FF 1&2 anime finally coming to Japanese R-2 DVD on 11/27/03

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Mate most of the people in this thread haven't posted here in fucking years.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Sorry to unearth this old thread, but I only recently became aware of the R2J DVD of the GD OVAs. Dash no Chris, I'm wondering what the quality is like for this DVD? I know that Discotek released an uncut R1 DVD, but that version had some color banding on it... so I wondered if the R2J disc had the same issues also?

You’re probably 43 years old. Why would you want to sit on the lounge and watch this puerile shit?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Mate most of the people in this thread haven't posted here in fucking years.

ThreadNecro.jpg

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sorry to unearth this old thread, but I only recently became aware of the R2J DVD of the GD OVAs. Dash no Chris, I'm wondering what the quality is like for this DVD? I know that Discotek released an uncut R1 DVD, but that version had some color banding on it... so I wondered if the R2J disc had the same issues also?

Hey karyuudo, if you’re looking for an excellent remaster, the diskotek bluray release of Fatal Fury The Motion Picture was fantastic imho if you haven’t had a chance to check out that release yet.

If you’re a purist...depending on your preference for viewing these old animes, you may want to hunt down the laser discs rather than the Viz or japanese dvd releases. The two Fatal Fury tv specials were packaged together in a single double disc release and the Motion Picture was stand-alone.

1FE8F28B-D23B-44E7-A877-4A7C804BE49E.jpeg

819DD045-20EC-4F08-AF5F-DC40601846E7.jpeg

Last edited:

karyuudo

n00b
Hey karyuudo, if you’re looking for an excellent remaster, the diskotek bluray release of Fatal Fury The Motion Picture was fantastic imho if you haven’t had a chance to check out that release yet.

If you’re a purist...depending on your preference for viewing these old animes, you may want to hunt down the laser discs rather than the Viz or japanese dvd releases. The two Fatal Fury tv specials were packaged together in a single double disc release and the Motion Picture was stand-alone.

I did manage to get my hands on the Diskotek release, and aside from the color banding issue, it was a good release due to it being uncut. I saw that Dash no Chris had picked up the R2J disc years back. I wasn't aware that this was released until recently... I'm not sure if you (or anyone in this thread) can comment on the quality of that release and if it was worth picking up? Usually the Japanese R2 DVDs have a bit more attention paid to the video / audio quality since the Japanese market is far more picker about their releases.

Side note, that's the first time I've seen the Laser Disc release for the movie. Now I see where Diskotek got their cover from. :)

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I did manage to get my hands on the Diskotek release, and aside from the color banding issue, it was a good release due to it being uncut. I saw that Dash no Chris had picked up the R2J disc years back. I wasn't aware that this was released until recently... I'm not sure if you (or anyone in this thread) can comment on the quality of that release and if it was worth picking up? Usually the Japanese R2 DVDs have a bit more attention paid to the video / audio quality since the Japanese market is far more picker about their releases.

Side note, that's the first time I've seen the Laser Disc release for the movie. Now I see where Diskotek got their cover from. :)

It’s been a long time, but I don’t remember the japanese dvd being vastly superior visually compared to the old viz release since both the japanese and usa releases were both similarly released on a single-sided dvd. The extras is where the two releases differed. The japanese version had some great extras and interview content while the usa viz release was pretty barebones.

The usa release did include the previously removed scene by selecting a hidden part of the menu if I recall correctly though:

Last edited:

karyuudo

n00b
It’s been a long time, but I don’t remember the japanese dvd being vastly superior visually compared to the old viz release since both the japanese and usa releases were both similarly released on a single-sided dvd. The extras is where the two releases differed. The japanese version had some great extras and interview content while the usa viz release was pretty barebones.

The usa release did include the previously removed scene by selecting a hidden part of the menu if I recall correctly though:

Thanks for that info. I do remember the Viz release years ago being free of the color banding issue, but I didn't know if the R2J copy of the OVAs was better than that release. It would be interesting if I could get my hands on the Japanese interview content as I'd like to see what it's all about. Too bad the R2J release is so expensive due to it being out of print. :(

Last edited: