100,000 + 1 things you never new about neo

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Here's a fun fact:

The Esaka theme from KOF 95 (Funky Esaka) is basically a re-worked Brecker Brothers tune called "Skunk Funk." Compare for yourselves (the cadence in Skunk Funk around the 0:24 mark is really noticeable):

Also the AST verion can be found here:

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
I don't know if anyone posted this or not but since I just got an AES last night I found out the reset button is the same as the joystick buttons.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Going to have to get into aes to check this out for myself!
neo-geo-aes-console-set.jpg
looks like the top is flatter on the console?
can someone verify?I really don't have hundreds of dollars to spare right now.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I don't know if anyone posted this or not but since I just got an AES last night I found out the reset button is the same as the joystick buttons.

Going to have to get into aes to check this out for myself!

You're going to get into AES collecting just to see if the reset button is the same as the joystick buttons?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
it took me a second to remember that, I can't.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I searched, but couldn't find this mentioned elsewhere.

The Last Resort high score screen is an homage to hip hop. I texted my buddy Jim who helped me begin filling in the gaps.

lrhighscore.jpg

Ice-T
Public Enemy
X Clan
MC Tucker
2 Live Crew
Boogie Down Productions
Zulu Nation
Lee Graffiti Artist
Da Lench Mob

Let's figure out the rest.

Edit: It seems like we got all of them, but I think the graffiti artist seems out of place.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I searched, but couldn't find this mentioned elsewhere.

The Last Resort high score screen is an homage to hip hop. I texted my buddy Jim who helped me begin filling in the gaps.

View attachment 31806

Ice-T
Public Enemy
X? - X Clan?
MCT?
2 Live Crew
Boogie Down Productions
Zulu Nation
LEE? - Lee Graffiti Artist?
MOB?

Let's figure out the rest.

Goodie mob was big when last resort came out, so I would say goodie mob is MOB if your theory holds up

Edit: also maybe for MCT would be MC T. Tucker very relevant in 91/92 same time as the game release

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Goodie mob was big when last resort came out, so I would say goodie mob is MOB if your theory holds up

Edit: also maybe for MCT would be MC T. Tucker very relevant in 91/92 same time as the game release

Goodie Mob's debut LP dropped in '95, so no go on that one.

MC T Tucker and DJ Irv!!

BOUNCE.

I'm from Louisiana-how the hale did I miss *that* one. Well played, West!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I think I got the last one:

Ice Cube had an affiliate group, in the early 90s...

Da Lench Mob.

VICTOLY!

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Nice, it seems like we have them all. After finding this, I want to check more high score tables.

So was it a lone developer that slipped this in at the last minute? Maybe the dev team held a vote to rank their favorite artists? Or, they could just be random shout outs in no particular order.

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
Last edited:

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
I never knew that after helping one of my buddies pick up a Neo Mini cab that I'd want one so badly. SO LITTLE lol

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Think I posted these years ago.

Early US and JPN versions of Riding Hero MVS kits came with large cloth banners.

qbUzf6I.jpg

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
An oldschool neo geo stick fits perfectly into a girl's private place....

just in case you guys wanted to know it...

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
For those who haven't seen this before. BUNG made a ROM loader cart for Neo back in the 90s. A decent amount of early titles were supported, but load times are a nightmare. I finally did a video of the cart to show how it works.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
For those who haven't seen this before. BUNG made a ROM loader cart for Neo back in the 90s. A decent amount of early titles were supported, but load times are a nightmare. I finally did a video of the cart to show how it works.

Looks like the load times are still better than the neo cd.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Looks like the load times are still better than the neo cd.

It really is. Cool Bung device to see, though. Shame about its overheating. I wonder what the cost was at the time of release.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
It really is. Cool Bung device to see, though. Shame about its overheating. I wonder what the cost was at the time of release.

I have old game mags with it advertised in the back, but those are packed away... I remember it being very expensive.

Yeah, I should experiment a bit with cooling. It lasts a little more than 10 minutes before you feel the heat billowing out of the vents. Once it starts glitching out, you have to power it down to cool before you can play glitch free. I originally though my roms were bad until I realized letting it sit for about 5 minutes stopped the glitches.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Interesting device, especially considering when it was made. Thank you for sharing.

How did one get the floppies back in the day? Could you somehow read out a cart or what?
And how does it work technically? How long does the rom you loaded up in the cart?

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza

Very intersting Turfy, thanks for the share.