Gameplay Glossary

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
void216 said:
can someone explain the grooves in cvs 2 i really want to know what the differences are like what each groove does and possibly the game series they are from

Read post #15 on page one for more info.

About the games:

C = Street Fighter Alpha 3 X-Ism

A = Street Fighter Alpha 2 + SF EX2

P = Street Fighter 2 basics + Parrying from SF3rd Strike

S = Art of Fighting/Samurai Spirits (manual power-bar charging, etc)

N = King of Fighters

K = Samurai Spirits + Just Defend from Garou - Mark of the Wolves

For an in-depth explanation of all Groove features, check out Shin Pikachu's excellent Capcom vs SNK 2 FAQ V1.1-8 (available on Gamefaqs).

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
SonGohan said:
Jesus, I just got the guide today... Wow, this is just fucking awesome. I was so into it that I had my friend drive my car home on the way back so I'd be able to read it. I've never seen a fighting guide as good as this in America. Just... wow.

Too bad the soundtrack sounds like an old record. I can look past that, though.

Is this the guide you get for preordering?

void216 said:
can someone explain the grooves in cvs 2 i really want to know what the differences are like what each groove does and possibly the game series they are from
They explain most of that in the groove select screen.

As for what games they're from:

C groove - Street Fighter Alpha 1, with the added ability of level-2 super cancelling. This means that a level 2 super can be cancelled by entering another command during the super. an easy one would be level 2 tiger genocide->tiger uppercut (Tak: X-ism is more like SSF2T)

A- Street Fighter Alpha 3's v-ism, with the added ability to do level 1 supers at the end of a custom combo. You can also throw a level 1 super without starting the custom combo (cost's half the meter).

P- Street Fighter 3 . X-box added super canceling so that you can do things like dragon punch->shoryureppa

S-->KoF '94. manual bar charge, dodge, and free supers when you're in the red.

N--> which KoF was this? I wanna say Kof '96's advanced mode...

K-> combination of the samurai showdown rage meter and just denfense from Garou: mark of the wolves.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
galvatron, I disagree about A = SFA3 V-Ism, V-Ism itself is made of elements found in SFA2. IMO, Capcom had the premier games in mind when designing the grooves, and the CCs (which are the "main attraction" in A groove) are best implemented in Alpha2.

S groove's manual power bar charging was introduced in Art of Fighting and then adapted for Samurai Spirits that came out a year later, and given my assumption that Cap wanted to "credit" the first games which had the feature, it's more an "AoF-ish" groove.

About N groove, I agree, it's KoF96 Advanced mode, with up to three stocks, (S)DMs, rolling, escape-rolls, etc.

On a different note, I've just got the confirmation that the SF Anniversary collectiong will be officially released on Xbox in Europe on September 30th... .... happy happy joy joy... ...that includes an Euro release of the Anniversary guide as well... YES!
icon29.gif

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Takumaji said:
About N groove, I agree, it's KoF96 Advanced mode, with up to three stocks, (S)DMs, rolling, escape-rolls, etc.

KoF97', 96' didn't have the stocks you could build up.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Abasuto said:

Yes you're right.

KOF96 is more of a mix between Extra and Advanced.

The dogde function evoluted to a roll, dash turned in run and such...

The really "Extra" factors that remained in there were the flashing bar for SDM's and the manual charge gauge.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
96' was also the first year that it keep track of how many hits in your combos.

I've always viewed 96' and 97' as the dividing line between the old school and the modern KoF's. As much fun as it is to use strikers and cancels to rack up 15+ hit combos that's eye candy; I can still have just as much fun playing 94' and 95'.

Has anyone ever made a real basic FAQ guide just explaining what new features were added or removed for each year ?
If not, it sounds like a good idea for people just getting into the KoF series. I know someone started something like that in a thread I posted right after I got my AES. Only explained a few years though.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Abasuto said:

Right, but given the original-game assumption, it's more like KoF96 basics + KoF97 power stock system, or "KoF Advanced+".

About a "changes Faq" for KoF, I've seen something like that a while ago, and I agree, would be nice to have something like that in here.

I will browse through my faq collection and see if I can find it...

Takumaji said:
galvatron, I disagree about A = SFA3 V-Ism, V-Ism itself is made of elements found in SFA2. IMO, Capcom had the premier games in mind when designing the grooves, and the CCs (which are the "main attraction" in A groove) are best implemented in Alpha2.

Best implemented is opinion... I'm going on having the most in common and, while that's also opinion, I feel that having the option of a level 3 super or a CC at the same times makes SFA2 very different than A groove. Sacrificing supers for the option of CCs is more what A-groove and V-ism are both about.
Takumaji said:
S groove's manual power bar charging was introduced in Art of Fighting and then adapted for Samurai Spirits that came out a year later, and given my assumption that Cap wanted to "credit" the first games which had the feature, it's more an "AoF-ish" groove.
Well, in AoF it was more of a special meter unless you want to call all the special moves supers that take varying amounts of meter. Again, KoF '94 is closer to S-groove than Aof. I was just trying to provide a quick description of how the groove plays, regardless of where the idea originated.

Takumaji said:

On a different note, I've just got the confirmation that the SF Anniversary collectiong will be officially released on Xbox in Europe on September 30th... .... happy happy joy joy... ...that includes an Euro release of the Anniversary guide as well... YES!
icon29.gif
Man, if that's true the US is really getting the shaft on this one (considering most xbox stuff comes out here first)... then again, I heard that the japanese one is coming out in October, so we'll see what really happens.

Last edited:
Better late than never

So, I'm bored enough to want to write some more :)
I've recently become fascinated with Tekken 5, so I figured I'd provide a link to a pretty good intro to "talking tekken":

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php

some new entries for you...

Red Parry
See Parrying (Red Parry = guard parry)

Chip Damage
See Tick Damage

Here's something I got from the SFAC Guide

Trip Guard
When characters jump they can block the moment they land, provided they did not attack while in the air. This is called trip guard. Any parry (SF3) that occurs while either player is in the air resets trip guard.

Negative Edge
Releasing a pressed button. It's possible to execute special attacks with negative edge release of a button. For example, to execute a hadouken with a negative edge button release, press punch, then d, df,f + release punch. Negative edges are used to simplify complex input commands and make it easier to time a button press for a linked special or super art.

Drumming
Quickly pressing all three punch or kick buttons in succession. Can be used to make a hard to time cancel work (since the button presses count both when you press the button down and when you release it...this mean that if you drum at a the end of a 720, you're essentially taking 6 guesses at getting the timing right ).

Douple Tapping
Quickly pressing the same button twice in a row. Also used to make timing hard to execute moves more likely to work.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ok, here's an explanation of the KoF98 Stock Advantage system:

In KoF98, SNK gave up the attitude change based on team relations of KoF97 in favor of a system with more or less fixed attitudes for every chara, plus a random chance of a change in attitude (that goes for all Neo versions of the game), it's just that some charas are more likely to keep a certain attitude than others. For example, Takuma always is angry, at least I haven't seen him neutral, let alone happy in the homecart version.

To see the current mood of your characters, press and hold start at the team order screen.

The attitude changes from fight to fight for most characters. It does so on homecart and NGCD, while on MVS, the attitude changes daily based on the internal calendar, but some characters still have a "preferred" attitude. I guess resetting (not power-cycling) an MVS cab/board will change it as well, haven't tried that.

The attitude system has two functions. First, it determines how likely it is for the following member of your team to help you/do a cover attack (similar to a striker attack in KoF99 to 2k1), and second, it either gives you a power stock bonus or takes one away. A happy chara will always help you, a neutral one may or may not help you, and an angry chara will never help you.

About the stocks bonus/malus: If you lose a round with a happy character, he will give a bonus power stock to your next fighter, plus all power stocks he gained during the round. Say you fight with a happy Chin in round one, gain one power stock and get defeated, then the next team member will get the power stock Chin gained, plus an extra one because Chin is a good guy and wants his team mates do well.

However, if you fight with an angry character, earn two power stocks and get defeated, the next team member will get only one because an angry chara always takes one stock away/keeps one for himself. If you gain only one power stock, the following team member will start out with zero stocks left.

A neutral chara hands over the stocks he gained when he gets defeated, but neither adds nor substracts one from the total no. of stocks.

If you beat an opponent/win a round, you will get no bonus or malus whatsoever and your stocks will increase normally based on the energy you gain from attacks and the amount of damage you receive.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
COMEDISDEGNO said:
Juggle

To hit an airborne opponent thrown in the air by a previous move.

An example could be Kyo in Kof: his qcf+K, K sends the opponent flying ('juggles him'), open to any other attack as long as he remains in the air ('juggled').

Counter

1) A move triggered by the enemy's attack. When hit, the character stops the opponent's action and performs a counterattack.
There are lots of possible variations:

it could be a general feature (CD in Kof, Matrimelee, ROTD, dp+X in Vampire Saviour, hcf+A in Kizuna) or simply a peculiar move (Kyo's qcb+P in Kof);

it could be performed BEFORE the enemy attack, as a stand alone move, or DURING the enemy attack, when blocking;

it could counter any kind of attack (high, low, phisycal, fireballs, DMs...) or just a particular one;

etc etc.

2) an in-game feature that shows when an action by any of the character has been interrupted by the opponent attack.
This could have no consequences, or lead to new combo chances: a countered attack could let the character stunned for a longer time, or juggled higher, or more severely damaged.

Pursuit or Off The Ground (OTG)

A move that has the ability to hit a grounded opponent. It could be a peculiar attack, not available when the enemy is standing (Vampire Saviour, Last Blade, Samurai Spirits, Waku Waku 7) or a normal move (Kizuna Encounter, Capcom VS series, Kof).

Soon to follow:

Dizzy or Stun

Follow-up, Add on

Autoguard

If anyone has any correction, both with grammar and concept, i'll be happy to make the due editing.

i was a bit confused for the 1st part of counter. with you referring to CD on kof. I don't consider a regular CD move on kof a counter. I consider it a super strong punch/kick. but i consider it when you use it when blocking. u know, to throw the enemy away.

Even then, it's not really a counter most of the times, unless you still hit him again.

I think a counter is when somebody tries to hit you, but your move overpowers his, and once he's on the air (though not always) you can still do some more damage. Whether it'd be an extra kick, or a DM, or whatever...

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I'm surprised nobody has further explained this:

Wire Damage

Featured in KoF 2001 and KoF 2002

in KoF 2001 you can executed by pressing BC (super strong regular move) and sending the striker at the same time, if you do this, the opponent will flly towards where you hit him bounce on the wall and up.

in KoF 2002, im not exactly sure how it is executed but each character has a move that trigggers the wire damage. The same thing happens however, I've been told that not all characters have this feature. A good example in 2k2 is Maxima qcb+C or A. I've seen it get triggered by an opponent's move, but i haven' noticed whether it's just a punch or if it's by a move. And though it could be considered a counter, it isn't always acknowledged as one by the CPU. U know when it tells you on the screen....

Can somebody further explained how it is triggered on 2k2?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
jeff bogard said:
I'm surprised nobody has further explained this:

Wire Damage

I did, read post #26 on page 2 of this thread.

There are only Counter Wires in KoF2k2, that's why the normal, non-counter Wires (like Robert's close hcf+K) do not work anymore.

However, most Wires that already were CWs in 2k1 still work in 2k2, like K's One-Inch. In short, you have to do it as a counter to get the desired Wire-effect (re-bound + juggle).

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Cool, thanx.

if lag isn't a bitch, i totally want to fight u once 2k2 comes out on x-live.

COMEDISDEGNO

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
jeff bogard said:
i was a bit confused for the 1st part of counter. with you referring to CD on kof. I don't consider a regular CD move on kof a counter. I consider it a super strong punch/kick. but i consider it when you use it when blocking. u know, to throw the enemy away.

Exactly. As written above, in fact.
I'll take this as a further proof my english sucks bad :(

Even then, it's not really a counter most of the times, unless you still hit him again.

I think a counter is when somebody tries to hit you, but your move overpowers his, and once he's on the air (though not always) you can still do some more damage. Whether it'd be an extra kick, or a DM, or whatever...

Well, no. You're confusing cause and effect. Counter, as you said, means overpriorizing an enemy's attack, hitting him in the middle of his rush; THE CONSEQUENCE (excluding the implicit advantages in terms of surprise and recovery time) can be the typical increase of dealt damage as well as whatever effect you can think of, spanning from longer stun windows to new juggle opportunities.
The effects are various but by no means defining the essence of a counter - counter happens whenever your action is interrupted, what comes later, be it all the marvels in this world or simply nothing, is unimportant.

Then, again, i see where your point comes from, making it not that wrong after all.
As in most young and, uh, sectorial slangs, misunderstandings are easy. It's not like the best minds of our generation spent years crafting and shaping in stone common language rules for the masses, it's mostly something born and evolved from reiteration of use, if you get what i mean. Add some engrish nonsensical coolness to the recipe to have a better overview...
Just to say, as a non-english speaker: is it me or terms as 'juggle' or 'pursuit' are a bit vague, ambivalent and, all in all, fucked up considering what they're supposed to mean in this wondeful world of colors and sounds that are fighting games?

Last edited:
COMEDISDEGNO said:
Just to say, as a non-english speaker: is it me or terms as 'juggle' or 'pursuit' are a bit vague, ambivalent and, all in all, fucked up considering what they're supposed to mean in this wondeful world of colors and sounds that are fighting games?
Juggle, I can understand ( I mean, it's not as confusing as nifty things being described as both "cool" or "hot"), but pursuit makes no sense out of context.

Thought of another term:

Crush (as used in 3d fighters)
A crush is an attack that beats/out prioritizes another move, such that if both moves are exectuted at around the same time, the crush will score a hit on the opponent while the opponents attack will not harm the player throwing the crush. A non-video game example of a crush is in roshambo or rock-paper-scissors. Rock is a scissors crush, while scissors is a paper crush, etc. Many sweeps or fast low hitting moves in 3-d fighters could be thought of a high-crushes since a standing jab could be reacted to with a sweep while the opponent is still attacking, resulting in the jabbing opponent's jab being preempted by being hit.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Just reading this through (some of it is great help thx), and i was wondering. Is there a name/definition of a "Dash" dm?
Examples:
Ryokuu Ranbu
Shungokusatsu
Maiden Masher

Etc, specials that involve a run or a dash forward and only initiate when the victim is actually hit.

Thanks in advance

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
soulthug said:
Just reading this through (some of it is great help thx), and i was wondering. Is there a name/definition of a "Dash" dm?
Examples:
Ryokuu Ranbu
Shungokusatsu
Maiden Masher

Etc, specials that involve a run or a dash forward and only initiate when the victim is actually hit.

Thanks in advance

Most ppl I know refer to these DMs as "ranbu-style" in reference to Ryo's famous Ryokuu Ranbu, "rushing/rush-down DM" would be another option.

D

David Kane

Hey guys speaking of this, I need help with Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (or was it special... don't remember lol) The thing is, I just bought it two days ago, Now once in a match against Joe, when my lifebar was flashing and I had P-power... I suddenly tapped some directions and stuff, and Kim goes over to him and kicks him a couple of times and stuff. Can somebody tell me how to do this. Here's the screen shot if it helps.

img.php

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You accidentally triggered Kim's Hidden Power Attack (P-Power) called "Phoenix Flashdance" where he rushes forward and pummels the opp. with a series of kicks, ranbu-style.

Command (works in RBFFS and RB2):

:qcb::downb::forw:+:C:

You have to be really quick with the move from :downb: to :forw:.

Check out the game manual or some faqs for complete movelists (including H/S/P-Powers) of all charas.

lone_REBEL

Armored Scrum Object
Can somebody refer me to some good moves page for Street Fighter EX and EX2?
In most fighting games I throw a fireball to the opponents to make them jump over it towards me and then I counter it with an anti-air move or preperation-for-attack type counter (e.g. kasumi HCF K, or reverse DP K for Hokutu). Now when I do so guys around me look at each other and start laughing. Is it cheap or foolish or something?
Also tell me is it cheap to overwhelm and corner your opponent once he falls? I ask this for many guys have shown me black eyes when I did that to them in KOF and Tekken