Real bout series worth getting?

Ken Masters

Another Striker
Real bout series worth getting?

Hi I know I posted something similer but just wanted your guys opinions on who has the real bout series and is it worth buying or just pass on them and get something better?

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
The major gripe people have with Real Bouts is the dependence on a line system. You have a front line, a back line, I guess a middle line. It's a bit lame, but way back when, it was kind of like 2.5D fighting.

Personally, I really enjoy the real bouts, but not so much Real Bout 2. Having sat through the progression, playing Real Bout 1, Real Bout Special, and then on release, Real Bout 2, I was let down. It simply wasn't an acceptable update from my standpoint. But a lot of people like it. I guess like you, they weren't into the series from the onset.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
get real bout special and then decide from there whether to get the first or third ones as well. it is the best one in my opinion, though i enjoy the whole series too.

S

St¡fu

EvilWasabi said:
Personally, I really enjoy the real bouts, but not so much Real Bout 2. Having sat through the progression, playing Real Bout 1, Real Bout Special, and then on release, Real Bout 2, I was let down. It simply wasn't an acceptable update from my standpoint. But a lot of people like it. I guess like you, they weren't into the series from the onset.

I've been playing RB, then RBS, then finally RB2, and RB2 is my favorite.
I guess you're just too attached to meaningless details, and give them more attention than to gameplay. To each his own.

And although Gohan agrees with you about "SS3 being better than SS4" (something I still don't agree with), RB2 is his favorite RB from what I've read.
I'm not saying that his opinion is important or anything, but I think (just a guess) that he's been "into the series from the onset" as well.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Did you see me say something to the degree that people cannot have their own opinions on what they enjoy more?

No?

Oh... then FOAD.

St¡fu said:
I've been playing RB, then RBS, then finally RB2, and RB2 is my favorite.
I guess you're just too attached to meaningless details, and give them more attention than to gameplay. To each his own.

And although Gohan agrees with you about "SS3 being better than SS4" (something I still don't agree with), RB2 is his favorite RB from what I've read.
I'm not saying that his opinion is important or anything, but I think (just a guess) that he's been "into the series from the onset" as well.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
The whole series is worth getting in my opinion, but Special is my personal favorite. Although 2 does have Xiangfie and Rick, which is really nice. All in all though go for Special first.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I like RB2 the most, followed closely by RB1. I like RB2's use of the line system, and RB1s ringouts and cheesy stuff like linking 30 crouching jabs. RBS is excellent as well. It's a great series. Just because some people like RB2 more than RBS, or the other way around doesn't diminish the playability of either one.

I think if you get into this series you'll enjoy each game for what they have to offer, although as mentioned before, there's something to be said for experiencing each game as they came out. A lot of people will tell you that KOF98 is the best, and not to bother with KOF95 because it doesn't have whatever, or not to bother with KOF2000 because it has whatever, thus turning that person off to a game that plays completely different for that sole reason. People who've played them as they came out are educated as how the game is played, so they're able to have fun with it instead of picking apart what it has or doesn't have.

Of course it'd be too easy to say "just dl teh rom plz & find out 4 urself, thx."

OT: What's FOAD? Yes, I'm really this stupid.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
SonGohan said:
A lot of people will tell you that KOF98 is the best, and not to bother with KOF95 because it doesn't have whatever, or not to bother with KOF2000 because it has whatever, thus turning that person off to a game that plays completely different for that sole reason. People who've played them as they came out are educated as how the game is played, so they're able to have fun with it instead of picking apart what it has or doesn't have.

There are always exceptions. For the most part I have enjoyed games that were pre cursors and found out about them later. Sometimes I like precursors much better.

None the less I am going to have to say that RBFF:S is the best. I like the free style and fun of it all. That is the same reason that I like '98. I like the ones with the most fan service. If a game can take itself in jest it is a good game.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
RBFF for me, followed by RBS.

No 2-page essay on why RBFF is da shit this time, sorry.

Robert

20 Year Member
RB1 feels old now but the two other one are still fresh. I had long debate between the special and the 2 and for me the RB 2 still remains the best one in the serie. I just regret that the corners of the stage are not breakable like before.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Great series of games ,RBFS is definitly the most fun out of the group I think. But I wouldnt overlook the rest.

Ken Masters

Another Striker
I decided to get them both because I cant decide and I like them both equally the same.I'm also getting them for pretty cheap, $95 for special and $120 for RB2. I cant lose right?

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Get all of them, the real bout series is simply great.

Don't forget to get RB1 as well.. many people say it's not as good as special and 2 are.. but I really think part 1 is at least as good as the latter two.

Quality stuff.

And imo part 2 is not the best in the series either. It just doesn't add much to the series as a whole. I love to switch between part 1 and special, but switching to part 2 doesn't add much to that experience.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
My favourite one is RBS, then RB. If you have RBS there's really no need to get RB2, unless you can get it for cheap and/or you want to have "complete" real bout, or even fatal fury, collection.

Ken Masters

Another Striker
I just got my games and I love them both equaly the same.The intros and winning poses I forgot about in special because I was too busy having fun with the game.So what if RB2 doesnt have the intros and winning poses.You will not notice is after a while because you will just skip it.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Does anyone else feel that Fatal Fury 3 and Real Bout Fatal Fury are really similar?

I've never owned the Neo versions, but I did have the Saturn ports, and aside from the ring-outs (and the fact that you would fight three characters per stage) in Real Bout Fatal Fury , I thought both games played very similarily...

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
Just take a look at my Signature...

I love the "Fatal Fury/Real Bout-Series", specially Garou:MotW and Real Bout 2...

You can pick up RB, RBS and RB2 for around USD 280 - 320,00!!! Don´t miss it, but if you´re running out of cash, just take RB2... ;)

Jim is hot

Cheng's Errand Boy
Real Bout

I have a bare Japanese Real Bout Fatal Fury homecart for sale $60 shipped. PM me if interested. I will also trade.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Its all about Real Bout Fatal Fury 2:The Newcomers.

The gameplay is so good and fun. Plus I love Rick. Definatley my favorite from FF1-RB2. Garou though is above RB2 ;)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
Does anyone else feel that Fatal Fury 3 and Real Bout Fatal Fury are really similar?

I've never owned the Neo versions, but I did have the Saturn ports, and aside from the ring-outs (and the fact that you would fight three characters per stage) in Real Bout Fatal Fury , I thought both games played very similarily...

FF3 introduced the "oversway system" which continued to RB1 but was ditched in RBS when they went back to the old 2-plain system of the earlier games. I like them all, and they're all fun in their own ways, but if you're a FF fan, RBFF has the best endings of the series IMO. Also never get tired of making your opponent take the train...