What do you think is the WORST handheld ever released?

What do you think is the WORST handheld game system?

• GameBoy/GameBoy Color

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • GameBoy Advance

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • GameGear

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • GP32 (GamePark)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Tiger game.com

Votes: 218 45.8%
  • Atari Lynx (I/II)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • NGP/NGPC

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • NGage

Votes: 161 33.8%
  • Sega Nomad

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Turbo Express

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Virtual Boy

Votes: 49 10.3%
  • Wonderswan

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Definitely the Virtual Boy

Any system that takes decades off of your eyesight has to be considered one of the worst of all time!

set2134

New Challenger
Im amazes me so many people think the N-gage is WAF.
I owned one and apart from having to hold it to the side of your head like a cornish pasty to answer the phone it is preety good.
There isnt many games out for it at the moment but they have alot coming soon. I think Nokia are trying hard to get it right as so many people moaned about the design flaws on the n-gage, Thats why i sold mine to get the N-gage QD playing peopel online with it is good as well lots of cool challenges and lots of prizes :p
I voted Tiger game.com this deserves the WAF award :tickled:

http://ngage.allack.co.uk/Extras/N-Gage_Hardware/N-Gage_QD_Sim_Free.htm

TheGornWay

n00b
Come on the Tiger R-Zone is the worst. Its what happens when you take the cheapest crappest Tiger handheld games and fuse them with the Virtual Boy's red tint, and finish it off with a shitty visor you put around you head.

Last edited:

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Game.Com is hands down THE worst of the lot. I have both a N-Gage and a Game.Com and there simply isn't any comparison, the N-Gage pwns the Game.Com for free. Don't get me wrong, the N-Gage is craptacular in it's own way but it's leagues ahead of the Game.Com on just about everything.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
I always was curious about the game.com, but never played it. But the N-gage didn't attracted me in any way, even curiosity.

I have curiosity about GP32, I never had a chance to play it, even teh romz. Anybody knows a compreensive guide about it (that registration issues, link, functions etc?)

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Galford Forever said:
I haven't played them all, but I hated the Game Gear... washed out backlighting, huge/heavy system, and poor battery life. Not my cup o tea.
I can't belive I havent seen this thread untill now. But I just pulled my Game.com out the other day after finding it still in it's box. And played a couple games on it. Duke Nuke and Williams Arcade. God I'm right with you. It was a toss up between Game.com and N-Gage. But hands down Game.com wins by a land fill ;)
Sound on the system sucks, graphic quality awful, crapy conversion of games. I think the only game worth playing on the system is Lights Out. I love playing that game.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
The N-Gage for sure. Worst portable system out there. Flopped faster then even the Virtual Boy. The only difference is that Nintendo knew when to give up, but Nokie is making the N-Gage QD. Don't these guys know when to give up? You failed and suck, so now go back to making phones.

ChrisC

New Challenger
" I ordered a Tiger Game.com not a brick.....what...THIS IS IT!!!"

Tiger game.com is the worst for me. I wouldnt order one....again :spock:

P

pixelator

I can see a lot of people really DISLIKE the Nokia N-Gage, but the logic placing it above the GAME.COM as WORST handheld made is flawed. It may indeed be the most disliked, but it's certainly not the worst from a technical or practical standpoint.

* The first NG was indeed poorly designed, but even that one had some decent games and a good color screen. That model is gone - the QD is it, now.

* The QD was VERY WELL received at E3 (I was there - some of the games were amazing considering the power of the unit itself). There was a ton of activity at the Nokia area and gobs of nice looking games in the pipe. They made no bones about admitting the original model sucked and that the new one had much-needed redesigns.

* Like it or not, the Nokia has some pretty decent developer support at this point - better than the Zodiac, GP32 or even the NGPC when it was around (SNK never had as big a presence at E3 as Nokia did this year).

That said, the GAME.COM was a pathetic attempt at a kid-targeted system that implied wireless connectivity with its trendy "dot-com" name. Like its namesakes, it flopped big-time, and rightly so. The original NG hasn't done well, but this newer version with its $99 pricetag is set to command the cell-based gaming market for 2004 and 2005. That niche is growing fast.

For the people who voted the VirtuaBoy as worst, whatever with that. Sure, it lacked many good games and isn't a true handheld, but it's actual for-real 3D, funky reddish graphics and just screams 'funky coolness'. True about getting a headache if you play it too much, though. And why is the GP32 even ON a 'worst ever' poll list? I've got a GP32 BLU on order - it's currently the best handheld gaming platform available right now (the Zodiac is just too much money, and its impressive 8MB ATI Imageon chip is crippled by multimedia-unfriendly PalmOS), unless you're a hardcore flash linker and have a GBA SP.

A distant runner-up for crappiest game handheld definitely is the GameGear. That blurry (blurry?? on an LCD??) and washed-out display simply sucked. There were some good games, but what's a good game when the heavy, battery-sucking system has a display that makes you tear up just looking at it? It wasn't until I started playing some old GG games on my PocketPC that I was able to appreciate those old titles (there were good ones - the import Godzilla game was awesome).

Last edited:

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I can't beleive that noone has listed the Quickshot Supervision, which is truly the worst handheld ever released.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Game.com, even the back-lit pocket version was crap! :(

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
J0e Musashi said:
I can't beleive that noone has listed the Quickshot Supervision, which is truly the worst handheld ever released.

I think it was U.K only!!!

motoslave

n00b
If those crappy Mattel Electronics Football II and Baseball games were never released (and rereleased...why who the heck knows), I'd vote for the Game.com

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
realgameplay said:
I think it was U.K only!!!
The 'Quickshot' SuperVision was UK only (I think) but it was released elsewhere as the 'Watara SuperVision'.
Wanna talk real obscure?
What about the 'Creatronic MegaDuck'? Like a SuperVision, but shaped like a gameboy.
I thought I'd already nominated both of those anyway?
*shrugs*
Anyway, why hasn't anyone mentioned the Cybiko??
They are super-sucky!

RENT-A-HERO

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
That's my first post! Wow! Ok, ok... I voted for... Game.com! I bought one with Sonic and Fighters Megamix, and they aren't the games i played on Saturn. Sound, grafic and controls are very bad...

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
this is how i see it although i could not choose between the crapiest of systems...

Gameboy/gba/gbc- at the time each were made they were very good, however at the current time only gba is worthwhile.

Ngpc/ngp- both insanly good, but obv. ngpc is better than ngp.

wonderswan- good but not so many good games

Ngage-CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, but i give them props for trying.

Game.com- P.O.S, however at the time it was'nt the crappiest of systems.

Virtual Boy- GARBAGE.

r-zone-GARBAGE.

Game gear- way ahead of it's time, but can't compete w/ battery life of today.

All other unadressed systems- i have'nt played.

But of the lot i would have to say Virtual boy, and heres why...
it kills your eyesight,kills your batteries/drives up electric bill,games suck, and you look like a fuckin fag while your playing. But thats just my opinion.

Kumavnmitsurugi

Marked Wolf
I vote Game king!
Seriously does anyone have this? its a pirated chinese system and it absoulutely Sucks!

But a Virtual Boy isn't really portable, is it? ;)

I've got an N-Gage, but only because of the MP3 player. The control of the games is really shitty. The games also, at least until now. For example Sonic N is only a simple conversion of Sonic Advance 1 for GBA, who was released a few years ago.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
I just dont know how anyone could have voted for the Virtual Boy!
I mean have they actually played it?
Yeah it makes you feel sick! But its an amazing technical effort! The screen is the most advanced form of red L.E.D ever made, and if it hadn't been so expensive, they would have sandwiched three panels (red, green and blue) and given us a 3D L.E.D screen in full colour!!!!!!
Just think about how this little f**ker works?
2 screens showing slightly different images to trick your brain into thinking its seeing an actual 3D image (just like your eyes do).
It's such a good idea, I'm amazed that it's not been done with backlit TFT today!
How good would it be to actually have glasses like those awful Olympus EyeTrek glasses, but with two scrrens built-in and genuine 3D?

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I'd be interested to know who voted for GBA! :blow_top:

I'm waiting for some explanation because voting for the GBA is like voting for the Neo as the worst home system. :oh_no:

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
Well based on the available chioces, I pick the Came.com.

But really, the worst hanheld of all time is the turd known as the Milton Bradley Microvision! Seriously, most of you are probably to young to remember, bit it had a one inch sreen and only a knob for a controller. Truly sucky.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
VOTED!

Tiger game.com

"I could shit better graphics and mastrubate better play mechanics."

MERCENARY X99