Giga Power

Freelancer

Banned
And that includes SVC Chaos! I can confirm it because as I was getting ready to play this, I heard the reassuring Neo Geo boot up jingle as the "Neo Geo GIGA POWER" logo came up!

Reassuring and great to see! :)

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
no wait....all the games ive seen with neo-geo start with the "MEGA POWER" intro. I think SVC is the first game that i have seen that says "GIGA POWER" then again i could be wrong since i really dont pay close attention to that. But isnt SVC supposed to run in an enhanced MVS anyways? :D

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
yeah .... i always thought in the old games i saw MEGA POWER **PRO GEAR SPEC**<---on the bottom. if im not mistaken, i have seen the GIGA power intro only in SVC .

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku:
no wait....all the games ive seen with neo-geo start with the "MEGA POWER" intro. I think SVC is the first game that i have seen that says "GIGA POWER" then again i could be wrong since i really dont pay close attention to that. But isnt SVC supposed to run in an enhanced MVS anyways? :D
Giga Power logo is in Metal Slug 3 my man. I'll take everyone elses word that from 98 up its Giga Power, cause I don't own any other 98+ games frown

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku:
oh i see well i really never payed attention to that. Thanks for clearing it up buttrock
Not a problem, always willing to help a fellow Neo fan out :D

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Yes, all the games from '98 and later all have the Giga Power intro. The last game that used the Pro Gear Spec intro was Last Blade, which was released late '97.

kyo geo

Geese's Thug
Jedite:
All games from '98 and up.
Time for me to be boring. If you mean 98 as in the year, im not sure thats entirely correct. Shock troopers uses a cha256 board and is numbered 238, whereas the next game, blazing star, made in 98, uses a cha512 board, same as most of the boards after, but it doesnt display giga power on the title screen. I think that RB2 displays giga power and is numbered at 240. Can anyone tell me if metal slug 2 (241) displays it?

The next one is kof 98, which as we all know, displays the giga power intro.

Blur

New Challenger
I was pretty sure that any game that used a Gigabit of memory or more, is a "candidate" for the GigaPowered logo, and has nothing to do with the year. Some of the games that are eligable don't have it, and I would assume that they just missed those.

<small>[ August 14, 2003, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Blur ]</small>

kyo geo

Geese's Thug
Maybe, but dont you think its cooincidental that the board was updated at the same time (except for blazing star) as the giga power logo was introduced?

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
i dont think SVC is enhanced, bigger meg count but other then that I dont see why it would need it really. i havent heard any confirmation of it either unless i missed something.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
kyo geo:
Jedite:
All games from '98 and up.
Time for me to be boring. If you mean 98 as in the year, im not sure thats entirely correct. Shock troopers uses a cha256 board and is numbered 238, whereas the next game, blazing star, made in 98, uses a cha512 board, same as most of the boards after, but it doesnt display giga power on the title screen. I think that RB2 displays giga power and is numbered at 240. Can anyone tell me if metal slug 2 (241) displays it?

The next one is kof 98, which as we all know, displays the giga power intro.
Metal Slug 2 was released in '98 and it displayed the Giga Power intro, the only Metal Slug that displayed the Pro Spec Gear intro was Metal Slug 1.

<small>[ August 14, 2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Jedite ]</small>

Setsuna1982

World Her,
false!

MS2 have the old intro.
MSX is the first slug with GigaPower intro.

I remember it because I played a lot MS2 and then I saw for the first time MSX without slowdown and thought "whoa... how improved" And then I saw the GigaPower logo for the first time ever and "that explains everything"

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Setsuna1982:
false!

MS2 have the old intro.
MSX is the first slug with GigaPower intro.

I remember it because I played a lot MS2 and then I saw for the first time MSX without slowdown and thought "whoa... how improved" And then I saw the GigaPower logo for the first time ever and "that explains everything"
You're right, I have the rom and I jus' checked it. It has the old intro, I guess I was wrong bout all games that are made in '98 have the Giga Power intro.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
So is there a definitive answer for this question?

RBFF2 - GIGA power
RotD - Mega power

unless I'm mistaken. and RotD certainly wasn't before '98