What did SNK use to program their Neo games on?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What kinda computer setup did they use for both the H64 and the AES/MVS? I'm curious. I know that someone out here knows.

MrLonghair

Morden's Lackey
If you mean what language, it was C++ for the AES/MVS from what I remember. Devkits were available for $10k each together with empty carts ready to burn and try your code with

snkfever

Cheng's Errand Boy
werent there a few homebrew AES games released? how did they make it?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
snkfever said:
werent there a few homebrew AES games released? how did they make it?

I guess they knew the language and neo well enough to make it without an official neo devkit but a compiler and emulator instead.

But no one knows the computer specs? I'm just nerdily curious. I'd really like to know what they used to make earlier games like Fatal Fury and newer games like MOTW on.

Oh and what did they use for NGPC?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I think they used macs

plus I'm not sure the 68k can run much c/c++, probably mostly assembler for the hardcore game engine parts, and c/c++ for game logic and stuff that doesn't need to be so fast.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
DanAdamKOF said:
I guess they knew the language and neo well enough to make it without an official neo devkit but a compiler and emulator instead.

But no one knows the computer specs? I'm just nerdily curious. I'd really like to know what they used to make earlier games like Fatal Fury and newer games like MOTW on.

Oh and what did they use for NGPC?

Back in the late 90's my friend came across a Neo DEV kit while in Japan, he said it used flash cards to hold game data and instead of burning onto rom chips these were rewritable and just slid into an adaptor which looked like a cart.

Im sure the systems were PC based they used and for the most part was probably old P100's at best until 95 and up.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Theres been pics many times of the ROM emulation device which uses flash based memcards for data access, on these forums.

much quicker than getting the old eprom burner out.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
kernow said:
Theres been pics many times of the ROM emulation device which uses flash based memcards for data access, on these forums.

much quicker than getting the old eprom burner out.

yeah I remember those! They had like different systems' carts you could put these memory modules in right?

BTW I remember someone posted a link from the dark duo's site that had a AES cart with PCMCIA cards in it instead of chips. What's with that? How does the neo know to read different chips from the two PCMCIA cards (umm it's odd to explain sorry)?

And did they have emulators of the neo on the old, FF, ML, Nam era of computers they programmed the neo on?

Tell me all you know guys, my head is like a sponge.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
DanAdamKOF said:
yeah I remember those! They had like different systems' carts you could put these memory modules in right?

BTW I remember someone posted a link from the dark duo's site that had a AES cart with PCMCIA cards in it instead of chips. What's with that? How does the neo know to read different chips from the two PCMCIA cards (umm it's odd to explain sorry)?

And did they have emulators of the neo on the old, FF, ML, Nam era of computers they programmed the neo on?

Tell me all you know guys, my head is like a sponge.

As far as telling what file represented what chip, I am sure had alot to do with filesize as well as what slot on which board.

Back then there wasn't a processor fast enough to correctly emulate the Neo.

Shinji

Gai's Trainer
I'm guessing ASM.

I highly doubt C, and C++ would be a big nono.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:

Thats the rom emulation card yeah.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
mvsproto.jpg