Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 100,000 + 1 things you never new about neo

Mai's Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Nick Arcade frequently had Neo Geo games. I remember Magician Lord being the first one I saw. The show did not use real arcade machines. It used consoles.
    Yeah, that episode is on youtube.

Mai's Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by kernow View Post
    I met the guy responsible for marketing the neogeo home and mvs systems in the UK when it was released over here. But I didn't know it was him until I came home. I would have totally performed a waynes world 'we're not worthy' worship if I'd had known
    That also mentioned Magician Lord in the Noah's arcade ad in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You used to be able to purchase new Neo Geo carts at Babbages aka Gamestop
    Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but that's a great one. I remember being able to purchase AES carts at Lionel Kiddie City, Toys R Us, and The Wiz, but never at Babbages. It doesn't surprise me though, since at one time Software Etc. actually sold Japanese Saturn games.

Slow Posting User Action

The team that did street fighter 1 for capcom migrated over to SNK after their work for capcom in 87 and created fatal fury 1 and art of fighting for them.

Piston Takashi and Finish Hiroshi(the producers) left SNK in 2000 to form Dimps,
    the co producers of Street Fighter IV. So after all this time they got to return to the
    fighting game series that they had started.

Its said that the team that did samurai shodown 1 consisted of ex SFII staffers. Furthermore many employees swapped
    between Capcom and SNK constantly.

Also i read that Last Blade 1 had been in development earlier than than samurai shodown. But Samurai Shodown had been given priority by SNK, probably cause they thought it had much more potential.

Video Systems, the makers of Sonic Wings series found a new home in psikyo(now X-Nauts) after videosystems closed its doors.

Every AES and the single Slot MVS boards have red power led's under the black plastic housing.

AES units below 90k(serial number) have a much better RGB picture by default.
    Last edited by ni-ten; 09-03-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Nice

Bashful Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by ni-ten View Post
    The team that did street fighter 1 for capcom migrated over to SNK after their work for capcom in 87 and created fatal fury 1 and art of fighting for them.

Piston Takashi and Finish Hiroshi(the producers) left SNK in 2000 to form Dimps,
    the co producers of Street Fighter IV. So after all this time they got to return to the
    fighting game series that they had started.

Its said that the team that did samurai shodown 1 consisted of ex SFII staffers. Furthermore many employees swapped
    between Capcom and SNK constantly.

Also i read that Last Blade 1 had been in development earlier than than samurai shodown. But Samurai Shodown had been given priority by SNK, probably cause they thought it had much more potential.

Video Systems, the makers of Sonic Wings series found a new home in psikyo(now X-Nauts) after videosystems closed its doors.

Every AES and the single Slot MVS boards have red power led's under the black plastic housing.

That's some very nice informations. thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by ni-ten View Post
    Actually older NGH units have wrong values for the video circuitry in disregard of the values recommended by sony at the video encoder datasheet, this results in a darker picture, snk fixed the mistake at the later units and so they have a much brighter picture.

The myth that the earlier units have better picture was caused by the latest and more common NGH revision the 3-6 which consists of half of the NGH systems ever made, it has a design problem at the video circuit that causes vertical lines when displaying RGB. It's easily fixed making it perform on par with board revision 3-5 which is the best stock unit as for RGB quality.

The original and inconclusive research done by nfg, he had no access to most of the systems revisions, made wrong assumptions and didn't knew how to fix the RGB video problem at the 3-6 unit which caused striping.
    http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb2/

MKL research on the matter, with access to all board revisions a conclusive explanation is offered, since the picture links are broken I'll post another link to the fix below.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=27

The 3-6 RGB fix link, half of the NGH owners have this board revision:
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax...=aesvideolines

edit: how to know your NGH revision number without opening the system:
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax...ow=aesrevision
    Last edited by metallizer; 11-05-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: knowing your NGH revision number

Neo Bubble Buster

Thanks for the info, metallizer. I was avoiding the purchase a Neo Geo console due to the image quality issues I've read on nfg.

Kula's Candy
    Melbourne - Australia - Eventually Helsinki - Finland

SNK means New Japan Project

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of Junk Master Tasuke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptionDee View Post
    Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but that's a great one. I remember being able to purchase AES carts at Lionel Kiddie City, Toys R Us, and The Wiz, but never at Babbages. It doesn't surprise me though, since at one time Software Etc. actually sold Japanese Saturn games.

yeah, the local SOFTWARE, ETC. was where
    i got my JPN SEGA SATURN copy of THUNDER FORCE V.
    i remember also seeing several other SATURN imports,
    including a port of one of the METAL SLUGs.

did you know that the SATURN GAME SHARK cheat cartridge
    doubles as regional lockout override?
    just put it the RAM cart slot, select play game,
    and any JPN game will boot up without a hitch!

also, i remember getting my copy of the WORKING DESIGNS
    U.S. conversion of Magic Knight Rayearth at that same
    SOFTWARE ETC. for $50.00 new.
    it was the ONLY copy they had in stock, and the very last
    SATURN title to see U.S. release...
    "Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you" - Matthew 7

FUCKSTICK MODERATOR.
    Misanthrope

Chasing the Pfhor around L'howon with SPNKR in hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Master Tasuke View Post
    yeah, the local SOFTWARE, ETC. was where
    i got my JPN SEGA SATURN copy of THUNDER FORCE V.
    i remember also seeing several other SATURN imports,
    including a port of one of the METAL SLUGs.

did you know that the SATURN GAME SHARK cheat cartridge
    doubles as regional lockout override?
    just put it the RAM cart slot, select play game,
    and any JPN game will boot up without a hitch!

also, i remember getting my copy of the WORKING DESIGNS
    U.S. conversion of Magic Knight Rayearth at that same
    SOFTWARE ETC. for $50.00 new.
    it was the ONLY copy they had in stock, and the very last
    SATURN title to see U.S. release...
    ..wow.. great NEO GEO stuff there...

Andy's Clothes Designer

The Neo Geo scene is home to more fucktards and scammers than anyone thought possible
    The greatest of all time: Fernado Carlos Redondo

My Play-Asia referral link.
    Great people I've dealt with that haven't left me feedback:
    SaturnFan, Proffesser, Rugal2000, SuperPang, elbarto, TheIrishMan, Duddyroar, japangamesnow, Dreamstationx, Dogtoy, Rising Tackle, D-Lite

Timid Neo Newbie

hi

i am new and i cant post new topic, why?
    thanks

FUCKSTICK MODERATOR.
    Misanthrope

Chasing the Pfhor around L'howon with SPNKR in hand...

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbogard View Post
    hi

thanks
    Really? THIS IS YOUR CONTRIBUTION to this thread?

Rotterdam Nation Resident
    They call me Quiet. But I'm a Riot. Mary-Jo-Lisa. Always the same. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbogard View Post
    hi

thanks
    BAN

Pupil of Bonus-Kun

Hell I use to work at EB ages ago. trade-ins were great
    Last edited by sandman686; 01-30-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Atari made extension cords for the Atari 5200 joysticks. These extension cords fit Neo-Geo AES joysticks. You just have to remove some of the plastic molding on the side that plugs into the console.

~Anselm~

lol people using this thread to get their postcount up

Neo Bubble Buster

probably mentioned or known but the MVS knows the last 8 games used in it. It keeps the information for financial reasons (arcade owners book keeping/ deciding which cart is more profitable to keep in).

If you just drop a NEO one slot into a Jamma cab with more than 3 buttons the D button doesn't work this is wired in a different way to other large button numbered boards/systems

Never knew these till i owned one and started reading the manual and playing around with it.

Quick Question my MVS has the choice of Spanish or English language so im guessing this makes it European? Ive noticed red blood in samurai showdown 3 so hopefully there wont be any censoring on other stuff.

*Account control passed
    on to Tony's family.

Ex Romstar & SnK Employee

Almost, Ker. You may have a bad wired cabinet. The select buttons are wired to pins 26 and d, which would correspond to player buttons 5, if they existed. Means your cabin has a pin short there.
    Fallen Player Remembrance: Known by all as an ex SNK and Romstar employee, Antonio "Nightmare Tony" Gonzalez was always helpful to other people, upbeat in chatting with people, and was a source of truth.

"My biggest dream in life? To build black plywood habitrails"

Neo Bubble Buster

when i got the cab it had a cps1 with pang 3 on it I imagine it once had street fighter 2 in it as it has 6 buttons and a kick harness. (the place my brother got it from had a street fighter 2 in the same type of cab for more money and broken)

The D button works now as i changed the wiring ... my cabs been a sort of project clean it up get a neo in it get it working how i want. Ive left the kick harness inside and such and left 6 buttons on it just encase i ever want to use it for something else.

*Account control passed
    on to Tony's family.

Ex Romstar & SnK Employee

Ah, ok. The SF2wiring is typically 3 buttons with the extra harness being the other 3, so the "d" button would not correspond to button 4. IF it jumpered to position 6, that would explain the fun.

For me, I have a 3 button test panel but I dont do 6 button since I cannot stand fighting games myself. (my fave neo geo games are mostly puzzle games and some fun one slike windjammers and thrash rally
    Fallen Player Remembrance: Known by all as an ex SNK and Romstar employee, Antonio "Nightmare Tony" Gonzalez was always helpful to other people, upbeat in chatting with people, and was a source of truth.

"My biggest dream in life? To build black plywood habitrails"

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by kernow View Post
    lol people using this thread to get their postcount up
    ...how ironic...

Just so I don't do the same thing; if you hold in A B C D on an AES controller number two, and hit the reset button, you will bring up a controller test screen. It's a binary check for every controller function. Great for a fast check of new controllers, extension cables, or to simply shut your friend up when he SWEARS you just beat him because his controller wasn't working right.

~Anselm~

Quote Originally Posted by Anselm View Post
    ...how ironic...

Just so I don't do the same thing; if you hold in A B C D on an AES controller number two, and hit the reset button, you will bring up a controller test screen. It's a binary check for every controller function. Great for a fast check of new controllers, extension cables, or to simply shut your friend up when he SWEARS you just beat him because his controller wasn't working right.

~Anselm~
    Hey Anselm, welcome to the forum and please feel free to lick my balls.

Thread Information