SSM proudly presents... "The Top 50 SEGA Saturn games"

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Note before we begin: Hey! Welcome. This thread is dedicated to all Saturn users; young or old, male or female (who am I kidding..), diehard or casual, veteran or rookie. And if you don't have a Saturn -- no problem! Still doesn't stop you from getting some enjoyment out of this, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, this will help in getting you interested, because the Saturn's a true blue great console. And know what's scary? This list lists only the best PAL games. Throw in the JPN imports and the Saturn's library is simply awesome. Have fun and game on... -Steve :)

---

Remember EGM's top 100 lists? Well, this is Sega Saturn Magazine's version, held in issue 28 (Feb. 98)
Please keep these factors in mind. All games ranked are PAL releases, so you won't be seeing no Soukyugurentai or any of that. Second, this list was compiled in December of 1997, hence titles such as PDS, SF III and Burning Rangers are missing.
Some game entries will make you scratch your head, but all the better...

I'll write two entries per day, and when we get to the final 10, I will devote one per entry so... for the next month sit back and enjoy.
I'll write the entries, and at the end I'll comment on the games. Feel free to comment as well.

HERE WE GO...

"Because you demanded it -- the Top 50 Sega Saturn games available on the shelves now! The entire team have been involved in compiling, writing and checking (and indeed arguing about) this feature... So, have we got it right or have we messed up big time? Send in your comments to Virtua Writer or to this very thread..."

Let the games begin.

#50: MASS DESTRUCTION -87%

Best described as Return Fire meets Soviet Strike, the unambiguously titled Mass Destruction is a technically outstanding blaster.
"Yeah, there's a loose mission structure to follow, but the meat and bones of Mass Destruction is just that -- Mass Destruction. Running at a super-smooth 60 fps and featuring some of the most incredible pyrotechnics we've ever seen, it's just a shame they missed out the all-important two-player mode." -Lee Nutter

mass.JPG

#49: KING OF FIGHTERS 95 -89%

SNK's greatest fighters from their legendary beat 'em ups mass in this one 2D battling megagame! Action-packed fighting action guaranteed!
"Capcom have virtually owned the 2D fighting genre on Saturn, but this one SNK release shows that when it comes to true hardcore fighting games, the underdog are in a class of their own. KoF 95 is probably the most lastable fighting game on the system... if you're into SNK of course." -Editor Rich Leadbetter

kotf95.JPG

---

kingfighters3.jpg

There you have it! The first two games on the top 50 list that will be updated daily for the next month. Please, no need to thank me... it's no trouble. Maybe one of these days I'll make a list of my own... or perhaps one of you Saturn freaks would like to make one... would be fun to see, no doubt.

MD - I played this briefly. I found it a little repetitive, but I should give it another go.
KoF 95 - Never played the Saturn conversion. I have 97 and that'll do fine for me.... never saw the need to get 95 or 96.

The deal SNK signed with Saturn to release some of its top games was a nice dig for the boys at SEGA. Too bad none saw an American release, however...

kingfighters5.jpg

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Baseley09 said:
I feel like ive peeped at my christmas presents as i know whats no.1:tickled:

:tickled: Yeah, forget just rattling the contents in the box, you know what's in it! :D

I tell you guys one thing... it ain't Destruction Derby... :glee:

BTW, have you played Saturn KoF 95 or MD, Baseley?

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Steve said:
:tickled: Yeah, forget just rattling the contents in the box, you know what's in it! :D

I tell you guys one thing... it ain't Destruction Derby... :glee:

BTW, have you played Saturn KoF 95 or MD, Baseley?

Ive never played KOF 95 , on Saturn, the pal release is becoming something of a rare title.....

Ive played Mass Destruction though, it is a top title for sure, in the same mould as Desert Strike or Return Fire, just a bit more action/arcade based.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Baseley09 said:
Ive never played KOF 95 , on Saturn, the pal release is becoming something of a rare title.....

Ive played Mass Destruction though, it is a top title for sure, in the same mould as Desert Strike or Return Fire, just a bit more action/arcade based.

I have one ;)

Want it ?

I can arrange some sort of deal with ya!:smirk:

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Atrophyed said:
I have one ;)

Want it ?

I can arrange some sort of deal with ya!:smirk:

Thanks for the offer, but my fanancial situation is stopping me from buying at the mo, should be sorted in a month so will be interested then if you still have it, cheers.;)

Steve

The Wonder Years,
#48 and #47

#48: SHINING WISDOM -N/A

The last 2D game in the Shining Force series. Explore a fantasy realm and undertake a quest to save your homeland from destruction.
"Sega have always produced quality RPGs and Sonic Software Planning's epic is no exception. While the visuals may look pretty basic, Shining Wisdom's playability and grand scale are second-to-none. There are literally hundreds of characters to meet and magical spells to master. A deserved addition to the RPG fan's library." -Matt Yeo

shiningwisdom.JPG

#47: ENEMY ZERO -88%

The best attempt yet at an 'Interactive Movie', programmed by legendary Japanese nutters Warp. The 11th best selling Saturn game EVER in Japan!
"The Japanese loved it. We quite liked it as well, come to think of it, as the smooth sci-fi action and top quality rendered FMV makes for an enjoyable and deep experience, with a pretty tough challenge for all you Saturn-owning adventure fans." -Gary Cutlack

enemyzero4.jpg

-------

SW I never played but I'll likely get it some day. I know views are mixed with SW but it looks like something I could get into. The graphics on paper look neat in that sort of "16-bit way."

E0 I have yet to get into. I traded for it and it's still sitting on my shelf as we speak. The gun-shooting technique to me is just annoying. But I expect some day I'll eventually sit down with it and give it a fair shake. I remember around the time E0 came out, so did PSX's Clock Tower. I was a big fan of CT and recall thinking, "E0... Scissorman could kill those stupid invisible aliens." You know, back when I was semi-anti-Saturn. Now I know better, Scissorman would easily be detained (not to mention decapitated) by one of those nasty critters!

#'s 46 and 45 revealed Tuesday... oh the suspense... ;)

Last edited:

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Thanks a lot for posting these - I've been reading all of your SSM magazine posts.

Personally, I loved Enemy Zero - I was living in Japan when the game came out, and from the first moment I popped it into my Saturn, everything clicked. Sound, graphics, atmosphere, story - I was totally immersed. That said, it can also be really hard - this adds to it though, once you get used to the shooting sequences. Absolutely beautiful atmospheric sense that's never been duplicated.

And if anyone wants to help me find my own Saturn holy grail, anyone with back issues of the Japanese magazine Saturn Fan, please sell or trade them to me!

Steve

The Wonder Years,
#46 and #45

#46: ACTUA GOLF -90%

Golf -- hitting a ball around a field with a stick. Sounds crap, but it actually makes for a decent videogame simulation.
"To convince your dad that games aren't just about shooting and fighting, it's essential to own a golf game. [it is??? -me] And you might as well buy a good one while you're at it -- Actua Golf scored 90% for its attention to detail, smooth 3D graphics and great control." -Gary Cutlack

actuagolf.JPG

#45: PANDEMONIUM -90%

Resurrecting the neglected platform genre from its 16-bit glory days, Pandemonium is the finest example of its kind on the Saturn.
"Incorporating classic 2D gameplay into a luscious 3D environment, Pandemonium is a speedy and visually astounding platformer." -Lee Nutter

pand.JPG

---

Actua Golf, I never played this one. But judging by the graphics, it reminds me a LOT of VR Golf '96... though it looks like AG's graphics are a touch crisper. Probably a PAL only release...

Pandemonium is great. IMO a little lacking in lastability but boy is the first time thru a sweet experience. The last boss is hard as hell! I love the look of the levels, especially the first 12. I find Nikki to be more useful than Fargus. Easily one of my best $5 video game purchases ever. SSM devoted a showcase or two to Pandemonium and the title of one article went, "So Fargus, So Good." Nice one, you ole chums... I had a blast playing thru this game level 1-22 this past July...

ss13.jpg

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Actua Golf is VR Golf 97.

Any visitor to VGR would know that.....

Steve

The Wonder Years,
RevQuixo said:
Actua Golf is VR Golf 97.

Any visitor to VGR would know that.....

So it is.... so it is. Hmmm. That means then I did play it, and did own it at one time. IMO a fair try, but well, I didn't take a grand liking to it. Much preferred the "Hot Shots Golf" games. I ended up sending away VR Golf '97 as a free bonus...

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Fact is SSM was a kick-ass magazine for sure!

EMAP Images really RULED in those years!

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Enemy Zero is the only game, savve Hellnight on PSX, that has made me jump, drop the pad or turn a game off due to scariness.

blip............blip.....blip..blip.blipblipblipoblipAAAAAAGGGGGHHH

Freelancer

Banned
Re: #46 and #45

Steve said:
Pandemonium is great. IMO a little lacking in lastability but boy is the first time thru a sweet experience. The last boss is hard as hell! I love the look of the levels, especially the first 12. I find Nikki to be more useful than Fargus. Easily one of my best $5 video game purchases ever. SSM devoted a showcase or two to Pandemonium and the title of one article went, "So Fargus, So Good." Nice one, you ole chums... I had a blast playing thru this game level 1-22 this past July...

ss13.jpg
[/B]

Hmm...Pandemonium is one of the reasons why the N-Gage is interesting me lately. Great game and portable too (on N-Gage) which makes the new system very tempting...

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Re: Re: #46 and #45

Freelancer said:
Hmm...Pandemonium is one of the reasons why the N-Gage is interesting me lately. Great game and portable too (on N-Gage) which makes the new system very tempting...

Which is ironic because if you believe the reviews it's one of the only games they did half well.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
#44 and #43

#44: ATHLETE KINGS (DECATHLETE) -90%

One of the first games to be produced for the Saturn-based ST-V arcade board, and probably one of the best, featuring gorgeously smooth hi-res visuals.... It's AM3 magic!
"Tasty athletic girls in high-cut lycra gear... lovely! Of course we're only interested in the gameplay, and the button-bashing action made for an excellent sports game. It's not the biggest game ever made, but beating your personal (and buddies') bests presents a decent challenge that can last ages." -Gary Cutlack

athlete.JPG

#43: DARK SAVIOR -92%

Years in the making, this adventure has the same class and style as the epochal LandStalker on MegaDrive. Stunning adventuring, although RPG masters may find it too easy...
"The sheer quest in Dark Savior is one that all die-hard adventurers will savour -- it's quality. I completed the Japanese import, then played it through again when it came out here. Excellent." -Editor Rich Leadbetter

darksavior.JPG

-----

I own and have played the former, but not the latter. I could say something about AK, sure, but I think I'll instead copy the beginning paragraph of AK's showcase way back in issue 10...

A long time ago, when man reached a state of civilization comfortable enough to make hunting a more mechanical and effortless process, he decided to celebrate the fact by eulogising the various hunting methods and turning them into a show of strength and superiority over every other species. Rather than running at pace after a pig, he decided to run after nothing, rather than throwing a spear at galloping elk he decided to throw a spear at nothing. OK, so it seems a bit stupid but then athletics, like all sports when you get to thinking about them, is a bit strange anyway.

Good stuff indeed.

Tomorrow we'll examine #'s 42 and 41. Get ready for a shocker!

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Interesting entries, Steve. You're quite the Saturn fan. Keep 'em coming!

I have KoF '95 on the Saturn, and it is a very good conversion. The load times are minimal with the cartridge, and gameplay is tough as ever.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Baseley09 said:
Enemy Zero is the only game, savve Hellnight on PSX, that has made me jump, drop the pad or turn a game off due to scariness.

blip............blip.....blip..blip.blipblipblipoblipAAAAAAGGGGGHHH

When E0 came out, I was playing late one night and sitting on a small couch that I'd positioned next to one of the windows in my apartment. In one of first nerve-racking shooting scenes, I was stalking through corridors slowly trying to figure out how to orient myself to where the alien things would be coming from. Just as the sensor starts beeping, the window next to my head slammed shut. Scared the shit out of me so much I fucking jumped about two feet.

Robert

20 Year Member
You just won the thread of the day award!!!

Congratulation!!!

Steve

The Wonder Years,
#42 and #41

Thanks for all the kudos, guys. On with the show!

#42: DAYTONA CCE -90%

The Rally conversion team try their hand at recreating the awesome Daytona USA coin-op on the Saturn with mixed results.
"The highly anticipated update of the often maligned Daytona conversion is a mixed bag really. The myriad of improvements (two-player mode, new tracks and improved graphics) is commendable, but somehow the superlative gameplay has been lost in the conversion. It's not really Daytona anymore, but a cool arcade racer nonetheless." -Lee Nutter

daycce.JPG

#41: SPACE HULK -90%

A corridor shoot 'em up that tries to include more of a strategy element, with players responsible for positioning their troops as well as shooting.
"Do we want strategy in our shoot 'em ups? Well, if you're looking for something that's a bit tougher and durable than most games, Space Hulk's very complex levels and massive alien sprites should do the trick. But don't worry, there's still plenty of mindless blasting for you shooter fans." -Gary Cutlack

spacehulk.JPG

------

Daytona CCE's alright, sure it has more tracks and a 2 player mode but it definitely doesn't feel 'right'... not to me anyhow. Not sure bout the rest of you, so voice your opinion.

Space Hulk -- what can I say? This comes as a HUGE upset. OK, I haven't played it yet, but almost every Saturn owner I've come across, has said SH is crap. At least in talking about the US version, which makes me wonder, was the PAL version much better than all else? It had to be... because I know opinions are opinions but... virtually NOBODY ever has had anything good to say about the US version.... perhaps someone who HAS played SH would like to comment... speak now or forever hold your peace. Er, yeah.

Tomorrow we take a look at #40 and #39. One of these games is rather obscure, and I wouldn't be shocked if most of you never heard of it before. At the moment I'm looking for a copy of it...

See you chaps tomorrow. Same Saturn time, same Saturn channel. Later, blokes! ;)

Last edited:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Re: #42 and #41

Steve said:
Space Hulk -- what can I say? This comes as a HUGE upset. OK, I haven't played it yet, but almost every Saturn owner I've come across, has said SH is crap. At least in talking about the US version, which makes me wonder, was the PAL version much better than all else? It had to be... because I know opinions are opinions but... virtually NOBODY ever has had anything good to say about the US version.... perhaps someone who HAS played SH would like to comment...

Wow, I used to play the actual boardgame back in the day. That was lots of fun. I had no idea there was a Saturn version. I wonder if it ever got released in Japan...

Anyway, I think this is a port of the PC game (like the Saturn Warcraft 2). The PC version was supposed to be quite excellent. I guess it just didn't port very well.