What do you think is the WORST handheld ever released?

What do you think is the WORST handheld game system?

• GameBoy/GameBoy Color

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • GameBoy Advance

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • GameGear

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • GP32 (GamePark)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Tiger game.com

Votes: 218 45.8%
  • Atari Lynx (I/II)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • NGP/NGPC

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • NGage

Votes: 161 33.8%
  • Sega Nomad

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Turbo Express

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Virtual Boy

Votes: 49 10.3%
  • Wonderswan

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters

Denus

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I want to add this:
How can we compare a handheld from 1998 (Lynx, Gameboy) with a new N-Gage or Gameboy Advance SP?

Of course, the batteries were empty too fast, and of course, those handhelds were too heavy!

But my PC at that time was not that fast either, my TV was not a widescreen with surround and DVD, and the Nintendo 8 bit was not as cool as the Xbox is now...

DUH :spock:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
You know you can still like the NGPC and the GBA at the same time. And how could the GBA be worse then the GBC?

Ugh, nevermind. It's probably impossible to reason with anyone who uses Cloud Strife as their avatar on a message board.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
WHAT THE FUCKIN' FUCK.

What moron voted for WONDERSWAN? FUCKIN' FESS UP!

Ever since Bandai pulled out, the games are really cheap (you can get boxed/new games for $15 shipped via EMS, HK to USA), the SwanCrystal has a REALLY good screen, you can play it vertically, and you get around 30 hours on ONE BATTERY!

Oh yeah, name one other handheld with Pocket Fighter on it. I'm waiting........

I voted for Game.com. In 5th grade, I bought one in the bargain bin for $30 with Lights Out. And I had to take it back to the store because it CRASHED (I think it doesn't like being a phone book, cause every time I put more than 15 or so names in it the G.c would freeze) no less than 4 times, meaning I owned 5 units or more (thank God for reciepts). The last one I owned, my friend was borrowing it for a weekend, then he calls me on the phone. I remember what he said:

"I was playing Fighters Megamix and the phone rang. So I paused it, when I came back the screen was shattered and it was making some sort of buzzing noise. I couldn't turn it off so I took out the batteries."

What kinda system KILLS ITSELF WHEN IT'S PAUSED?!

BTW I definately think NGage is a bit better, at least in an emergency you can call 911 on it. Oh but wait, you can surf the internet through DELPHI (who uses that anymore??) and telnet into 911 at 28.8kbps on the game.com! How silly of me to forget. :very_ang:

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
i voted for Wonderswan.
mainly because the buttons are to low and close to the screen.

i have scratched my ws screen because of this.

also, most of the games you need a good knowledge of japaneses to understand

Lone_Monster

Kula's Candy
I just have to say it. You people are on crack. The people voted for the good systems, I mean. Who ever the hell voted for the GP32 must not even know what one is. That thing is so damn cool. Second, why the hell bother voting for the WonderSwan/SwanCrystal because it's in Japanese? I mean, it's a friggin Japanese only system! Idiots. Oh, and last, man, you guys must be on some serious drugs to pick the Game Boy Systems. I'd understand if you don't like it since it rivals the NGPC, but I mean, what the fuck? The Game Boy is definately in a tie with NGPC for my favorite handheld, as it has some great games. So.... PICK THE GOD DAMN N-GAGE!!! Ok, I'm done. Really I am.

gatsu25

Galford's Armourer
This is easy, Game.com!
anyone who thinks the Ngage is worse has obviously never played the game.com. There are already tons of better games for the Ngage compared to this hunk of junk.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
WHAT THE FUCKIN' FUCK.

What moron voted for WONDERSWAN? FUCKIN' FESS UP!

Ever since Bandai pulled out, the games are really cheap (you can get boxed/new games for $15 shipped via EMS, HK to USA), the SwanCrystal has a REALLY good screen, you can play it vertically, and you get around 30 hours on ONE BATTERY!

Oh yeah, name one other handheld with Pocket Fighter on it. I'm waiting........

I voted for Game.com. In 5th grade, I bought one in the bargain bin for $30 with Lights Out. And I had to take it back to the store because it CRASHED (I think it doesn't like being a phone book, cause every time I put more than 15 or so names in it the G.c would freeze) no less than 4 times, meaning I owned 5 units or more (thank God for reciepts). The last one I owned, my friend was borrowing it for a weekend, then he calls me on the phone. I remember what he said:

"I was playing Fighters Megamix and the phone rang. So I paused it, when I came back the screen was shattered and it was making some sort of buzzing noise. I couldn't turn it off so I took out the batteries."

What kinda system KILLS ITSELF WHEN IT'S PAUSED?!

BTW I definately think NGage is a bit better, at least in an emergency you can call 911 on it. Oh but wait, you can surf the internet through DELPHI (who uses that anymore??) and telnet into 911 at 28.8kbps on the game.com! How silly of me to forget. :very_ang:

The screen shattered? Sounds like Satan got trapped inside or something.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
abdul said:
i voted for Wonderswan.
mainly because the buttons are to low and close to the screen.

i have scratched my ws screen because of this.

also, most of the games you need a good knowledge of japaneses to understand

well at least you fessed up, props for that :buttrock:.

You rate the Game.com even HIGHER though?

Q

qube

Funny thread D!

I notice no one is voting for the NGP/NGPC :tickled: Yet they will vote GBA/GBC/Wonderswan/Game Gear/GP32?? WTF? Fanboyz in da hizouse!!

I like most handheld systems, as I'm sure we all do, but how can some of you vote for the GBA, Nomad, and so on and so fourth. I kind of think this one is a no-brainer...

Q-

BTW....I voted Game.com:emb:

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
This system sucks!!! "Tiger game.com" Ive played it as my friend use to own 2 systems and about 10 games. I played Resident Evil for it. What can I say about that. :eek_2:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
seriously though, as much as some of you hate to admit, GameBoy popularized handheld gaming and the GBA sp is an excellent successor, especially with all the 2D fanboys running around this place (myself included :buttrock: )

Last edited:

simplyowned2501

New Challenger
Originally posted by the roker
I think these particular selections go against what is wrong with a handheld system

a) too big
b) batteries are killer
c) bulky and/or heavy

at least the other entries are small and light.
Don't forget...A library full of remedial games made for people with down syndrome. :loco: That's a biggie, y'know?:spock:

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
DanAdamKOF said:
well at least you fessed up, props for that :buttrock:.

You rate the Game.com even HIGHER though?

never played one

RVF400

Host for Orochi
i have an n-gage, it was free!, i only need my phone for making calls and i was offered this by vodafone when my old contract ended, its not great but i can play 1942 via emame when im catching the bus to work!, and it plays my MP3s as ringtones, you gotta see the looks i get when ESAKA (you know kyos theme by snkguitarist) goes off in my pocket, its just brilliant, can't complain really as a phone.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Has anyone mentioned the Quickshot Supervision, or the Creatronic Mega-Duck?
They are both super-sucky. At least the Game.com has good sound!

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
[OCEAN] said:
I was tempted to give my vote to the shitty Ngage, but being realistic, nothing, absolutely NOTHING is worse than the Tiger Game.com. Has anyone played sonic jam on it??? duh:shame:

I also think Nintendo's Virtual Boy shouldn't be considered as a handheld... and I don't know why it gets so much hate. Ok, so it isn't a great system AT ALL, but it has some great games and it's quite unique.

[OCEAN]

Too right!
The VB is superb, I only wish they'd made the 'colour' version!
But even so, the red LED screen is the most complex LED display I've ever come across! (I love red LED). The games are great, the quality is excellent, the 3D works......
Only problem is the sickness, dizzyness, and fitting!

Ahchay

Marked Wolf
Flame me big time...

My first instinct on seeing this thread was to vote for the GBA. Now, give me a chance to explain why, then you can flame me all you like.

Two quick points to open...

Games: Yup, there's some good ones. But there is a shedload of utter dross. This might be a slightly unfair accusation (victim of it's own success and all that) but still. I'm also getting slightly peeved with Nintendo's habit of releasing marginally reworked SNES games for the bloody thing.

Controls: Quite simply - awful. It's been 20 years since the Game & Watch, why the hell am I still using a zero-tactile-response D-pad? The NGPC managed to fit a decent joystick into a handheld, so has the GP32 - it's not too much to ask for.

And then the biggie...

I quite simply don't think that the GBA represents 10 years of improvements over the original Gameboy. Nintendo 0\/\//\/ the handheld market, and they know it. They have repeatedly and consistently done "just enough" to keep the gameboy current and the GBA (or the SP) is the just the latest iteration of that single design decision. It's a machine built by marketing forces - the forces in question being "How long can we milk the last iteration of this hardware before we *have* to replace it?".

And this last point is the key - we would have seen the GBA at least two years earlier if not for the success of Pokémon. In fact, I don't think we would have seen the GBA at all if it hadn't been for the NGPC and the Wonderswan - both machines which managed to successfully take market share away from Nintendo before being scuppered (at least partially) by rumours of a "super game boy".

The GBA is, quite simply, not a 21st century device - we should all be using something as powerful as the GP32 or even whisper it, the NGage (Nokia may have made some really terrible design decisions, but you can't deny the raw grunt of the beastie) by now. We've also got the PSP just around the corner, with (at least) PSone level performance. I'm expecting a new gameboy press release any minute now - any takers for Ninty adding a screen to the iQue and announcing a "handheld N64" before the next E3?

Saying all that though, the game.com is a pile of wank. So I'll vote for that...

Cheers
Chris

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Ahchay said:
The GBA is, quite simply, not a 21st century device - we should all be using something as powerful as the GP32 or even whisper it, the NGage (Nokia may have made some really terrible design decisions, but you can't deny the raw grunt of the beastie) by now. We've also got the PSP just around the corner, with (at least) PSone level performance. I'm expecting a new gameboy press release any minute now - any takers for Ninty adding a screen to the iQue and announcing a "handheld N64" before the next E3?

Saying all that though, the game.com is a pile of wank. So I'll vote for that...

Cheers
Chris

You know, you have some good points, but your beef seems to be aimed at the company, rather than the product in question.

If we had to talk bad handhelds, I think something that isn't compact, has a horrible library of games, or kills the batteries quickly, things I think the GBA is not.

I also don't think Sony will release the PSP, while Nintendo sits quietly with their hands in their pockets. Plus Sony isn't going to stroll right in and take away Nintendo's biggest money maker, Nintendo just knows as of right now, there are no serious competitors so there is no need to upgrade.

Personally I prefer the 2D games, but I know this will all change because Sony will most likely adopt a "no 2D" rule to software developers when their system is released. They'll want to make it as if their system is made for the next gen, rather than focus their attention on making great games.

Karai

New Challenger
I voted Game Boy Color I think all of their games are crap and it killed NGPC.
And if you think I'm a Nintendo hater than your wrong.

I think GBA is the best handheld system and NGPC was loads better than Gameboy Color, its a shame NGPC went unnoticed by many.

I love the original game boy. yeah the fat one it was all good though, alot more respectable than Game Boy color.

woot!

Finally! someone else who thinks gameboy sucks!!! *pats on the back* you da man... man!

NGPC is way better now than anything ever will be in the handheld category!

all hail neo geo!

all shit on gameboy!

M

MistressDragon

Tiger game.com what a lousy, no good, peice of shit.

Nothing compares to my nintendo gameboys. and of course the NGPC. ;)