You SNK-fans got beef with Capcom-fans?

Anecdote

n00b
A friend of mine, a big Capcom-fan, stays away from everything that is SNK. He says that SNK is cool and all, but never gives games like KOF a chance. He also claims he's a big 2D-fighting game fan. How's that for hypocrisy?

Having said that: he doesn't like anything that resembles old-school fighting. Only SFA3's Dramatic Battle has his interest, because it doesn't require 1-on-1 fighting. He is a bit of masher ^_^

Guess what his favourite fighting game is...
smile.gif

------------------
"Your Street Fighter competitive edge", syeah right...

Anecdote

n00b
Gomen-nasai! I forgot to add my punch-line.

What I am saying is that my Capcom friend is a bit of an asshole
smile.gif
Been trying convince him to play some KOF. He says: "Yeah yeah, I will." But the truth is (I think) that he hates SNK, but won't admit it. That pisses me off.

We get along, tho. But I could rip his heart out (exaggeration) for being a dumb-ass.

I guess I should go to bed or something. Not making any sense anymore.

------------------
"Your Street Fighter competitive edge", syeah right...

[This message has been edited by Anecdote (edited April 17, 2001).]

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Anecdote:
A friend of mine, a big Capcom-fan, stays away from everything that is SNK. He says that SNK is cool and all, but never gives games like KOF a chance. He also claims he's a big 2D-fighting game fan. How's that for hypocrisy?

Having said that: he doesn't like anything that resembles old-school fighting. Only SFA3's Dramatic Battle has his interest, because it doesn't require 1-on-1 fighting. He is a bit of masher ^_^

Guess what his favourite fighting game is...
smile.gif

Like it really matters...
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, I've come to accept that people get satisfied with the status quo. Just as long as they find themselves succeeding at what the average gameplayer takes as being cool, they won't care about anything else. That's why most US gamers have such a negative bias towards SNK games, or anything that isn't made by Capcom.

In the long run, it's their loss... in the past, I used to try and argue these facts to such closed minded individuals, but now I just ignore them. If someone refuses to open their minds to other things and expand their horizons, then I would just rather let them live in their own little happy, shallow world with the rest of the zombies. Pretty soon, they'll wake up and see that there's more to life than what's shoved at 'em.

M

Mr.KARATE

You just ignore them...if I say thatI prefer SNK (Which I do) I get my ass kicked in school!!!

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
First of all he seems not to even understand or respect the other better capcom games. So why would he even understand SNK, or any of sunsofts stuff, and Guilty Gear?

Direct him to SRK and leave him be. Get a kid hooked while there young, and keep em open.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black_Hayato:
First of all he seems not to even understand or respect the other better capcom games. So why would he even understand SNK, or any of sunsofts stuff, and Guilty Gear?

Direct him to SRK and leave him be. Get a kid hooked while there young, and keep em open.

True...
Most people these days that "hate" SNK are those younger gamers that never got a chance to really play the older SNK fighting titles back when they were at their peak (SSII, FFS, AOF2, KOF 94, etc...). They also think Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is the GOD of fighters. Not that I have anything against spasmastic, button mashing fighters that are actually lost copies of "Duck Hunt" in disguise...
biggrin.gif

If they want to stay "oblivious" to the rest of the world just because they found their validating crowd acceptance being tops in a Capcom game, let them be. It means another vacant space for more mature gamers when someone challenges you on that MVS machine in the corner of your arcade.

[This message has been edited by VinylBoy (edited April 17, 2001).]

S

ShinYagami

Hm.

I played a friend of mine in KOF '98. I took it easy with him the first couple of rounds, but after he got his confidence up and started talkin shit, I crushed him. And he then said:

" I don't like this fake Street Fighter. "

I laughed until my throat was sore. Then I went to tell him that characters that he liked from a long time ago were from Fatal Fury ( Andy for one )and AOF and so on.

He now plays KOF a lot now...but then there are the ones that are diehard, on either side, and will never change I let them stay in their own world; nothing I do or say would change their beliefs.

My view?? Hell, I'll play anything as long as I can enjoy it, but I have a soft spot for SNK. But I won't stand here and say that I hate Capcom; I play their games as well.

------------------
" I will not be denied. "

JIrish

New Challenger
I must be in the minority here, since I can appriciate both Capcom and SNK games equally. I just shake my head whenever I hear fanatics on one side diss the other or make snide comments about the people who play them. To me, a comparison between, say, KOF 99 and MvsC2 (two games I own and enjoy) is like apples and a ham sandwich; both make good snacks, but there's a lot of difference between the two. Both companies are hardly perfect; I admit I'm not all that big on Capcom's penchant delays and sprite recycling, and I wish SNK had managed to better advertise their games (that's something I always thought they needed help with). Still, I like the products that come out of both of the two companies, and likely will for the forseeable future.

I have to agree with a number of the people who've said that the diehards on either side probably need more convincing than I have the paitence for.

koolking

Super Spy Agent
The thing is though from what you said about SNK and Capcom. People who play SNK games have a greater commitment to their games than capcom people do think about it people would travel pretty far to paly kof. While people devoted to the good capcom games which are few wouldn't
------------------------------
Nasakenai

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JIrish:
I must be in the minority here, since I can appriciate both Capcom and SNK games equally.

Make room in that minority for one more than. I love SNK fighters and I love Capcom fighters. I really don't know why people worship one company and hate the other. You might have a favorite between the two but there's no reason to hate the other just because their business rivals. And like JIrish said, both companies do dumb thing that irritate you - but thats business for you, no real reason to hate their games. You'd just be missing out on one of the companies great titles. It's just like the old Sega/Nintendo (or PS/Sega/Nintendo, PS2/DC, etc.) debates - if you can afford both, then why automatically shun one just for it's brand name? Go for the best of both worlds. I would have hated to have missed out on Samurai Shodown, Streetfighter, Fatal Fury, or Darkstalkers just because of the label.

Stuff like MvC2 being the current rage is in part due to state of videogames today. Serious fighters like KoF, SF etc tend to be less about killer graphics and flash then solid gameplay. In todays PS2/Xbox/Megasystem 2000 market, the kids playing these games are used to the 10 million polygon, FMV etc graphic level. Look at the Final Fantasy series; it had okay US sales until it went on the PS and sported snazzy graphics and effects. Then that series went through the roof; despite the fact that the actual gameplay isn't significantly better than the 2D super-deformed FF's. So fighters like MvC2 and Tekken appeal to that generation with their flashy graphics and spastic gameplay. Those games can be fun for a while, but being 'raised' in the day of serious gameplay I prefer the strategic fighters. I think there is room in gaming for both types of games. So next time some kid tells you MvC2 is the best game EVER, just try and think where he's coming from (unless you're bigger than he is - then you get him in a headlock 'til he recants).

Brandon St Randy

I was Daigo before that other one, ,
Hell, i love both companies.

I DO admit i play KOF more than SF.

I love SF3, MvC2, SFA3. Lots of fun.

Batsu_Power

Armored Scrum Object
I'm a big Fan of Both Capcom & SNK. But my affinity to SNK characters have increased in these days, like K', Lee Rekka, Yamazaki, Iori and others. Capcom has it's fair share of cool characters too, like 'Gief, Sagat, Urien, Batsu and many. So I'd say that both companies rule in my book.

------------------
Sonomama Shine....
Beware of the wrath of Burning Batsu!.... and Dan's Super Taunts!!!

[This message has been edited by Batsu_Power (edited April 17, 2001).]

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Batsu_Power:
I'm a big Fan of Both Capcom & SNK. But my affinity to SNK characters have increased in these days, like K', Lee Rekka, Yamazaki, Iori and others. Capcom has it's fair share of cool characters too, like 'Gief, Sagat, Urien, Batsu and many. So I'd say that both companies rule in my book.

Yes but did you notice Capcom has many look alike char's ?? Like Dan Ryu Ken Akuma ?? They all have the same outfit that's not original you see they just changed the color's of the outfit and changed the head of the char and the move's did you see Snk char's like that ??

------------------
fetch.dll

"So you think you can beat me.?"

Brandon St Randy

I was Daigo before that other one, ,
I dont think ANY character in SNK has the headswap other than these ninja dudes from Kizuna Encounter. any others if im mistaken?

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sogetsu and Kazuki in Samsho 3, but got separated in 4.

[This message has been edited by Black_Hayato (edited April 17, 2001).]

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daigo:
I dont think ANY character in SNK has the headswap other than these ninja dudes from Kizuna Encounter. any others if im mistaken?

HMMMMM...... Maybe Shingo and Kyo ?? I will go check out and tell you guy's later !

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
Heh, my bad! I should check out three, I only have 4 and 1 to go by. I hate screwin up like that.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Ralf and Clark were head swaps in '94 and '95.

Edit:
Just in '94, in '95 Clark got that cool stance.

[This message has been edited by Neo Rasa (edited April 17, 2001).]

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
Don't Vice and Mature share some body frames? In their Decide special at least. But I guess it's kind of the point for them to look the same (they can do no wrong in my eyes!).

Yeah, the Shoto characters in SF are kinda cheesy. I don't know if Dan really counts as a 'pure' Shoto clone as he was supposed to be a joke originally. Fortunately Capcom seems to be getting away from that somewhat - no new Shoto body clones since Sean.

Bufa

Crossed Swords Squire
I think Jae Hoon and Dong Hwan share most standard moves, and some specials. the Shikyo and Mukuro from Last Blade and Last Blade 2 are head swaps, i think.