Volume Switch location/Rev1 Hyper 64 Board

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I popped a Hyper 64 board in the Tekken 3 cab today and I must say BURIKI ONE looks Sweet!!

Luckily the volume level was set at a decent spot,but I would like to be able to control it.

I don't know where the knob etc is located..?
Hyperx64.jpg

Anyone know?

chris1 said:
I popped a Hyper 64 board in the Tekken 3 cab today and I must say BURIKI ONE looks Sweet!!

Luckily the volume level was set at a decent spot,but I would like to be able to control it.

I don't know where the knob etc is located..?
Hyperx64.jpg

Anyone know?

Chris go here: http://www.daddelkingz.com/manuals/Hyper_64_english.pdf

This is a manual for a Hyper 64 rev. 1 board. The volume nob is located to the left of the main power harness (see page 17 on Adobe viewer). BTW, did you connect the main power harness into the power supply. If not, DO IT NOW!!! Or say goodbye to your hyper board.

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Re: Re: Volume Switch location/Rev1 Hyper 64 Board

Charles Franklin Fernandez said:
Chris go here: http://www.daddelkingz.com/manuals/Hyper_64_english.pdf

This is a manual for a Hyper 64 rev. 1 board. The volume nob is located to the left of the main power harness (see page 17 on Adobe viewer). BTW, did you connect the main power harness into the power supply. If not, DO IT NOW!!! Or say goodbye to your hyper board.

Charles

Thank You Charles..

What main power harness?

I'm just plugging it into the Tekken 3 Jamma harness and it turns on and plays...sound etc...
I did it a few times today..

When I turn it on..
I get a blue boot up screen with a list of test options etc.(didn't pay attention to yet)

Then I get a white cross hatch screen,then the game comes on..?

I played the game a bit today,and honestly forgot that the moves are pulled off with the joystick..

EDIT..
I think the Hyper 64 in that manual is a revision 2..I don't have the molex connectors on it's front on my board for the Power etc.

This manual is still what I need.....Thank you Charles..

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Volume Switch location/Rev1 Hyper 64 Board

chris1 said:
Thank You Charles..

What main power harness?

I'm just plugging it into the Tekken 3 Jamma harness and it turns on and plays...sound etc...
I did it a few times today..

When I turn it on..
I get a blue boot up screen with a list of test options etc.(didn't pay attention to yet)

Then I get a white cross hatch screen,then the game comes on..?

I played the game a bit today,and honestly forgot that the moves are pulled off with the joystick..

EDIT..
I think the Hyper 64 in that manual is a revision 2..I don't have the molex connectors on it's front on my board for the Power etc.

This manual is still what I need.....Thank you Charles..

Actually Chris the manual is for a rev. 1. I have four rev. 1 boards and they all look like the ones in the manual, with separate molex connectors for the power supply and the speakers.

If you don't have those molexes then you may have a rev. 2 board. If you look underneath the board. Do you see any switch for MVS-JAMMA?

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Re: Re: Re: Re: Volume Switch location/Rev1 Hyper 64 Board

Actually Chris the manual is for a rev. 1. I have four rev. 1 boards and they all look like the ones in the manual, with separate molex connectors for the power supply and the speakers.

If you don't have those molexes then you may have a rev. 2 board. If you look underneath the board. Do you see any switch for MVS-JAMMA?

Charles

Hmmm..
Here's what my Hyper 64 looks like..
I now have that cardboard off though,and the board is in the cab working sound,buttons etc..
I think it may be only playing in mono though..the Tekken sounds different,more in a stereo sound.
It just plugs into the Jamma Harness..

64sm.jpg

Here's the Board..I only have dip switches on it that I never touched.
No MVS-Jamma switches..

Hp64.jpg

I bought another Hyper 64 Board that should be here this week as a spare..
I'm not sure what Revision it is..

No matter though..this has hooked up so easy that I don't need the other Revision with the MVS -Jamma switch..

I ordered a Revision 2 from the same guy I get the Revision 1 boards..
He said the boards I have are Revision 1 boards.
I'm still waiting for him to get me the 2nd Revision board,but I'm not sweating it..I really don't need it.

EDIT..
I looked at the Volume switch location on the board in that manual(page 17)And I don't have that part on my board.

Last edited:
:spock: That is weird.

If that board that you have is a rev. 1 board, then it must have been modified, so it will not need the extra power and stereo muxes. And it does not look like a rev. 2 either. Those dip switches in your board do nothing.

If that board is a rev.1, and it was not modded but just missing those muxes. You will have a serious problem. Sure the board as is will hook fine to your JAMMA harness and even boot-up fine, but eventually it will burn-up on you. So you will end up having a burned board and possibly a burned game. That is why it is important to hook the power mux to the power supply for a rev. 1 board.

And this problem was solved with the rev. 2 board.

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
:spock: That is weird.

If that board that you have is a rev. 1 board, then it must have been modified, so it will not need the extra power and stereo muxes. And it does not look like a rev. 2 either. Those dip switches in your board do nothing.

If that board is a rev.1, and it was not modded but just missing those muxes. You will have a serious problem. Sure the board as is will hook fine to your JAMMA harness and even boot-up fine, but eventually it will burn-up on you. So you will end up having a burned board and possibly a burned game. That is why it is important to hook the power mux to the power supply for a rev. 1 board.

And this problem was solved with the rev. 2 board.

Charles

Hmm..I'll have to look into that..

The whole thing that I don't understand is how is it working..
If I'm getting it to work fully with sound,game,buttons everything by just plugging in the jamma harness that has 5V and a ground speakers etc..
Why would I need to plug it in at secondary power suppy location..and why would I have to hook up the speakers to that plate(pg 17) if I'm getting sound from the Jamma harness..
I had the game playing for hours today with no problems..

I'm not doubting you Charles..I would just like to get some more info on this before I start tracking down that plate and hooking up another power supply source to the board.

Isn't there anyone else besides us who owns a Revision 1 board and could shed some light on why it works like it does.

(Edit)Asked seller for the required parts tonight)
I'm not going to play it anymore until I get the plate/connection in my next order from the seller.

Thank you Charles Franklin Fernandez for helping me with this..

Last edited:
chris1 said:
Hmm..I'll have to look into that..

The whole thing that I don't understand is how is it working..
If I'm getting it to work fully with sound,game,buttons everything by just plugging in the jamma harness that has 5V and a ground speakers etc..
Why would I need to plug it in at secondary power suppy location..and why would I have to hook up the speakers to that plate(pg 17) if I'm getting sound from the Jamma harness..
I had the game playing for hours today with no problems..

I'm not doubting you Charles..I would just like to get some more info on this before I start tracking down that plate and hooking up another power supply source to the board.

Blame it to SNK. When the first Hyper 64 board was designed (rev. 1), some SNK engineer implemented some design into that board that required the extra harnesses for the power supply and stereo. Without the stereo harness, you will only have mono sound. And the power supply harness must do something to be board that must regulate its power. If you do a search in the Hyper 64 thread, you will find quite a good number of topics that deals with people who found out that their hyper boards worked fine without those extra connections. And eventually they ended up with a burned board and game.

Isn't there anyone else besides us who owns a Revision 1 board and could shed some light on why it works like it does.

There are many people within this forum that have rev. 1 boards. right now, I do not remenber any names. Sorry.

(Edit)Asked seller for the required parts tonight)
I'm not going to play it anymore until I get the plate/connection in my next order from the seller.

Thank you Charles Franklin Fernandez for helping me with this..

You are welcome. You can also ask the seller if he could trade the board that you have with a complete one. I do not know how much you paid for it, but you can find a complete rev. 1 board with manual and the extra harnesses for around $30 on eBay (more with a game). Also, Video Connection (www.videoconnect.com) has complete and tested rev. 1 boards for $99 plus s/h. And I think that they come with a 45-day warranty.

And finally, the rev. 2 board does not require those extra harnesses since SNK fix its problem. But you will still see them with that plate with muxes for other stuff (like video camera connection, etc.) and the volume knob is on that plate too.

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Blame it to SNK. When the first Hyper 64 board was designed (rev. 1), some SNK engineer implemented some design into that board that required the extra harnesses for the power supply and stereo. Without the stereo harness, you will only have mono sound. And the power supply harness must do something to be board that must regulate its power. If you do a search in the Hyper 64 thread, you will find quite a good number of topics that deals with people who found out that their hyper boards worked fine without those extra connections. And eventually they ended up with a burned board and game.

There are many people within this forum that have rev. 1 boards. right now, I do not remenber any names. Sorry.

You are welcome. You can also ask the seller if he could trade the board that you have with a complete one. I do not know how much you paid for it, but you can find a complete rev. 1 board with manual and the extra harnesses for around $30 on eBay (more with a game). Also, Video Connection (www.videoconnect.com) has complete and tested rev. 1 boards for $99 plus s/h. And I think that they come with a 45-day warranty.

And finally, the rev. 2 board does not require those extra harnesses since SNK fix its problem. But you will still see them with that plate with muxes for other stuff (like video camera connection, etc.) and the volume knob is on that plate too.

Charles

Thanks Again Charles..

Thanks for that link..
I also started to read all the topics I could find on the subject and you are right..

I paid $35.00 for this board and $40.00 for the second one.
(still waiting on the second one though)

The seller said he's going to send me the missing piece..all I need to do now is figure out what goes to what.
I need to figure out which is the 5V pin/wire etc..and what should I hook them up to....
(I sort of have an idea,but I want to do it right.

The next thing I do shell out for will be a REV 2 board for easy use...
I just shelled out quite a bit of cash for something I really wanted and a Rev 2 board will be next..
It was nice to actually play the Buriki One game for awhile..

chris1 said:
Thanks Again Charles..

Thanks for that link..
I also started to read all the topics I could find on the subject and you are right..

I paid $35.00 for this board and $40.00 for the second one.
(still waiting on the second one though)

The seller said he's going to send me the missing piece..all I need to do now is figure out what goes to what.
I need to figure out which is the 5V pin/wire etc..and what should I hook them up to....
(I sort of have an idea,but I want to do it right.

The next thing I do shell out for will be a REV 2 board for easy use...
I just shelled out quite a bit of cash for something I really wanted and a Rev 2 board will be next..
It was nice to actually play the Buriki One game for awhile..

You are welcome and good luck.

Yes, Buriki One is a great game, but you should try and get Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, Samurai SHowdown 64, and Samurai Showdowns Warrior's Rage. They are worth it!

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
You are welcome and good luck.

Yes, Buriki One is a great game, but you should try and get Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, Samurai SHowdown 64, and Samurai Showdowns Warrior's Rage. They are worth it!

Charles

Thanks Again Charles..
I'll let you know when I get the part..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
New_Hyper.jpg

I don't remember who Pm'd me about Hyper 64 info..So PM me again if you requested info..
I'm going to be working on this stuff later this week.

I finally got one of the boxed Hyper 64 boards I bought with the wires for the positive/Negative and Stereo..

The other two Hypers I have without the Molex Connector plates I'll keep as spares,I'll take one apart to see how it works with the extra +5V line etc..
Now that I got this plate I can wire this into the Candy cab..All I'm doing right now is wiring the Positive & Negative(as seen in pick)
wires to the power supply..Two Wires are Red and two wires are black.
I'm not cutting these brand new wires,so I need to make something up to plug the one end of the Molex connectors on the wire/s into..
I would like to find a matching end..
Anyone know where they sell such parts..?

I just want to do it as neat as possible but I do have enough crap are around here to make something up.
The second new board I get I will wire into the Big Red...but I'm doing the Candies set-up first.
I really don't see why these boards are so hated,it's so damn simple to add this +5V and Ground in.

I'm going to find out just where the +5V & Ground goes to on the board..
(((With a quick look ))) I can see that the additional ground goes to the top part that connects to the cart.
So maybe the cart itself needs this extra ground to stay working.

The positive looks like it's connecting right behind edge connector at the same point where the 5V+ comes in from the harness.

Last edited:
chris1 said:
New_Hyper.jpg

I don't remember who Pm'd me about Hyper 64 info..So PM me again if you requested info..
I'm going to be working on this stuff later this week.

I think it was NGT about a couple of weeks ago.

I finally got one of the boxed Hyper 64 boards I bought with the wires for the positive/Negative and Stereo..

The other two Hypers I have without the Molex Connector plates I'll keep as spares,I'll take one apart to see how it works with the extra +5V line etc..
Now that I got this plate I can wire this into the Candy cab..All I'm doing right now is wiring the Positive & Negative(as seen in pick)
wires to the power supply..Two Wires are Red and two wires are black.

The power supply harness only has +5V (both red cables) and GND (both black cables).

For the rev1 boards, you will need to have -5V wired into the JAMMA harness. In the manual, in the JAMMA pinout table to be more specific, you will not see the pins assigned to -5V.

But you will see the JAMMA pins assignet to -5V by looking at the manual's schematics (wiring diagram).

I'm not cutting these brand new wires,so I need to make something up to plug the one end of the Molex connectors on the wire/s into..
I would like to find a matching end..
Anyone know where they sell such parts..?

I just want to do it as neat as possible but I do have enough crap are around here to make something up.
The second new board I get I will wire into the Big Red...but I'm doing the Candies set-up first.
I really don't see why these boards are so hated,it's so damn simple to add this +5V and Ground in.

It depends on the power supply that you are using. For my power supplies, I use fork terminals. They are clean and safe. (i use switching power supplies similar to the one pictured at hardmvs, in the building a "power supply board" section.

Try http://www.therealbobroberts.com you may find what you are looking for.

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Oooh..ok..:)
Now I see what you mean..I was so focused on the Extra 5V+ that I forgot all about the -5V
The power supply I bought for the Big Red has a -5V white Wire(-5V/0.5A..I actually just bought another one to has as spare..(I have to have my spare parts.: )
j.jpg

I just looked in the red cab and I understand now what I need to do..to get it working in that cab..

I need to do this..for the Red Cab
http://www.hardmvs.com/html/neg5volt.htm

It's going to be easier in the Candy though since that cab has a power supply with the screws on it with -5 V etc..and the easier to work on Blue Harness..

Thanks again...Charles Franklin Fernandez..

Please stop me if I'm forgetting something..

Check this out..
ffwil64d.jpg

Last edited:

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
Question on the difference between the 2 Rev boards.

If it doesn't have the MVS/JAMMA switch does that automatically make it a Rev 1?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Decepticon said:
Question on the difference between the 2 Rev boards.

If it doesn't have the MVS/JAMMA switch does that automatically make it a Rev 1?

Yes..if it doesn't have the MVS/JAMMA switch underneath on the circuit board it's a Rev 1

chris1 said:
Oooh..ok..:)
Now I see what you mean..I was so focused on the Extra 5V+ that I forgot all about the -5V
The power supply I bought for the Big Red has a -5V white Wire(-5V/0.5A..I actually just bought another one to has as spare..(I have to have my spare parts.: )
j.jpg

I just looked in the red cab and I understand now what I need to do..to get it working in that cab..

I need to do this..for the Red Cab
http://www.hardmvs.com/html/neg5volt.htm

It's going to be easier in the Candy though since that cab has a power supply with the screws on it with -5 V etc..and the easier to work on Blue Harness..

Thanks again...Charles Franklin Fernandez..

Please stop me if I'm forgetting something..

Glad to help, and you are on the right track. Just be sure to double check the JAMMA pinout assignments between both MVS and Hyper 64, just to keep it save. :D

Check this out..
ffwil64d.jpg

:tickled: Yeah, I saw that one yesterday.

Very bad conversion of a Dynamo cab. Just look at the button layout, YUK!!!. You can tell that it was used before for Samurai Showdown 64; hence, the riped side art on the right side.

It is extremelly expensive for the terrible condition that it is in. And to make things even funnier, the seller states that he did not clean it. So the buyer can save money on his/her purchase. What a maroon :lol:

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Glad to help, and you are on the right track. Just be sure to double check the JAMMA pinout assignments between both MVS and Hyper 64, just to keep it save. :D

:tickled: Yeah, I saw that one yesterday.

Very bad conversion of a Dynamo cab. Just look at the button layout, YUK!!!. You can tell that it was used before for Samurai Showdown 64; hence, the riped side art on the right side.

It is extremelly expensive for the terrible condition that it is in. And to make things even funnier, the seller states that he did not clean it. So the buyer can save money on his/her purchase. What a maroon :lol:

Charles

Thanks Charles :)

"And to make things even funnier, the seller states that he did not clean it. So the buyer can save money on his/her purchase. What a maroon"

:tickled: I didn't see that..That's Hilarious!!!

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Ok..
I scanned this out of the Hyper 64 manual..

What the heck is the Blue 2- M ) (11 2+ Blue under Speaker - and speaker positive.

Jamblue.jpg

Blue 2- M ) (11 2+ Blue

Where does that harness fall in with this..?

Hyper64.jpg

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
oh...so you have that scanned already,lol....

nice and clear too...

I have the same question about the harness +2 and -2.....

I think they are for a 2nd speaker......but not 100%

I have another question if anybody cares to answer it.......

why would I get no sound from the harness but full sound from the speaker outs on the front?

I'm looking at the scans above and to see that there are no speaker outs on the harness in the wired up scan picture (2nd one)

Does mine only get sound from the front?

last.....what the hell do the 4 dip switches do? and can one get me into test mode? anyone have a list of what 4 dip switches do?

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
NGT said:
oh...so you have that scanned already,lol....

nice and clear too...

I have the same question about the harness +2 and -2.....

I think they are for a 2nd speaker......but not 100%

I have another question if anybody cares to answer it.......

why would I get no sound from the harness but full sound from the speaker outs on the front
I'm looking at the scans above and to see that there are no speaker outs on the harness in the wired up scan picture (2nd one)

Does mine only get sound from the front?

last.....what the hell do the 4 dip switches do? and can one get me into test mode? anyone have a list of what 4 dip switches do?

I tell you...I don't know,it's crazy..

When I plug any of the REV 1 boards into either the Candy cab or the Tekken 3 I get sound,but it's in mono..

I get stereo Sound from the Candy if the 4 slot mother board is in..

I've never put the Hyper in the Big Red so,I may get no sound in that cab.

I'll have to do it this week..

I'm curious to what those switches are for too.

Chris1:

In the JAMMA pinout table the 2+ and 2- that you see, is the connection to the speaker. Remenber JAMMA standard is mono not stereo, so that speaker is usually a central speaker or the left speaker. The "+" and "-" are the terminals of the speaker (if I am not mistaken).

Therefore, in order to get stereo you have to hook the stereo harness that is provided from your kit and hook it to your board and speakers. So if you look at the schematics, spk and spk2 are the right and left speakers.

NGT:

The 4 DIP switches do NOTHING, so don't worry about them.

Hope this helps.

Charles

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
why would they put dip switches on that didn't do anything?

NGT said:
why would they put dip switches on that didn't do anything?

Because the Engineers at SNK were on drugs when designing the Hyper 64!

Seriously, I do not know. Those DIP switches could be used for a hyper 64 development board, or they had their functionally on the other versions(shooting, driving) of the board. And knowing SNK, they just allowed the DIP switches to be included during board production.

But the only one who knows the truth is the engineer or engineers that designed the hyper 64 board. Assuming that the drugs that they took did not damage their brains.:D

Charles

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
ok thanks!!

that's an answer I can live with.... :)