KOF 98 Combos

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
SonGohan:
Some good ideas. How about when we put up combos, we put up 3 "bread-b-butter" combos (ie: easy, damaging combos that can be relied on a lot in the match) per character, and then stick to more elaborate combos? Funny wanting to change this at this late in the stage, but hey - it's still developing, eh?
Yeah just what I had in mind. We'll post the most useful in battle combos.

<strong>
The next project, does it have to be KOF? Could we do something like a few non-KOF games, then a KOF, another few non-KOF, then a KOF? Just to keep it somewhat fresh. What do you think?
How about we finsh a series and then move to the next? I mean after 2001 there is no other KOF to do (2002 is not worth it imo). So if we do it right now we don't have to worry about KOF for about a year (just coming back once in a while if we find a cool combo). Or we could do it your way, whatever the majority decides.

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Well I suggested switching back and forth from KOF games because doing KOF all the time could get very boring, and from the looks of how long it's taking 98 to shape up, it could be a very long time before we do any other games. Granted, 98 is taking a long time because we're simply trying to get a general theme implimented by which we can make other games with, but still a lot of KOF can burn a person out. That's just me view though, I'd love to hear what others have to say.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SonGohan:
Well I suggested switching back and forth from KOF games because doing KOF all the time could get very boring, and from the looks of how long it's taking 98 to shape up, it could be a very long time before we do any other games. Granted, 98 is taking a long time because we're simply trying to get a general theme implimented by which we can make other games with, but still a lot of KOF can burn a person out. That's just me view though, I'd love to hear what others have to say.
It's true that the KoFs need a lot of work because of the big roster. Personally, I don't fear that it could wear me out because I'm a KoF nut and love every minute of playing it or talking about it, or doing site work for it, but I can see that not all ppl are like that and want a bit of change, no prob with that.

SonGohan, I'd love to take up your original FFS idea and do combos for it. Yes, it's not that much in it compared to KoF98, but I ove this game and always wanted to work something out.

I'd also think that the first Last Blade would deserve a decent covering. There aren't many sites out there that provide infos for it, but I think it's nearly a perfect game and contains a lot of cool combos, specially the speed combos of charas like Lee, Okina's and Moriya's power combos, etc. Good stuff. LB2 would be good too.

Heh, I'd even go as far as covering a WH game, but I guess I would have to do that on my own! :D

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
I guess the majority is a bunch of traitors :D

So what game are we doing next? How many more combos do we do for 98 before we move on to the new game?

BTW FFS=Fatal Fury Special? If so, how is it? Hows the combo system?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Update - New KoF98 characters added (number of combos): Iori (7) , Ryo (4), Chang (4) and Orochi Chris (7) - no combo pics yet.

SonGohan, Average Joe, Diavle, how's your status at the mo?

No need to rush anything, just curious.

I guess the chara strats will have to wait a lil' longer, the only one that's finished so far is Takuma's. I could add passages of faqs or something like that, but I really want as much original content as possible, so it's better to take the time needed to write up something decent.

Missing KoF98 teams (missing characters):

Hero Team (Kyo, Benimaru, Goro)
Art of Fighting Team (Yuri)
Ikari Team (Ralf, Clark)
Fighting Women Team (Chizuru, King)
Orochi Team (Yashiro, Shermie, both versions)
'97 Special Team (Mary, Billy)
American Sports Team (Brian Battler)
Rugal
Shingo

There are combos for some of them in this thread, so I'll work on them next (Chizuru, etc.).

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I got a bunch of combos from people. I'm kinda taking a break though and playing more games because even though I consider myself to be a decent KOF98 player, I can see in my playing that I can be miles better.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Takumaji:

Ikari Team (Ralf, Clark)
Rugal
Shingo
From the characters you mentioned.. the last batch I sent to SonGohan had these:

Clark (4)
King (1)
Kyo (4)
Ralf (2)
Shingo (1)

I'm not doing anything right now, I sent Songohan about 30 combos and am waiting till those get sorted out.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Diavle18:
Takumaji:

Ikari Team (Ralf, Clark)
Rugal
Shingo
From the characters you mentioned.. the last batch I sent to SonGohan had these:

Clark (4)
King (1)
Kyo (4)
Ralf (2)
Shingo (1)

I'm not doing anything right now, I sent Songohan about 30 combos and am waiting till those get sorted out.
Just finished the rest on your list:

Benimaru (1)
Goro (1)
Yashiro (2)
Shermie (2)
O.Yashiro (3)
O.Shermie (1)
Mary (3)
Billy (2)
Kagura (1)
Brian (1)

I'll be doing more for some of them later tonight.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Diavle18:
Diavle18:
Takumaji:

Ikari Team (Ralf, Clark)
Rugal
Shingo

Clark (4)
King (1)
Kyo (4)
Ralf (2)
Shingo (1)

Just finished the rest on your list:

Benimaru (1)
Goro (1)
Yashiro (2)
Shermie (2)
O.Yashiro (3)
O.Shermie (1)
Mary (3)
Billy (2)
Kagura (1)
Brian (1)

I'll be doing more for some of them later tonight.
Thanks guys.

As I said, there's no need to rush things, we have all the time in the world! :)

Okay, back to the discussion about what game to cover next. Here are my (revised) suggestions:

The Last Blade
Samurai Spirits 4
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Art of Fighting 3

...and KoF-wise, it could be

KoF2k1
or
KoF96

From my personal wish list:

Double Dragon
Fatal Fury Special

Discuss!

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Kim:

About Kim:

He is a fighter for justice and his main objective is to destroy all evil. He has also taken it upon himself to train and discipline two convicts (Choi and Change) who aren’t exactly too happy about it and are always thinking of ways to escape. He in addition trains both his sons (Kim Jae Hoon and Kim Dong Hwan). In the KOF storyline they are still children so we won’t be using them anytime soon in this series.

Why use Kim:

Kim is what you call a speed freak. If you are planning to use him as a defensive player you should turn back right now, he is all about offence. Your main objective is to not let the opponent breathe and confuse him/her, you should be constantly attacking with pokes and quick jump attacks as well us his high/low moves.

He isn’t exactly the most powerful character (what martial artist is?) but he more than makes up for it with his quick and damaging combos and two great cross-up moves which also lead to combos. This doesn’t mean you have to be a combo machine to play as him; you just need to know 1 or 2 normal combos and at least one DM combo.

His excellent array of pokes, fast moves, great combos and DMs make him a monster in the right hands (preferably fast ones).

Normal attacks: Standing:

A

Hits in the mid section and is his best poke. Has excellent priority, cannot be used in combos.

B

Hits high. Nothing special.

C:

Hits in the mid section and has a small delay, but a good one. The delay can be used to fool opponents into attacking early and punish them for that. Can be used as an anti-air if your opponent lands one or two character lengths away from you.

D:

Hits high. Nothing special.

CD:

Has good priority but a bit of a recovery problem. The hit box is located at his foot so that’s what you should try to connect. If used properly can be used as a counter quite a bit and so comboed into other moves, especially his QCB QCF+K DM.

Close:

A:

A fast poke that can be combo into his QCB QCF+K DM, QCB+P*3, Down Down+B and his standing C.

B:

Hits in the mid section and is comboable into QCB QCF+K DM, QCB+P*3, Down Down+B. It pushes the opponent farther away than a close A.

C:

His main combo starter and comes out pretty fast, must be cancelled on its first hit to combo. Comboable into his QCB QCF+K DM, QCB+P*3, (charge) Back Forward+K, Down Down+K, QCB+K, (charge) Down Up+K or P. It can also be used as an anti-air if timed properly.

D:

Hits high and can be used as an anti-air if timed properly. Cannot be comboed into anything.

Jumping:

A:

A jump-in with very nice priority and is great for pressuring opponents with short jumps. It is also one of his two best cross-up moves.

B:

He kicks straight up into the air, can be used as an anti-air and in anti-to-air combat if the opponent is above you. Not much use other than that.

C:

Has very good priority and can hit very deep as a jump-in.

D:

Has good priority and is great as a jump-in. Unlike his jumping C it also has very good anti-to-air capabilities.

CD:

An excellent air-to-air, jump-in (won’t combo) and anti-air attack (you super jump and press CD the moment you see the opponent in the air). Its one of the best CD attacks in the game.

Special Moves:

(Air) QCF+K:

A great multiple hit pressure move. Both the versions can be used as cross-ups but only the B version can be buffered into a standing A making this move extremely safe (even if not used as a cross-up). It is the second of his two best cross-up moves.

QCB+K:

Hits multiple times and the D version can be used as an anti-air (especially if you predicted your opponents jump).

QCB+P*3:

The first hit hits high (can be used as an anti-air) and is followed by a hit in the mid section. The finisher is determined by whether you used A or C. The A version ends with an overhead (looks like his F+B) and the C version ends with move taking the opponent into the air (looks like [charge] Down Up+P). Has bad recovery time if missed (its best to just stop the move if you miss the first hit).

Down Down+K:

This move hits low and is great for confusing opponents. Its good to combo it if the opponent blocks your C (both B and D version can be used) or A (use B version). This move has a glitch, more on this later.

(charge) Back Forward+K:

This is great for confusing opponents and is one of your main weapons in the high/low game. The first hit hits low and the second hit is an overhead so crouching opponents will be punished as well. Great for using after a standing C (especially if the opponent has blocked your C while standing).

(charge) Down Up+K (D version can be followed-up with a Down+D):

A fast and damaging move, don’t rely on it as an anti-air because the charge time isn’t fast enough. Use it in combos instead like after a crouching A. I recommend using the B version for the most part because it has great recovery time if blocked or missed. Don’t forget to follow-up the D version. This is also his best wake-up move.

(charge) Down Up+P:

It does pretty good damage and can be used as an anti-air but only if the opponent isn’t above you. If you are sure that your crouching A will connect then its best to follow it up with the C version of this, unlike (charge) Down Up+D and its follow-up, it will connect completely.

Other Special Moves:

Forward+B:

Considerably slow to come out. Can be used after a standing C but won’t actually combo. Nevertheless it is an overhead and can be used to confuse opponents. If used properly it can become a very useful move in your high/low mind games.

Fowrward+A:

Slow to come out but is vital to Kim’s bread & butter DM combo. Can be used as an anti-air and to evade sweep attacks if timed right. Don’t throw it around too much as a stand-alone move.

Bread & Butter combos:

- jC/D, sC (1-hit), F+A, QCB QCF+K DM/SDM

- cB, cA, (charge) Down Up+K

- cB,cB, cA, (charge) Down Up+C

- jC/D, sC (1-hit), QCB+D or QCB+C*3.

- cA or sA, QCF+K DM/SDM (quick and unpredictable)

Desperation/Super Desperation Moves:

QCB QCF+K (can also be done in the air):

This is an excellent DM with great wake-up and anti-air properties, also great for air-to-air combat. Sadly it has horrible recovery time if blocked. The SDM version is the same but does more hits/damage.

(Air) QCF QCB:

Great as a jump-in and air to air combat (if the opponent is below you). Overall, not as useful as his QCB QCF+K DM. The SDM version is the same but does more hits/damage.

Miscellaneous Tips:

1) Use the CD counter if trapped in the corner to get back on the offence, the last thing you want to do with Kim is play a defensive game.

2) To confuse opponents hop back and do a QCF+K. If timed right can counter a sweep and used as an anti-air (if you are not in the corner).

3) If your jump attack is blocked do another jump attack instead of a ground chain. Usually tricks opponents because people tend to block low after a jump in.

4) If his DM bread & butter combo is blocked use a QCF+B instead of the DM after the F+A to land safe.

4) To distance yourself from a close by opponent do cBs (as many times as possible) finished by a sA. Very safe and can get you out of tight spots.

Glitches/Infinities:

1) After you hit an opponent with Kim’s QCF+K if he/she was jumping or after a CD move (when it connects as a counter), you can keep on juggling him/her with the QCF+K till his/her energy runs out.

2) You can super cancel his Down Down+B into his QCB QCF+K DM (no extra power stock needed).

3) If you super cancel Kim’s Down Down+B when you have no power stocks he will flash white. During this you can run up to your opponent and keep on comboing him/her. You can keep on cancelling the Down Down+B, run up and doing it again till your opponents energy runs out.

<small>[ August 12, 2003, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks for the Kim strats.

I'm working on putting them online right now, will be finished tonight if all goes well.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
You know, I kind of forgot all about this project...

Heh, sorry.

Lately I've been in a MOTW, LB, and SFIII: Third Strike rut, and a KOF game hasn't popped in my mind for a quite a bit now.

I'm still willing to help with any combos you need done, but when it comes to character strategies, I don't think my talents (or lack of) are all that valuable for this project. But if you want to give me a run down on what you still need done, I'll see what I can do in the upcoming weeks.

But honestly, I'd be far more interested in doing this with a LB or SS game. I'm a far bigger fan of those two series than I am of KOF, so I'd be much more helpful on those topics :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
No prob man. AFAIK, Diavle has finished lots of combos and sent it to Wes. A few post above I posted a list of what charas and combos are missing, these are:

Ikari Team (Ralf, Clark)
Rugal
Shingo

but we should hear what Diavle and Wes are cooking out to avoid doubles.

Yeah, covering LB 1 or 2 would be VERY cool. As you can see from my latest Gameplay threads/replies, I'm on a serious LB streak at the mo so I could deliver a lot of cool combos fresh from the plate...

Btw., I was playing Gowcaizer lately and found a few nice combos with Hellstinger. There isn't a rush meter in it or anything, but the combos are actually quite elaborated. The engine is a bit weird with its "super buffering" (it memorizes certain special moves and lets you do an extra normal attack before the special comes out)...

What do you mean, would it be worth starting a Gowcaizer thread? I'd love to hear what combos ppl do in that game.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Takumaji:
No prob man. AFAIK, Diavle has finished lots of combos and sent it to Wes. A few post above I posted a list of what charas and combos are missing, these are:

Ikari Team (Ralf, Clark)
Rugal
Shingo

but we should hear what Diavle and Wes are cooking out to avoid doubles.

Yeah, covering LB 1 or 2 would be VERY cool. As you can see from my latest Gameplay threads/replies, I'm on a serious LB streak at the mo so I could deliver a lot of cool combos fresh from the plate...

Btw., I was playing Gowcaizer lately and found a few nice combos with Hellstinger. There isn't a rush meter in it or anything, but the combos are actually quite elaborated. The engine is a bit weird with its "super buffering" (it memorizes certain special moves and lets you do an extra normal attack before the special comes out)...

What do you mean, would it be worth starting a Gowcaizer thread? I'd love to hear what combos ppl do in that game.
From your list:

I sent Wes:

Clark (4)
King (1)
Kyo (4)
Ralf (2)
Shingo (1)

I haven't sent yet:

Benimaru (1)
Goro (1)
Yashiro (2)
Shermie (2)
O.Yashiro (3)
O.Shermie (1)
Mary (3)
Billy (2)
Kagura (1)
Brian (1)

Whatever game you guys pick is fine with me.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
motw !

motw!

cough

Hokutomaru: jump in C,B,stand B,back+D,qcf+A

tickled

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Takumaji:
kernow:
motw !

motw!

cough

Hokutomaru: jump in C,B,stand B,back+D,qcf+A

tickled
Already finished beating Nakoruru? smirk
cough, no, merely taking a break.

combo-centric fighters are good for breaks

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Just checked out the Kim strat, great job Takumaji.

To all those people voting for LB2, check this crazy combo vid out (its on the front page):

<a href="http://www.fighterscafe.50g.com/" target="_blank">http://www.fighterscafe.50g.com/</a>

SilverWolf

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Here's some combos with Andy:

1)Jump C, close C(1 hit), HCF+ C, jump C, QCF+D(in air), from here you can press C or D to make him do the follow-ups to his dive attack.....a good trick combo although doesn't fully connect.

Jump C, close C(1 hit), HCF+ C, run and do shoryudan(DP+C).

Jump C, close C(1 hit), HCF+ C, Zaneikan A version.

Jump C, close C(1 hit), DF+A(2 hits), Zaneikan A version.

Corner:
Jump C, close C(1 hit), Fwd + B, QCF+B/D(in air), follow up with C attack.

Good poke combo:
Down B, Down A, DF+A, Zaneikan A version.

ANDY ROCKS!

<small>[ August 20, 2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: SilverWolf ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
heh

Btw., the openmook site is down at the moment, we're moving servers and it won't be back online until the end of the month, in case you have wondered.

And now...

* fires up ol' 98

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Kind sad how this died off, because it was a real cool idea. I still have a bunch of Diavle's and AJ's combos. I think I just got burnt out too quick, and that compiled with getting a new job at the time left me feeling less like I wanted to work more on it, y'know?

I still have a lot of the combos up at http://snkguitarist.com/combos/ - I did wonder where your site went, Tak. Good to see it'll be coming back.

I was thinking though, if we did start up on this project again, maybe we shouldn't have any vids. That, and keep it strictly to bnb combos. No need for anything real elaborate. Now that I'm getting a divorce and all, I think this would be a nice creative outlet to get back into.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Wouldn't mind to continue working on the site! You're right about the vids (and the combo pics), they're cool and useful but creating them and putting them online for every combo just takes too much time, at least if we work on it on a per-character basis. As a result, a handful of characters get full coverage while others aren't even there yet, that's why we prolly should start over by including ALL character avatars into the menu first and then add b&b combos for every one of them to complete the gaps.

What's more, I will delete the blind links in the character sub-menus ("Biography", "Artwork", etc.) and only add them if there's actually content behind it. I realized that filling all the gaps would take a fucking long time, too long for two or three ppl who are working on it in their spare time. We could always add Bio, Artwork or Strategy Info sections for a chara if we get one.

If you want I could zip the site and put it up for download somewhere for you as a base for further discussion.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That would be cool. I have 750mb of free space I could host it on until you get your site together (got free space when I signed up with this DSL service). I agree with what you said as well. I think we need to build the foundation before we start just throwing combo pics up left and right. It may take a little while, but not overdoing it and working on it consistantly will yield better results, methinks.