why do people get so mad about conversions

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
why do people get so mad about conversions?
1st you have to buy a mvs game (snk got there money)
2nd you have to buy a aes game (snk got there money)
3rd some put the mvs guts in the aes cart.(they get there money for the mod)
i had metal slug 1 mvs added to my ss2 aes cart.
both games still work great just flip a switch to play the game you want.
nobody losses snk sold 2 items.
the modder made some cash.
i have 2 games i really want. :buttrock:

buster_broon

The Rock,
from the immortal words of 1 member

you are a cart killer

us AES owners love that fatal fury 3 and king of fighters 95 will be EEEEEEERRRRR+ soon

Even sengoku 3 for later stuff

even the MVS owners must love than Metal Slug is super dooper rare

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'm with Buster, It's hard enough to find carts in good condition to play. If you want some hacked piece of shit, just burn a ROM, and BUY THE MVS. then you'll own the software, and you can have your BOOT to look pretty and sit on your shelf.

Conversions aren't official. To think they are is absurd. You're playing the equivilent of a BOOT, while ruining a good cart in the process.

get a phantom 1! PLEASE!

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Conversions were an ancient ritual performed by a tribe of primitive, wild AES fanatics. Some say they are still alive, hiding somewhere and offering carts as a sacrifice to the Neo Gods.

Seriously, there are ways enough to be able to play a MVS games at home, like the phantom (although you still need to sac a cart to make one), superguns or cabs. So conversions are no longer needed. I never liked that idea anyway.

By the way, I didn't know you could have 2 games in the same cart, I almost find it unbelievable. :spock:

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
i still dont see what is so wrong. its no diff than any mods done on an aes system. most of those mods put new holes in the system.
nothing is bootleg. they are all real parts snk made money from. yes a mvs cart is lost but a aes cart is gained.
i did not give up any 1 game. they still both work. what is so hard to believe about that?
there is a switch on top of the aes/ss2 cart to let me select the game i want to play.
it is real what proof do you need?

i would not convert a cart again. back in the day maybe 4+ years ago there was no phantom that i knew of.
i looked and called every where. nobody knew what ebay was. i had pen pals from jap look for me. i could not find the aes ver of metal slug 1.
i paid $200 for metal slug $140 for ss2 and $100 to have the conversion done. :P

now i have a 1 slot mvs jamma board and a super nova i bought about 2 years ago.

i do believe if i pay for some thing it is my right to do with it as i wish.
even if i wanted to paint the cart pretty colors or use it as fuel in a fire.

Last edited:

kyo geo

Geese's Thug
Amano Jacu said:
Conversions were an ancient ritual performed by a tribe of primitive, wild AES fanatics. Some say they are still alive, hiding somewhere and offering carts as a sacrifice to the Neo Gods.

Seriously, there are ways enough to be able to play a MVS games at home, like the phantom (although you still need to sac a cart to make one), superguns or cabs. So conversions are no longer needed. I never liked that idea anyway.

By the way, I didn't know you could have 2 games in the same cart, I almost find it unbelievable. :spock:

Jesus Amano, you truly are stupid. Primitive? Can you do a conversion? If you cant, your chatting rubbish. If you can, your as bad as the people you describe. Hiding? I do conversions and make no attempt to hide this from others.

Didnt know or believe that you can get 2 games on one cart? This just further shows your ignorance. I guess the neo bomberman and panic bomber cart that I saw at Clear Papers house last month was a figmant of my imagination, eh?

I find it a joke that a romz whore like yourself can put down people who do conversions. Thats just ridiculous.:oh_no:

Conversions are no longer needed? What you mean is that mvs carts are necessarily wanted. I dont want mvs games in my collection, but I do want shock troopers next to my second squad.

You have really written some pompous, conceited posts in the past and theres no way I could look at this and think 'its that idiot amano again' and just go on to another topic, hopeful that your ignorance hadnt already graced it.

For christs sake, you even said that they shouldve closed the door to everyone after they reached 2000 members, when you only a few short yourself! Does this mean the last 5000 odd members are idiots? Clearly not, otherwise I wouldnt be telling you a few home truths right now....

Please, unless you actually know what youre talking about, dont bother posting rubbish for those less informed to swallow.

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
kyo geo said:
Jesus Amano, you truly are stupid. Primitive? Can you do a conversion? If you cant, your chatting rubbish. If you can, your as bad as the people you describe. Hiding? I do conversions and make no attempt to hide this from others.

Didnt know or believe that you can get 2 games on one cart? This just further shows your ignorance. I guess the neo bomberman and panic bomber cart that I saw at Clear Papers house last month was a figmant of my imagination, eh?

I find it a joke that a romz whore like yourself can put down people who do conversions. Thats just ridiculous.:oh_no:

Conversions are no longer needed? What you mean is that mvs carts are necessarily wanted. I dont want mvs games in my collection, but I do want shock troopers next to my second squad.

You have really written some pompous, conceited posts in the past and theres no way I could look at this and think 'its that idiot amano again' and just go on to another topic, hopeful that your ignorance hadnt already graced it.

For christs sake, you even said that they shouldve closed the door to everyone after they reached 2000 members, when you only a few short yourself! Does this mean the last 5000 odd members are idiots? Clearly not, otherwise I wouldnt be telling you a few home truths right now....

Please, unless you actually know what youre talking about, dont bother posting rubbish for those less informed to swallow.

I hate to jump into a fight that's not mine, but wasn't Amano just joking?

I think the big problem is what Buster said...basically conversions are the reason I don't own a Metal Slug MVS. It just makes it harder for me to get the things I want, when there's really no reason for it.

buster_broon

The Rock,
m_bish0p said:

I think the big problem is what Buster said...basically conversions are the reason I don't own a Metal Slug MVS. It just makes it harder for me to get the things I want, when there's really no reason for it.

btw i was being sarcastic

i own 15 conversions including a lovely metal slug with manual

i like them, they give me access to otherwise un-obtainable games

and i dont want a phantom - they sound teh shit and at least i know that my buddy who does the conversions is getting real and not bootleg carts - so they are 100percent authentic conversions

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
buster_broon said:
btw i was being sarcastic

i own 15 conversions including a lovely metal slug with manual

i like them, they give me access to otherwise un-obtainable games

and i dont want a phantom - they sound teh shit and at least i know that my buddy who does the conversions is getting real and not bootleg carts - so they are 100percent authentic conversions

yeah, that's why I was 'crying' in the other thread where we were talking about this. (I forgot they were two separate threads)I know you're into conversions, but the problem is still there. If MVS Metal Slugs weren't being converted, I might be able to get one for less than 70$.

Robert

20 Year Member
Always the same thread over and over. Same arguments and same answers. To say something fresh for this kind of subject I will say that conversions are legit if they are made by Playmore.

kyo geo

Geese's Thug
m_bish0p said:
I'm with Buster, It's hard enough to find carts in good condition to play. If you want some hacked piece of shit, just burn a ROM, and BUY THE MVS. then you'll own the software, and you can have your BOOT to look pretty and sit on your shelf.

Conversions aren't official. To think they are is absurd. You're playing the equivilent of a BOOT, while ruining a good cart in the process.

get a phantom 1! PLEASE!

Due to the fact that buster has bought and owns conversions (around 10 he said, unless he won that euro overtop;) , in which case hes probably in double figures now for sure), i really dont think hes making the point you think youre backing up.

I really thought one of my last posts clarified conversions properly, I guess not:mad: . They are not boots for gods sake! Theyre called conversions because thats what they are! A boot is a cart with burnt roms and sometimes home made circuit boards! Crouching tiger, some puzzle boobles, the slug 4 and kof 2002 I saw the other day, those are boots. Conversions are not boots, 'to think they are is absurd'.

Only are fool would think a conversion is official (eh, dion 'english shock 2' dakis?), but theyre still made from authentic snk parts, something you cant deny. If you have a problem with the art work, tough. Its fan art. Most covers dont look the same on a lot of games with the same title (ive lost track of the amount of slug inserts ive seen).

Dont be so sure about destroying carts- I happy to say ive restored almost 40 aes carts to the mvs format, so NO GAME HAS BEEN LOST OR DESTROYED. A true neo lover will perform this whenever possible, as Big Bruno demonstrated by restoring his savage reign cart to mvs after his Kizuna conversion.

You can hate conversions all you want, but when I think of the AES and MVS players ive made happy in one form or another, I get a warm feeling in my heart.

Please understand, a lot of people feel threatened by them, and I understand this, hence my suggestion to produce a guide to identifying them.

Sorry, I wont be buying a phantom1 as the kof 99 chips went to waste and !arcade! sell boots(proper boots, I might add) , so none of my cash will be going into his products. Sorry Ray.

buster_broon

The Rock,
m_bish0p said:
I know you're into conversions, but the problem is still there. If MVS Metal Slugs weren't being converted, I might be able to get one for less than 70$.

yeah the thing is i am not into conversions

if the game was available at a decent price i would get it - the real mccoy

but paying over 2000usd for 1 game - my wife would cut my balls off, so for 250usd i can get a conversion of an otherwise game i would never have owned

out of the 15 conversions i have, 5 are available on the home format but these games are either super expensive or i just dont rate them to spend £300+ on them

my top 3 most expensive games are (this is where you see the tight arse scotsman)

3/ strikers 1945plus = $360
2/ METAL SLUG X = $450
1/ Prehistoric isle 2 = $460

so out of the 3 most expensive games i own - 2 are conversions, but they look absolutely amazing

why dont you buy a cheap mvs game like a bare world heroes and buy an aes metal slug and convert it to mvs - i wonder who many people will be upset then :tickled: :tickled: :tickled:

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
m_bish0p said:

Hey Bishop, when are you going to invite us over so we can play in your arcade?? Or maybe you should eliminate your sig, because you are making me jealous!!!

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Ok, here's why I'm anti-conversion: 1) you have to butcher a home cart (usually Fatal Fury 3 or Sam Sho 3, two of the best fighters on the Neo) and 2) you have to butcher an MVS cart. The more "Conversions" made the harder it is to find AES versions of games like FF 3, Sam Sho 3, KOF '95 and so on. So the price for the remaining AES carts will eventually go up and the conversions will remain worthless.

When it comes down to it a conversion is nothing more than a fan made boot. Hell, I'll bet my entire Neo collection that over half of the people who bitch about Japhei selling boots own "converted" carts, and that equals pot-kettle-black.

I can never understand why a Neo collector would want a "conversion" cart when its not an actual AES cart. The insert is usually homebrew as is the manual and the cart sticker. Its a high priced boot, nothing more.

CONVERSION = BOOT AND YOU KNOW IT.

Mike

kyo geo

Geese's Thug
Michael Yagami said:
Ok, here's why I'm anti-conversion: 1) you have to butcher a home cart (usually Fatal Fury 3 or Sam Sho 3, two of the best fighters on the Neo) and 2) you have to butcher an MVS cart. The more "Conversions" made the harder it is to find AES versions of games like FF 3, Sam Sho 3, KOF '95 and so on. So the price for the remaining AES carts will eventually go up and the conversions will remain worthless.

When it comes down to it a conversion is nothing more than a fan made boot. Hell, I'll bet my entire Neo collection that over half of the people who bitch about Japhei selling boots own "converted" carts, and that equals pot-kettle-black.

I can never understand why a Neo collector would want a "conversion" cart when its not an actual AES cart. The insert is usually homebrew as is the manual and the cart sticker. Its a high priced boot, nothing more.

CONVERSION = BOOT AND YOU KNOW IT.

Mike

Dont be silly. Its not a boot, and as for legalities, I really hope that no one in the US owns blazing or pulstar, as it clearly states on the back that it is intended for sale and use in japan only, but people overlook this for the sake of their own collections.

So I suppose we can say that owning the mvs versions are the only way people outside of japan should be allowed to play those titles?

Fair point about cart rarity increasing, but I really dont think that it will ever get to a stage where there is a shortage of games like fatal fury 3 or sam 2.

People who buy conversions usually know thats what theyre getting, I cant remember the last time some one accused another of selling them a conversion unknowingly, Japhei sold boots knowingly not informing the buyer, so again, lets not confuse the issue. Like I always say, people should own originals of existing AES carts, such as slug and big tournament golf (I can safely say I do).

If conversions are worthless, why do they sometimes sell for more than the price of a new release. Because there is a market and a demand for them, so to say they are worthless really is stupid.

The insert, sticker and manual are ALWAYS home brew, usually people know this.

Ive seen and read your posts mike, you make a valid point about the death of home carts even though I dont agree, I know you and your opinion are well respected, but to say a conversion is a boot and state that you cant understand why an AES collector would want an unreleased (on the AES) title really is quite narrow minded.

People need to understand, conversions are not seen the same way as boots by everyone, otherwise their would be no demand or market. High profile collectors are happy to have conversions of certain games in their collection, thats just the way it is.

All my sac carts come from japan, and I see it better to use them in this manor and restore the remains to mvs rather than let them stay on the shelves, soaking up the sun and therefore being considered worthless by collectors anyway.

I DO UNDERSTAND what youre trying to say, I know conversions are not official, I just think your using the term 'boot' in an irrelevant manor.

Mark

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
zzZZZZZZZZZZZzzz

Same old topic ......same old answer....same old argument....

zzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz:confused:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
kyo geo said:

God, the amount of crap you posted is so big I don't even know where to start....:oh_no: Anyway I won't go down to your level.

First of all, there's something called "irony" and "reading between lines", and it looks like you don't get it, so it's your problem, not mine. :shame:

As you know, conversions are a taboo topic in this boards since SNKP asked Shawn to do so. That's why I like to make this little joke each time this thread appears (which is around once a month). This is also the reason why topics asking about conversion in the Tech forum are closed (you don't need to "hide", it's your bussiness, just don't use the boards for this). When I say "ancient", I mean that conversions used to be made some years ago (and in the videogame scene, some years ago are ancient times) as there weren't that many alternatives to playing MVS games at home, but now it's not the case. So the amount of conversion made has dropped a bit over time.

Sorry, but I've never owned an AES nor seen a conversion, so forgive my ignorance about this 2 games in the same cart. And by the way, it's your problem if you don't like MVS carts sitting next to your precious AES ones, I would rather do that than having a bastardized cart, even if it's made of original parts. And no, I can't do a conversion, mostly because I have ABSOLUTELY no need for one. I'm pretty sure I can do around a gazillion things you can't, but I don't brag about it. I think I am a pretty useful member in the Tech Support forum, I've helped as much as I can other members with trouble about things I know a bit of. And of course there are other things you do better than me.

And now board history lesson for you. The idea of closing the doors to new members was brought by Tarma some time ago, and I OPPOSED that idea in that thread, look for it if you want. Then Tarma posted in another stupid thread made by a Noob, saying that we should have closed doors. Tarma's number is a bit more than 2000 and mine is a bit less than 2000, that's why I made a (oh the horror, a joke) and said "yeah, cut it at exactly 2000" as it was a nice number and it left me in and him out, so I "counterattacked" his closing doors idea. Obviously I had no intention to have this seriously done.

I suggest you that the next time you see a post by me you don't agree with (or don't understand the joke), just reply explaining your point of view, and we'll discuss politely. That's all.

Have a nice day.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
kyo geo said:
Dont be silly. Its not a boot, and as for legalities, I really hope that no one in the US owns blazing or pulstar, as it clearly states on the back that it is intended for sale and use in japan only, but people overlook this for the sake of their own collections.

So I suppose we can say that owning the mvs versions are the only way people outside of japan should be allowed to play those titles?

Fair point about cart rarity increasing, but I really dont think that it will ever get to a stage where there is a shortage of games like fatal fury 3 or sam 2.

People who buy conversions usually know thats what theyre getting, I cant remember the last time some one accused another of selling them a conversion unknowingly, Japhei sold boots knowingly not informing the buyer, so again, lets not confuse the issue. Like I always say, people should own originals of existing AES carts, such as slug and big tournament golf (I can safely say I do).

If conversions are worthless, why do they sometimes sell for more than the price of a new release. Because there is a market and a demand for them, so to say they are worthless really is stupid.

The insert, sticker and manual are ALWAYS home brew, usually people know this.

Ive seen and read your posts mike, you make a valid point about the death of home carts even though I dont agree, I know you and your opinion are well respected, but to say a conversion is a boot and state that you cant understand why an AES collector would want an unreleased (on the AES) title really is quite narrow minded.

People need to understand, conversions are not seen the same way as boots by everyone, otherwise their would be no demand or market. High profile collectors are happy to have conversions of certain games in their collection, thats just the way it is.

All my sac carts come from japan, and I see it better to use them in this manor and restore the remains to mvs rather than let them stay on the shelves, soaking up the sun and therefore being considered worthless by collectors anyway.

I DO UNDERSTAND what youre trying to say, I know conversions are not official, I just think your using the term 'boot' in an irrelevant manor.

Mark

Mark, you make some very good points, but lets look at what the work Bootleg actually means.

boot·leg
v. boot·legged, boot·leg·ging, boot·legs
v. tr.
To make, sell, or transport (alcoholic liquor) for sale illegally.
To produce, distribute, or sell without permission or illegally: a clandestine outfit that bootlegs compact discs and tapes.

Now, unless all the converted carts have been made with the permission of SNK/Playmore and SNK/Playmore has been paid for said cart (not the sac carts required to make the conversion, but the converted cart itself) converted carts are in fact bootlegs.

Personal opinions aside, making and selling converted carts is just as illegal as Japhei selling boots, NGF selling altered Neo items and people downloading and playing roms in the eyes of the law.

Personally, I'd like to see cart conversion die out simply because I don't want the AES versions of FF3 and SS3 going sky high because of people gutting them. :D

Mike

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
leepantalone said:
Hey Bishop, when are you going to invite us over so we can play in your arcade?? Or maybe you should eliminate your sig, because you are making me jealous!!!

Buster: You own them, so you're 'into' it. I understand your argument, and I'm not trying to bust your balls. I would rather people didn't make things I want to buy more rare, that's all. It's not like we can't still be friends. :glee:

Kyo: I would rather someone bought the MVS version, and then played a ROM, rather than destroy official SNK carts. If you can convert them without any sacrifice, then you win...I have no argument. But that sort of conversion is rather rare.

Leepantalone: I've tried to arrange a get together, as I'm right in the middle of PA, and people from all surrounding states would have about the same drive. The problem with that is that NO ONE wanted to drive that far.

If people are REALLY interested, we could easily arrange a get-together at my place. I've got seven cabs, and one 25" TV. I've never seen or played an AES, so I'd appreciate it if someone wanted to bring one.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
kyo geo said:

I'm not going to be an ass about this but, what's wrong with playing Shock Troops in its original form? Plus you took it upon yourself to get the game in the format you wanted just as many users are doing to get SvCC on the cart format they want. Conversions may be made with real parts but its no different than a boot. Metal Slug MVS too expensive when it debuted at 2k? Buy the boot for 1k. Metal Slug home cart too expensive at 2k? Buy a conversion for 300 bucks

kyo geo

Geese's Thug
Amano- I guess your humour doesnt come across to a fellow spaniard very well.

Bishop- Give me your bedroom.

Mike- Cheers for the refresher of what boot leg means (we had to define it in english at school whilst reading 'the great gatsby'), and im glad you see my point.

I cant except the term bootlegging as be aplicable to conversions anymore than a lot of people that smoke cannabis would except being reffered to as drug abusers, but you do make a good point. I guess theres no one whos opinion is right or wrong on this, I guess maybe in if the fatal 3s or 95s ever run low, I will have to eat humble pie.:crying:

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
kyo geo said:
Amano- I guess your humour doesnt come across to a fellow spaniard very well.

Bishop- Give me your bedroom.

Mike- Cheers for the refresher of what boot leg means (we had to define it in english at school whilst reading 'the great gatsby'), and im glad you see my point.

I cant except the term bootlegging as be aplicable to conversions anymore than a lot of people that smoke cannabis would except being reffered to as drug abusers, but you do make a good point. I guess theres no one whos opinion is right or wrong on this, I guess maybe in if the fatal 3s or 95s ever run low, I will have to eat humble pie.:crying:

That's not my bedroom. The floor plans say it's a 'dining' room. Apparently a hold over from a more simple time, before everyone ate in front on thier Televisions.

So, thanks to these ancient dining rituals, every appartment and house I look at has a room just for my arcade. :buttrock:

SNK have done conversions, just look here .

Yes, SNK actually killed a WH2 MVS cart and an AOF MVS cart to do a PDP MVS cart.

Last edited:

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
metallizer said:
SNK has done conversions, just look http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17944 .

Yes, SNK actually killed a WH2 MVS cart and a AOF MVS cart to do PDP MVS cart.

SNKP asked Shawn to help them stop conversions. They release the home carts for a reason, and they don't like people just going off and making whatever they want.

Personally, I think it's your right. I think if you buy something, you should be able to modify it any way you please, and my argument against Conversions isn't based on that at all.

But, Since SNKP has come right out and tried to stop Conversions, I think you're on shakey ground trying to say that the fact that they did it makes it somehow okay.