Translate this Japanese word please..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Ths is on the front of my Samurai Spirits slot machine..

Please tell me what it says or means..in English..

Someone told me but I forgot..

(I need to write it down)

wha.jpg

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
It's only in katakana, which anyone can learn. Takes about a week, and katakana (as in this case) is almost always english!

Spike

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Spike Spiegel said:
It's only in katakana, which anyone can learn. Takes about a week, and katakana (as in this case) is almost always english!

Spike
Cool..:)
Can you get me started learning the katakana language with maybe an online site or link..
Thanks..:)

laurent

Geese's Thug
no

not necessary english it s foreign language (for example arbeit (german word mean work,it s usual in japan)

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
yeah usually for foreign words though some have become part of japanese and are actually written with kanji (tempura for example which is actually a portugese word iirc).

most foreign words (ŠO—ˆŒê) are from portugese (when they traded with japan 200 years or so ago, german (mainly medical/health terms because there was a lot of medical knowledge gained from germany 100 or so years ago iirc), french (like avec) and english.. maybe some others too..

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Cool..:)
Can you get me started learning the katakana language with maybe an online site or link..
Thanks..:)

No, but how I learned that (and much more) was from a blue and black book called "reading Japanese". It's a pretty big book and it cost me about $15 from Borders a few years ago. Great book!

Spike

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Spike Spiegel said:
No, but how I learned that (and much more) was from a blue and black book called "reading Japanese". It's a pretty big book and it cost me about $15 from Borders a few years ago. Great book!

Spike

Great,Thank you so much..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
beelzebubble said:
yeah usually for foreign words though some have become part of japanese and are actually written with kanji (tempura for example which is actually a portugese word iirc).

most foreign words (ŠO—ˆŒê) are from portugese (when they traded with japan 200 years or so ago, german (mainly medical/health terms because there was a lot of medical knowledge gained from germany 100 or so years ago iirc), french (like avec) and english.. maybe some others too..

This is very interesting info that's being provided...
Thanks,I'm enjoying it.

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
chris1 said:
This is very interesting info that's being provided...
Thanks,I'm enjoying it.

But really, I would say 90-95% of katakana words you see in video games are English. Katakana really is pretty easy to learn, but you have to understand the mechanics of pronounciation or most katakana words are very difficult to understand. So you should get a grounding in the basic pronounciation, which adds a few hours onto learning.. And after that, you can understand menus in most video games, and usually read character names and things like that. Pretty nice to know.

Kanji on the other hand. :crying:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
katakana are the japanese words borrowed from other countries (loan words is the correct terminology)

if you are interested in japanese it is actually a lot easier than you may think. expecially katakana.

here are some books i recemmond

beginnig japanese (this is the first book you will need, before you can attempt to read japanese you must learn a few simple rules on pronunciation)

reading japanese (both beginning and reading japanese are the same series and meant to be used together)

niko niko (very cool book, highly recemmonded)

japanese at a glance phrase book and dictionary for travellers (highly recemmonded)

any type of japanese dictionary

manga jin magazines

lets learn kanji (best book EVER on learning and writing the 1st through 6th grade kanji characters)

flash cards (i made my own)

check out local college book stores, this is where most of my books were found. and ebay japanese book lots are also nice. i picked up beginning japanese, reading japanese, niko niko, and another book for under $20

lots are the way to go

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
Japanese Verbs and Essentials of Grammar is also excellent. All Romanized, but very concise and easy to understand explanations with a good number of examples.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
greedostick said:
katakana are the japanese words borrowed from other countries (loan words is the correct terminology)

if you are interested in japanese it is actually a lot easier than you may think. expecially katakana.
manga jin magazines
Yeah, Mangajin was a great magazine, but I don't think they're around anymore. If you see any back issues, they're highly recommended.

Also, as long as you're learning katakana (and it really is as simple as people are making it out to be, as soon as you get the pronunciation), you really ought to learn hiragana, since all the characters correspond to katakana characters. It's kind of similar to when in elementary school you learned printing, and then cursive. You'll then be able to (phonetically) "read" just about anything in a kid's comic, since most of the kanji will be accompanied by furigana (small hiragana characters next to the kanji).

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
SouthtownKid said:
Yeah, Mangajin was a great magazine, but I don't think they're around anymore. If you see any back issues, they're highly recommended.

Also, as long as you're learning katakana (and it really is as simple as people are making it out to be, as soon as you get the pronunciation), you really ought to learn hiragana, since all the characters correspond to katakana characters. It's kind of similar to when in elementary school you learned printing, and then cursive. You'll then be able to (phonetically) "read" just about anything in a kid's comic, since most of the kanji will be accompanied by furigana (small hiragana characters next to the kanji).

Not too mention a lot of video games for the teen market or younger have them. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, for instance (a friend of mine bought it on a trip to Japan).

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
hugh lots of manga jin can be found on ebay from time to time. however, they will cost you. but the money everyone here spends on neo games it will seem minimal.

DaemoN

Camel Slug
That's weird... Portuguese is my main language and I never heard (or seen in a dictionary) "tempura" in it!

beelzebubble said:

DaemoN

Camel Slug
ha ha ha

I "reccemond" english in 3 easy steps for you ;-)

Merry xmas!

greedostick said:

here are some books i recemmond

beginnig japanese (this is the first book you will need, before you can attempt to read japanese you must learn a few simple rules on pronunciation)

reading japanese (both beginning and reading japanese are the same series and meant to be used together)

niko niko (very cool book, highly recemmonded)

japanese at a glance phrase book and dictionary for travellers (highly recemmonded)

any type of japanese dictionary

manga jin magazines

lets learn kanji (best book EVER on learning and writing the 1st through 6th grade kanji characters)

flash cards (i made my own)

check out local college book stores, this is where most of my books were found. and ebay japanese book lots are also nice. i picked up beginning japanese, reading japanese, niko niko, and another book for under $20

lots are the way to go

Odysseus

Sakura's Bank Manager
DaemoN said:
That's weird... Portuguese is my main language and I never heard (or seen in a dictionary) "tempura" in it!

:lol: It's True!!! ( Tempura :spock: )