• Metal Slug 4

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Metal Slug 5

Votes: 12 5.8%

• Total voters

SHO

Raiden's Valet
The_Chosen_One said:
No love for 5 eh, wonder if that's cause it's not what it could have been or because none of us have played it yet.

i think many people haven't played it yet!

i haven't played it yet... just thought i'll include it in the poll anyway

madyorkie

Rugal's Thug
I played 5 thru a few times and all i can say is i think alot of slug fans will be a bit dissapointed with it, the first level played really well and i thought it was going to be a great game but then it kind of lost that from there on. Still a good game but not as good as the others in my view anyway.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
reasons why I think zombie stage is the best:
1.) You know that "Jungh Jungh Jungh" metal chords just as the level starts up? Well that's so catchy (as well as the entire BGM) that I have a habit of playing that very same "Jungh Jungh Jungh" guitars in my head on the start of every metal slug level, regardless of the game version.

2.) The combo of the BGM and the dark nighttime graphics, and how nicely the BGM tunes match the flow of the animation of your 'zombie' character.

3.) The cave sublevel is always fun to play. And riding back with the Mastodon, zapping the fuck out of the baddies is definately worth the bother.

4.) You get to be a zombie, and use it on the boss.

5.) Cool boss too, great music (in phase 1).

6.) Thundercloud + president

My 6 reasons why I like that level the most. :)

Alright i'll have at it why i think this is (one of) the worst level in any slug game.

1.) This level does not feel like a level in a slug game. It feels like im playing a 2D resident evil. I don't feel like i'm an unstoppable one man army in this level - rather it seems like im always about to die and i constantly have to watch my back.

2.) The Zombies are too tough - As with most of the enemies in the game i think they are just to tough. (But this point is really just me bitching at the overall difficulty of MS3).

3.) Back to point 1 - the pacing of the level is to slow. You can't run through and slaughter the zombies, again it feels like im playing a 2D resident evil.

Now i do like some elements of the Zombie level:

Being a Zombie can be fun. The atmosphere and originality of the level are great.

I just think this level ruins the pacing of the game, thats really what i dont like.

Lagduf said:
I just think this level ruins the pacing of the game, thats really what i dont like.

I see... You sound like the kind of Slug'er that prefers a really fast and rude slug-type of fight, heh? Like shooting/dodging/running all by the seat of your pants type? I'm like this myself. I find myself trying to kill as many baddies as possible in the shortest time span but unfortunately this eats up credits.

Lately I've been doing what others on these boards 'seem' to be doing... trying to last as long as possible without dying, prob by taking their time in the levels or maybe they are just really friggin good at it.

Either way I don't know Lagduf... the Zombie level may be my fav most of the time but sometimes I have other favorites too. Depends on my mood. I guess Zombie stage just impacted me suchly upon first viewing.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
I see... You sound like the kind of Slug'er that prefers a really fast and rude slug-type of fight, heh? Like shooting/dodging/running all by the seat of your pants type? I'm like this myself. I find myself trying to kill as many baddies as possible in the shortest time span but unfortunately this eats up credits.

Lately I've been doing what others on these boards 'seem' to be doing... trying to last as long as possible without dying, prob by taking their time in the levels or maybe they are just really friggin good at it.

Either way I don't know Lagduf... the Zombie level may be my fav most of the time but sometimes I have other favorites too. Depends on my mood. I guess Zombie stage just impacted me suchly upon first viewing.

I don't actually think the Zombie stage is the worst level in the slug games i've played, i suppose its just that i don't like it. So its my least favorite...But to the point: I think im the kind of slug guy that likes to stay alive as long as possible. Usually i play my slug games in two ways: Stay alive as long as possible (trrying to get a one credit run for example) or playing for score. Playing for score requires a lot more risk if you want to get all the points. I always have liked the ice cave part on the Zombie level as you can score massive points. Its juist so damned hard.

But again i just thinks its personal preference. I don't dig the Zombies but for some reason i love the Mummies in the second stage of MS2. Go figure.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
no love for MS5

geeze, no one voted MS5? I thought it's the second best next to MS3, much more innovative vehicles and enemies, well rounded environments.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
CHRiZ-77 said:
Metal Slug 3 placed first, straight behind Metal Slug X!!!

Makes sense to me. I know some people are turned off by all the alien stuff, but MS3 is just such a great game.

MSRdude

Super Sidekicks 3
i say MS 3, X, 2 1, 4 then 5. MS 5 has a lot of unused sprites and even though ppl say MS 4 suxs, they have good graphics and when u choose the characters, the pic looks awsome! sound suxs thats all.

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
I've personally loved all the Metal Slug games. I have played the original, 2, X, and 3 the most. What I loved about MS3 was that that it had a new perspective of the game. The mission battles are as good as they ever were before and it was just so damn cool how the new space battles took place vertically. My favorite is probably MS3!!

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I may be getting 5 shortly, so i will hold out from voting.

That being said, number 3 is such an epic that i dont think it can be beat.

The first Slug 'was' a great game and gets points for being the first and overall most consistant - but it is too short.

I do prefer the palete in number 2, the overall improvements and play of X.

Im not keen on the wierdness of 3 per-se, but having said that i think it is one of the best games ever (certainly in my top10). The last level does drag, but im not sure if splitting the last level into 2 would have done the game any better.

I know people dont like 4 and certainly it's to average to be considered the greatest, however i did find the game to be very well balanced and it was certainly fun while i had it. I wasnt too bothered about the recycled sprites etc as they did that in X and no-one complains about that!

Number 5 i have yet to play.

Neo-weirdo

Mr. Big's Thug
After finally playing all the slugs after I got 4 today, I will have to say that I actually like MS4 alot and think it's my favorite(dodges tomatoes)

The story is just so well done and the stages are very nice and organized. I also like the cameo roles that the old characters take.
The slugs are spread out nicely too. and most important, it keeps the military feel that MS1 game me.

So my list from favorite to worst goes:
MS4
MSX
MS1
MS3
MS5
MS2

All hail MS4!!!:buttrock: :buttrock:

DIX

Astra Superstar
the best is Metal Slug 1, better graphic (and parody 2nd world war-military atmosphere) difficulty level very well balanced never frustrating, really this is a game near to the perfection.

MS 2 good but useless (because there is the X), 3 is a wonderful game but sometime it can be difficult,bore and/or too long,

DIX

Astra Superstar
I don't like 4&5 but they have very cool music..

twodeepuzzler

Geese's Thug
I'm gonna step up and defend Slug 5.

First off, the music is the best of the series. Sampled instruments and really catchy tunes get me into the game, and I often wish there was a soundtrack available.

Then we have the enemies. I don't know, for me, its a nice change of pace to fight a new army of bad guys. They look like Snake Eyes for some reason, and that's cool.

Although sadly, this game is not what it could have been. Yes, the secret bosses would have been hella cool, and there could have been more alternate paths. However, its still a damn fun game, not incredibly difficult, but not a cakewalk either. Definitely a game that I will play over and over just for the sheer fun of Metal Slug.

However, my all time favorite is still Metal Slug 3. To me, its the ultimate test of short attention span hardcore gaming - do I have the attention to sit through the entire game? Most of the time.

But I still hold a soft spot for Slug 5. Last Slug on the Neo, yes. Could have been better, absolutely. But still, a worthy addition to the series.

Pick it up now, or you might just regret it later when the neostore is sold out.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
I doubted between 1 and 2, but part 1 simple never bores me so 1 it is :)

SHO

Raiden's Valet
I got my MS5 today

I must say it is my fav... it is short...but all the new machines are cool! The slide is also cool!

no need to argue... they all excellent....

honestly picking which one is best is a really hard choice!:rolleyes:

Neo-weirdo

Mr. Big's Thug
MS5 is all about the grafx...some of the best in the Slug world so far. Too bad they didn't spend more time making it more fun.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
I'll get attacked for this. BUt it never ceases to amaze me how people rate SLug X over Slug 2. To quote others, SLug 2 is like a journey, it has a great storyline with the aliens aspect being gradually put in, it has a better colour palate and in 1 player the slowdown isnt anything special. In fact I think it enhances the game.COs U get to see all that great animation. ANd lets face it , it was a true succesor to SLug 1.It took the Slug series to a new level.
SLug 4 gets criticsed for being a rehash so why not SLug X?

I am probably going to be hated and made fun of for this...but I must confess. I have never played a MS game and never plan to play one. I can feel the heat in the room already. You see, I know for a fact that I would love these games. But I just don't want to shell out the money for any of these classics. I own an AES and I would break down and end up buying all of them (even if I have the money or not). So just to be safe, I am not going to even bother playing them...until I win the lottery or something then maybe I could afford one or two of them. :D I could try out the ROM's, but that would only make me want them more. And it just wouldn't be the same on any other system. I know I shouldn't ask this...but I have too. Are they similar to the old NES game called Contra? I loved that game and all the other versions (I haven't played the PS2 one yet though). That is why I think I might like them. I have a feeling they are similar to that game. What do you think? Maybe I am just crazy and need some sleep...

SHO

Raiden's Valet
GothicSamurai said:
I am probably going to be hated and made fun of for this...but I must confess. I have never played a MS game and never plan to play one. I can feel the heat in the room already. You see, I know for a fact that I would love these games. But I just don't want to shell out the money for any of these classics. I own an AES and I would break down and end up buying all of them (even if I have the money or not). So just to be safe, I am not going to even bother playing them...until I win the lottery or something then maybe I could afford one or two of them. :D I could try out the ROM's, but that would only make me want them more. And it just wouldn't be the same on any other system. I know I shouldn't ask this...but I have too. Are they similar to the old NES game called Contra? I loved that game and all the other versions (I haven't played the PS2 one yet though). That is why I think I might like them. I have a feeling they are similar to that game. What do you think? Maybe I am just crazy and need some sleep...

Play metal slug...or get off neo geo.com....:D

get a cd system or mvs system... it is much cheaper!