KOF 98 Combos

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
kernow:
Sigh, Great work people :)

I've just checked the site out and its looking great, when I get some spare time, (and bandwidth), I'll be glad to help out.

*waves to everyone*
_slut_

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
Average Joe
Just sit in Practice Mode and do it over and over and over and over and over and over...

I can't tell you how much my combo skills have improved over the last week just by doing that. Simply stick to one particular combo and keep on doing it until you find the certain 'groove' needed to perform it.

Sure it takes a little time, but that's the only real way to get better.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing, and I'm actually starting to see a little improvement. I can now pull off the DM after his fw+A command move with SOME consistency! wink

Hopefully, now that I'm getting the individual pieces, I can start putting it all together. :D

As an aside, anyone here have any good suggestions for King? She's been a mainstay on my '98 team almost since the beginning, but there only seems to be so much you can do with her combo-wise. Is it even possible to combo into her rush DM? I haven't found a way, and pretty much rely on it strictly as a surprise move, since it works wonders against jump-ins!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Real Bout Maniac:
[...] As an aside, anyone here have any good suggestions for King? She's been a mainstay on my '98 team almost since the beginning, but there only seems to be so much you can do with her combo-wise. Is it even possible to combo into her rush DM? I haven't found a way, and pretty much rely on it strictly as a surprise move, since it works wonders against jump-ins!
AFAIK, you can combo into her qcbx2+B Silent Flash DM from the first hit of a standing D, so a combo like this seems possible:

jumping A -> standing D (cancel first hit) -> qcbx2+B

Will try that a couple of times and see how it goes.

I think you can't combo into her Illusion Dance DM because King does a quick roll backwards before rushing in for multiple hits, thus giving your opponent a chance to block and counter the DM if it's used as a combo finisher.

Anyway, my fave game with her is juggling, specially against a cornered opponent. I say corner juggling because King has normal juggles as well, but they don't work against all charas while the corner juggles work against anyone.

One of my fave juggles is

(opponent in corner) f+A -> d,df+A -> hcb+B (9 hits)

Because King has no command move on A, you can buffer the forward move before which makes it easier to combo into the dp+A.

Her standing D can be comboed into the Sliding Kick (df+D), follow it up with a B version Trap Shot (dp+K). The Trap Shot does not combo, but this way, you can catch an opponent off guard.

You can combo into the Mirage Kick (hcb+P) and Tornado Kick (hcb+K) from every normal standing or jumping attack for up to 8 hits (standing D -> hcb+D). The A version Mirage Kick is also good to counter attacks that result from a missed jump attack/crossup.

King's Venom/Double Strike projectile (qcf+k / qcfx2+K) also combos quite well. Try this:

jumping B -> standing D -> qcfx2+B (5 hits)

This is also great for quick 2-in-1's like standing D -> qcf+B (2 hits).

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
Takumaji:
AFAIK, you can combo into her qcbx2+B Silent Flash DM from the first hit of a standing D, so a combo like this seems possible:

jumping A -> standing D (cancel first hit) -> qcbx2+B

Will try that a couple of times and see how it goes.

I think you can't combo into her Illusion Dance DM because King does a quick roll backwards before rushing in for multiple hits, thus giving your opponent a chance to block and counter the DM if it's used as a combo finisher.

Anyway, my fave game with her is juggling, specially against a cornered opponent. I say corner juggling because King has normal juggles as well, but they don't work against all charas while the corner juggles work against anyone.

One of my fave juggles is

(opponent in corner) f+A -> d,df+A -> hcb+B (9 hits)

Because King has no command move on A, you can buffer the forward move before which makes it easier to combo into the dp+A.

Her standing D can be comboed into the Sliding Kick (df+D), follow it up with a B version Trap Shot (dp+K). The Trap Shot does not combo, but this way, you can catch an opponent off guard.

You can combo into the Mirage Kick (hcb+P) and Tornado Kick (hcb+K) from every normal standing or jumping attack for up to 8 hits (standing D -> hcb+D). The A version Mirage Kick is also good to counter attacks that result from a missed jump attack/crossup.

King's Venom/Double Strike projectile (qcf+k / qcfx2+K) also combos quite well. Try this:

jumping B -> standing D -> qcfx2+B (5 hits)

This is also great for quick 2-in-1's like standing D -> qcf+B (2 hits).
Yup, those are pretty much a lot of the combos I found as well.

I would be interested in hearing more about her juggle possibilities, as the only one I really came across right now was: (in corner) D (one hit), dp+A, hcb+B.

Also, there's a guide on her at Gamefaqs which says that you can follow up her hcb+A/C move with just about most of her specials, but I don't really see how it's possible. There just seems to be too much end lag on the move to allow you to continue to combo into another move. If anyone's been able to pull this off though, I'd love to hear what the timing needed is! wink

<small>[ July 12, 2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Real Bout Maniac ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Real Bout Maniac:
[...] I would be interested in hearing more about her juggle possibilities, as the only one I really came across right now was: (in corner) D (one hit), dp+A, hcb+B.
After the Surprise Rose (dp+P) you can juggle with:

- hcb+K
- any standing normal attack
- jumping A, B or D
- crouching C
- the first hit of hcb+P

Also, there's a guide on her at Gamefaqs which says that you can follow up her hcb+A/C move with just about most of her specials, but I don't really see how it's possible. There just seems to be too much end lag on the move to allow you to continue to combo into another move. If anyone's been able to pull this off though, I'd love to hear what the timing needed is! wink
I don't believe that this is possible. I often tried to cancel the last hit into another special, but it doesn't seem to work... ...such a combo would be a bit on the cheap side anyway... :)

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
@SonGohan, @Takumaji, @Average Joe: How's your stuff coming along?

@Real Bout Maniac: Joining our team dude?

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
Diavle18:
Nah; I'm just a guy trying to improve his skills at the game! wink

I was never really much into KoF, so consequently never that good at the engine. I can maybe figure out a few simple combos, but the stuff you guys are pulling off is way beyond me! :D

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Real Bout Maniac:
Diavle18:
Nah; I'm just a guy trying to improve his skills at the game! wink

I was never really much into KoF, so consequently never that good at the engine. I can maybe figure out a few simple combos, but the stuff you guys are pulling off is way beyond me! :D
"Any and all help is welcome!"

Does your alias mean that you are into Real Bout games? Songohan wanted to do that next, so you can work on them while we work on kof98 (we'll join you when we are finished) wink

<small>[ July 13, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
We're in the middle of updating right now (don't want anybody to think we just dropped it). There's tons of character updates that we're making with all the submissions people gave. However, there are a lot of submissions people gave that we won't be able to use. We apologize for the people who've spent a lot of time working on things, but we're trying to follow a strict layout with everything. Right now before anybody sends anything else, please wait because we're in the middle of writing a guideline to follow for submitting tips/combos/etc. Thanks to everybody who's sent stuff (you know who you are)! :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay, this looks good, thanks to all of you that sent us combo pics and other stuff, keep it going!!

Project status so far:

Combos + pics added for

- Andy (1)
- Kim (2)
- Robert (1)
- Takuma (1)
- Terry (1)
- Yamazaki (1)

Currently, I'm working on these:

- Choi (1)
- Vice (1)
- Joe (1)
- Athena (1)
- Leona (1)

They will be added today.

The general appearance of the site has been improved with graphical buttons and stuff like that and the combo pics we had so far have been converted to jpegs to save disk space and bandwidth (thanks SonGohan for all the work!).

We're also working on guidelines for contributions to the site where ppl can find infos about which graphic formats to chose or how to arrange chara strat tips, etc. This makes submitting combo pics and other stuff easier.

Also, the movelist for Takuma has been added, as well as general game infos for KoF98. I will finish the Biography, Artwork and Strategy Tips section for him later that day so that we have something to base the other documents/layouts on.

An additional button linking to "how to play" has been added to the general game page, here you will find the basic rules of the game.

I will add a link to a News section on the frontpage where I will post every site update. I'm also planning to add a glossary that explains all abbreviations and move notations we use, all that qcb/hcf stuff, explanations for various terms ("crossup", "MAX mode combo"), etc.

Of course, we will give full credits to all ppl that have contributed so far on the Credits page (under construction).

Will keep you guys updated.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Gohan got my stuff the other day and from the look of the updates Tak is working on, he got them as well.

I didn't do as many as I would've liked, but I think I got a fair amount done. And I've got the list of characters that need combos done for them, so I'll try to get to work on those in the next couple days.

BTW:

The page looks great, I love how this is coming along.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
home.system.packed.away.at.parents.house :(

yearning to bust out some of these combo's

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Average Joe, about your Choi combo

crouching C -> f+B -> jumping C -> qcf+B -

is that a corner combo? When I use it against a non-cornered opponent, I have troubles connecting the qcf+B while in air, either the jumping C doesn't fully hit or the qcf+B comes out too soon and Choi lands in front of the opponent without scoring a hit. It seems that the jumping C pushes too far away, or is it just me?

It works like a charm against a cornered opponent, tho.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Takumaji:
Average Joe, about your Choi combo

crouching C -> f+B -> jumping C -> qcf+B -

is that a corner combo? When I use it against a non-cornered opponent, I have troubles connecting the qcf+B while in air, either the jumping C doesn't fully hit or the qcf+B comes out too soon and Choi lands in front of the opponent without scoring a hit. It seems that the jumping C pushes too far away, or is it just me?

It works like a charm against a cornered opponent, tho.
That's a combo that requires two special conditions, 1) Done in a corner and 2) Only works on the taller characters...Yashiro, Goro, Rugal, etc...

You can't connect with the QCF+B unless the Jumping C hits twice, and you can't get the proper height and distance until you've a giant backed into the corner.

I might have left that out in the notes I sent to Gohan.

It certainly isn't a combo used for everday strategies, but I found it pretty cool and liked how it looked, so I decided to add it.

<small>[ July 14, 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
No, it was in the notes, I put it in on the rough draft combo page - <a href="http://snkguitarist.com/combos/choi/combo01/" target="_blank">here</a> :)

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
@SonGohan

Are my combos safe or unuseble?

should I start working on more?

<small>[ July 14, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Diavle18:
@SonGohan

Yeah, 13 of your combos were usable (I'm in the midst of working on them).

For anybody else, here's a rough draft guideline if you would like to start working on some combos that you can check out <a href="http://snkguitarist.com/text/contribute.rtf" target="_blank">here</a>

Note: This is only for helping with combo guides. Takumaji is in the midst of working on a guideline for working on character strategies.

Also, Diavle18 - If you want, you can just make videos of the combos. Take a video of your combo (as followed by the guidelines), then name it something like Average Joe did like "kyo_combo_A", and when I go through them I just rename it to "kof98.rc0". Also, a small notepad with files of what the combos are would be immensely helpful too. BTW - when we gonna play some 98/2k2 again? :) I'm ready to be schooled any time buttrock

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
SonGohan:
Diavle18:
@SonGohan

Yeah, 13 of your combos were usable (I'm in the midst of working on them).

For anybody else, here's a rough draft guideline if you would like to start working on some combos that you can check out <a href="http://snkguitarist.com/text/contribute.rtf" target="_blank">here</a>

Note: This is only for helping with combo guides. Takumaji is in the midst of working on a guideline for working on character strategies.

Also, Diavle18 - If you want, you can just make videos of the combos. Take a video of your combo (as followed by the guidelines), then name it something like Average Joe did like "kyo_combo_A", and when I go through them I just rename it to "kof98.rc0". Also, a small notepad with files of what the combos are would be immensely helpful too. BTW - when we gonna play some 98/2k2 again? :) I'm ready to be schooled any time buttrock
Only 13 out of 56 are usable eek_2

The combo list will be on its way soon. Its was tough if I had to keep track of both vids and pics at the same time (once I sit down I do atleast 20 or so in a row...), its no prob now. To make the job easier for you I will simply put them into sperate folders instead of renaming them and then you having to do the same. If you don't have time though I can make the shots too. :)

How about tomorrow? I still can't find a good version of 98 (mine always desyncs) so 2k2 should do. Should be a blast :p . (Mai..Kim..*shudders*)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I have no problem with making the shots myself. Gives my ass something to do :D Yeah, a lot of the combos had a bit of frames missing that were vital for the layout we were going for. It's not your fault, we hadn't had a theme to follow when we first started doing this and I was in the middle of writing up some sort of guideline. I feel bad that you spent a lot of time for only 13 to get used. I talked with Takumaji and we thought about putting them up with a little "under construction" under them to remind us to update it later, but it would be easier in the end to just use the ones that we're able to use in the first place.

So yeah, just send the vids and I'll do the shots for you, it's no problem. Just hit me up with a text file with corresponding vids and I'll have them out in a flash.

Just be ready :D All this working on combos and KOF in general has improved (I think) my game by at least 25%. I still have nightmares about your K9999. Man, do I have nightmares... frown

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Wierd, I went through the guidlines and they matched with what I did. I took main shots of multiple hits, I took a shot of a jump in if I did one, and I took a final energy shot (this is where I screwed up though I picked the shots which still had the orange trailing left, I thought they looked cooler). Anyhoo, post the combos that you did pick so I don't repeat them.

K9999, Shermie and Ramon will get j00! Ha, I did way more combos than you so I'm about 50% better now :D .

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
A lot of them though (even the ones I picked of yours) don't start with them standing on ground (if they're to jump). That's one thing we want to do is show them where they are before they jump so they know if it's a small/regular/super jump and the exact distance to be when they connect with the jump attack (even some of the combos up there now don't have them starting off like that - they're going to have to be updated at a later time too). Also one last show of the opponent just getting up too, not flying in the air or standing back up after they're knocked down. The final lifebar shot is what killed a lot of them because the lifebar damage is crucial for showing damage delt at the beginning of the combo.

I know, I know, it sounds real nitpicky, but it's really for the best that we get it all straightened out now so further updates will stay within the same theme that we're going for now. Here's the combos I plan on using from you - <a href="http://snkguitarist.com/capture7.zip" target="_blank">http://snkguitarist.com/capture7.zip</a> - if you could send me a text file of the exact combo details for each of those pics I'd greatly appreciate it :)

BTW, be ready for new and improved Kim :D I wanna play a bunch of matches with you so I can find out who my K9999 killer is. Man, I hate that bastard :mad:

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Andy:

jD, sC (1-hit), df+A (2-hit), bf f+P [follow-up] qcf+P

Billy:

jD, sC, qcf+P [follow-up] qcf+P

Mary:

jD, sC, f+A, qcf qcb+P

Mary 02:

cB, cA, qcf qcf+K

Chang:

jA, sA, bash punch (hitting with the ball move)

Chang 02:

jB, cB, charge d u+K

Chang 03:

sD, df+A

Chin:

jC, sC, qcb+A

Chris [corner]:

jd, sC, f+B, qcb qcb+K

O.Chris:

cB, cA, f+A, qcb+P

Ryo:

cB, cC, qcf qcf+P

Ryo 02:

jD, sC, qcf qcb+P

Yashiro:

jD, sD, f+A, dp+C

This is sooo sad, I had the shots you needed but deleted them because I thought they were usless. What hurts even more is that only two of the above combos were actually a challenge, all faves/tough ones are unusable. *prepares to tear his hair out but stops because it painful*

You have a long way to got till you get my K9999 :p . He is like a perfect character for me, great DMs/SDM/HSDM, fast and fast moves. Just to screw around with you I might not take him at all (have fun finding his killer then :D ).

<small>[ July 15, 2003, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Righty right, the combos for Choi, Vice, Athena, Joe and Leona are up now. It took me longer than I had planned, that's why I couldn't finish the first draft biography and strategy tips for Takuma, will do that today. I also fixed a few errors/typos and changed the html titles to reflect the selected character.

Btw., about the Choi combo, I must have overlooked the info on SonGohan's page about the tall characters.... my bad. The combo is really nice, tho, it's a good example for Choi's quickness.

What do you ppl think, should I arrange the avatars differently on the chara selection page? I already grouped them according to their teams, but perhaps you guys got a better idea what to do. Like I mentioned before, I did an image map of a pic of the KoF98 chara menu, but it looked bah. I was thinking of something like kofonline has, but this is also quite bandwidth-intensive.

Ah yeah, about grammar, typos, etc.: As English is not my first language, some of my comments on the site may sound a lil' pompous or generally off, so if you find something that is grammatically wrong or could be said in a more elegant way, don't hestitate to tell me, I'd be happy to change it.