Received HNG 64 from Vektorlogic.

robert-gamble

Armored Scrum Object
Right on time and very well packaged :)

I've not had time to play the games properly yet but so far so good... I don't see why everyone winges about the Samurai Showdown games being slow... They seem about the same speed as SS 2 to me.

RVF400

Host for Orochi
how much did you pay?, how long to arrive?, do you use it through a supergun if so what power supply are you using?

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I have all fourof the fighters for the 64 as well. Just recently, I have been playing them again.

In terms of game pace, I htink now that I have had them for a while, that it isn't necessarily the speed of play, but rather the frame rate that is what people see as a fault.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the games. However, I must admit that if the frame rate were higher, even given the current character models, the game would have looked much better.

I don't mind the more blocky (by today's standards) character models, but the fluidity of movement is really lacking, even given the time in which it was originally released. A much higher frame rate would have done wonders for the overall look of these titles.

robert-gamble

Armored Scrum Object
I think the frame rate is fine too.. Looks like a solid 30 fps to me. I think the graphics would have looked better with some texture filtering, especially Samurai Showdown 64. But they're fine :) Strangely the character textures in Wild Ambition look bilinear filtered, and the characters look like they have gouraud shading.. Graphically I think it's very underrated!

I paid £195 for the Hyper + 3 games, and a further £50 for the fourth game. I'm using it in my MVS cabinet, not a supergun sorry!

RyoGeo

Robert, I am using the same set up as well; a 4 slot MVS cab. Gotta love those MVS switches on the bottm, eh!!! I even installed an extra shelf in my cab to accomodate the Hyper board (or any other board for that matter) so all I have to do is switch the harness.

About Real Bout, it does look pretty good doesn't it! Again, the models are a little more blocky than we may be used to now, but other than that it is plenty fast. Plays very much like SF EX series, if'n you ask me.

Don' t you think that the RB game seems to animate more fluidly than SS 64 II though? Perhaps it is the speed afer all. I still play SS 64 II far and away the most of all 4 of my Hyper games, but RB is a hoot.

robert-gamble

Armored Scrum Object
Yeah RB does seem faster and smoother than the other games.. It's a bit slower than the MVS Real Bouts though, so I'm having to adjust to it a bit ;)

It doesn't quite fit in my cab at the same time as my six slot :( Do you know if you can perminantly set it to freeplay? One of the dip switches on the bottom maybe?

RyoGeo

You can set it to free play with the soft dip settings (put your board in MVS mode and use your MVS Test button). The thing is, it has some strange implications on RB.

If I have RB set to free play, both player 1 and player 2 are in an "active status" for lack of a better phrase. Essentially, in free play mode, both player 1 and 2 are at the plaer select screen without the start buttons for either having been pressed. So in other words, you can't have a 1 player experience with RB when set to free play.

There may be some combo of dips that fixes this, but I never bothered to figure it out. It was just as easy for me to click in credits (although I think I needed to do those one at a time as well to avoid the same problem). I seem to recall Shodown working like this too, but am not sure.

robert-gamble

Armored Scrum Object
I can set freeplay using the softdips but it seems to lose my settings when I turn the cabinet off or switch games :(

I've not had the freeplay problem with Real Bout though.. I set it to English and freeplay and it worked fine for one player. Strange.

slerch666

updyke,
robert-gamble said:
I can set freeplay using the softdips but it seems to lose my settings when I turn the cabinet off or switch games :(

I've not had the freeplay problem with Real Bout though.. I set it to English and freeplay and it worked fine for one player. Strange.

The reason you have to reset the soft dips is BECAUSE of the fact that it's a single cart board. No multi cart board was planned, or built, for the HNG64. MVS on the other hand was designed with multi-cart in mind, so it can hold inof for up to 8 games.

FF:WA default soft dip settings suck total ass. No demo sounds, set on easy, no blood and in English I believe (English isn't bad, but those other settings as default, why?)

I must be in the minority as I love playing SamSpi 64 (first one) more than any other game on the system (SS 64-2 is a near second).

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
robert-gamble said:
Right on time and very well packaged :)

I've not had time to play the games properly yet but so far so good... I don't see why everyone winges about the Samurai Showdown games being slow... They seem about the same speed as SS 2 to me.

Congrats!!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I still need to get these some day... maybe next year when I have some more time to play! I just keep hearing how underrated and fun these games are...

-Nick