The Warlocks of the Fates Prototype.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Does anyone here who can read Japanese have the time to translate for us whatever text was posted with the video on that website?

Yes, give me one second.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
SuperGun said:
Does anyone here who can read Japanese have the time to translate for us whatever text was posted with the video on that website?

Best I could do on short notice, it's rough.

If you don't want some storyline ruined for you, don't look at it.

Spoiler:

kHPWLA5.jpg

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Warlocks is clearly dated 1995 on the title screen. Why is there even any argument that Real Bout 2 is older? lol

Unfortunately, I don't think this video footage tells us anything about another cart surfacing. It may have been only posted recently, but it wasn't directly captured with modern equipment. It's a VHS recording which could have been made any time in the past 19 years.

Spoiler:

kHPWLA5.jpg

Wow, usually you only see storylines this good in RPGs, not fighting games!

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Warlocks is clearly dated 1995 on the title screen. Why is there even any argument that Real Bout 2 is older? lol

Unfortunately, I don't think this video footage tells us anything about another cart surfacing. It may have been only posted recently, but it wasn't directly captured with modern equipment. It's a VHS recording which could have been made any time in the past 19 years.

Wow, usually you only see storylines this good in RPGs, not fighting games!

When was warlocks released?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

Spoiler:

kHPWLA5.jpg

hahahahhahahah

As much as I enjoy seeing new proto stuff, it's an unfortunate consequence that fake Chad Okada comes around.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
When was warlocks released?
It was never released. It was in a finished (or near finished) state in 1995. Its title screen states 1995.
RBFF2 was released in 1998. Its title screen states 1998. Before that, RBFFS was released in 1997 and RBFF was released at the end of 1995. With 2 other RBFF games between 1998 and 1995, it is highly unlikely that RBFF2 existed in even a prototype form before this Warlocks game did. So the argument that RBFF2 is older than Warlocks fails completely.

I'm not trying to defend Warlocks for being a shitty game. I'm just pointing out that if someone argues that an older game is better, they should at least use an older game as their example. Is RBFF2 older than Warlocks? Definitely not. Is it better than Warlocks? Hell yes. People only want Warlocks because they can't have it. If it was readily available, it would be ignored.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
So you're saying it wasn't released before RBFF2?

Let's clear this up here and now. NGF was an authorized distributor for the game, and Dion has told me personally that he has sold many copies to high end collectors. Maybe someone can show us a NGF receipt from pre-1998 for their Warlocks AES cart to settle this mess once and for all.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Let's clear this up here and now. NGF was an authorized distributor for the game, and Dion has told me personally that he has sold many copies to high end collectors. Maybe someone can show us a NGF receipt from pre-1998 for their Warlocks AES cart to settle this mess once and for all.

Oh okay. NGF was the only authorized distributor of SNK licensed goods back then, so we should ask someone who used to work there.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member

I haven't seen any evidence that NGF actually ever had the game in the first place. Does anyone have anything more concrete?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Right but from what I've gathered, Dion's word doesn't mean jack...

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I haven't seen any evidence that NGF actually ever had the game in the first place. Does anyone have anything more concrete?

They had pictures of the box with beautifull artwork on the front & actual screenshots on the back so what more evidence could you possibly need?

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I will say this. The game looks MUCH better in the videos than in the screenshots we've previously seen. I always thought the screenshots made it look unfinished, but clearly from the videos it was quite far along or maybe even fully complete. Maybe this gives us some hope for the rest of the crappy-looking undiscovered games.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I think BonusKun made a typo in his message. It'd make more sense if he said something like, Fatal Fury 2.

The game definitely looks subpar, but not any worse than Galaxy Fight. I suppose if people feel it's really worth releasing to the public, have at it. But keep in mind this means more AES carts are gonna get sacced to make Warlock carts. It's guaranteed to happen once the dump gets around.

Then again, anything is better than more Diggerman carts being made, ugh. That has got to be the single worst use of an AES cart I've ever seen, even Zintrick isn't as awful and it has no sound at all.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Right.
The older dated Real Bout 2 from 1998
versus this newer Warlocks from 1995.

Sorry Billy, I call it like I see it. 3 years doesn't mean anything when the end product still looks like fucking ass.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think BonusKun made a typo in his message. It'd make more sense if he said something like, Fatal Fury 2.

The game definitely looks subpar, but not any worse than Galaxy Fight. I suppose if people feel it's really worth releasing to the public, have at it. But keep in mind this means more AES carts are gonna get sacced to make Warlock carts. It's guaranteed to happen once the dump gets around.

Then again, anything is better than more Diggerman carts being made, ugh. That has got to be the single worst use of an AES cart I've ever seen, even Zintrick isn't as awful and it has no sound at all.

I'd rather play diggerman than Totc.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
so much talking, for years and years, for a game that's SUCH a crap!

LOL

so disappointing...

it would have been better to never see it, I guess. and keep dreaming.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Timeline Perspectives

Sorry Billy, I call it like I see it. 3 years doesn't mean anything when the end product still looks like fucking ass.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course. With regards to your previous statement, my dispute was only with your inaccurate comparison. (you didn't have the dates correct)

No problem, I get it, you and most everyone here thinks this game is bad. I understand.

In my opinion I find absolutely nothing wrong with the game. We have the hindsight of knowing that the game never saw release, which can mean it did poorly in marketing, at meetings, or on test at a video arcade. But those are not always the reasons a game is canceled. But you have to at least be considerate and fair when doing your comparisons, judging the game, and formulating your opinion.

The truth is Warlocks doesn't look any better or worse then any other third party circa 1995 neogeo fighting game. This was a time when almost all the game developers at the game companies were scrambling to throw together a fighting game as quickly and as best as possible because that type of game, and selling it as a kit on the neogeo hardware was a cash cow in our industry. Grabbing even a small slice of the SNK NEOGEO cartridge sales pie was quite plentiful. Just the scraps from the SNK table were enough for a company to make a profit.

Everybody threw their hat in the ring and again, none of these games were neccessarily any better or worse then each other. Hudson brought us Kabuki Klash, Sunsoft gave us Galaxy Fight, Technos did Voltage Fighter, Alpha pushed out World Heroes Perfect, hell even Viccom was throwing together Eye of Typhoon (also unreleased) despite the obvious failure of their earlier effort Fight Fever (considered by most neo fans to be the worse fighting game on the system)

So you have to understand the mentality of the time. None of these companies were expecting to outdo or outsell SNK's Fatal Fury 3 or Samurai Showdown 3. They just wanted to "be there" with anything they could because it was money in the bank as these games were selling like hotcakes.

So, when put into that proper timeline, I feel the game is actually pretty nice. It is very original actually. I like how the player select screen is busts of all the characters, and I like the extra dialogue and subsequent storyline, I like the character interaction, and all the high jumping & flying elements; all of these things work together to bring about a more unique & original fighting game. Lastly, the music is really good! Again, just my opinion of course, but I wanted to be clear about how I arrived at it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
To me this game looks crappy but I really can't say anything until I play it. I used to think WindJammers looked like a crappy game and it is by far my favorite Neo game.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The ones who type, "I don't want this," or, "This wasn't released for a reason," whenever proto materials surface are missing the point. Neo collectors simply adore the aesthetic of the era and the hardware, and we would like to recover and preserve as much of it as possible. When you've already played every NGH number out there, you'll take every scrap of bonus material we only could have dreamed of seeing back in Neo Geo's heyday. Because as the system ages, and that era seems ever farther in the past, the more precious and hard to come by these sweet morsels of 90's gaming become. Of course it's a pointless waste of time and money, but it's a hobby, it's history and it's the thrill of unearthing something lost. I want everyone to see and preserve what developers had brewing back then even if I personally only end up playing it a couple of times.

You never know. I logged more time on Ghostlop than most Neo games.