100,000 + 1 things you never new about neo

MissFaith

New Challenger
I just sat here and read this entire thread straight, so much great info.

I have also gone through the whole thread, some wonderful random info. Certainly feel a little more schooled.

The only little fact that springs to mind is SNK changed the name of KOF 98 to KOF: Dream Match 99 when it was ported to Dreamcast. Have no idea why they did this as they also ported KOF 99 to Dreamcast.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I have also gone through the whole thread, some wonderful random info. Certainly feel a little more schooled.

The only little fact that springs to mind is SNK changed the name of KOF 98 to KOF: Dream Match 99 when it was ported to Dreamcast. Have no idea why they did this as they also ported KOF 99 to Dreamcast.

It was released as "King of Fighters: Evolution"

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Probably because it was released in 1999 and noone wanted to play a game from last year? Just a wild guess, but oh well.

Agreed. Yet, oddly enough, KOF: Maximum Impact 2 was renamed to "King of Fighters 2006" when it was released in the states. It's interesting that they dropped the year in one instance, yet added it in another. Perhaps it's simply publisher preference/taste at the time of release in addition to how they think the market will react to the yearly aspect of the title.

Last edited:

MissFaith

New Challenger
Probably because it was released in 1999 and noone wanted to play a game from last year? Just a wild guess, but oh well.

That makes sense I guess, just one of those marketing ploys. :)

Agreed. Yet, oddly enough, KOF: Maximum Impact 2 was renamed to "King of Fighters 2006" when it was released in the states. It's interesting that they dropped the year in one instance, yet added it in another. Perhaps it's simply publisher preference/taste at the time of release in addition to how they think the market will react to the yearly aspect of the title.

I bet they do blind name tests and marketing research before releasing games. Like they do with TV/Films and test audiences. You can imagine it, some dweeb with a clipboard asking spotty teens about their logo and name choices.

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
That makes sense I guess, just one of those marketing ploys. :)

I bet they do blind name tests and marketing research before releasing games. Like they do with TV/Films and test audiences. You can imagine it, some dweeb with a clipboard asking spotty teens about their logo and name choices.

I personally have done them at EA

Snakealpha

n00b
I dont know if its already known, but here we go:

Japanese PSx KOF 98 had 2 different covers: the "classic edition" with Kyo (open eyes) and the "extremely limited edition" with Kyo (closed eyes).

selfReg

n00b
I dont know if its already known, but here we go:

Japanese PSx KOF 98 had 2 different covers: the "classic edition" with Kyo (open eyes) and the "extremely limited edition" with Kyo (closed eyes).

holy goddamn I need that.

shadowtek

n00b
Someone talked about the Greek of Neo Geo earlier in this post and that it was actually Greek not latin. So I dusted off my highschool Greek and turns out it would be Neos Ge which means New Earth or Neos means- New/Fresh/Young and Ge means earth and it's often changed/used as Geo in English. Pronouncing it in Greek it would sound like Nay-aus(think pronouncing Aus like in Aussie) -Jay(like the letter J but softer Ja sound that's almost a Y), which is kinda cool. The Greek letters are neos- vu, epsilon, omega, sigma and Ge - Gamma Eta.

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
There's actually unused code in Samurai Shodown 2 for Tam Tam, which was obviously never finished.

The More You Know™

TLKrauser

n00b
i didn't know that most of the neogeo game publishers "studios" were in fact members of the SNK team who set up fictitious teams to create games because no publisher wanted to make games on NEO.
Like the publishers who released their game on Nintendo or Sega.

flat6

n00b
Neo Drift Out prominently features a Toyota Celica GT-Four. In-game it's the 6th gen Celica (notably with four oval head lights), but the print literature often features the 5th gen (pop-up head lights).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've been listening to Tung Fu Rue's arranged FF Special theme the past few days:

And today I woke up and thought, wait, he's Chinese, but Tung Fu Rue is a bastardized spelling. What's his real name?

So his real name is 糖胡芦 (Táng Húlú), which is a pun on the northern Chinese snack 糖葫芦 (tánghúlu), where fruits - usually hawthorns - are put on skewers and coated in a sugary syrup that eventually hardens. Eaten in winter usually so the syrup hardens and doesn't leave a mess. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanghulu

61688933.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this information.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Someone at Nazca/SNK designed a Metal Slug 2 logo in the vein of the Neon Genesis Evangelion logo. The picture comes from the Neo Geo CD version of Metal Slug 2.

yzjWcW5.jpg