100,000 + 1 things you never new about neo

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ah yes, here we go again!

This thread is sticky now, enjoy folks (and keep on adding stuff)!

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Madmanjock said:
The words Ne-O Ge-O sound like they are being musicly said in the start up screen (when the logo flips around), just hear it to see what I mean...

MarrymeMai said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one ever to hear this. And the rest of the "bells" sound out, "From SNK!" Seriously.

This is chilling stuff. I think that whenever I play a SNK game now.

(P.S sorry for the 3 year delay in replying to your post)

Last edited:
Here are some useless SamShoII facts:
According to the stage of Genjuro there is a large NeoGeo sign on the moon.
In the NeoGeoCD version of SamShoII you can play as Kuroko (the referee-guy) by standing on some character, pressing up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, blablabla or something. His weapon are the flags he always uses and he has a big fireball as in Art of Fighting style.
Oh, you can only play as Kuroko in a vs match btw

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Screaming sounds from Metal Slug are used in South Park in the scene where Chef dies.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
arathorn@dds.nl said:
In the NeoGeoCD version of SamShoII you can play as Kuroko (the referee-guy) by standing on some character, pressing up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, blablabla or something. His weapon are the flags he always uses and he has a big fireball as in Art of Fighting style.
Oh, you can only play as Kuroko in a vs match btw

Yeah on controller 2 only in VS its up, down, left, up, down, right, A.

His BG is the body perfection measurement thing (to UK viewers Panorama), I cant remember who devised the math for it.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
Cnidarian said:
Well, in the back of the manual for some dog tag carts, it says, "This product can only be used on the NEO GEO Rental System."

Perhaps because of the high price it was used mainly as a rental machine?
If so, I wonder where you could have went to rent one...

<small>[ January 29, 2003, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Cnidarian ]</small>

It was originally introduced for hotels (and the like) since it was so expensive. Therefore "rental machine".
The only other machine I know which was produced for a very special market (an airline) was the Megajet ("handheld" Mega Drive without screen and no batteries - so it was pretty much only a console with a controller in it.).

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
One-Up said:
It was originally introduced for hotels (and the like) since it was so expensive. Therefore "rental machine".
No - the NGH system was initially rental only - you couldn't buy it in the shops, but SNK gave way to demand and released it to buy after a few months.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
I remember hearing this a while ago in a thread here...

AOF 2 (i believe) has time release secrets/events. Something happens, I believe on Ryo's, Roberts, etc. birthdays. I'd find the thread, but the search is broken right now.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
Moose said:
I remember hearing this a while ago in a thread here...

AOF 2 (i believe) has time release secrets/events. Something happens, I believe on Ryo's, Roberts, etc. birthdays. I'd find the thread, but the search is broken right now.
Interesting. Search is working just fine for me, by the way.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Moose said:
So in essence.... Sonic Advance was made by SNK:buttrock:
I just always kind of assumed they were made by the same old Game Gear/Master System team.

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
Perhaps this is common knowledge but here goes:
The only reason I was able to beat Sengoku 1 on AES was because of a ridiculous exploit trick I accidentally found: jumping constantly. If you get a up a power up ball, the new sword won't form in your hands till you stop jumping! So you get the most time out of every power up in the game because you chose when to activate the next one.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Hope this one wasn't posted. But this ones for the noobs.

You don't need to hack a neo controller to make a neo controller.

neoxerxes

n00b
In Metal Slug X, if you use a debug BIOS, you can access "secret" incomplete-looking levels that appear to be level areas used in Metal Slug 3! You can wander around these levels and use vehicles such as a submarine and gyrocopter just like in MS3. If you were wondering why the meg count increased by over 100 between Metal Slug 2 and X, then this is your answer. There are also other debugging features that you can toggle on and off while exploring the areas.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Hope this one wasn't posted. But this ones for the noobs.

You don't need to hack a neo controller to make a neo controller.

?

and neoXerXes, you can do this in MS3 too.

its a pretty cool debug mode

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
You don't need to hack a Neo controller to make a Neo Arcade Stick.

isn't that pretty bloody obvious?

its like saying 'you don't have to hack a snes controller to make a snes controller'

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
kernow said:
isn't that pretty bloody obvious?

its like saying 'you don't have to hack a snes controller to make a snes controller'

I used to be a Neo noob, and I would have never known that.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Using a Princess Stick will lower you score by an average of %10.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Nightmare Tony said:
One kewl thread in here :)

Kernow, Forever did remmeber right. If you have a schematic to any Neo geo system, it will have Alpha Denshi on it, along with their head wildman, Eiji Fukatsu. The system he actually did as a full board previously, first starting with a game called Battlefield (renamed to Time Soldiers). Romstar had the board redone also as Sky Soldiers and Gold Medalist. Sky Adventure also used the same system.

As a general rule, graphic systems of the time used a background graphics, text and sprite graphics. Eiji instead used the sprites as tiles for the background, making programming and circuit design a tad simpler.

The US president Marty was also an accomplished musician, magician and movie actor. Kept that to himself, though. Amazing talents.

John Barone ended up marrying Susan Jarocki, who's dad Stan Jarocki ran this company called Bally-Midway. Games ran in that family, I guess.

The tech department was an absolute blast. Between big band music, Rush Limbaugh, death metal and some absolutely wierd music, it was noisy and fun. For the entire US branch, though as Chad mentions, us being a broken arm, we did the best we could and had a lot of fun doing it.

One competition which was a full tradition was a daily tech depamrtment competition of Thrash rally set up in 4 cabinets. I had my own cabinet modified with a steering wheel (showed at a trade show but no interest) which helped out immensely. The competition was quite insane and we all had a real good time.

Romstar had been tied in with SNK back and forth, from being originally SNK USA to employees trading back and forth. At least 5 employees of Romstar (including yours truly) ended up at SNK at various times.

Late night shipping runs included major pizza party action. We all worked like bulldogs and got the product out the door. When shipping time came round, RUSH was the order of the day.

The Samurai Shodown trade advertisement with several people worshipping a cabinet with the "we're not worthy" included Game Lord, his sidekick George, some of the warehouse crew and the two sons of our graphics artist.

The funniest program bomb I ever ran across personally was from a curious invention I was doing, to make a Neo Geo into a redemption game, giving out tickets. It had some good interest at the show and it earned like mad at the local test arcade. Then one morning, a bit of forgotten programming showed itself when the ticket photocell got dirty and gave out over 7,000 tickets. Whoops! (the program rewrite didnt finish as that is when the closure announcement came in).

Neo Geo is actually LATIN for "New World".

awesome post Tony. You always have the best info.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
A question.... outside dimps, wasn't Arc System also formed by SNK employees?