All about shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
anyone played the Sega Ages Fantasy Zone remake for the jap PS2? it's so good, it's not funny. I mean really, though it lacks the plish of R-Type or Gradius it has a wondeful acid trip stylle, challenging bosses and great , great music.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Shapermc said:
;)
SexyKoyori.jpg

That is out of THIS art book. It is a really bad ass art book.

Yes, that girl from the the Sengoku Blade cover is just too cute.
Too bad the seller of that book has a massive amount of
negs...

Btw, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Last edited:

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
The majority of the "favorite" lists in this thread are largely "new-school" (32bit+) games...

Like I said, the "death" of the shooter genre has been greatly exagerated. The glut of quick money-run shooters passed years ago, but we're still getting a quality release every couple months. I like that.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Too_Short: Wow, I guess that I should feel luck that I got mine from him. It was slow shipping, but it was in good condition. Also, when people purchase something at the stated shipping price they really have no right to post a negitive, that is odd. Anyways, I got mine from him as have others at the shmups.com board.

Butta: "I play everything else with a supergun." Excellent, you can Tate (pronounced tah-tey but hey I say it like ro-tate) your TV (possibly). Here are some instructions : http://turn.to/vertical

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Ive heard some diss it in the past, one of my alltime fave games let alone shooters is Download on the PCE. Great box, cutscenes, music.Hot.

BTW IIX Stag is getting a pal release by some obscure Italian publisher.

Last edited:

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
you lucky fucking yanks

why...
I've never seen something like
THIS
in Europe?
why?

@shapermc
great site about vertical stuff....realy
now everything I need is an old monitor to rotate
then......Guwange:drool:

Last edited:

Hobgoblin

Crazed MVS Addict
Theres only one shooter that you need to play and thats psyvariar 2, itll be out on DC soon and it is quite possibly the best new shooter out there ive played recently (better than border down and Ikaruga)

As for saturn shmups, Sol Divide is fucking awesome and really unique with some rpg elements tied in (and no you dont need to know japanese) The deluxe packs are always the way to go, Cotton boomerang is chill, and my favorite is sengoku blade, its a bit pricey but an excellent game.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
kaos said:
you lucky fucking yanks

why...
I've never seen something like
THIS
in Europe?
why?
That is about 2X to 3X what it is worth. I can easily get a gunbird board for under $100 and have seen it below $50. I can get a cab for under $200 easily as well.

kaos said:
@shapermc
great site about vertical stuff....realy
now everything I need is an old monitor to rotate
then......Guwange:drool:
Just go on ebay and get a cheap old Commadore monitor or something for under $20 easy. Keep it as your perma vert montior.

kaos

Shapermc said:
That is about 2X to 3X what it is worth. I can easily get a gunbird board for under $100 and have seen it below $50. I can get a cab for under $200 easily as well.

:very_ang: :very_ang:

Just go on ebay and get a cheap old Commadore monitor or something for under $20 easy. Keep it as your perma vert montior.

yeah I was thinking 'bout it
but
what do you think of an old 24' widescreen
so to have a complete experience?
I was wondering if it could manage a rotation

Well being as how SHOOTERS and RGS game are the bulk of what I love and play, it's too hard to pick a favorite over another really... but I guess this would be in among my faves.

___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___

Lords of Thunder
Blazing Star
MUSHA ALESTE
Sengoku Blade (Ace II)
Gleylancer
Soldier Blade
Gate of Thunder
Eliminate Down
AREA 88
Twin Eagles II
Strikers 1945 Plus
Axelay
Macross 2036
Ray Xanber 2
Layer Section
Sexy Parodius
SDF: MACROSS
Ultimate Destroyer BLAST WIND
Operation Code: VAPOR TRAIL
Sonic Wings 2
MX-5000
Fire Shark
Kyuyoku Tiger (Twin Cobra on Genny)
Battle Mania II
19XX: War of Destiny
Gynoug
Steam Hearts

___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___

MD20XX / Storm Rider

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
We need more links to shmup related sites like turn.to.vertical.

If you know them, post them.

kaos said:
shapermc > samantha > God
yeah....

Ahhhhhh YEAH... my dick's pointin' north again!

:lol:

---Hey Kaos I think you put this in the wrong thread bro. Unless you added SAMANTHA as the BOSS of a Sexy Parodius entry on KONAMI's behalf. JEAH... "SHOOTER" A wad of gelatinous goo skeets through space and finds it's target!

*Might make sense. I'd rather shoot on her then to have to face a Giant racoon with his nut sack showing.

MD20XX / Storm Rider

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
Buro Destruct said:
Missed it, oops. Okay so three people have got the love for Mars Matrix.

A question I have is where would you all place games like Contra or Metal Slug? Are these techinically shooters as well or do they belong under their type of category?

Mars Matrix is teh shit! It and Ikaruga are my favorite modern shooties, though I havent played Borderdown yet. The bullet absorbtion and regurgatation is -awesome-. And the totally insane amount of bullets onscreen is intense. My only gripe--and its a small one--is that I wish the game would move a hair quicker.

Other faves:

Lords of Thunder - Really, perhaps one of the most complete shooties ever. Great tunes, visuals, and the power up system. Most importantly just insanely fun.

Axelay - A lil slow, but a top fiver, IMO. Best shooter soundtrack, ever.

Download II - Maybe not be a AAA title, but very good. Final boss is deceptively hard!

Star Parodier - One of the best cute'em ups EVER. I never tire of using a PC Engine to destory enemies. Graphics are about as good as it gets on the PCE CD. One drawback: too easy!

kaos

MegaDrive 20XX said:
Ahhhhhh YEAH... my dick's pointin' north again!

---Hey Kaos I think you put this in the wrong thread bro. Unless you added SAMANTHA as the BOSS of a Sexy Parodius entry on KONAMI's behalf. JEAH... "SHOOTER" A wad of gelatinous goo skeets through space and finds it's target!

*Might make sense. I'd rather shoot on her then to have to face a Giant racoon with his nut sack showing.

MD20XX / Storm Rider

:D

as I said my life changed when I've seen her 1st time

I ain't sayin' I'd bang shap rather than her

but this guy is really too cool
He's owning her at the moment:multi_co:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Two more links:

Dodge the Bullet - Great site that covers a new game in-depth every now and then, at the mo it's Sengoku Blade. They had an awesome Ikaruga feature with stunning vids two months ago.

Shmups MK2 - One of me fave shmup sites with good reviews and other genre stuff.

About old school shmups, well, that's pretty much where it's at for me, that's why I love next-gen games like Border Down, they manage to transport a certain atmosphere that only the classic stuff can provide, R-Type, Salamander, you know the score. BD, Mars Matrix, they are advanced games with modern visuals but the same addicting gameplay as in the classics.

From the older shooters, I love Galaga, Gaplus, Phoenix, Defender, Tempest, Gyruss, then the late 80s games like R-Type and Salamander 2, and of course shmups from Psikyo, Cave, Treasure, Irem, etc.

Man, another shooter is on it's way for DC... the genre isn't really well atm, but it certainly isn't dead.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
It's kind of sad- but one of the best ways to play shooters these days is on MAME

There's a shitload of shooters on MAME

I'd rather play on a console- but once I exhausted the Saturn and DC shooters I didn't have any new places to go- except PS2 imports-- and I have an un-modded, US PS2- so I'm screwed. I wanted to play the new DoDonPachi and Stag :mad_2:

And what's up with the DC having a NEW shooter coming out? Any links on that one?

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Has ANYONE played the game "Project X2"?

I'd never even heard of this game until today...and apparently, it's rather amazing.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Kid Aphex said:
Has ANYONE played the game "Project X2"?

I'd never even heard of this game until today...and apparently, it's rather amazing.

What system is it out for?

What type of a shooter is Border Down, I've heard lots of good things about it, but I've never seen screen shots of vids for it.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Master Giby said:
What system is it out for?

What type of a shooter is Border Down, I've heard lots of good things about it, but I've never seen screen shots of vids for it.

Project X2 is out for the PSX.
It's enemies are prerendered ala Blazing Star, etc.

Here's a review:

http://kiken.sirkain.net/X2Main.html

Jesus Christ the game looks amazing.
I'd kill for a go at it....

Status
Not open for further replies.