Lets discuss: Twinkle Star Sprites!

Large

, ,
Originally posted by Baby Bonnie Hood:
<strong>God chains, huh? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ooops. There is an "o" missing :)

<strong>
Anticipate the opponent sending several gazillions of attack chars at you, then blow up a formation and hope the explosions reflect back all those attack chars. Difficult, and risky. Not to mention the opponent might be too dumb to do it anyway.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm... so it is really a question of luck, not skill. Sad, sad. I thought there might be a way to force big chain reactions.

<strong>
As for perfects, I think a perfect chain sends an extra attack char at the opponent along with the normal attack chars from the chain.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll check this out later. Thanks.

Large

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
Originally posted by Large:
<strong>Hmmm... so it is really a question of luck, not skill. Sad, sad. I thought there might be a way to force big chain reactions.</strong><hr></blockquote>

TSS is like any good puzzle game. Just when you think you've won, the opponent gets rid of all those bubbles in one shot and suddenly, you're the one drowning in bubbles. It's all about counterattacking. Reflecting normal attacks seems reasonable. But then your opponent suddenly reflects all those reverse attacks back at you. Boom, you're assaulted by extra attacks and maybe even a boss. CPU Memory's very notorious for doing this kind of thing; she's just so perfect :p

Of course, you two might also end up playing Attack Volleyball where you keep bouncing back each other's attacks.

And the ranking system is still whack. I keep getting Rank 5 and lower even when I finish the game without losing a life (Kim owneth thee :D ). I'm still confused about how I got Rank 2 with Macky & Pentell...

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
I've finally figured out what perfect chains do. They make the Orb appear sooner.

In other news, I'm not trusting the ranking system anymore. I scored 1,300,000 with Macky & Pentell (didn't lose a single life either; I'm getting better at this :D ), and you know what I got?

Rank 6 -_-

Large

, ,
It was nice to talk with you about TSS. Last night i wrote a (German) scoring guide which will be online tomorrow at <a href="http://www.daddelkingz.de." target="_blank">http://www.daddelkingz.de.</a> Maybe your Babelfish can tell you something you haven't known before ;)

Regards
Large

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
isnt there a scoring bug in the neo and saturn versions of TSS?

because in the dc version it has a score bug fix option, maybe thats what happening.

im pretty good at tss. i usually use schmitt or the chick with the pigs.

what you really gotta do is wait till you get fever, the orby thingy, and just shoot the hell outta stuf to send it to your opponent.

also, dont use charge shots. this way your charge meter builds up. then when you get level 2 you can charge and shoot, and send your special atack, or when you get to max, you charge and shoot and send over a boss atack.

and shooting the star medallions gets rid of bubbles, the $ mediallions are for points, and the b mediallions are for bombs (of course)

tss is great. i'd get my high score, but my mvs died :(

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
Yup, fever is a very manic thing. Especially when you're both fevered. The amount of attack chars flying around can be overwhelming at times.

Using a level 1 Super Shot doesn't drain the power gauge at all. Only level 2 and level 3 Super Shots do that. And Super Shots can be useful at times. Especially Memory's; hers hits almost everything, which is why it charges up so slowly. Still, she's such a cheap bitch with it :p

And you don't shoot medallions; you get them. Also, the $ medallion isn't worth getting. 10 or 100 lousy points? I actually avoid it and go for the star or bomb instead; those are infinitely more useful.

Lastly, behold my hi-scores:
PNsObcCoBQIAAC8IQDE_9681_9.gif

PNsOv8CoBQIAAHL4HG8_9681_10.gif

It's on default settings, BTW (3 lives & Level 4, as you can see). I actually don't know how to change the settings ^^;

[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: Baby Bonnie Hood ]</p>

Daisuke Jigen

R.I.P.,, Dear Friend,
I'm up to 34 hits maximum.

Fighting Memory is really wierd. I can bettle her ten times, and each time she will beat me without loosing a single heart. Eventually, after a long string of losses, I will fight her one more time, and she will die within 45 seconds.

What is up with that?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
shoot get whatever ;) its been a while since i played cuz my mvs is dead :(

i never had that huge of a problem with memory though. i think without knowing it, i beat the game in 1 credit on level 4. i thought it was on level 1, wondering why it was so easy and all, but it was on level 4. i guess im just good.

i wish i knew my max chains etc. but i dont :(

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
Originally posted by Daisuke Jigen:
<strong>Fighting Memory is really wierd. I can bettle her ten times, and each time she will beat me without loosing a single heart. Eventually, after a long string of losses, I will fight her one more time, and she will die within 45 seconds.

What is up with that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

She finally decided that you've been tortured long enough and took a dive :D

She does that sometimes. Most of the time though, she's nigh untouchable.

Large

, ,
<strong>And you don't shoot medallions; you get them. Also, the $ medallion isn't worth getting. 10 or 100 lousy points? </strong><hr></blockquote>

They go up to 10.000, but it's still to less. BTW: My German scoring guide is online: <a href="http://www.daddelkingz.de/feat-tss_sg.html" target="_blank">http://www.daddelkingz.de/feat-tss_sg.html</a>

<strong>Lastly, behold my hi-scores:
tsshia.gif
.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, so you just play at an emulation?... hmmm

Regards
Large

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
Originally posted by Large:
<strong>Oh, so you just play at an emulation?... hmmm</strong><hr></blockquote>

Guilty as charged. Otherwise, I would've never played it. I don't own a Neo-Geo (or a Saturn or a Dreamcast for that matter), and I have not seen it in any arcade I've been to.

And you might not believe it, but it's really on 3 lives and I really play it like an arcade machine. No save states, no cheats, and I did not modify the hi-score pics (I'm not that good a graphics artist :p ). All I have are free credits :D

Besides, the game's more than 5 years old. It's a classic, like Pac-Man and Space Invaders :)

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
Well, I've read your guide, Large. It's pretty thorough, and will no doubt help those new to TSS. Also, it was probably just Babelfish, but it's funny how you keep saying that chain explosions are of "nuclear" proportions :p

And I disagree. Schmitt is not weak. As you can see on my hi-scores, he has 1,300,000 points and holds a maximum chain of 47 hits, the largest I've done yet :)

There was one thing missing in your guide, however. And that's the very very weird ranking system that comes up when you finish Story and Character mode. You didn't mention it at all.

Large

, ,
<strong>And you might not believe it, but it's really on 3 lives and I really play it like an arcade machine. No save states, no cheats, and I did not modify the hi-score pics (I'm not that good a graphics artist :p ). All I have are free credits.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe you, no problem. It's just because we at Daddelkingz don't accept emu-scores for our highscore-table, so I didn't expect to see a screenshot of your score.

<strong>Well, I've read your guide, Large. It's pretty thorough, and will no doubt help those new to TSS.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<strong>Also, it was probably just Babelfish, but it's funny how you keep saying that chain explosions are of "nuclear" proportions :p </strong><hr></blockquote>

ROTFL... nuclear is great, I love Babelfish. the original word is "Kettenreaktionen" wich is the direct translation of "chain reactions".

<strong>And I disagree. Schmitt is not weak. As you can see on my hi-scores, he has 1,300,000 points and holds a maximum chain of 47 hits, the largest I've done yet</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's right. I just want to say, that it is easier to win with a more powerful character. Mybe I'm wrong.

<strong>There was one thing missing in your guide, however. And that's the very very weird ranking system that comes up when you finish Story and Character mode. You didn't mention it at all.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know. I don't mention it because it is not impotant for doing a highscore. And you allready said it: It is very weird and doesn't make sense to me.

Regards
Large

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
They don't? Damn, I was thinking of sending in my top score because it beats the top score there :D . Oh well, I still have a top score there (under J'Dar II) :)

Hmm, seems I made a mistake. Schmitt's max hits is only 43. 47 belonged to Memory. I knew I should've been sleeping instead of surfing... ^^;

And yes, it's easier to win with a stronger character. I can imagine high-level TSS play being composed of people using nobody but Mevious and Memory (aka Ralf and Clark :p ).

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
Check out my new hi-scores. I got a new max hits record, courtesy of a grueling 3-life battle against Mevious :D

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I know you can edit emu scores, but they still can be valid. It's easy to GET photos of high scores that way. I mean, I'm back to playing the emulator myself (NOT easy with the kb) since I sold my Saturn copy, which indirectly is what started this thread in the first place.

As far as characters go, personally I find Tinker & Linker to be a very good, powerful and winning team. They're not the strongest or fastest, they're just a copy of Ran in terms of stats, however with a different charge shot, but damn, they're good.

Daisuke Jigen

R.I.P.,, Dear Friend,
Originally posted by Neo Bomber Man:
<strong>since I sold my Saturn copy, which indirectly is what started this thread in the first place.

As far as characters go, personally I find Tinker & Linker to be a very good, powerful and winning team. They're not the strongest or fastest, they're just a copy of Ran in terms of stats, however with a different charge shot, but damn, they're good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And I thank you every day for it. :D

I like using Sprites. She is just the best.

Twinkuluu...Staaahhhhh

What is the deal with the evil version of Sprites?

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
<strong>What is the deal with the evil version of Sprites?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You mean Ran; there's no Dark Sprites.

Anyways, Dark Ran is there as an excuse for you to fight CPU Ran. Notice that you'll never fight normal Ran as a computer opponent.

Same deal with Sprites. You'll never ever fight her as a computer opponent. Ever.

And check it out, I have a new top score. It just proves how cheap Memory is, both in human and computer hands (I lost to CPU Memory in the end) :D

[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: Baby Bonnie Hood ]</p>

Large

, ,
<strong>They don't? Damn, I was thinking of sending in my top score because it beats the top score there :D . </strong><hr></blockquote>

Puh... good for us ;)

<strong>Oh well, I still have a top score there (under J'Dar II) :) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, you're right. Well done!

<strong>Hmm, seems I made a mistake. Schmitt's max hits is only 43. 47 belonged to Memory. I knew I should've been sleeping instead of surfing... ^^;</strong><hr></blockquote>

But 54 is still the best :) )

<strong>Check out my new hi-scores. I got a new max hits record, courtesy of a grueling 3-life battle against Mevious). </strong><hr></blockquote>

WOOOOOW! That's a really great score.

Regards
Large

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
<strong>

And I thank you every day for it. :D </strong><hr></blockquote>

This thread is driving me to the point of near TSS home cartridgedom. STOP IT ALL OF YOU!

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
The Twinkle Star Sprites high score at the <a href="http://marp.retrogames.com/" target="_blank">MAME Action Replay Page</a> is 2,264,947. Highest chain I've heard of was something in the 60's

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
Two... mil...?!? How in the hell--

Hey, wait. Why is the last digit a 7?

Oh well, at least I know your scores don't beat mine :D

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Two... mil...?!? How in the hell--<hr></blockquote>

If you have MAME, you can watch the inp and see how it's done. :D

Hey, wait. Why is the last digit a 7?<hr></blockquote>

I've heard mahlemiut mention something about certain chains adding 1 point to your score for some reason... it has nothing to do with continuing. I'll find out how it's done exactly...

Oh well, at least I know your scores don't beat mine :D <hr></blockquote>

I don't really care for Twinkle Star Sprites, it's too random for me.