kits sell at Trieu's store, and Japhei had one for auction on ebay awhile back. That's it.

I will own this game though.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
I've seen a few people mention Gradius Gaiden - which game is this based off of? Or is it pretty much original? (As original as Gradius can get, I mean)...

Also, anybody know of a reason I can't use a DLP projector in TATE mode? A screen taller than me sounds about right... :tickled:

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Nick Goracke said:
I've seen a few people mention Gradius Gaiden - which game is this based off of? Or is it pretty much original? (As original as Gradius can get, I mean)...

Its "Gradius" at its core, similar gameplay, enemy patterns, power-ups, etc. But from what I remember, the bosses are pretty different.

The biggest change is instead of piloting the Vic Viper, you have a choice of piloting Vic Viper and three other ships (I don't remember the names) each with their unique set of power-ups. I just bought this game from Carlsson, can't wait til its at my doorstep.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Buro Destruct said:
Its "Gradius" at its core, similar gameplay, enemy patterns, power-ups, etc. But from what I remember, the bosses are pretty different.

The biggest change is instead of piloting the Vic Viper, you have a choice of piloting Vic Viper and three other ships (I don't remember the names) each with their unique set of power-ups. I just bought this game from Carlsson, can't wait til its at my doorstep.

Basically it replaces the Manual Powerup Settings of Gradius 3, etc with "ship choice"....really the same thing though.

Otherwise, the ships are all the same.

There's also a cool new Shield that works as a REAL barrier around your ship...you can SKATE along the ground and ceiling as long as you have it on.

Also, its sort of a blend of the Salamander/Lifeforce/Gradius universes...hence the other ships and the motley collection of enemies/bosses familiar to both universes.

Status
Not open for further replies.