All about shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Strikers 1945 III, bitches.

the feeling of Technical Bonus is just too grand.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Shapermc said:
Just to let you know there is also Taisen Hot Gimmick art that would be considered a bit to hot for some ;)

Not too add any pressure or anything, but there is Daraku Tenshi: The Fallen Angels art as well.

Cool.

The Taisen Hot Gimmick was done by none other than Groove On Fight / Matrimelee's Range Murata.

Did he work on Daraku Tenshi as well?

Got a link to a Hot Gimmick or Daraku Tenshi art book?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
After all these years, 1943: The Battle for Midway will always be my number one shooter though there are better playing and more visually appealing games. Of course since I am the official world record holder on the game, I'm partial to 1943 :buttrock:

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Ahh! Shootys!! Some of the finest works of art out there. OK, here are my pics for finest shooters from my personal collection:

Famicom:

Zanac

Duo:

Winds of thunder

Gate of Thunder

Cho Aniki

Spriggan

Guhed

Mega Drive:

Musha Aleste

Super Famicom:

Axelay

Macross Scrambled Valkyrie

Super Aleste

Neo:

Last Resort

Blazing Star

PS:

Philosoma

Einhander

Sokyou Gurentai

Saturn:

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Radiant Silvergun

Dreamcast:

Giga Wing

Giga Wing 2

Zero Gunner 2

PS2:

Silpheed

R-type Final

Shienryu Explosion

REZ

Cho Aniki

GameCube:

Ikaruga

Shikigami No Shiro 2

GBA:

Iridion 2

X-Box:

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Jamma Boards:

Guwange

E.S.P. RADE

DoDonPachi: Bee Storm

DoDonPachi

Those are my pics for best shooter around. No, Radiant Silvergun is not the best shooter ever made. That honor goes to Winds of Thunder on the Duo. Finest damn Shooter ever. Best arcade Shooter has to go to Guwange. Cave, I love you, really.

Top 10:

1. Winds of Thunder

2. Gate of Thunder

3. Einhander

4. REZ

5. Guwange

6. Panzer Dragoon Orta

7. Gunhed

8. Philosoma

9. Mush Aleste

10. DoDonPachi: Bee Storm

Lets see the love for Philosoma people.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My shmup system of choice is the Genny and, to a lesser extend, the SAT or PSX because of arcade ports like the godly Strikers 1945 II, I love that game.

On MD/Genesis, my faves are M.U.S.H.A., Gynoug, Thunder Force 2/3/4, Raiden Trad, Hellfire, Bio Hazard Battle and a few others.

Shooters also were my fave genre on Amiga, I played a lot of Hybris, Sidewinder, Katakis (R-Type), R-Type 2, Silk Worm (couldn't get enough of it), Xenon 1+2 and Phalanx 1/2... good times.... before that, the C=64 fed my shmup needs, mostly with arcade ports, but also with genuine masterpieces like Delta, Uridium 1+2 and others.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Verbatum said:
[...] 6. Panzer Dragoon Orta [...]

I'm surprised you have that in your top-10. I played it quite a lot and I like it, but IMO it has a few lengthy spots where you tediously hammer away on bizarre mid- or end bosses.

I have to admit that the game has a wonderful atmosphere and artwork, and the story is slightly twisted but works well, specially with all that dragon/bio mechanoid stuff.

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
Takumaji said:
Uridium 1+2 .

holy shit
how I forgot Uridium I just dunno

@Verbatum
you rock

the only thing makes me thinking
is
Einhander > Guwange:eek_2:

I do love Einhander...is just from a genious
but......
anyway you the boss...maybe I missed something:)

corbo 2

Genjuro's Frog
:) :) :) :) :)

Nice topic.Lately i've been playing Neo Shooters.Been watsing a insane amount of time on Blazing Star,Pulstar and Last Resort.

But i've just got Border Down last night and tonight i'm giving it a good blast.It plays very much like a old school vert shooter but with plently of bullet spray...nice graphics and the soundtrack is good but i havn't played it too much yet.

I currently want to use my Saturn more for DoDonpachi,Battle Garegga, Soukey,Shienryu and of course Radiant Silvergun...i'm savin up now for them :)

And the lastest DC releases i'm gonna have to preorder..i can never have too many shmup 'em ups.Man i'm so skint...

I'll reply later when i have more time

:p

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Is the PSX version of DoDonpachi so expensive because it's rare, because it's that much better than the saturn version, or both?

kaos

AnechoicJinx said:
Is the PSX version of DoDonpachi so expensive because it's rare, because it's that much better than the saturn version, or both?

don't know why but just avoid it as hell....really

get the Sat version
not arcade perfect, but a very good port overall

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
Kid Aphex said:
Project X2 is out for the PSX.
It's enemies are prerendered ala Blazing Star, etc.

Here's a review:

http://kiken.sirkain.net/X2Main.html

Jesus Christ the game looks amazing.
I'd kill for a go at it....

Anybody know where I can pick this up? Tried the usual suspects (yahoo jp, videogamedepot, ncsx) but no go...

Same with XII Stag - haven't found that yet either.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Gentlemen,

I've just placed preorders for two (!) new Dreamcast shooters at OtakuMW:

The Castle of Shikigami II

and

Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate

:drool:

DC lives on. Shmups live on. Life is good.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
that's because X2 is a pal only release, published by ocean and made by team 17, i think.

edit:

a3_1.JPG

prinsecharles

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
heres some shooters i couldn't live without if i had to sell my shooter collection .
also anyone who plays shooters and uses more than 1 credit is a battyman!!!!
saturn
battle garegga -the don of the inbetween shmup manically fast but still old skool and the best raizing game for home console
dodonpachi- adrenaline induced buzzes from pink and blue bullets.once you click with the later levels you are hoplessly addicted
batsugun- manic fast bullets that are aimed directly at your ship.the most manic of all toaplan games and great fun!!

psx
zanac x zanac -amazing game ,great old skool feel ,great soundtrack and different enemy patterns every time you play
donpachi-much better than saturn but only good if you tate your t.v.

ps2
dodonpachi daioujou-more cave goodness with more bullets than ever mmm

also another fun title to look for is harmful park for psx a really great fun to play parodius style shooter .it's quite rare but recently i've seen copies go for £35-40 on ebay.co.uk so if you see it snap it up.
not many people know about it which is why i mentioned

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
kaos said:
holy shit
how I forgot Uridium I just dunno

@Verbatum
you rock

the only thing makes me thinking
is
Einhander > Guwange:eek_2:

I do love Einhander...is just from a genious
but......
anyway you the boss...maybe I missed something:)

Thanks man!

I just find both Orta and Einhander to be some of the most artistic shooters around. They play great, have very, very clear and distinct ambiance, and a wonderful score on top of all the goodness!:D

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Just dug up an old Megadrive/Arcade (or downloaded it....ssssh) called Air Buster.

First shooter I ever played seriously (Lifeforce being the real first, but I hated it at the age of six). Not particularly gimmicky or strong with any one type of "theme" but it is a very solid all-around shooter, especially the near perfect Genesis port.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Plisken said:
that's because X2 is a pal only release, published by ocean and made by team 17, i think.

edit:

a3_1.JPG

I think it got a small JPN NTSC release as well- saw one on eBay last year

I actually own the PAL version- but I cannot play it! I have a JPN PSX and a normal NTSC tv and I've never played the fucking thing

Damned sonofabitch Europeans! :)

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
try using the psx emulator, epsxe! i can vouch for it's quality, only problem is games are VERY pixelated if you run them in standard mode. But seeing as it uses it's own drivers, you can make them run in hi-res.

ST-V

kaos said:
don't know why but just avoid it as hell....really

:spock:

To answer your question AnechoicJinx, it's a much better port than the SS version. If you rotate your monitor it is even better. DDP for PSX does seem harder to come by, but you see it pop up on eBay now and then and some import stores that carry used PSX titles. After personally playing both versions, I'll stick to the PSX version (especially if you're more into playing 1P only and rotate your monitor, like I do).

I've been playing a lot of Gradius Gaiden for PSX lately, just to get ready for Gradius V. Other than that I've been playing Mars Matrix and Batsugun.

kaos

ST-V said:

it's a much better port than the SS version.

dude
99% of people who cares 'bout to rotate a monitor(myself do) gives a damn if a conversion has this option
they already have a supergun(myself too)
and I don't think who's gonna buy a Sat/PSX port
gives a shit about it too

none of'em are arcade perfect
but at least Sat version has a better graphic
loading time are good

while everybody know PSX can't handle 2D as good as Sat does
if you like pixeled shit than things change:rolleyes:

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
So folks, what are your greatest Shooter achviements?

Me:

Beat Guwange with one-credit

Beat Winds of Thunder on Super without losing it

Giga Wing 2 without loosing a life

DoDonPachi, one credit

I have some more, but enough about me! Onto you folks...

kaos

Verbatum said:
Thanks man!

I just find both Orta and Einhander to be some of the most artistic shooters around. They play great, have very, very clear and distinct ambiance, and a wonderful score on top of all the goodness!:D

understand
I agree
but still prefer Guwange:D
I never liked so much, graphically speaking...of course, PSX shumps
but again...I do consider Einhander a little miracle by Squaresoft
on topa that I'm into verticals the most

@your last post
sadly, never been so good for the record/score/secrets thing:(
I made some good shit with gunbird 2 though
in this period I'm SERIOUSLY trying to play to hell dodonpachi dai-ou-jou
one credit??.....I'll try it, but quite hard for me

Baseley09

Hair Group,
ST-V said:

To answer your question AnechoicJinx, it's a much better port than the SS version. If you rotate your monitor it is even better. DDP for PSX does seem harder to come by, but you see it pop up on eBay now and then and some import stores that carry used PSX titles. After personally playing both versions, I'll stick to the PSX version (especially if you're more into playing 1P only and rotate your monitor, like I do).

I've been playing a lot of Gradius Gaiden for PSX lately, just to get ready for Gradius V. Other than that I've been playing Mars Matrix and Batsugun.

Nice to see someone with sense, people are usually blinded saying blah blah 2D Saturn blah. Yes for the fighters 100% Saturn, most other 2D titles are exactly the same, sometimes better or worse than Saturn, basically PSX is just as good for this, and there is more choice on the machine.PSX gets too much bad presss, unfounded.

Never underestimate the power of the Playstation

Now go buy some cool import PSX stuff bitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.