Thread: Translate this Japanese word please..

POCKETBIKE NUT

Translate this Japanese word please..

Ths is on the front of my Samurai Spirits slot machine..

Please tell me what it says or means..in English..

Someone told me but I forgot..

(I need to write it down)

Last edited by chris1; 12-24-2003 at 03:01 AM.

Geese's Thug

it's...

samourai sprits ...
    in the name of all the gamers
    <a href="http://www.neoayato.com" target="_blank">www.neoayato.com</a>

Kyo's Flame

Sa mu ra y su pi ri tt tsu!!

POCKETBIKE NUT

Sweeet..

Thank you so much laurent - ResOGlas....

最性感的男人活着

It's only in katakana, which anyone can learn. Takes about a week, and katakana (as in this case) is almost always english!

Spike

POCKETBIKE NUT

Originally posted by Spike Spiegel
    It's only in katakana, which anyone can learn. Takes about a week, and katakana (as in this case) is almost always english!

Spike
    Cool..
    Can you get me started learning the katakana language with maybe an online site or link..
    Thanks..

Geese's Thug

no

not necessary english it s foreign language (for example arbeit (german word mean work,it s usual in japan)
    in the name of all the gamers
    <a href="http://www.neoayato.com" target="_blank">www.neoayato.com</a>

Knar Sdrawkcab
    !t00w

yeah usually for foreign words though some have become part of japanese and are actually written with kanji (tempura for example which is actually a portugese word iirc).

most foreign words (外来語) are from portugese (when they traded with japan 200 years or so ago, german (mainly medical/health terms because there was a lot of medical knowledge gained from germany 100 or so years ago iirc), french (like avec) and english.. maybe some others too..
    waiting for, 2007:

mercs 2, army of two, mass effect, halo 3, gta iv, bioshock, half life:orange, zelda : phantom hourglass, uncharted, assassin's creed, the darkness, moh:airborne.

最性感的男人活着

Originally posted by chris1
    Cool..
    Can you get me started learning the katakana language with maybe an online site or link..
    Thanks..
    No, but how I learned that (and much more) was from a blue and black book called "reading Japanese". It's a pretty big book and it cost me about $15 from Borders a few years ago. Great book!

Spike

POCKETBIKE NUT

Originally posted by Spike Spiegel
    No, but how I learned that (and much more) was from a blue and black book called "reading Japanese". It's a pretty big book and it cost me about $15 from Borders a few years ago. Great book!

Spike
    Great,Thank you so much..

POCKETBIKE NUT

Originally posted by beelzebubble
    yeah usually for foreign words though some have become part of japanese and are actually written with kanji (tempura for example which is actually a portugese word iirc).

most foreign words (外来語) are from portugese (when they traded with japan 200 years or so ago, german (mainly medical/health terms because there was a lot of medical knowledge gained from germany 100 or so years ago iirc), french (like avec) and english.. maybe some others too..
    This is very interesting info that's being provided...
    Thanks,I'm enjoying it.

Morden's Lackey
    Originally posted by chris1
    This is very interesting info that's being provided...
    Thanks,I'm enjoying it.
    But really, I would say 90-95% of katakana words you see in video games are English. Katakana really is pretty easy to learn, but you have to understand the mechanics of pronounciation or most katakana words are very difficult to understand. So you should get a grounding in the basic pronounciation, which adds a few hours onto learning.. And after that, you can understand menus in most video games, and usually read character names and things like that. Pretty nice to know.

Kanji on the other hand.

Franco's Trainer

katakana are the japanese words borrowed from other countries (loan words is the correct terminology)

if you are interested in japanese it is actually a lot easier than you may think. expecially katakana.

here are some books i recemmond

beginnig japanese (this is the first book you will need, before you can attempt to read japanese you must learn a few simple rules on pronunciation)

reading japanese (both beginning and reading japanese are the same series and meant to be used together)

niko niko (very cool book, highly recemmonded)

japanese at a glance phrase book and dictionary for travellers (highly recemmonded)

any type of japanese dictionary

manga jin magazines

lets learn kanji (best book EVER on learning and writing the 1st through 6th grade kanji characters)

flash cards (i made my own)

check out local college book stores, this is where most of my books were found. and ebay japanese book lots are also nice. i picked up beginning japanese, reading japanese, niko niko, and another book for under $20

lots are the way to go

Beaten in 2017: Not a Damn thing! But the Year is Still Young.

Close to Completion:
    Bravely Default - Skyrim (pc) - Dragon Quest IX -

Games I can't beat that make me violent:
    Solomon's Key (nes) (fuck Solomon and his damn key) - Festers Quest - R-Type - Ghost Pilots

[B]

Morden's Lackey
    Japanese Verbs and Essentials of Grammar is also excellent. All Romanized, but very concise and easy to understand explanations with a good number of examples.

WA6TJE

Originally posted by greedostick
    katakana are the japanese words borrowed from other countries (loan words is the correct terminology)

if you are interested in japanese it is actually a lot easier than you may think. expecially katakana.
    manga jin magazines
    Yeah, Mangajin was a great magazine, but I don't think they're around anymore. If you see any back issues, they're highly recommended.

Also, as long as you're learning katakana (and it really is as simple as people are making it out to be, as soon as you get the pronunciation), you really ought to learn hiragana, since all the characters correspond to katakana characters. It's kind of similar to when in elementary school you learned printing, and then cursive. You'll then be able to (phonetically) "read" just about anything in a kid's comic, since most of the kanji will be accompanied by furigana (small hiragana characters next to the kanji).

Morden's Lackey
    Originally posted by SouthtownKid
    Yeah, Mangajin was a great magazine, but I don't think they're around anymore. If you see any back issues, they're highly recommended.

Also, as long as you're learning katakana (and it really is as simple as people are making it out to be, as soon as you get the pronunciation), you really ought to learn hiragana, since all the characters correspond to katakana characters. It's kind of similar to when in elementary school you learned printing, and then cursive. You'll then be able to (phonetically) "read" just about anything in a kid's comic, since most of the kanji will be accompanied by furigana (small hiragana characters next to the kanji).
    Not too mention a lot of video games for the teen market or younger have them. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, for instance (a friend of mine bought it on a trip to Japan).

Franco's Trainer

hugh lots of manga jin can be found on ebay from time to time. however, they will cost you. but the money everyone here spends on neo games it will seem minimal.

Beaten in 2017: Not a Damn thing! But the Year is Still Young.

Close to Completion:
    Bravely Default - Skyrim (pc) - Dragon Quest IX -

Games I can't beat that make me violent:
    Solomon's Key (nes) (fuck Solomon and his damn key) - Festers Quest - R-Type - Ghost Pilots

[B]

Tung's Hair Stylist
    That's weird... Portuguese is my main language and I never heard (or seen in a dictionary) "tempura" in it!

Originally posted by beelzebubble

- Daemon

Tung's Hair Stylist
    ha ha ha

I "reccemond" english in 3 easy steps for you ;-)

Merry xmas!

Originally posted by greedostick

here are some books i recemmond

beginnig japanese (this is the first book you will need, before you can attempt to read japanese you must learn a few simple rules on pronunciation)

reading japanese (both beginning and reading japanese are the same series and meant to be used together)

niko niko (very cool book, highly recemmonded)

japanese at a glance phrase book and dictionary for travellers (highly recemmonded)

any type of japanese dictionary

manga jin magazines

lets learn kanji (best book EVER on learning and writing the 1st through 6th grade kanji characters)

flash cards (i made my own)

check out local college book stores, this is where most of my books were found. and ebay japanese book lots are also nice. i picked up beginning japanese, reading japanese, niko niko, and another book for under $20

lots are the way to go
    - Daemon

Zero's Tailor

icon94.gif

Originally posted by DaemoN
    That's weird... Portuguese is my main language and I never heard (or seen in a dictionary) "tempura" in it!
    It's True!!! ( Tempura )

Thread Information