What do you think is the WORST handheld ever released?

What do you think is the WORST handheld game system?

• GameBoy/GameBoy Color

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • GameBoy Advance

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • GameGear

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • GP32 (GamePark)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Tiger game.com

Votes: 218 45.8%
  • Atari Lynx (I/II)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • NGP/NGPC

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • NGage

Votes: 161 33.8%
  • Sega Nomad

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Turbo Express

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Virtual Boy

Votes: 49 10.3%
  • Wonderswan

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
This is the correct response. I will never understand anyone liking or collecting for that peice of shit system.

Meh. I like it because of how unique the thing is, just like the Vectrex. Also the controller is really nice.

Fair enough, still would choose 3 hours in color on a gamegear than any amount of time on a calculator screen. There were some good games on it but the screen ruined it for me.

Thats why the GB Pocket exists.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Guess I'm just that one exception. To me it was like going from color tv back to b/w.

You are clearly a contrarian, sir! :D

The technology just wasn't there to make a decent color handheld at the time. My Game Gear had dead pixels and the battery life that would barely get me through one session.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My exgirlfriend had the worst handhelds I released from.

Voted game.com.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I love me some Virtual Boy too. It has fun games and the console itself is so ridiculously weird. The red graphics have no effect on me, I can play it for hours. In fact they look pretty nice. The LED screens are better than typical internet screenshots.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wonderswan color is pretty economic on battery life, too.

turq

Quiz Detective
Wonderswan color is pretty economic on battery life, too.

On a single AA battery, no less!

Approx. battery life:

Original B&W Wonderswan: 30 - 40 hours
Wonderswan Color: 20 hours
Wonderswan Crystal: 15 hours

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I find it rather disturbing that 9 people voted the Gameboy and Gameboy Color and 6 people voted the Gameboy Advance, I hope they were just being sassy

I actually owned a game gear growing up as a kid and played it alot and have alot of fond memories playing it. I used to think the screen looked awesome and far better than the Game Boy. I recently bought another Game Gear and oh man does the screen look like a blurry smeary piece of crap. It has been recapped and had the tube swapped with LEDs and the screen is still hard to see what is going on. I have to be in a pretty dark room to clearly see the screen. Really wish someone would figure out how to put a modern LCD into a Game Gear and have the picture not look like a postage stamp on it, such a shame because the system actually has a lot of really fun and underrated games on it.

Last edited:

robert-gamble

Armored Scrum Object
Have to say the N-Gage wasn't so bad. The first version was a bit daft with the sidetalking but I liked it and even upgraded to the QD. The portrait screen is a bit daft but it's ok.

The thing is functional and playable unlike stuff like Game.com and Supervision, is quite a bit more comfortable to play than a Lynx and has a better library for English speakers than a Wonderswan..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Gage_(device)#Demos_and_games I maybe 2/3 of those games and enjoyed most of them and thought some were excellent for the time.

robert-gamble

Armored Scrum Object
I also really liked the Virtual Boy. I got one for $25 new when I was on holiday in florida a long time ago. Ended up selling it years later and a few more years later buying another one (for quite a bit more than $25) because I missed it.

Yeah it does make your eyes feel funny after a while but so what. Man up. It's got some great games and offers a unique, and very red, experience.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I voted N-Gage on gut instinct, but I guess I should have looked up the game library compared to the Game.com, which is practically non-existent. The N-Gage just looks so physically ugly though...

robert-gamble

Armored Scrum Object
On the surface the Game.com has a decent library.. I think it had Sonic Jam, Fighters Megamix, Resident Evil 2, Duke Nukem, Mortal Kombat. It had some big name games coming that were cancelled, I think I remember seeing screenshots of Metal Gear Solid.

My brother (a huge Resi fan) bought a Game.com Pocket Pro to play its version of Resident Evil 2. Such an awful system. The screen was worse than the original Gameboys.. Considering it came out quite a while after the GB they must've made a real effort to find screens that terrible. The games ran at some abysmal framerate with the worse motion blur (not the modern "cinematic" kind, the shit LCD kind) imaginable. Completely unplayable.

A couple of interesting handhelds I've not seen mentioned here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybiko , kinda strange wireless thing that they provided a dev environment for. I had one and it was pretty awful but kinda charming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microvision , this is actually the absolute worst handheld ever made and completely unplayable but it was released in 1979 so fair enough.

turq

Quiz Detective
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microvision , this is actually the absolute worst handheld ever made and completely unplayable but it was released in 1979 so fair enough.

This is true.

The 16x16 screen was rather lo-res to say the least, but even worse was it's lag in displaying motion.

The most playable game was Sea Duel, because it didn't depend on reacting to quick motion like the pack-in game Block Buster.

Attachments

• blog1286.jpg
    blog1286.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 137
  • blog1286.jpg
    blog1286.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
the N-gage was actually playable though with graphics on par with the GBA, unlike the Game.com which had a screen that made games completely unplayable.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It wasn't that N-gage was unplayable or anything, it was the sideways taco talking design that spelled its doom.

ahuffman

n00b
Admittedly I have never tried the N-Gage, but the Game. Com is the worst I have played by a long shot. Even the original brick Game Boy screen did not blur like that garbage.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Anyone who posted that the gameboy system was the worst has never, ever, touched a Game.com. That thing is so fucking horrible.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Anyone who posted that the gameboy system was the worst has never, ever, touched a Game.com. That thing is so fucking horrible.

True, I solely judged on the ones I actually got to play.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I've now played a Neo Geo Pocket, Color and Color Slim. Yes I will seriously mention them in a thread like this.

The original Neo Geo Pocket has a horribly shitty screen, very blurry and the monochrome makes the games very difficult to perceive. No wonder it had maybe 8 games of its own. It's so bad it made games like Samurai Shodown 2 and Metal Slug 1st mission seem awful. If NGP was a separate option, I'd consider voting for it here.

The Color and Slim are both absolutely amazing, zero blur and very accepting of nearby light. The added color makes all the games easy to look at too. They're the total opposite of the original, very playable and loads of fun.

I haven't had the dishonor of playing a Game.com, but going by the various videos and hearsay, it's probably the worst of all.

WonderSwan any good? Or is it like playing the Japanese-y games on NGPC? (aka a culturally acquired taste)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It depends. There's the original b&w WonderSwan, WonderSwan Color, and the SwanCrystal. Unfortunately I only have the WonderSwan Color so I can't compare amongst those three.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I had a Game.com when I was a kid and I loved it at the time (kids are stupid), I also had an N-gage QD when I was a teenager and it was one of the best phones I have ever had and had some great online multiplayer games at the time like Worms and Pocket Kingdom.

From the list I have owned every one listed apart from the Turbo Express and Virtua Boy (so I can't comment on those) and the worst by far has to be the Gamegear. I could just never get on with that horrible blurry screen, it is certainly not portable and buying batteries or trying to not make the AC adaptor stay connected when playing was always a pain.

Just a note, I was a Sega kid all my childhood. I love the SMS, Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast, I could just never get on with their attempt at a handheld.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It depends. There's the original b&w WonderSwan, WonderSwan Color, and the SwanCrystal. Unfortunately I only have the WonderSwan Color so I can't compare amongst those three.

I prefer the NGPC over the Wonderswan, but the WS does have better hardware.

There's probably only a handful of english-friendly games on the WS. It's great machine, but the games are a struggle if you have no Jp background.
The difference between a WS color v cyrstal is very minor. Crystal is better screen, but you wont notice it without a side by side comparison.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
NGPC does have a better control stick. I can't imagine playing something like Judgement Silversword on an actual WonderSwan Color.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
You are clearly a contrarian, sir! :D

The technology just wasn't there to make a decent color handheld at the time. My Game Gear had dead pixels and the battery life that would barely get me through one session.

Nah, I agree with him. The Game Gear makes the original Gameboy look like unplayable garbage by comparison. And it's not like the Gameboy came out much earlier. Less than a year and a half difference between the systems. You're complaining about washed out colour in favour of a handheld with absolutely no colour or lighting at all. You can have all the battery life in the world, it doesn't change the fact that the handheld is literally unplayable in a plethora of different lighting conditions, and looks like crap even when you can see it. I've never understood the battery life complaint. When are you going to be out and about and need more than 3 straight hours of play time? Air travel, and maybe a cross country train ride. If you're playing in-doors, the Game Gear has a power adapter. Sure, more play time on the batteries would have been nice, but it's hardly a deal breaker.

The graphical and performance difference between the Gameboy and Game Gear is huge, so much so that it directly affects gameplay. There are a lot more Gameboy games out there, but I'll take quality over quantity any day.

The only legitimate complaint about the Game Gear today is that the system itself lacks longevity. Picking up a system without a recap is not a good idea.