100,000 + 1 things you never new about neo

ChrisB

Another Striker
The Neo Geo was prominently used in UK 90s TV show "Games Master". They regularly featured challenges with celebrities including Utah Saints and Gabrielle playing games like "King Of The Monsters". This was how many UK gamers were introduced to the Neo Geo as the console had never been offcially released over here!
Yeah I remember also seeing the neogeo on gamesmaster in my early teens with Dominic Diamond & Patrick Moore, was on Channel 4 if I recall :)
I remember seeing a world heroes contest on there too

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Yeah I remember also seeing the neogeo on gamesmaster in my early teens with Dominic Diamond & Patrick Moore, was on Channel 4 if I recall :)
I remember seeing a world heroes contest on there too

Yeah I remember gamesmaster very well going up, I think it used to air on Tuesday's at 6:30pm if my memory serves me correctly.

Also the World Heroes contest comprised of Ulrika Jonsson and her nephew going head to head.

ChrisB

Another Striker
I can remember the actual episode of games master where they featured the Neo Geo in the new tech section and here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXcNKRFC0FQ

Thanks for sharing that, I remember watching that in my teens brought back some memories, I specifically remember magician lord, as I played it in the arcade and so badly wanted a neo geo and the game at home. My parents at the time had the dosh to buy me the console, but the price of the games was just too much for them to stomach so I never got one :(

YANDMAN

NEST Puppet
yes for me too this was the first time i ever saw neo geo games running and these brief images of Magician lord were imprinted on my brain, I can remember being in a local arcade in about 93' and playing Knights of the round when i looked across to see the newly installed MVS with Magician lord running on it........Great times.

powerflower

Banned
...and PC-Engine with its holy grail Ginga Fukkei Densetsu Sapphire:) Only 1500 copies were printed and only sold for a couple of days at a fair. But beware there are some professionally homemade copies out there before you spend some 700+ bucks on that masterpiece. Got mine for 190 with the Ardade Card, life is sometimes really good to me, haha.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
...and PC-Engine with its holy grail Ginga Fukkei Densetsu Sapphire:) Only 1500 copies were printed and only sold for a couple of days at a fair. But beware there are some professionally homemade copies out there before you spend some 700+ bucks on that masterpiece. Got mine for 190 with the Ardade Card, life is sometimes really good to me, haha.

And this has what to do with the Neo-Geo?

jruizleon

Crazed MVS Addict
The lobby at SNK Torrance had a receptionist, a mini MVS with Blue Journey, and some framed posters on the wall. I forget the receptionist name, but she was Chad Okata girlfriend at the time. To the left was a staircase to the office upstairs and to the right was some cubicles and chads office at the end then the warehouse. Chad had a desk, bookcase, and a 29 or 27 inch Sony PVM with a Neogeo console hooked up, we never played it. Beyond his office was the warehouse, most of the space was MVS machines. There was a small caged area that had all the SNK merchandise. Tony , George, and the roller coaster guy were to the right of the MVS machines working on repairing consoles, carts, etc. I remember going there at the time when Viewpoint was sold out and George had a stack of them just sitting there. I thought I was the only one into the Neogeo whenever I was there. Chad handed me a plastic bag full of Memory cars one day maybe 30.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I was checking to see if this mentioned in the forums through search, but couldn't find anything, so I'll mention it here. We all know SNKP is making money on Pachislot games, and it's no surprise that we have an Art of Fighting / Ryuko no Ken one here.

_1_~1.JPG

arima1406.jpg

ph18.jpg

sl0407.gif

jruizleon

Crazed MVS Addict
Back in the early 90's you could have your controllers modified by one of the SNK techs. They made the sticks corner better for throwing fireballs and put a small toggle switch for auto fire on the A button.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
On any of the CD systems you can hold' UP+LEFT+B' at power on to access a test mode. Be careful as there is option to clear memory card in there.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
There was a 3rd party MP3 player planned for NGP. They stopped dev of it when NGP didnt do well in the US. They made a MP3 player for the GameBoy color though.

e3_16_05.jpg

SNK also had an official music player planned as well.
e3_16_07.jpg

e3_16_08.jpg

e3_16_09.jpg

Source
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/20000516/e3_16.htm

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
The Neo Geo home system was originally intended to have a cartridge lock to prevent people from taking cartridges out with the power still on. This was never actually implemented in released consoles though, all that remains is some clues inside the console and on every cartridge. See this thread for pics.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?250988-The-AES-s-vestigal-cartridge-lock

Perhaps its for the better, i'm concerned enough about insertion marks, a cartridge-lock would leave its marks or worse also in some way :annoyed:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
There was a 3rd party MP3 player planned for NGP. They stopped dev of it when NGP didnt do well in the US. They made a MP3 player for the GameBoy color though.

e3_16_05.jpg

Lol. This thing is cray cray. But I'd be way into it if I could mix my mp3s into the game audio.

sir arthur

War Room Troll
The team that did street fighter 1 for capcom migrated over to SNK after their work for capcom in 87 and created fatal fury 1 and art of fighting for them.

Piston Takashi and Finish Hiroshi(the producers) left SNK in 2000 to form Dimps,
the co producers of Street Fighter IV. So after all this time they got to return to the
fighting game series that they had started.

Its said that the team that did samurai shodown 1 consisted of ex SFII staffers. Furthermore many employees swapped
between Capcom and SNK constantly.

Also i read that Last Blade 1 had been in development earlier than than samurai shodown. But Samurai Shodown had been given priority by SNK, probably cause they thought it had much more potential.

Video Systems, the makers of Sonic Wings series found a new home in psikyo(now X-Nauts) after videosystems closed its doors.

Every AES and the single Slot MVS boards have red power led's under the black plastic housing.

AES units below 90k(serial number) have a much better RGB picture by default.

Interesting stuff

Thanks!