News: Neo Homebrew Site Launch

RVF400

Host for Orochi
why doesn't someone convert street fighter 2 just for a laugh with only buttons :D

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
From http://www.xicons.com/details/594.html ...

"These icons are under GPL license. To learn more about this kind of license, please read the 'gpl.txt' inside the file. Note about GPL license: this license talk about software (or part of the software), the icons are digital files, and they will be applied as a part of softwares, so the GPL can be applied to the icons. Why i'm using this kind of license? There's a lot of confusion about copyrights in digital graphic files (in theory, if a file don't have a 'registrant', the first that upload the file on Internet, is the (C) propietary), and sometimes appears 'rippers' becuase don't find any (C) where he/she downloads the file; the GPL license is inside the file, and it acts as a (C); obviously, the GPL give the oportunity to others to enhance and distribute different versions of my icons. Please, read the license."

Whatever all of that means?!?! Gaaaaaa!!!!! Now we need lawyers for icons!

GPL = GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE. Ok?

MeanBeanMachine

Crazed MVS Addict
Tiptonium: Just because someone releases something he has stolen under the GPL doesn't mean that it is lawful to use these wrongly released icons.

Setsuna: why care about theft at all? Someone put artistic work into it and did not want them to be free for all. Case closed. Either the same stadards are applied to all such material or there is no point in arguing against MVS bootlegs, ROMs, Movie/Music/Game/book-warez.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
MeanBeanMachine said:
Tiptonium: Just because someone releases something he has stolen under the GPL doesn't mean that it is lawful to use these wrongly released icons.

Setsuna: why care about theft at all? Someone put artistic work into it and did not want them to be free for all. Case closed. Either the same stadards are applied to all such material or there is no point in arguing against MVS bootlegs, ROMs, Movie/Music/Game/book-warez.

Did you read the include distribution file text that was included in the downloadable file? After reading it I find no reason why the icons cannot be used. Where have you gotton your information regarding wrongfully released icons anyway?

Quote from William...

"I have drawn thousands of icons and user interface mockups for companies like QNX, Be Inc., ZeroKnowledgeSystems, IBM, AmericanExpress, and many others. I am actually a professional "icon artist" - if anyone can really have such a title, I do. Much of my work on the BeOS is now lost, as the company was purchased by Palm, Inc."

I still can't find anything that says that they were wronfully released for public use. Link please?

MeanBeanMachine

Crazed MVS Addict
They were made by Bull for Be Incorporated. The IP lies with Palm Inc after Palm bought Be. Anyone can stel artwork and claim whatever they want. Show me a document by either Palm or Be which states that they release the artwork under the GPL. If I turn your argument around I just need to take a Metal Slug 5 ROM, attach a GPL license and I can distribute it freely. :rolleyes:

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
MeanBeanMachine...

ICON Wars... Hey, didn't Microsoft, XEROX and Apply go at it regarding similar icons?

Regardless of who ripped off who and I'm still not sure if anyone has ripped anyone in this case ... Jeff got his icon from a site that distributes icons publicly, they are not hiding from anyone. If that site is distributed ICON WAREZ then contact the proper authorities to have the site brought down.

This guy claims to be the author... http://www.carlitus.net/

MeanBeanMachine

Crazed MVS Addict
I'll just use your argumentation from now on. When someone distributes ROMs, and someone claims it's ok, I take it as that even when someone points me to a notice stating that SNK/Playmore holds the copyright. After all me as the enduser of it is not responsible in anyway, only if at all the site distributing it. Thanks, I'll go download some now.

regards,

MeanBeanMachine :oh_no:

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
MeanBeanMachine said:
I'll just use your argumentation from now on. When someone distributes ROMs, and someone claims it's ok, I take it as that even when someone points me to a notice stating that SNK/Playmore holds the copyright. After all me as the enduser of it is not responsible in anyway, only if at all the site distributing it. Thanks, I'll go download some now.

regards,

MeanBeanMachine :oh_no:

Have fun!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Sheesh, whatever this thread became... Anyway, nice to see the site taking off Jeff, perhaps you may want to change the icons in the future as it makes MeanBeanMachine cry. However, I can't wait to see the dev kit and other goodies that are still to come!

-Nick

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I've added some downloads to the site.

Jeff

RVF400

Host for Orochi
i renamed the file to puzzledp but still can't get beast to work in any of my emus!, any ideas?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
First, I would go into the mame\roms folders and create a folder named "puzzledp". Then unzip the roms into that folder. Then rename the individual rom files to 202-??.bin.

Mame will look for a folder first, then a zip file.

You will also see that my zips do not have the M1 and V1 roms yet. You will need to put in some dummy files for those.

Jeff

RVF400

Host for Orochi
C:\mame>mame puzzledp
202-p1.bin WRONG CRC (expected: 2b61415b found: 1f9e62a4)
202-s1.bin NOT FOUND
202-m1.bin NOT FOUND
202-v1.bin NOT FOUND
202-c1.bin WRONG LENGTH (expected: 00100000 found: 000800
202-c1.bin WRONG CRC (expected: cc0095ef found: e1974741)
202-c2.bin WRONG LENGTH (expected: 00100000 found: 000800
202-c2.bin WRONG CRC (expected: 42371307 found: 9f5b9cf6)
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.

thats what i get

RVF400

Host for Orochi
ok i got it to boot now it says z80 error with a green screen

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I haven't built the sound files for any of the demos yet using our new driver. I will soon, I promise.

As for the playability of Beast? Well, it's just a tech demo. I haven't recoded the whole game, just the intro. More or less a demo to get a bunch of sprites on the screen using some new mapping routines. I figured it would be better than a scrolly and a bunch of balls bouncing around the screen.

You can download Poker Night and play that one though :)

Jeff

RVF400

Host for Orochi
this is so cool, so basicly you can reprogramme other games for the neo, but what kinda limit are we talking here, i mean could you for instance convert cps1 or 2 games?, or maybe megadrive/snes?, this is really intresting!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Just FYI, NeoRage plays them all perfectly, simply do this:

Name all from .bin to .rom

Add the M1 and V1 chips from some random game (I used puzzledpon) and make sure they follow the same naming convention (i.e. 2000-m1.rom).

They all play perfectly! That Poker Night rocks!

-Nick