a new fatal fury in 2004

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Ilovejapangirls said:
big bear ms4 a start?:spock:

i agree 100% with you on 2001 though

After installment 1, I feel the series took a wrong turn in concept for fear that it would prolly be deemed offensive to different ethnic groups and animal lovers. I see the Zombies,aliens and other unrealistic creatures as a politically correct move by SNK.
The gameplay mechanics were there NO DOUBT but the realistic HARD EDGE of the 1st is gone imo.
MS4 basically did what I want and that's try to get away from all those zombies and unrealistic crap somewhat which I feel was/is a step in the proper direction.
-BB

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
As for what SNKP could have done to improve it, there's plenty, like axing garbage characters (Gaira, Basara, Rimmy, Shizumaru),

nice objective opinion m8. are snkp gonna employ you to decide whats "garbage" and whats not?

basara and shiz rule in my book

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
i like umbrellas... :)

‚¢‚¦￾`‚¢￾@ŠÕŠÛ‚¦‚ç‚¢￾` ƒrƒ]ƒ‹‚É*HI-5*
ŽPƒpƒ￾￾`￾`

￾u‚É‚Ù‚ñ‚Ì￾—‚ÌŽq‚ðˆ¤‚µ‚Ä‚é￾v‚Á‚ÄŒ¾‚¤ã^–¼‚Å‚¿‚å￾[‚È‚ñ‚Ï‚à‚ñ‚Ý‚½‚¢‚ñ‚¶‚á‚È‚¢￾H
‹CŽ￾‚¿ˆ«‚¢￾B￾B￾B

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
beelzebubble said:
nice objective opinion m8. are snkp gonna employ you to decide whats "garbage" and whats not?

basara and shiz rule in my book

I think what he means by garbage is non-samurai characters... but it's true, Basara and Shizu kick ass!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
dragonwillow said:
I think what he means by garbage is non-samurai characters... but it's true, Basara and Shizu kick ass!

Seriously though, the series doesn't stick close to the techicalities of being true samurai characters. Look at Cham Cham or Seiger or even Charlotte.

They just need to have weapons and the will to kick ass!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Its gonna be a hack-up of MOTW

so why bother?

snk are dead, their innovation, their hard work, the way they pushed the neo, their love for the hardware they created, the passion.

its all dead.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
EX_Andy said:
I don't think there's any need to get upset over it, but SS5 is a pretty obvious rehash job. Even if you do like the SS3/SS4 sprites, they were used, and reused, 6-7 years ago.

As for what SNKP could have done to improve it, there's plenty, like axing garbage characters (Gaira, Basara, Rimmy, Shizumaru), redrawing sprites with MOTW-quality animation, all-new redrawn backgrounds, and tweaking the gameplay/existing characters. Some of the slash/bust character differences were practically negligible, and in some cases, one version was just better than the other (like bust Ukyo over slash Ukyo in SS4). They could have combined the slash/bust moves into one character, so you'd have one good character with a bunch of moves, for instance. Instead, they turned alternate versions into "new" characters like with bust Nakoruru and bust Sogetsu. Sorry, that's just weak.

Hmmn... agreement with EX_Andy. That hasn't happened in 7 years...

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
The only way we will get re-drawn sprites is if people stop buying the games.

But since everyone wants to support Playmore for fear of them going out of business, they will continue to make money off of half-assed sequels. If they see no one is buying the games because people want legitimately updated titles that are completely revamped, maybe then will they start redrawing everything.

But this will never happen.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
kernow said:
Its gonna be a hack-up of MOTW

so why bother?

snk are dead, their innovation, their hard work, the way they pushed the neo, their love for the hardware they created, the passion.

its all dead.

bump

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
They could have combined the slash/bust moves into one character, so you'd have one good character with a bunch of moves, for instance. Instead, they turned alternate versions into "new" characters like with bust Nakoruru and bust Sogetsu. Sorry, that's just weak.

For all characters in SS5 who don't have alternate versions, that's exactly what they did.

As for making "new" characters out of Nakoruru, Sogetsu, Kazuki, and Hoahmaru, this is because they became seperate entities in SS64 2 (Shiki and Asura had them as well) with vastly different moves and styles, and weren't just created on the fly as a gimmick.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
There's so many things that could go wrong with Playmore making a new FF that I won't even bother listing them here. There is a chance that they could actually pull off a great FF game, but that chance is about as SLIM as ChrisR's hair growing back in.

Mike

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Fygee said:
For all characters in SS5 who don't have alternate versions, that's exactly what they did.

As for making "new" characters out of Nakoruru, Sogetsu, Kazuki, and Hoahmaru, this is because they became seperate entities in SS64 2 (Shiki and Asura had them as well) with vastly different moves and styles, and weren't just created on the fly as a gimmick.

Not only that, but giving Sogetsu his water column, fireball, shield, and dive throw would be cheap as hell o_O

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
i've already said and decided that sam 0/V is the last new neo game i'll ever buy. while i like svc and sam5 to a degree, they just don't have the magic like nearly all of the earlier games. (haven't played ms5 or pochi so no comment there).

thankfully i'm lacking ~220 titles so that i don't need to worry about 1 coming out next year :drool:

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
So what the fuck is playmore doing if they are not working on new sprites/adding lots of new animation to the sequels.

Sitting around making infinates in the games? making bad music?

They should do a good job on motw 2, as they can re-use most of the old code but make it faster, they should not skimp on adding lots of new frames either, ss5 is living proof that they did take the piss with ss0/5, they added hardly anything at all character wise.

If they are making a sequel then they better redoo all the sprites at least.

Playmore also needs to calm down & release about 1 or 2 titles a year & make sure the qualities there, like the old snk team did...

motw 1999
last blade 2 1998
ss4 1997
kof 2000 2000
metal slug 3 2000

The old snk crew made sure that when they go out, they go out with a bang with all quality titles, they released 1 game a year & then 2 in 2000 as you can see.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
dragonwillow said:

No, I mean those characters are garbage. Poorly-designed, silly, lame. Basara had some potential but it never came through. Gaira is a joke that you can laugh at from a distance, since his slow-moving, no-range-moves-having self will never reach you in time.

Fygee said:

This was done for characters that were stupidly easy to implement. Give slash Jubei his reversals. Now, suddenly, he's bust Jubei too. They didn't even bother giving Ukyo his bust moves. But the real laziness was in making bust Kazuki/Sogetsu/Nakoruru/Haohmaru "new characters." No one said they were a gimmick (unless you count padding out the character roster), but they are almost insulting. Like we weren't going to notice they're the same damn character. And if they're supposed to be new characters, they should at least have had new moves.

dragonwillow said:
Not only that, but giving Sogetsu his water column, fireball, shield, and dive throw would be cheap as hell o_O

Not if they sat down and carefully tweaked and balanced the range, damage, speed, and priority on them. Imagine how much more interesting he'd be if he had all of his slash and all of his bust moves in one character. Same with other characters who should've been combined/enhanced, like Haohmaru, Kazuki, and SS3/SS4 Hanzo (only with disappearing moves that aren't worthless). I've been saying for years that Nakoruru would be a hell of a lot more interesting if she had both her hawk and her wolf at the same time, for instance.

buttasuperb said:
No, the only way you'll get new sprites is if they move to new hardware.

That's what everyone thought before MOTW. If SNKP is going to really push on PS2 ports of Neo game and make them worthwhile purchases, they have to do better than this.

The argument is [hopefully] academic at this point, since SNKP is [hopefully] returning from the brink of insanity and dropping the Neo as it should have years ago. I love mine as much as the other Neo owners on this forum, but it makes no sense to continue supporting hardware/software that's emulated and regularly pirated along with the NES and Genesis because, like those other systems, it's already considered obsolete.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
The last game I liked from them recently was 2K2. the rest can suck my balls.